Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | [T] Coliseum: slows after magic attacks
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27 28
The Coli and Fair games only seem to want to run at good speeds on computers much faster/newer than mine; I'm running it on a Win XP Pro (updated) desktop at 2GHz with 2 GB memory, using Opera to do it since Chrome lags all the games even more frustratingly for me. (Curiously, Chrome loads all the gene and breed change previews correctly, while Opera doesn't want to.)

The Coli in particular bothers me. On both my desktop and the iPad I'd borrowed for a while, the whole thing runs at what feels like about a third the speed it does on my brother's rather higher-end-than-my-desktop laptop. Besides being generally slow, it seems to randomly slow down further for me for a while, often just after the enemy casts a magic attack, or someone scores a critical hit (at which point not only does the framerate drop as I'd expect it to to try to keep things running, but the whole thing slows down overall.) Rally takes roughly ten seconds to cast, from selecting its target, to being able to select the next dragon's commands. It makes grinding for food incredibly tedious.

More frustrating than simply being slow, though, is that sometimes it hangs between me telling a dragon what to do (such as, Ability -> Scratch -> select target) and it doing it. The buttons on the bottom right disappear, including Cancel, but instead of the attack's graphics or the dragon moving anywhere, nothing happens, sometimes for a few seconds, and sometimes for so long that I gave up (on the iPad; it hasn't stalled indefinitely on my desktop... yet....) and just reloaded the page. The Coli itself hasnn't entirely stopped during this, though, as I can see the environmental animations still happening... it's just that the logic that governs the game's actual "what do I do next?" decision-making seems to've stalled on something, and is left sitting there dumbly.

I'd be much happier if there were an alternate, no-frills version of the Coli, preferably text-based "action" and entirely still images rather than animated; perhaps then my even-more-outdated lappy could load it in the first place. It isn't that I don't appreciate the work that's gone into it so far (I do; I think it's really cool!) ...it's that I simply don't have a new computer, and won't for a good while yet because priorities, and I can't keep borrowing other people's computers to play it on. :(
The Coli and Fair games only seem to want to run at good speeds on computers much faster/newer than mine; I'm running it on a Win XP Pro (updated) desktop at 2GHz with 2 GB memory, using Opera to do it since Chrome lags all the games even more frustratingly for me. (Curiously, Chrome loads all the gene and breed change previews correctly, while Opera doesn't want to.)

The Coli in particular bothers me. On both my desktop and the iPad I'd borrowed for a while, the whole thing runs at what feels like about a third the speed it does on my brother's rather higher-end-than-my-desktop laptop. Besides being generally slow, it seems to randomly slow down further for me for a while, often just after the enemy casts a magic attack, or someone scores a critical hit (at which point not only does the framerate drop as I'd expect it to to try to keep things running, but the whole thing slows down overall.) Rally takes roughly ten seconds to cast, from selecting its target, to being able to select the next dragon's commands. It makes grinding for food incredibly tedious.

More frustrating than simply being slow, though, is that sometimes it hangs between me telling a dragon what to do (such as, Ability -> Scratch -> select target) and it doing it. The buttons on the bottom right disappear, including Cancel, but instead of the attack's graphics or the dragon moving anywhere, nothing happens, sometimes for a few seconds, and sometimes for so long that I gave up (on the iPad; it hasn't stalled indefinitely on my desktop... yet....) and just reloaded the page. The Coli itself hasnn't entirely stopped during this, though, as I can see the environmental animations still happening... it's just that the logic that governs the game's actual "what do I do next?" decision-making seems to've stalled on something, and is left sitting there dumbly.

I'd be much happier if there were an alternate, no-frills version of the Coli, preferably text-based "action" and entirely still images rather than animated; perhaps then my even-more-outdated lappy could load it in the first place. It isn't that I don't appreciate the work that's gone into it so far (I do; I think it's really cool!) ...it's that I simply don't have a new computer, and won't for a good while yet because priorities, and I can't keep borrowing other people's computers to play it on. :(
Apparently this starting to happen to me just today, yesterday was fine...

I tried to close all tabs and all other active windows, and refreshed the coliseum, it still lags after my dragons or enemies uses Contuse and 'Bolt' type of magic attacks.

I used Chrome.
Apparently this starting to happen to me just today, yesterday was fine...

I tried to close all tabs and all other active windows, and refreshed the coliseum, it still lags after my dragons or enemies uses Contuse and 'Bolt' type of magic attacks.

I used Chrome.
Just wanted to note some things that I have noticed. First, I am running Chromium 28.0.1500.71-0ubuntu1.12.04.1 on a laptop with 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 and 6gb of ram. I have tried keeping my system monitor open on the open processes to see if memory usage changed after the slow down, but I haven't seen anything. I will try in firefox soon and see if there is any difference. If anyone knows of a developer diagnostic for html5 games where we can "see" what is going on behind the scenes like memory usages, frame rate, etc please let me know as I would be interested in it to help pinpoint the cause. Some magic attacks seem to affect the slowness (or fps if that is what it is) and some don't at least not immediately. I do not have any bolt attacks on my dragons for this reason. Contuse - Immediate slow down Lightning Bolt, Arcane Bolt - First one is fine, but after a second one the slow down is present until I refresh. I haven't seen anything that I can put my finger on that other magic attacks like enfeeble, enamor, or the other magic attacks for lightning and nature cause any slow down. At least not enough that I can tell the difference. I like to grind in the coliseum, especially leveling lower level dragons in the Mire. I have put up with this so far, but it is getting annoying when I only have 1-2 hours a day to play after work. Even refreshing is no guarantee as most of the time some enemy uses a bolt attack that first battle and it slows again. I also agree with Nightsail. Having an option for a no-frills coliseum would be nice. Like having still images, an attack shows the name of the attack used above the enemy and then how much they got hit for. The energy and breath bars moving would still be okay. Even if the coliseum was working perfectly, it would be a nice option for those that can't afford to get the latest technology and have slower computers. (And for those that want to play on tablets or smartphones as it is almost possible to play on a smartphone right now.) Edit: I used the developer tools in Chrome to check on a few things in the Coliseum. The memory usage doesn't change, so memory is good. I did however take some screenshots of the frame rate in a couple of instances. I have cropped these down so they won't be as huge. If you want the full screenshots, let me know and I'll post those with links so you can see them. You can see however I marked where the magic in question was used and the change from 60fps to down to almost 30fps. When no bolt magic was used... [img]http://www.petsgalorespa.net/frameratenoboltmagic.jpg[/img] When shock bolt was used and on the 3rd attack... [img]http://www.petsgalorespa.net/framerateaftershockbolt3x.jpg[/img] When contuse was used... [img]http://www.petsgalorespa.net/framerateaftercontuse.jpg[/img]
Just wanted to note some things that I have noticed. First, I am running Chromium 28.0.1500.71-0ubuntu1.12.04.1 on a laptop with 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 and 6gb of ram. I have tried keeping my system monitor open on the open processes to see if memory usage changed after the slow down, but I haven't seen anything. I will try in firefox soon and see if there is any difference. If anyone knows of a developer diagnostic for html5 games where we can "see" what is going on behind the scenes like memory usages, frame rate, etc please let me know as I would be interested in it to help pinpoint the cause.

Some magic attacks seem to affect the slowness (or fps if that is what it is) and some don't at least not immediately. I do not have any bolt attacks on my dragons for this reason.

Contuse - Immediate slow down
Lightning Bolt, Arcane Bolt - First one is fine, but after a second one the slow down is present until I refresh.

I haven't seen anything that I can put my finger on that other magic attacks like enfeeble, enamor, or the other magic attacks for lightning and nature cause any slow down. At least not enough that I can tell the difference.

I like to grind in the coliseum, especially leveling lower level dragons in the Mire. I have put up with this so far, but it is getting annoying when I only have 1-2 hours a day to play after work. Even refreshing is no guarantee as most of the time some enemy uses a bolt attack that first battle and it slows again.

I also agree with Nightsail. Having an option for a no-frills coliseum would be nice. Like having still images, an attack shows the name of the attack used above the enemy and then how much they got hit for. The energy and breath bars moving would still be okay. Even if the coliseum was working perfectly, it would be a nice option for those that can't afford to get the latest technology and have slower computers. (And for those that want to play on tablets or smartphones as it is almost possible to play on a smartphone right now.)

Edit: I used the developer tools in Chrome to check on a few things in the Coliseum. The memory usage doesn't change, so memory is good. I did however take some screenshots of the frame rate in a couple of instances. I have cropped these down so they won't be as huge. If you want the full screenshots, let me know and I'll post those with links so you can see them. You can see however I marked where the magic in question was used and the change from 60fps to down to almost 30fps.

When no bolt magic was used...
frameratenoboltmagic.jpg

When shock bolt was used and on the 3rd attack...
framerateaftershockbolt3x.jpg

When contuse was used...
framerateaftercontuse.jpg
light-item-shop-button.png
^ The opposite happens for me.

SOMETIMES, Contuse will be fine. However, if a Bolt spell is used? The Coliseum literally becomes unusable. I would have to sit here for like 5 minutes to let one attack go off.

Has anyone figured out a way to fix this yet? ._. Missing out on a chance at event skins because of this bug really irks me. xD
^ The opposite happens for me.

SOMETIMES, Contuse will be fine. However, if a Bolt spell is used? The Coliseum literally becomes unusable. I would have to sit here for like 5 minutes to let one attack go off.

Has anyone figured out a way to fix this yet? ._. Missing out on a chance at event skins because of this bug really irks me. xD
Just wanted to note that it has gotten worse again. Now if contuse or a bolt attack is used, it immediately slows down. Sometimes it freezes altogether and only a refresh will fix it. The freezing isn't as predictable though.
Just wanted to note that it has gotten worse again. Now if contuse or a bolt attack is used, it immediately slows down. Sometimes it freezes altogether and only a refresh will fix it. The freezing isn't as predictable though.
light-item-shop-button.png
Windows XP with Chrome and Opera.

Detailed Observations:

It appears that in all my battles, the spell Contuse is the main offender. When only melee skills are used, I can go through several battles without lag until an enemy uses Contuse against me. If I use Contuse, or another enemy uses Contuse, my frame rate visibly drops and my graphics are much slower, resulting in very slow animations and a prolonged battle. Animations do not speed up again until the browser is refreshed.
Both Chrome and Opera had roughly the same performance, though sometimes in Opera the lag did not start until the second time Contuse was used. This problem does not happen on my caster when I use a heal spell, it only happens with Contuse. Same with an enemy, I did not notice lag with other spells that were cast by enemy casters, only when they use Contuse. This does not mean other spells and skills might not slow down other users, but the consistency does show that Contuse should be looked at first to troubleshoot the lag problem.

Edit - A water element enemy threw a projectile water spell at me and that immediately caused lag.
Windows XP with Chrome and Opera.

Detailed Observations:

It appears that in all my battles, the spell Contuse is the main offender. When only melee skills are used, I can go through several battles without lag until an enemy uses Contuse against me. If I use Contuse, or another enemy uses Contuse, my frame rate visibly drops and my graphics are much slower, resulting in very slow animations and a prolonged battle. Animations do not speed up again until the browser is refreshed.
Both Chrome and Opera had roughly the same performance, though sometimes in Opera the lag did not start until the second time Contuse was used. This problem does not happen on my caster when I use a heal spell, it only happens with Contuse. Same with an enemy, I did not notice lag with other spells that were cast by enemy casters, only when they use Contuse. This does not mean other spells and skills might not slow down other users, but the consistency does show that Contuse should be looked at first to troubleshoot the lag problem.

Edit - A water element enemy threw a projectile water spell at me and that immediately caused lag.
I am also on T5CmrJd.png
I thought that because my laptop was older it was just me, but apparently other people ave been having the same problem so I'll just mention that this has been happening to me for several weeks now. I use Firefox!

The biggest spell offenders for me have been contuse/bolts of all kinds, but especially the Light bolt. Others (such as Arcane, Lightning, etc) will usually go one or two before causing lag, but the Light one almost always brings the lag down on my head immediately.

It's kind of maddening, I won't lie.
I thought that because my laptop was older it was just me, but apparently other people ave been having the same problem so I'll just mention that this has been happening to me for several weeks now. I use Firefox!

The biggest spell offenders for me have been contuse/bolts of all kinds, but especially the Light bolt. Others (such as Arcane, Lightning, etc) will usually go one or two before causing lag, but the Light one almost always brings the lag down on my head immediately.

It's kind of maddening, I won't lie.
B3bYI9z.png
This is making the coliseum kind of unplayable for me. Which is unfortunate, as I make most of my money by exalting leveled dragons.

Google Chrome + Windows 7.
This is making the coliseum kind of unplayable for me. Which is unfortunate, as I make most of my money by exalting leveled dragons.

Google Chrome + Windows 7.
Palefoot Tadhop Desert Rain Frog Companion Ruffletail Tadhop
I'd like to point out that this is happening to me, too, on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes it takes the second or third magic attack to trigger it, whether by my dragons or an enemy, but it's always a magic attack - most of the time, Contuse.

Firefox 25.0.1 + Windows XP Home with AMD Athlon X3 64 Dual-Core and 4 GB RAM. It also does it on my netbook, too, which I don't have the specs for off-hand outside of it having 1.5 GB RAM, Firefox, and Windows XP Professional.
I'd like to point out that this is happening to me, too, on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes it takes the second or third magic attack to trigger it, whether by my dragons or an enemy, but it's always a magic attack - most of the time, Contuse.

Firefox 25.0.1 + Windows XP Home with AMD Athlon X3 64 Dual-Core and 4 GB RAM. It also does it on my netbook, too, which I don't have the specs for off-hand outside of it having 1.5 GB RAM, Firefox, and Windows XP Professional.
I am having the same problem both on Chrome and on Firefox. I have windows 8
I am having the same problem both on Chrome and on Firefox. I have windows 8
FRshadowbanner_zpsb5c855e6.png
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27 28