Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The Big Challenge - drawing
1 2 3 4
@GrumpyCatlover
@mermaidcoin
@ghostparades
@TheCorruptedOne
Hi again! ^^
There he is - Flowey the Flower. This time, it's not a redraw.
With this post, I'm moving to dA, feel free to send me a friend/follow my challenge (Nidda0). :)

Day - 6
Time - ~2-3h
@GrumpyCatlover
@mermaidcoin
@ghostparades
@TheCorruptedOne
Hi again! ^^
There he is - Flowey the Flower. This time, it's not a redraw.
With this post, I'm moving to dA, feel free to send me a friend/follow my challenge (Nidda0). :)

Day - 6
Time - ~2-3h
ShadowFamiliars_zps1fqxjqds.png
@Nidda the shading is SUPER well done in this! u clearly have the light source worked out which helps him look more 3 dimensional
@Nidda the shading is SUPER well done in this! u clearly have the light source worked out which helps him look more 3 dimensional
@Nidda

Very nice drawings! I especially love how you shade! Good work!
@Nidda

Very nice drawings! I especially love how you shade! Good work!
........ deity_shadowbinder_by_dogi_crimson-da4xq7y.gif tumblr_inline_oqxzzokthn1r2ao8y_540.png
@Nidda ooo flowey looks really cool! That shading is really nice, I think you have a good grasp on shading already. [b]1. I don't think I'm really talented. Can I learn without this or it's pointless?[/b] This is such a common mistake, you don't NEED talent! It's just pure practice, honestly! [b]2. Where should I start? What to practice first? I heard that beginners should start drawing their favourite characters, things etc. Is that true?[/b] This is very, very boring, but draw things from real life. Draw the buildings and people you see, carry around a sketchbook and pencils. Draw EVERYTHING, not just the things you want to draw. It might seem really dumb if you just want to draw undertale characters and not much else, but it does does does does help so much. Because it will teach you perspective, and the basic proportions of the human body, and how to portray difference textures, and how to sketch well, and more, all these basic skills that you will 100% need. [b]3. Will redrawing teach me something?[/b] Yup! Drawing a thing over and over again (maybe from different angles or something) helps you understand it more and also understand what it is that you might be doing wrong that left you unhappy with the first drawing. [b]4. How much time should I spend daily for drawing?[/b] As much as you possibly can! [b]5. Should I look up for some tutorials? ('how to draw hand' for example) I heard it's not a good thing, don't really know why ^^'[/b] Yes, sure, as long as you're positive that it's a good tutorial. I don't know why it isn't supposed to be a good thing, it can help for something that you really don't get, like hands. Hands are super hard, yes.. But what is a better idea is using your own hand or the hands of others as reference. I once spent a day at school just drawing people's hands.. I'm still pretty bad at them but I actually figured out quite a bit from it, like this (sorry for big image): [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2CmrMRXoA8Q/maxresdefault.jpg[/img] see, hands are a lopsided rectangle with the fingers arranged in a certain way like so. I could have just googled "hand tutorial" like i did to find this picture, but really, drawing from life is better. But tutorials are still perfectly fine! [b]6. Could you give me tips? Or, maybe, tell me how did you started?[/b] Hmm... First, some things I noticed about your drawings (only a little harsh don't worry lmao) 1. In the first one, Sans' proportions are super off. He looks a little broken.. I would go back to sketching and studying chubby short people so you can get a better idea of what angle the head should be at, how long his body parts should be, etc.. 2. The skull, too, you did a pretty good job with it but maybe you should look at some actual skulls and sketch them and stuff. But it's actually pretty great compared to my first or second try at drawing a skull 3. And I'm guessing the way you drew it was you put a pencil to the paper and just drew the final thick lines? I could be wrong, I'm no expert, but it looks kind of like you had minimal or no sketch. The sketch is very important! Draw very lightly the basic shapes, then come in with the darker lines and details once you're satisfied. Don't forget to study the basic human skeleton and all that: [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BvrocH4noms/maxresdefault.jpg[/img] everything is basic shapes with light strokes, then details and fancy things over that. That's a pretty good rule to follow! There's another thing, called the line of action, that's pretty good for drawing things in motion: [img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/98/18/9d/98189db99f1cde7c4c1ae5b09ad2b5d4.jpg[/img] And how I started drawing.. I don't know, I just started drawing! And drawing, and drawing.. ack man alive that got long, but I hope it's helpful!! Ping me if you draw anything else, won't you :)
@Nidda
ooo flowey looks really cool! That shading is really nice, I think you have a good grasp on shading already.

1. I don't think I'm really talented. Can I learn without this or it's pointless?
This is such a common mistake, you don't NEED talent! It's just pure practice, honestly!

2. Where should I start? What to practice first? I heard that beginners should start drawing their favourite characters, things etc. Is that true?
This is very, very boring, but draw things from real life. Draw the buildings and people you see, carry around a sketchbook and pencils. Draw EVERYTHING, not just the things you want to draw. It might seem really dumb if you just want to draw undertale characters and not much else, but it does does does does help so much. Because it will teach you perspective, and the basic proportions of the human body, and how to portray difference textures, and how to sketch well, and more, all these basic skills that you will 100% need.

3. Will redrawing teach me something?
Yup! Drawing a thing over and over again (maybe from different angles or something) helps you understand it more and also understand what it is that you might be doing wrong that left you unhappy with the first drawing.

4. How much time should I spend daily for drawing?
As much as you possibly can!

5. Should I look up for some tutorials? ('how to draw hand' for example) I heard it's not a good thing, don't really know why ^^'
Yes, sure, as long as you're positive that it's a good tutorial. I don't know why it isn't supposed to be a good thing, it can help for something that you really don't get, like hands. Hands are super hard, yes..
But what is a better idea is using your own hand or the hands of others as reference. I once spent a day at school just drawing people's hands.. I'm still pretty bad at them but I actually figured out quite a bit from it, like this (sorry for big image):

maxresdefault.jpg
see, hands are a lopsided rectangle with the fingers arranged in a certain way like so. I could have just googled "hand tutorial" like i did to find this picture, but really, drawing from life is better. But tutorials are still perfectly fine!

6. Could you give me tips? Or, maybe, tell me how did you started?
Hmm... First, some things I noticed about your drawings (only a little harsh don't worry lmao)
1. In the first one, Sans' proportions are super off. He looks a little broken.. I would go back to sketching and studying chubby short people so you can get a better idea of what angle the head should be at, how long his body parts should be, etc..
2. The skull, too, you did a pretty good job with it but maybe you should look at some actual skulls and sketch them and stuff. But it's actually pretty great compared to my first or second try at drawing a skull
3. And I'm guessing the way you drew it was you put a pencil to the paper and just drew the final thick lines? I could be wrong, I'm no expert, but it looks kind of like you had minimal or no sketch. The sketch is very important! Draw very lightly the basic shapes, then come in with the darker lines and details once you're satisfied. Don't forget to study the basic human skeleton and all that:
maxresdefault.jpg
everything is basic shapes with light strokes, then details and fancy things over that. That's a pretty good rule to follow!

There's another thing, called the line of action, that's pretty good for drawing things in motion:
98189db99f1cde7c4c1ae5b09ad2b5d4.jpg
And how I started drawing.. I don't know, I just started drawing! And drawing, and drawing.. ack

man alive that got long, but I hope it's helpful!! Ping me if you draw anything else, won't you :)
olly / 15
@Mythie

Yeah... the first Sans looks really bad, I know :D
So far, my biggest problems are sketching (I was trying, but every time I ended up with drawing final lines) and perspective (magic for me, 3D too).
If you want to follow my challenge, you can always check my dA (Nidda0). It's empty for now, but soon I'll start filling it up with drawings. Since my winter break has ended, I don't have as much time as few days ago.
(and I love Undertale as hell, well, watching fan-arts is my motivation and one of my main reasons ^^')
@Mythie

Yeah... the first Sans looks really bad, I know :D
So far, my biggest problems are sketching (I was trying, but every time I ended up with drawing final lines) and perspective (magic for me, 3D too).
If you want to follow my challenge, you can always check my dA (Nidda0). It's empty for now, but soon I'll start filling it up with drawings. Since my winter break has ended, I don't have as much time as few days ago.
(and I love Undertale as hell, well, watching fan-arts is my motivation and one of my main reasons ^^')
ShadowFamiliars_zps1fqxjqds.png
There is no such thing as talent, just hard work and determination. I went from drawing stick figures to doing realism, but it didn't happen overnight. It took almost my whole life of drawing to get to where i am now. As for how to start, i don't think it matters too much what you draw, just that your drawing. I recommended using references of real people and animals so you learn how things look and get your anatomy and porportions right. If i could start over i would start by drawing from life, which from what I've heard improves your drawing and observation skills the most. This is just my opinion though. Look at other people's work and see if you can figure out how they drew it, but don't steal of course. If you do a redraw or trace, don't claim it as your own or make money off it and you'll be fine.
There is no such thing as talent, just hard work and determination. I went from drawing stick figures to doing realism, but it didn't happen overnight. It took almost my whole life of drawing to get to where i am now. As for how to start, i don't think it matters too much what you draw, just that your drawing. I recommended using references of real people and animals so you learn how things look and get your anatomy and porportions right. If i could start over i would start by drawing from life, which from what I've heard improves your drawing and observation skills the most. This is just my opinion though. Look at other people's work and see if you can figure out how they drew it, but don't steal of course. If you do a redraw or trace, don't claim it as your own or make money off it and you'll be fine.
XwzJAeR.png
@Nidda
1. Talent is a BS word. It's just a lazy term to describe why some people are more skilled than others. The people who are praised as "talented" are usually either people who have it running in their blood and have been doing it instinctively since they could hold pencils, or people who have worked very hard to get where they are by spending lots of time devoted to adapting to the practice. Some people just are more into drawing and ultimately draw better than their peers. Some people just have a creative mindset. There's not much to it other than that.

2. Well, it depends. What piques your interest? Do you want to draw landscapes? Or living things? Still life? Do you want to do realism and look at an object then recreate it on paper or are you interested in cartoonism? Do you want to be self taught or educated? You should do something that you are comfortable and happy with.

I'm not sure about this one actually, I've never done it. My guess is yes, I'd give it a shot if I were you. It could be a good way to train your eye.

Don't force it honestly, if you want to draw then draw but the motivation and ideas should come naturally. It depends for every person. I like to spend my entire day dedicating to making new pictures over the weekend but maybe other artists only want to spend 2 or 3 hours. Experiment and see what fits you the most.

5. Should I look up for some tutorials? ('how to draw hand' for example) I heard it's not a good thing, don't really know why ^^'
Personally I'd recommend references over tutorials because " drawing tutorials " can be hit or miss.

I couldn't really tell you how to get started because drawing is something that has been running in my family for many generations and it just came to me instinctively.
I could offer some advice though. I never forget is to never be afraid to erase part of your art if you're unhappy with it. I also think you shouldn't "force" art on yourself, if it bores you and you're half-a$$ing it then I like to try a new drawing or take a break from your work. You could always ask me if you want advice on anything though!

Drawing is a very fun practice, I'm interested to see what you'll make!
@Nidda
1. Talent is a BS word. It's just a lazy term to describe why some people are more skilled than others. The people who are praised as "talented" are usually either people who have it running in their blood and have been doing it instinctively since they could hold pencils, or people who have worked very hard to get where they are by spending lots of time devoted to adapting to the practice. Some people just are more into drawing and ultimately draw better than their peers. Some people just have a creative mindset. There's not much to it other than that.

2. Well, it depends. What piques your interest? Do you want to draw landscapes? Or living things? Still life? Do you want to do realism and look at an object then recreate it on paper or are you interested in cartoonism? Do you want to be self taught or educated? You should do something that you are comfortable and happy with.

I'm not sure about this one actually, I've never done it. My guess is yes, I'd give it a shot if I were you. It could be a good way to train your eye.

Don't force it honestly, if you want to draw then draw but the motivation and ideas should come naturally. It depends for every person. I like to spend my entire day dedicating to making new pictures over the weekend but maybe other artists only want to spend 2 or 3 hours. Experiment and see what fits you the most.

Personally I'd recommend references over tutorials because " drawing tutorials " can be hit or miss.

I couldn't really tell you how to get started because drawing is something that has been running in my family for many generations and it just came to me instinctively.
I could offer some advice though. I never forget is to never be afraid to erase part of your art if you're unhappy with it. I also think you shouldn't "force" art on yourself, if it bores you and you're half-a$$ing it then I like to try a new drawing or take a break from your work. You could always ask me if you want advice on anything though!

Drawing is a very fun practice, I'm interested to see what you'll make!
1 2 3 4