Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Don't pin Welcome Week news post
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I know it's also in the status updates, but I don't expect entirely new limited 4-days-only content to be relegated to a tiny text square. I also don't expect to have to scroll down to see the newest news post on the front page.

The limited items? They're going to be gone before the Welcome Week is over. By the time that news post is at the top of the front page where everyone can see it and it's super obvious, the items will be unavailable. The first time some people see that update--because let's be honest, lots of people only skim the status updates box--it's going to be when they can't get the items anymore.

I would not have found out about the items on my own because I skim the status updates and I don't expect new news articles to go under old ones. I only found out because I am very active in FR fandom off-site. Had I not been, I might've missed this stuff entirely before it was gone.

Obviously staff wants to bring attention to it--there's an entire news post, after all. But by pinning the Welcome Week post at the top, it effectively hides the new announcement.

In general I think the mini event should be extended--four days is such a tiny amount of time and not everyone can make 250kt that quickly, especially during weekdays--and that would help solve some of this problem by keeping the items available after the Welcome Week is over. But I am wondering: How many other updates could I and others miss in the future because the WW post is pinned? How many of those will be super limited like this?

I understand the importance of making the WW post visible, but the new update is tiny and few people would have to scroll down to see the WW post, not to mention the logo update to indicate the WW.
I know it's also in the status updates, but I don't expect entirely new limited 4-days-only content to be relegated to a tiny text square. I also don't expect to have to scroll down to see the newest news post on the front page.

The limited items? They're going to be gone before the Welcome Week is over. By the time that news post is at the top of the front page where everyone can see it and it's super obvious, the items will be unavailable. The first time some people see that update--because let's be honest, lots of people only skim the status updates box--it's going to be when they can't get the items anymore.

I would not have found out about the items on my own because I skim the status updates and I don't expect new news articles to go under old ones. I only found out because I am very active in FR fandom off-site. Had I not been, I might've missed this stuff entirely before it was gone.

Obviously staff wants to bring attention to it--there's an entire news post, after all. But by pinning the Welcome Week post at the top, it effectively hides the new announcement.

In general I think the mini event should be extended--four days is such a tiny amount of time and not everyone can make 250kt that quickly, especially during weekdays--and that would help solve some of this problem by keeping the items available after the Welcome Week is over. But I am wondering: How many other updates could I and others miss in the future because the WW post is pinned? How many of those will be super limited like this?

I understand the importance of making the WW post visible, but the new update is tiny and few people would have to scroll down to see the WW post, not to mention the logo update to indicate the WW.
Yeah, Welcome Week should be unpinned after 24 hours.
Yeah, Welcome Week should be unpinned after 24 hours.
I gotta agree. I didn't even see the other announcement until I saw Vely's suggestion.
I gotta agree. I didn't even see the other announcement until I saw Vely's suggestion.
I also agree. I only saw there was new stuff because i've seen someone with the new vista on a gen1 sales thread and i was ??? didn't see anything on the first page when i woke up but hey, it was hidden in the tiny box. In my case i would've seen it eventually and wouldn't miss the event but i know some people probably could miss it.
I also agree. I only saw there was new stuff because i've seen someone with the new vista on a gen1 sales thread and i was ??? didn't see anything on the first page when i woke up but hey, it was hidden in the tiny box. In my case i would've seen it eventually and wouldn't miss the event but i know some people probably could miss it.
Drakengard.gif
[quote name="Reckless" date=2017-02-13 11:16:23] I also agree. I only saw there was new stuff because i've seen someone with the new vista on a gen1 sales thread and i was ??? didn't see anything on the first page when i woke up but hey, it was hidden in the tiny box. In my case i would've seen it eventually and wouldn't miss the event but i know some people probably could miss it. [/quote] I want to add that the only reason why I knew there was new stuff is because[b] I literally gathered the new bugs. [/b] I went to check the front page because I didn't gather any of these ever, and I see the new seasonal stuff. :) The idea of putting regular updates on Sundays is cool, the execution is still lacking.
Reckless wrote on 2017-02-13:

I want to add that the only reason why I knew there was new stuff is because I literally gathered the new bugs.

I went to check the front page because I didn't gather any of these ever, and I see the new seasonal stuff. :)

The idea of putting regular updates on Sundays is cool, the execution is still lacking.
Support for not pinning the news post. I didn't know about it until today all because I read a post that said "why is Carpenter Wax skyrocketing in price?" and the reply was "for the new Swipp Swap" and i was very confused. So I looked and found it.

Nobody really scrolls down on the front page except maybe to figure out the exalt bonuses.

Aso support for extending the event. Not only because it's clear that many players didn't even know about it because the Welcome Week post was in the way, but also because five days is not enough time.
Support for not pinning the news post. I didn't know about it until today all because I read a post that said "why is Carpenter Wax skyrocketing in price?" and the reply was "for the new Swipp Swap" and i was very confused. So I looked and found it.

Nobody really scrolls down on the front page except maybe to figure out the exalt bonuses.

Aso support for extending the event. Not only because it's clear that many players didn't even know about it because the Welcome Week post was in the way, but also because five days is not enough time.
w2GVor2.jpg
The welcome week post isn't really for members though. It's a good way let people who pop in every now and again, just to check what's up, know that thier chance to join is open. Though the banner does change too, I notice the post before that, and the post also has additional info.

I mean, the new update post was right below the welcome week announcement. I didn't even have to scroll to see it, and I usually scroll anyway, just to make sure I've seen all the recent announcements. And it's the exact same size as all the other update posts.

And I'm having a hard time believing that most people only look at the status updates, when there is a whole flashy front page to look at too. Or maybe it's because I only glance at the status updates, every now and then, as an afterthought.
The welcome week post isn't really for members though. It's a good way let people who pop in every now and again, just to check what's up, know that thier chance to join is open. Though the banner does change too, I notice the post before that, and the post also has additional info.

I mean, the new update post was right below the welcome week announcement. I didn't even have to scroll to see it, and I usually scroll anyway, just to make sure I've seen all the recent announcements. And it's the exact same size as all the other update posts.

And I'm having a hard time believing that most people only look at the status updates, when there is a whole flashy front page to look at too. Or maybe it's because I only glance at the status updates, every now and then, as an afterthought.
2qkpb88.jpg
@zakiaya

The Welcome Week update was at the top Sunday morning, and it was at the top this morning.

I didn't really have a reason to look BELOW the Welcome Week update this morning because we're used to "Newest post is at the top"

I did have to scroll to see the other newspost, so I assumed it was still the Volcanic Vents post, like 90% of the site's populace. I noticed new content because I got Glass Cicadas via gathering, and since I'm always bug catching, I would have noticed a bunch of low-rarity new bugs popping after the spiders.

@zakiaya

The Welcome Week update was at the top Sunday morning, and it was at the top this morning.

I didn't really have a reason to look BELOW the Welcome Week update this morning because we're used to "Newest post is at the top"

I did have to scroll to see the other newspost, so I assumed it was still the Volcanic Vents post, like 90% of the site's populace. I noticed new content because I got Glass Cicadas via gathering, and since I'm always bug catching, I would have noticed a bunch of low-rarity new bugs popping after the spiders.

[quote name="Zakiaya" date=2017-02-13 11:45:52] The welcome week post isn't really for members though. It's a good way let people who pop in every now and again, just to check what's up, know that thier chance to join is open. Though the banner does change too, I notice the post before that, and the post also has additional info. I mean, the new update post was right below the welcome week announcement. I didn't even have to scroll to see it, and I usually scroll anyway, just to make sure I've seen all the recent announcements. And it's the exact same size as all the other update posts. And I'm having a hard time believing that most people only look at the status updates, when there is a whole flashy front page to look at too. Or maybe it's because I only glance at the status updates, every now and then, as an afterthought. [/quote] There are a great many people who don't even go to the front page. When they do, it is usually as a starting point to other pages, so they just glance at the newest posts and then go on. I forget how I found out about the new items, but it took me several times going on to the front page to see them (I may have seen them in the status update box) Also, not everyone has the same screen size, The welcome week post takes up the entire page on my browser, so I have to scroll down to see the news. Since I assume that the newest news is first, unless I am looking for something specific down below (such as looking at the random dragon) I don't scroll down. Also, while I do agree having the announcement, I honestly am not sure how many people they get to check the front page of FR and then sign up. I would think most of them come in from other sites, where they have posted the announcement and thus don't really need the front page one. (not saying that it doesn't need to be there)
Zakiaya wrote on 2017-02-13:

There are a great many people who don't even go to the front page. When they do, it is usually as a starting point to other pages, so they just glance at the newest posts and then go on. I forget how I found out about the new items, but it took me several times going on to the front page to see them (I may have seen them in the status update box)

Also, not everyone has the same screen size, The welcome week post takes up the entire page on my browser, so I have to scroll down to see the news. Since I assume that the newest news is first, unless I am looking for something specific down below (such as looking at the random dragon) I don't scroll down.

Also, while I do agree having the announcement, I honestly am not sure how many people they get to check the front page of FR and then sign up. I would think most of them come in from other sites, where they have posted the announcement and thus don't really need the front page one. (not saying that it doesn't need to be there)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
One thing that might go a long way to helping is to actually put a icon to denote that the News post is PINNED. I dont' see one, so I don't look below it. However, if people KNEW that it were pinned they would be more likely to give a quick scroll down.
One thing that might go a long way to helping is to actually put a icon to denote that the News post is PINNED. I dont' see one, so I don't look below it. However, if people KNEW that it were pinned they would be more likely to give a quick scroll down.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7