Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [ How to Make a Hatchery Thread ]
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 43 44
@blackjack879 @DragonGirl1031 Sorry for the delay - I'm in the middle of grad school finals which are a bit like the Hunger Games except there's no hot guys!

@Cynictis Agree very strongly re: apparel. People seem to do this more on tumblr but it's a bad idea anywhere.

One more quick point for everyone: if you want my attention, make sure to ping me! Replies to the thread do not send me any alerts unless there's a ping attached. :)
@blackjack879 @DragonGirl1031 Sorry for the delay - I'm in the middle of grad school finals which are a bit like the Hunger Games except there's no hot guys!

@Cynictis Agree very strongly re: apparel. People seem to do this more on tumblr but it's a bad idea anywhere.

One more quick point for everyone: if you want my attention, make sure to ping me! Replies to the thread do not send me any alerts unless there's a ping attached. :)
U3uWWAU.png
@icyfuzz - Lol I love how you described that! So true. Finals come first. Good luck on them!

@Cynictis - What about small stuff? Simple necklace/bracelets, armbands, or wing bangles?
@icyfuzz - Lol I love how you described that! So true. Finals come first. Good luck on them!

@Cynictis - What about small stuff? Simple necklace/bracelets, armbands, or wing bangles?
@DragonGirl1031 - I think what Cynictis refers to is apparel like these ;3 [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1463016] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/14631/1463016_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Small things like bracelets and necklaces dosn't cover the genes and colours enough to make people wonder whats beneath :) [b][u]Edit:[/u][/b] Your hatchery thread is coming along very nicely :) Perhaps an idea to think about regarding the pairs. ( Atleast if you are gonna start with ping lists and such. ) If you give the pair a name, a " Theme Name" for each pair, then the buyers can easily refer to that name if they wish to be pinged :)
@DragonGirl1031 - I think what Cynictis refers to is apparel like these ;3

Small things like bracelets and necklaces dosn't cover the genes and colours enough to make people wonder whats beneath :)

Edit: Your hatchery thread is coming along very nicely :)
Perhaps an idea to think about regarding the pairs. ( Atleast if you are gonna start with ping lists and such. ) If you give the pair a name, a " Theme Name" for each pair, then the buyers can easily refer to that name if they wish to be pinged :)
84fusmL.png

@Tyragoosa - I didn't think small things would make too much a difference, but thought I'd ask. Thanks for the feed back!
Mmmmmm that is something I hadn't considered. XD Thank you! Will work on finding good themes.
@Tyragoosa - I didn't think small things would make too much a difference, but thought I'd ask. Thanks for the feed back!
Mmmmmm that is something I hadn't considered. XD Thank you! Will work on finding good themes.
Yo @icyfuzz and anyone else who wants to critique: my new hatchery thread is here, is there anything I could tweak?

http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=baz&id=1010446&p=mb
Yo @icyfuzz and anyone else who wants to critique: my new hatchery thread is here, is there anything I could tweak?

http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=baz&id=1010446&p=mb
@icyfuzz

Thank you so much for making this guide! I just started breeding seriously, but I was daunted by all the beautiful graphics I saw in other hatcheries. Thanks to your thread, I took the plunge and made one of my own! I'd greatly appreciate any and all feedback (from anyone, really), but I'd understand if it takes you some time to get back to me, especially after seeing all the other people asking for the same. Haha!

Thanks again!
@icyfuzz

Thank you so much for making this guide! I just started breeding seriously, but I was daunted by all the beautiful graphics I saw in other hatcheries. Thanks to your thread, I took the plunge and made one of my own! I'd greatly appreciate any and all feedback (from anyone, really), but I'd understand if it takes you some time to get back to me, especially after seeing all the other people asking for the same. Haha!

Thanks again!
@icyfuzz Okay, so I read your thread and decided to finally open my own breeding shop, could you give me a review please? :3

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=baz&id=1010881
@icyfuzz Okay, so I read your thread and decided to finally open my own breeding shop, could you give me a review please? :3

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=baz&id=1010881
Okay, enough finals, time to get on this. :)

@blackjack879 Can you provide some links to your breeding pair images? Most image editors should offer you some kind of resize function.

@DragonGirl1031 I think your hatchery has been extremely well-organized. The only recommendation I have at this time is to shrink your header heights. They should be skinny, more like a signature image than a full-fledged banner (granted mine are pretty fat too!).

@Cynictis This hatchery has a great and consistent theme. Plus I really like your Volcanic Crackle pair but that's neither here nor there. :) You may want to enhance the size or boldness of your pricetags to make them more apparent on a simple skimthrough, but other than that I think you are definitely on the right track.

@alendrea
  • Your main banner could stand to be a little fancier. Maybe some snowflakes? And centered text. At the moment it just looks like a header, and you always want to distinguish between your very first banner and all the section headers. Your first banner really gives the viewer a sense of your hatchery's style- you don't want it to be generic! :)
  • That said I find your header design to be very clean and appealing. The use of "white space" above the text is great for an icy blue hatchery.
  • Are you using your UPCOMING section for displaying unfinished breeding pairs? When I refer to the UPCOMING section I usually mean the post for finished pairs and their breeding dates.
  • What differentiates your general ping list from your ping list for each breeding pair?
  • Nice use of a quickjump area, though I think a horizontal arrangement would take up less space. Still, it fits the hatchery theme.

@GadzooksTD
  • Center all your images! Including: your main banner, your hatchling pics, your breeding pics
  • Bold/Underline your RULES title to help customers sort it out more easily.
  • "Be kind to other possible buyer's and myself, as I will not tolerate rudeness" Check upthread a bit for some comments I already gave about rules like these. Also change "buyer's" to "buyers." =)
  • As mentioned upthread, be careful about too much apparel in your breeding pair images. A buyer wants to know about your pairs' colors and genes, not their fashion. Too much apparel can also introduce a bit of clutter to the images when there's two dragons in close formation. For pairs that are themed after their apparel (ex. steampunk), try and get it down to one or two pieces of apparel that fit nicely into the image. If the pair does not have a specifically apparel-based theme (ex. Speckled Lovers, Wild n Shiny), it might do to just use a naked image for the breeding pair banner.
  • Separate your breeding pairs section from the intro and your hatchlings for sale (i.e. put the breeding pairs section in the next post down rather than the same post).
  • Experiment with borders for your breeding pair images so that the cut-off looks more arty than incidental. I like the idea, I think you just need to give it more of a "portrait" vibe. :)
Okay, enough finals, time to get on this. :)

@blackjack879 Can you provide some links to your breeding pair images? Most image editors should offer you some kind of resize function.

@DragonGirl1031 I think your hatchery has been extremely well-organized. The only recommendation I have at this time is to shrink your header heights. They should be skinny, more like a signature image than a full-fledged banner (granted mine are pretty fat too!).

@Cynictis This hatchery has a great and consistent theme. Plus I really like your Volcanic Crackle pair but that's neither here nor there. :) You may want to enhance the size or boldness of your pricetags to make them more apparent on a simple skimthrough, but other than that I think you are definitely on the right track.

@alendrea
  • Your main banner could stand to be a little fancier. Maybe some snowflakes? And centered text. At the moment it just looks like a header, and you always want to distinguish between your very first banner and all the section headers. Your first banner really gives the viewer a sense of your hatchery's style- you don't want it to be generic! :)
  • That said I find your header design to be very clean and appealing. The use of "white space" above the text is great for an icy blue hatchery.
  • Are you using your UPCOMING section for displaying unfinished breeding pairs? When I refer to the UPCOMING section I usually mean the post for finished pairs and their breeding dates.
  • What differentiates your general ping list from your ping list for each breeding pair?
  • Nice use of a quickjump area, though I think a horizontal arrangement would take up less space. Still, it fits the hatchery theme.

@GadzooksTD
  • Center all your images! Including: your main banner, your hatchling pics, your breeding pics
  • Bold/Underline your RULES title to help customers sort it out more easily.
  • "Be kind to other possible buyer's and myself, as I will not tolerate rudeness" Check upthread a bit for some comments I already gave about rules like these. Also change "buyer's" to "buyers." =)
  • As mentioned upthread, be careful about too much apparel in your breeding pair images. A buyer wants to know about your pairs' colors and genes, not their fashion. Too much apparel can also introduce a bit of clutter to the images when there's two dragons in close formation. For pairs that are themed after their apparel (ex. steampunk), try and get it down to one or two pieces of apparel that fit nicely into the image. If the pair does not have a specifically apparel-based theme (ex. Speckled Lovers, Wild n Shiny), it might do to just use a naked image for the breeding pair banner.
  • Separate your breeding pairs section from the intro and your hatchlings for sale (i.e. put the breeding pairs section in the next post down rather than the same post).
  • Experiment with borders for your breeding pair images so that the cut-off looks more arty than incidental. I like the idea, I think you just need to give it more of a "portrait" vibe. :)
U3uWWAU.png
@icyfuzz - Thanks for looking it over. When you say header heights, you're referring to the rules, for sale, pairs, etc? Or would you include the Title one too? I'm not sure I could shrink only the height down and still have it look good with the pattern I used for the background. :\
@icyfuzz - Thanks for looking it over. When you say header heights, you're referring to the rules, for sale, pairs, etc? Or would you include the Title one too? I'm not sure I could shrink only the height down and still have it look good with the pattern I used for the background. :\
@DragonGirl1031 Just the headers - the title banner is fine. :)
@DragonGirl1031 Just the headers - the title banner is fine. :)
U3uWWAU.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 43 44