Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I got my first endoscopy today
I got my first endoscopy today, and I'm going to tell the story of it for anyone who may want a story from someone other than a doctor. But first, some history... I was incorrectly diagnosed with celiac disease last month and they thought they solved all the stomach issues cutting out the gluten, but a month later I was still having issues so they ordered a upper endoscopy to check out my insides. For those who don't know what an endoscopy is, here is an example below. [img]http://www.thegastrogroup.com/images/UGI-Endoscopy.gif[/img] Now for how it went... They have you not eat or drink for 12 hours before the procedure. Not that I had much of an appetite from being extremely nervous, but I was thirsty. It was bearable though, usually I cope with my nausea with mints and gum, but because I couldn't have it because of the procedure, I chewed on mint flossers instead. Pretty weird but It helped me cope and hey... my teeth are flossed. When I got there they were speedy. They got me registered. Then they checked my weight. Then they transported me to the surgery part of the hospital. We waited until the nurse took me back into my room. When the nurse came she had me change into a gown and slippers. And they took a urine sample... gross. They took me to my room where I waited for the nurse to come in to hook me up to fluids because you get dehydrated when you don't drink. It was pretty painless, all you feel is the initial needle and then it's completely fine, and doesn't hurt a bit to take out. The doctor that puts people to sleep came in after to see if we had questions and to explain what will happen. And when they were ready to do the endoscopy they roll you into the procedure room on your bed and they attach the medicine that makes you in a deep sleep through the fluid and it's really peaceful after wards. You don't feel a thing. when I woke up I was confused where I was. I kept rubbing my eyes, they don't want you doing that, lol! Then they took me back to a recovery room where I had a snack and a drink and I was ready to go. Then they wheeled me to my car in a wheelchair. Sorry for so much writing. I'm putting this for anyone who may be getting an endoscopy just to show my experience with it.
I got my first endoscopy today, and I'm going to tell the story of it for anyone who may want a story from someone other than a doctor. But first, some history...

I was incorrectly diagnosed with celiac disease last month and they thought they solved all the stomach issues cutting out the gluten, but a month later I was still having issues so they ordered a upper endoscopy to check out my insides.
For those who don't know what an endoscopy is, here is an example below.
UGI-Endoscopy.gif

Now for how it went...

They have you not eat or drink for 12 hours before the procedure. Not that I had much of an appetite from being extremely nervous, but I was thirsty. It was bearable though, usually I cope with my nausea with mints and gum, but because I couldn't have it because of the procedure, I chewed on mint flossers instead. Pretty weird but It helped me cope and hey... my teeth are flossed. When I got there they were speedy. They got me registered. Then they checked my weight. Then they transported me to the surgery part of the hospital. We waited until the nurse took me back into my room. When the nurse came she had me change into a gown and slippers. And they took a urine sample... gross. They took me to my room where I waited for the nurse to come in to hook me up to fluids because you get dehydrated when you don't drink. It was pretty painless, all you feel is the initial needle and then it's completely fine, and doesn't hurt a bit to take out. The doctor that puts people to sleep came in after to see if we had questions and to explain what will happen. And when they were ready to do the endoscopy they roll you into the procedure room on your bed and they attach the medicine that makes you in a deep sleep through the fluid and it's really peaceful after wards. You don't feel a thing. when I woke up I was confused where I was. I kept rubbing my eyes, they don't want you doing that, lol! Then they took me back to a recovery room where I had a snack and a drink and I was ready to go. Then they wheeled me to my car in a wheelchair.

Sorry for so much writing. I'm putting this for anyone who may be getting an endoscopy just to show my experience with it.
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.pngtumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
I'm glad you shared this. Very educational.
I'm glad you shared this. Very educational.
FR Pudding Art: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/2174676
I had one a long time ago while my doctors were trying to figure out why I was saying there was something in my throat stopping me from eating. (It was my tonsils.) Mine didn't go as smoothly though.

I woke up a little bit during the middle of them doing it. I clearly remember staring at my doctor as she said 'no, it's alright, keep going' and all I wanted to say was 'NO, it's NOT alright, I am awake, and this feels WRONG!' But of course you can't say anything while that is happening to you. I did fall right back asleep, but the memory and the feeling still haunt me. I didn't wake up great either. I felt sick, and they gave me all the nausea medicine that they could legally give me, and I still felt sick. And I clearly remember yelling everything after waking up because it felt like I couldn't hear anything.

So yeah, my bad experience with one. /)-(\
I had one a long time ago while my doctors were trying to figure out why I was saying there was something in my throat stopping me from eating. (It was my tonsils.) Mine didn't go as smoothly though.

I woke up a little bit during the middle of them doing it. I clearly remember staring at my doctor as she said 'no, it's alright, keep going' and all I wanted to say was 'NO, it's NOT alright, I am awake, and this feels WRONG!' But of course you can't say anything while that is happening to you. I did fall right back asleep, but the memory and the feeling still haunt me. I didn't wake up great either. I felt sick, and they gave me all the nausea medicine that they could legally give me, and I still felt sick. And I clearly remember yelling everything after waking up because it felt like I couldn't hear anything.

So yeah, my bad experience with one. /)-(\
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
i have celiac too, glad i havent had to do this. hope everything goes okay for you.
i have celiac too, glad i havent had to do this. hope everything goes okay for you.
ytkEBod.pngll0CfnD.png510b8a63d40dc52d20b17daf90107ad8a80d4b80.png
Ah yes, always fun. I had my first endoscopy a couple years ago when I was 19 or 20, and though it only showed that I have some stress-related issues, it was not pleasant. I was high as a kite after that procedure; I never react well to anaesthetic.

My poor brother, though, had his first endoscopy the other day, and it turned up that he has ulcerative colitis.... that's a hard diagnosis to live with. Celiac is too!
Ah yes, always fun. I had my first endoscopy a couple years ago when I was 19 or 20, and though it only showed that I have some stress-related issues, it was not pleasant. I was high as a kite after that procedure; I never react well to anaesthetic.

My poor brother, though, had his first endoscopy the other day, and it turned up that he has ulcerative colitis.... that's a hard diagnosis to live with. Celiac is too!
nbc-giantpumpkin.gif