Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The Big Challenge - drawing
1 2 3 4
@nidda yesssss!!!! hmu!
@nidda yesssss!!!! hmu!
dang dang diggity dangadang
@Nidda hiya! your picture came out pretty good! if you're stuck on shadows and highlights, draw an arrow on where the light would come in and darken the areas that can't quite reach it. i'd put the arrows around the top of sans' head and his left side, so mostly his right side is dark.

onto your questions:

1. talent is something you earn and gradually grows. some may have a "natural" talent, but that's only because they picked something they knew they'd like and pursued it. i knew i liked art at a young age and i was often praised for my work, so i kept drawing and drawing.

2. definitely start on your favorite things! my interests switched around a lot so that's how i was able to draw a bunch of stuff, but i think my first major interest was big cats so i drew a bunch of them.

3. if you mean by tracing, then absolutely. a lot of beginner artists use tracing to figure out how to draw certain things and eventually draw it in their style. as long as you do not trace over a picture completely and upload it claiming to be your own work, you are A-okay.

4. depends on how you feel and how much time you have. even if it's just a 3 minute headshot, it still counts as a drawing. i can't even tell you how many headshots i have when i was trying to figure out my style and how to draw certain face shapes.

5. there's tons of tutorials online so good luck finding some that helps! i think the only bad thing about it is that some tutorials are just like "here's how to draw this MY way and if MY way doesn't help well go look at something else". i dunno, maybe that's just me. those kinds of tutorials are okay if you like that style but if it doesn't fit with your style, try something else.

6. if you don't know how to draw something, USE! A! REFERENCE! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. never try drawing a character or background "from memory" unless you've drawn it a bunch of times, chances are it won't look like undyne in the forest or city. the only tricky part about references is that, if you draw everything exactly, it'll clash with your style. here's two great videos about drawing from references: x / x

how did i start? hm... i think i was around 5 when i started drawing, then when i was 12 i discovered youtube and dA. that's when i first got my tablet and tried drawing a bunch. (i was really into the zelda fandom so i drew pretty much every incarnation of link.) there were plenty of times where i felt discouraged because there were people my age (and even younger!) that could draw better than me. so i would keep asking myself, "what am i doing wrong? why do i suck?"

i wasn't necessarily doing anything wrong, because there's no right way to draw, but i think my problem was that i didn't know my style. it's honestly one of the hardest parts with art. it took me until junior year in high school to figure it out on paper, but not on digital. none of the lineart settings really spoke to me. but, just last year, i picked up the binary/pixel brush in SAI, and i fell in love. i have never drawn so much digitally, and i actually finished some pictures! i've never done that before! it took me almost 10 years of digital drawing to figure it out, but it was so worth it.

oh, that's another thing: don't expect to get better over night. van gogh and picasso didn't just decide to pick up a brush and become the most influential artists the next day. it took them years to get even close to where they got.

...whew i wrote a lot. sorry, i'm just really passionate about art and i love helping out fellow artists. hope i helped!
@Nidda hiya! your picture came out pretty good! if you're stuck on shadows and highlights, draw an arrow on where the light would come in and darken the areas that can't quite reach it. i'd put the arrows around the top of sans' head and his left side, so mostly his right side is dark.

onto your questions:

1. talent is something you earn and gradually grows. some may have a "natural" talent, but that's only because they picked something they knew they'd like and pursued it. i knew i liked art at a young age and i was often praised for my work, so i kept drawing and drawing.

2. definitely start on your favorite things! my interests switched around a lot so that's how i was able to draw a bunch of stuff, but i think my first major interest was big cats so i drew a bunch of them.

3. if you mean by tracing, then absolutely. a lot of beginner artists use tracing to figure out how to draw certain things and eventually draw it in their style. as long as you do not trace over a picture completely and upload it claiming to be your own work, you are A-okay.

4. depends on how you feel and how much time you have. even if it's just a 3 minute headshot, it still counts as a drawing. i can't even tell you how many headshots i have when i was trying to figure out my style and how to draw certain face shapes.

5. there's tons of tutorials online so good luck finding some that helps! i think the only bad thing about it is that some tutorials are just like "here's how to draw this MY way and if MY way doesn't help well go look at something else". i dunno, maybe that's just me. those kinds of tutorials are okay if you like that style but if it doesn't fit with your style, try something else.

6. if you don't know how to draw something, USE! A! REFERENCE! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. never try drawing a character or background "from memory" unless you've drawn it a bunch of times, chances are it won't look like undyne in the forest or city. the only tricky part about references is that, if you draw everything exactly, it'll clash with your style. here's two great videos about drawing from references: x / x

how did i start? hm... i think i was around 5 when i started drawing, then when i was 12 i discovered youtube and dA. that's when i first got my tablet and tried drawing a bunch. (i was really into the zelda fandom so i drew pretty much every incarnation of link.) there were plenty of times where i felt discouraged because there were people my age (and even younger!) that could draw better than me. so i would keep asking myself, "what am i doing wrong? why do i suck?"

i wasn't necessarily doing anything wrong, because there's no right way to draw, but i think my problem was that i didn't know my style. it's honestly one of the hardest parts with art. it took me until junior year in high school to figure it out on paper, but not on digital. none of the lineart settings really spoke to me. but, just last year, i picked up the binary/pixel brush in SAI, and i fell in love. i have never drawn so much digitally, and i actually finished some pictures! i've never done that before! it took me almost 10 years of digital drawing to figure it out, but it was so worth it.

oh, that's another thing: don't expect to get better over night. van gogh and picasso didn't just decide to pick up a brush and become the most influential artists the next day. it took them years to get even close to where they got.

...whew i wrote a lot. sorry, i'm just really passionate about art and i love helping out fellow artists. hope i helped!
1. drawing isnt an innate talent. its a really long journey that u have to take over ur whole life, and at points you may even wanna stop, but all drawing rlly is is recording what you see in shapes. you only really have to train your eye to see colour, light and shadow accurately, and this naturally gets better as u do it

2. you should definitely start with stuff you like, if thatll help you enjoy it! u should draw because its fun, without wanting results from the moment u put pencil to paper. just draw what interests you. but at the same time, try doing life drawings as well- this will help you when u move on to draw the stuff you really want to!

3. im not entirely sure what redrawing is, so ill just talk about tracing, artist copies and redrawing old art. id say redrawing your old stuff is mostly to see how youve improved. artist copies and tracing Can be good tho, if u do it properly! when you trace, you should be thinking abt the shapes as you do it- u kind of have to turn that 2d picture into a 3d one in ur head. artist copies are also nice if u see a specific technique you really like, and that shows u a lot of different ways of creating an image

4. it kinda depends, really- ive heard that 30-60 minutes per day will give you the fastest improvement, but you should just draw Fairly Often? like, you dont have to draw daily, i dont think, as long as youre putting time into it and enjoying it

5. i dont really know why that advice is a thing? i mean, if you watch some and they help you learn to draw a hand, there isnt a massive problem there. however it might teach you to just draw lines rather than portray a 3d object, if u get what i mean. you definitely shouldnt follow tutorials which just show you the lines to draw. you should always imagine what ur drawing as a 3d object with the lines showing the edges, rather than lines that look like something. this helps u out when it comes to shading as well as making the art look more real. and as some people have said before, references are great to use!

ur sans drawing is really good for a beginner! what i suggest doing next is, idk if you sketched this first? but when you do, try sketching them as shapes like cylinders and spheres before you add in the details. maybe also pay attention to things that are in front of/ or over, other things. that was a bad explanation, but for example, what id do for sans is get his body shape in as a cylinder, and then draw a line curling around that shape to show the bottom edge of his coat, and after that i would add the details and finish the coat, if that makes sense. that shows you what is behind what, which can help you if you decide to shade it

and most of all, enjoy what you draw! people who are good at art are good because its something they really enjoy and choose to do for fun. if u like art, youre more willing to draw and paint and thats how youll get practice
1. drawing isnt an innate talent. its a really long journey that u have to take over ur whole life, and at points you may even wanna stop, but all drawing rlly is is recording what you see in shapes. you only really have to train your eye to see colour, light and shadow accurately, and this naturally gets better as u do it

2. you should definitely start with stuff you like, if thatll help you enjoy it! u should draw because its fun, without wanting results from the moment u put pencil to paper. just draw what interests you. but at the same time, try doing life drawings as well- this will help you when u move on to draw the stuff you really want to!

3. im not entirely sure what redrawing is, so ill just talk about tracing, artist copies and redrawing old art. id say redrawing your old stuff is mostly to see how youve improved. artist copies and tracing Can be good tho, if u do it properly! when you trace, you should be thinking abt the shapes as you do it- u kind of have to turn that 2d picture into a 3d one in ur head. artist copies are also nice if u see a specific technique you really like, and that shows u a lot of different ways of creating an image

4. it kinda depends, really- ive heard that 30-60 minutes per day will give you the fastest improvement, but you should just draw Fairly Often? like, you dont have to draw daily, i dont think, as long as youre putting time into it and enjoying it

5. i dont really know why that advice is a thing? i mean, if you watch some and they help you learn to draw a hand, there isnt a massive problem there. however it might teach you to just draw lines rather than portray a 3d object, if u get what i mean. you definitely shouldnt follow tutorials which just show you the lines to draw. you should always imagine what ur drawing as a 3d object with the lines showing the edges, rather than lines that look like something. this helps u out when it comes to shading as well as making the art look more real. and as some people have said before, references are great to use!

ur sans drawing is really good for a beginner! what i suggest doing next is, idk if you sketched this first? but when you do, try sketching them as shapes like cylinders and spheres before you add in the details. maybe also pay attention to things that are in front of/ or over, other things. that was a bad explanation, but for example, what id do for sans is get his body shape in as a cylinder, and then draw a line curling around that shape to show the bottom edge of his coat, and after that i would add the details and finish the coat, if that makes sense. that shows you what is behind what, which can help you if you decide to shade it

and most of all, enjoy what you draw! people who are good at art are good because its something they really enjoy and choose to do for fun. if u like art, youre more willing to draw and paint and thats how youll get practice
@Nidda
sure i say do something simple till you feel comfortable with where your at
@Nidda
sure i say do something simple till you feel comfortable with where your at
I have synesthesia 6kglit91v0.gif
@mermaidcoin
Thank you for tips. Feel free to look what I've drawn for today ^^

@Elligance
@GrumpyCatlover
@ghostparades
Hello guys!
This is what I've drawn for today - Sans the skeleton (well, it suposse to be Sans xD)
Since it's just a pure redraw, there's oryginal image.
Well, I'm not happy with my drawing, but I'm pleased with myself. Thanks to his coat, I understood few things ^^
For tomorrow/day after I'm going to draw Alphys. Say and I'll ping you if you want :)

Day - 2
Time - ~3 hours
@mermaidcoin
Thank you for tips. Feel free to look what I've drawn for today ^^

@Elligance
@GrumpyCatlover
@ghostparades
Hello guys!
This is what I've drawn for today - Sans the skeleton (well, it suposse to be Sans xD)
Since it's just a pure redraw, there's oryginal image.
Well, I'm not happy with my drawing, but I'm pleased with myself. Thanks to his coat, I understood few things ^^
For tomorrow/day after I'm going to draw Alphys. Say and I'll ping you if you want :)

Day - 2
Time - ~3 hours
ShadowFamiliars_zps1fqxjqds.png
@Nidda
thats actually really good i love the way you did his jacket and i'd love to be pinged for the rest of your drawings :D
@Nidda
thats actually really good i love the way you did his jacket and i'd love to be pinged for the rest of your drawings :D
I have synesthesia 6kglit91v0.gif
@Nidda the creases and folds on his jacket! id like to be pinged for alphys, shes my fav character : D
@Nidda the creases and folds on his jacket! id like to be pinged for alphys, shes my fav character : D
i agree! the coat is rlly nice and loose, s got a lotta weight!!
i agree! the coat is rlly nice and loose, s got a lotta weight!!
dang dang diggity dangadang
@mermaidcoin
@GrumpyCatlover
@ghostparades

Hello again!
Art for today - Alphys.
And oryginal image is there.
Yeah, I know it would look better with shades etc... Also, I noticed that right arm is REALLY crappy xd
Next target - Flowey the Flower, firts try with shades, it'll be funny

Day - 3
Time - 1,5h
@mermaidcoin
@GrumpyCatlover
@ghostparades

Hello again!
Art for today - Alphys.
And oryginal image is there.
Yeah, I know it would look better with shades etc... Also, I noticed that right arm is REALLY crappy xd
Next target - Flowey the Flower, firts try with shades, it'll be funny

Day - 3
Time - 1,5h
ShadowFamiliars_zps1fqxjqds.png
Woo! You got a bunch of good responses already it looks like, but I wanted to add my thoughts too :)

1. I don't think I'm really talented. Can I learn without this or it's pointless?
I don't really believe that "talent" is a real thing (there has not been a single scientific study that has been able to proof it exists - and there has been studies!). Learning to draw is about having knowledge and muscle memory. You can learn if you are dedicated!

2. Where should I start? What to practice first? I heard that beginners should start drawing their favourite characters, things etc. Is that true?
I think it depends on what you want to learn to do. I drew animals all my life just for fun, without trying to necessarily "be good" at it. Last year I fell in love with a series and for the first time in my life, I became motivated to learn to draw humans, which is where I'm at now. This sort of motivation has been GREAT for me, without it I wouldn't have learnt everything I have in the last year. So yeah, I think drawing what you love is a very good idea.

BUT having said that, if you want to become a more, you know, well-rounded artist, you are also going to want to learn about the foundations/basics, which is something that a lot of people skip (I certainly need to practise them more). Sometimes you can see an artist who is great at inking and colouring, but the anatomy or pose is wonky and it throws the whole drawing off. Whereas a drawing can still be basically a napkin doodle but be captivating because the artist has a really good grip on anatomy, you feel me?

This is a video my brother made... He decided as an adult that he wanted to learn to draw, with no real previous experience, and he has improved a lot by working hard. He studies the basics waaay more/better than I do lol and he goes over the importance of them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkmmDJD7QAE

3. Will redrawing teach me something?
As in, re-drawing what someone else did? Yes, it can (just don't post those drawings online lol). I spend a lot of time studying my favourite artists and trying to pinpoint exactly what I like in their drawings. Not to copy directly, but to get inspired by and learn from.

FYI tracing is quite a bit more prominent in the art world that one might be led to believe. People who draw really amazing realistic portraits... yeah, often those are traced from photographs. Just to give an example.

4. How much time should I spend daily for drawing?
I think this depends on many factors, especially if you have school/work and such. I will say, that speaking purely from a technical standpoint, it's more about quality than quantity. If your goal is to improve your abilities, you will gain more from doing 30 min of anatomy studies, live drawing, reading about colour theory or whatever, than sitting for hours doodling the same stuff you've been doodling for a month straight, you know?

5. Should I look up for some tutorials? ('how to draw hand' for example) I heard it's not a good thing, don't really know why ^^'

I think tutorials are great! You don't need to re-invent the wheel every time you want to learn to draw something new and quite often, knowing how to draw something (I'm thinking especially stuff like say clothing folds) comes down to knowing certain tricks and techniques.

6. Could you give me tips? Or, maybe, tell me how did you started?

Other tips... surround yourself with artists you like, like go to Tumblr, Instagram or what have you and look at their stuff and get inspired. If any of them do art streams, take the chance to join in, even if just lurking - watching them draw live can be SUCH a good learning experience! Especially since you might be able to ask the artist live, as they are drawing, why they do it like that or what tools they use and so on.

You can also go to YouTube and look at time lapses of good artists working, that can be both inspiring and let you pick up new tips and tricks. I've had a number of "HUH" moments doing that lol.

Practise practise practise. Remember, not every drawing has to be good. Being "good at art" is about having lots of practise. The better someone is, the more they practised - it's not an ability they were born with. Practise that actually helps you improve is not necessarily "fun" - in fact, often it's not. It's hard work, you're learning a new skill! Don't give up!

Push yourself. Work outside your comfort zone, if you want to improve. Do you find hands difficult to draw? Congratulations, you are now forbidden from "hiding" hands in your drawings until they are no longer scary to draw. Try different perspectives. Try new colours, new techniques, different styles. Try everything that looks interesting to you.

Save old drawings, when you look back some months from now you will see your improvement and it's quite a mood booster!

References are awesome and you should use them.

You mentioned where the people replying at at themselves... Hm, well, this was my first ever attempt at drawing Genos from One Punch Man, April 2016.

And here's my most recent attempt at drawing him from a few days ago, so 10 months later. That's him pre-cyborg conversion so he looks different but you can see the improvement in anatomy etc ^^;

---

sidenote but @ghostparades - "nobody comes out of the womb clutching a masterpiece" is the best sentence I heard all week and I'm so going to steal it and use it the next time someone talks about art talent LOL
Woo! You got a bunch of good responses already it looks like, but I wanted to add my thoughts too :)

1. I don't think I'm really talented. Can I learn without this or it's pointless?
I don't really believe that "talent" is a real thing (there has not been a single scientific study that has been able to proof it exists - and there has been studies!). Learning to draw is about having knowledge and muscle memory. You can learn if you are dedicated!

2. Where should I start? What to practice first? I heard that beginners should start drawing their favourite characters, things etc. Is that true?
I think it depends on what you want to learn to do. I drew animals all my life just for fun, without trying to necessarily "be good" at it. Last year I fell in love with a series and for the first time in my life, I became motivated to learn to draw humans, which is where I'm at now. This sort of motivation has been GREAT for me, without it I wouldn't have learnt everything I have in the last year. So yeah, I think drawing what you love is a very good idea.

BUT having said that, if you want to become a more, you know, well-rounded artist, you are also going to want to learn about the foundations/basics, which is something that a lot of people skip (I certainly need to practise them more). Sometimes you can see an artist who is great at inking and colouring, but the anatomy or pose is wonky and it throws the whole drawing off. Whereas a drawing can still be basically a napkin doodle but be captivating because the artist has a really good grip on anatomy, you feel me?

This is a video my brother made... He decided as an adult that he wanted to learn to draw, with no real previous experience, and he has improved a lot by working hard. He studies the basics waaay more/better than I do lol and he goes over the importance of them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkmmDJD7QAE

3. Will redrawing teach me something?
As in, re-drawing what someone else did? Yes, it can (just don't post those drawings online lol). I spend a lot of time studying my favourite artists and trying to pinpoint exactly what I like in their drawings. Not to copy directly, but to get inspired by and learn from.

FYI tracing is quite a bit more prominent in the art world that one might be led to believe. People who draw really amazing realistic portraits... yeah, often those are traced from photographs. Just to give an example.

4. How much time should I spend daily for drawing?
I think this depends on many factors, especially if you have school/work and such. I will say, that speaking purely from a technical standpoint, it's more about quality than quantity. If your goal is to improve your abilities, you will gain more from doing 30 min of anatomy studies, live drawing, reading about colour theory or whatever, than sitting for hours doodling the same stuff you've been doodling for a month straight, you know?

5. Should I look up for some tutorials? ('how to draw hand' for example) I heard it's not a good thing, don't really know why ^^'

I think tutorials are great! You don't need to re-invent the wheel every time you want to learn to draw something new and quite often, knowing how to draw something (I'm thinking especially stuff like say clothing folds) comes down to knowing certain tricks and techniques.

6. Could you give me tips? Or, maybe, tell me how did you started?

Other tips... surround yourself with artists you like, like go to Tumblr, Instagram or what have you and look at their stuff and get inspired. If any of them do art streams, take the chance to join in, even if just lurking - watching them draw live can be SUCH a good learning experience! Especially since you might be able to ask the artist live, as they are drawing, why they do it like that or what tools they use and so on.

You can also go to YouTube and look at time lapses of good artists working, that can be both inspiring and let you pick up new tips and tricks. I've had a number of "HUH" moments doing that lol.

Practise practise practise. Remember, not every drawing has to be good. Being "good at art" is about having lots of practise. The better someone is, the more they practised - it's not an ability they were born with. Practise that actually helps you improve is not necessarily "fun" - in fact, often it's not. It's hard work, you're learning a new skill! Don't give up!

Push yourself. Work outside your comfort zone, if you want to improve. Do you find hands difficult to draw? Congratulations, you are now forbidden from "hiding" hands in your drawings until they are no longer scary to draw. Try different perspectives. Try new colours, new techniques, different styles. Try everything that looks interesting to you.

Save old drawings, when you look back some months from now you will see your improvement and it's quite a mood booster!

References are awesome and you should use them.

You mentioned where the people replying at at themselves... Hm, well, this was my first ever attempt at drawing Genos from One Punch Man, April 2016.

And here's my most recent attempt at drawing him from a few days ago, so 10 months later. That's him pre-cyborg conversion so he looks different but you can see the improvement in anatomy etc ^^;

---

sidenote but @ghostparades - "nobody comes out of the womb clutching a masterpiece" is the best sentence I heard all week and I'm so going to steal it and use it the next time someone talks about art talent LOL
ZNhRsiG.png
1 2 3 4