Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Do you believe in soulmates?
1 2 3 4
I've always been super curious about this topic.
Quote:
A person with whom you have an immediate connection the moment you meet -- a connection so strong that you are drawn to them in a way you have never experienced before. As this connection develops over time, you experience a love so deep, strong and complex, that you begin to doubt that you have ever truly loved anyone prior. Your soulmate understands and connects with you in every way and on every level, which brings a sense of peace, calmness and happiness when you are around them. And when you are not around them, you are all that much more aware of the harshness of life, and how bonding with another person in this way is the most significant and satisfying thing you will experience in your lifetime. You are also all that much aware of the beauty in life, because you have been given a great gift and will always be thankful.

Finding my soulmate is the best thing that has ever happened to me; I have never felt this kind of love and understanding. We connect in so many ways, it astounds me.

Personally I like this definition of soulmate more then the standard "Love at first sight!" one. While closely the same, it's also very different, showing that it takes time for you to feel this connection, that as much as you may feel a connection with the person, it's not always a positive start.

Anyways, so do you believe in soulmates? If you do (or if you don't) do you think you can have more then one?
I've always been super curious about this topic.
Quote:
A person with whom you have an immediate connection the moment you meet -- a connection so strong that you are drawn to them in a way you have never experienced before. As this connection develops over time, you experience a love so deep, strong and complex, that you begin to doubt that you have ever truly loved anyone prior. Your soulmate understands and connects with you in every way and on every level, which brings a sense of peace, calmness and happiness when you are around them. And when you are not around them, you are all that much more aware of the harshness of life, and how bonding with another person in this way is the most significant and satisfying thing you will experience in your lifetime. You are also all that much aware of the beauty in life, because you have been given a great gift and will always be thankful.

Finding my soulmate is the best thing that has ever happened to me; I have never felt this kind of love and understanding. We connect in so many ways, it astounds me.

Personally I like this definition of soulmate more then the standard "Love at first sight!" one. While closely the same, it's also very different, showing that it takes time for you to feel this connection, that as much as you may feel a connection with the person, it's not always a positive start.

Anyways, so do you believe in soulmates? If you do (or if you don't) do you think you can have more then one?
yGResdm.gif
I'm not sure what I believe, honestly. Something I've noticed is a lot of people are quick to say that they do believe in the existence of soulmates, but seemingly in a feel-good way (as in a hopeful sense, or conveniently applying the term to their current significant other) instead of it being an ideological belief. What I mean by that is people often say they believe in soulmates, but add ideas like someone can become their soulmate, one can choose their soulmate, etc., which don't seem ideologically sound to me. The definition of soulmate as I understand it means that the eventual union is preordained by some spiritual force, which means the choice thing is unfortunately out the window in regards to who one's soulmate is. Can someone reject their soulmate and choose to be someone else's mate, or not take a mate at all, though? Maybe.

The problem is that the belief in soulmates is a rigid and inflexible belief, and efforts to make it less rigid (like allowing for the choice of soulmate) unravels and dilutes its overall meaning to a point where it has no meaning. If soulmates are transient, then there are no soulmates. If anyone can be someone's soulmate, the concept of a soulmate is immediately invalidated.

In other words I suppose I think that a lot of people who think they believe in the concept actually don't.

Anyway, I've thought about the subject, and I'm honestly not sure what I believe. Although a part of me wants to, I cannot say that I do at this time.
I'm not sure what I believe, honestly. Something I've noticed is a lot of people are quick to say that they do believe in the existence of soulmates, but seemingly in a feel-good way (as in a hopeful sense, or conveniently applying the term to their current significant other) instead of it being an ideological belief. What I mean by that is people often say they believe in soulmates, but add ideas like someone can become their soulmate, one can choose their soulmate, etc., which don't seem ideologically sound to me. The definition of soulmate as I understand it means that the eventual union is preordained by some spiritual force, which means the choice thing is unfortunately out the window in regards to who one's soulmate is. Can someone reject their soulmate and choose to be someone else's mate, or not take a mate at all, though? Maybe.

The problem is that the belief in soulmates is a rigid and inflexible belief, and efforts to make it less rigid (like allowing for the choice of soulmate) unravels and dilutes its overall meaning to a point where it has no meaning. If soulmates are transient, then there are no soulmates. If anyone can be someone's soulmate, the concept of a soulmate is immediately invalidated.

In other words I suppose I think that a lot of people who think they believe in the concept actually don't.

Anyway, I've thought about the subject, and I'm honestly not sure what I believe. Although a part of me wants to, I cannot say that I do at this time.
V8GfXRi.jpg
Do friendships count? I met another girl last year and we just matched up so well, we were super-close friends right away. unfortunately she had to move to freaking SPAIN three months ago which is literally on the other end of the globe from me, but we still talk loads over social media.
Do friendships count? I met another girl last year and we just matched up so well, we were super-close friends right away. unfortunately she had to move to freaking SPAIN three months ago which is literally on the other end of the globe from me, but we still talk loads over social media.
olly / 15
@Wolfalisk I'm kinda the same, I'm not sure on the concept of a soulmate but I do believe that there is deeper connections with some people then others. I think people throw around the word love to easy and that the "idealistic views" on topics like soulmates in movies/media kinda ruined the actual concept of the word. [i]They can't be my soulmate! We are nothing alike, they are ugly ect.[/i] It's not up to you to decide, you should just feel a connection between yourselves. There's a quote in french about soulmates/love I like to use. [quote]“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”[/quote] [quote]“Grown-ups love figures... When you tell them you've made a new friend they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you "What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies? " Instead they demand "How old is he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make? " Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him.” [/quote]
@Wolfalisk

I'm kinda the same, I'm not sure on the concept of a soulmate but I do believe that there is deeper connections with some people then others. I think people throw around the word love to easy and that the "idealistic views" on topics like soulmates in movies/media kinda ruined the actual concept of the word. They can't be my soulmate! We are nothing alike, they are ugly ect. It's not up to you to decide, you should just feel a connection between yourselves.

There's a quote in french about soulmates/love I like to use.
Quote:
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
Quote:
“Grown-ups love figures... When you tell them you've made a new friend they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you "What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies? " Instead they demand "How old is he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make? " Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him.”

yGResdm.gif
@thesmallestshark

If you'd asked me when I was younger I'd have said no.

No, connections take time. Yes, people can 'hit it off' right away, but the idea that you can recognize forever in someone you just met...no. That is a romantic fiction - a sweet, well-meaning one - but a fiction none the less.

Then I met someone. We went on one date. Three days later I moved in with them. Two weeks later we were engaged (me, the person who would run screaming from the idea of anyone proposing to me). Nine months later was the wedding.

That was 10 years ago, and we're together, happy, and in love. But I knew we would be, from that very first date. I can't explain it; I just knew. I knew this was the person for me. It wasn't logical, it didn't make 'sense'; they were a stranger and I barely knew anything about them. But I knew that. I couldn't tell you why I knew, but I did.

The only people who weren't stunned and/or skeptical of all this were my best friend and my grandmother.

The two people in the world who probably know me best. (Apparently they knew me better than I did, because the whole thing shocked the hell out of me.)

Make of that what you will.
@thesmallestshark

If you'd asked me when I was younger I'd have said no.

No, connections take time. Yes, people can 'hit it off' right away, but the idea that you can recognize forever in someone you just met...no. That is a romantic fiction - a sweet, well-meaning one - but a fiction none the less.

Then I met someone. We went on one date. Three days later I moved in with them. Two weeks later we were engaged (me, the person who would run screaming from the idea of anyone proposing to me). Nine months later was the wedding.

That was 10 years ago, and we're together, happy, and in love. But I knew we would be, from that very first date. I can't explain it; I just knew. I knew this was the person for me. It wasn't logical, it didn't make 'sense'; they were a stranger and I barely knew anything about them. But I knew that. I couldn't tell you why I knew, but I did.

The only people who weren't stunned and/or skeptical of all this were my best friend and my grandmother.

The two people in the world who probably know me best. (Apparently they knew me better than I did, because the whole thing shocked the hell out of me.)

Make of that what you will.
@Devilbaby

I can believe that, but this is why I'm at a loss. The person I thought was my soulmate took his life and I've felt no attraction to be with anyone hardly since. Attraction as in they are beautiful and I would want to be with them physically, yes but the whole I can see you as an us, as a pair, no.

The only time I did was when I was in training but it was only after I left that I thought, wow, I had strong feelings for this person. I had a dream of the two of us as a family, something I never thought I would feel again. It makes me cry even now because I know I'll never see them again.

I dunno, I think strong connections are a thing but when it comes to that feeling, I'm just scared to think there's only one you'll ever be that way with.
@Devilbaby

I can believe that, but this is why I'm at a loss. The person I thought was my soulmate took his life and I've felt no attraction to be with anyone hardly since. Attraction as in they are beautiful and I would want to be with them physically, yes but the whole I can see you as an us, as a pair, no.

The only time I did was when I was in training but it was only after I left that I thought, wow, I had strong feelings for this person. I had a dream of the two of us as a family, something I never thought I would feel again. It makes me cry even now because I know I'll never see them again.

I dunno, I think strong connections are a thing but when it comes to that feeling, I'm just scared to think there's only one you'll ever be that way with.
yGResdm.gif
I believe.
I also believe that you can be soulmates not just with a person you want to marry, but friends as well and that you can have many soulmates because we aren't bound to share our lives with only one being, we are meant to share our lives with all those we cherish and who cherish us.

I define a soulmate as all of the things mentioned but also as two or more souls that just are made for each other.
Some soulmates are like one soul that became two different beings and so are one with each other, other soulmates are different but their souls fit together like puzzle pieces and complete each other.
I believe.
I also believe that you can be soulmates not just with a person you want to marry, but friends as well and that you can have many soulmates because we aren't bound to share our lives with only one being, we are meant to share our lives with all those we cherish and who cherish us.

I define a soulmate as all of the things mentioned but also as two or more souls that just are made for each other.
Some soulmates are like one soul that became two different beings and so are one with each other, other soulmates are different but their souls fit together like puzzle pieces and complete each other.
Soulmate as in someone you have an awesome, deep relationship with? Yeah sure.
Soulmate as in some mystical thing where there's one person for you in the whole world ever? Not so much. That's a really depressing idea to us :c
Soulmate as in someone you have an awesome, deep relationship with? Yeah sure.
Soulmate as in some mystical thing where there's one person for you in the whole world ever? Not so much. That's a really depressing idea to us :c
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
@Devilbaby

Aw, I love this :) This story really touched me, as it reminds me of my BF and I! He literally never left my apartment after our first date... Just moved right in haha. As you said, he was a stranger, and I felt totally crazy about the whole situation, but I just... clicked with him in so many ways that I'd never imagined possible. He was just instantly my best friend, despite me being the sort of person who is very quiet and takes a while to warm up to people. We are both extremely introverted people, and it was a very new and unusual feeling for both of us.

The skeptical side of me was scared it was just some sort of strange infatuation that would fade away with time, but it has been a year and my feeling of love and certainty has only grown stronger. I have no doubt I will spend the rest of my life with him. I've had previous relationships and none of them even come close... it's just a completely different feeling I could've never imagined, it's hard to put into words.

Before meeting him I liked the idea of soulmates but couldn't bring myself to believe in it seriously. Now, I'm confident! I honestly have no idea what I'd do without him, he's wonderful.
@Devilbaby

Aw, I love this :) This story really touched me, as it reminds me of my BF and I! He literally never left my apartment after our first date... Just moved right in haha. As you said, he was a stranger, and I felt totally crazy about the whole situation, but I just... clicked with him in so many ways that I'd never imagined possible. He was just instantly my best friend, despite me being the sort of person who is very quiet and takes a while to warm up to people. We are both extremely introverted people, and it was a very new and unusual feeling for both of us.

The skeptical side of me was scared it was just some sort of strange infatuation that would fade away with time, but it has been a year and my feeling of love and certainty has only grown stronger. I have no doubt I will spend the rest of my life with him. I've had previous relationships and none of them even come close... it's just a completely different feeling I could've never imagined, it's hard to put into words.

Before meeting him I liked the idea of soulmates but couldn't bring myself to believe in it seriously. Now, I'm confident! I honestly have no idea what I'd do without him, he's wonderful.
i mean, on a spiritual level, yeah, because i believe in the multiverse, reincarnation, fate and time, and all that jazz, but i believe that no matter if you're soulmates or not, you should still get to know them before you do anything racy
i mean, on a spiritual level, yeah, because i believe in the multiverse, reincarnation, fate and time, and all that jazz, but i believe that no matter if you're soulmates or not, you should still get to know them before you do anything racy
tumblr_inline_nbaduayNyo1qg78ij.png my name's flynn, he/him or they/them.

B6ve782.gif
1 2 3 4