Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Advice for people leaving home
1 2 3
@RiverEcho something my granny taught me was to buy things at the cheapest store first, and then work my way up so I was only buying one or two things tops at more expensive ones. It means more shopping around but it does save money.

If something you're going to use is on offer, like shampoo, soap, cleaning products or long life foods like pasta, and you have the money, buy it whether you need it or not. In future when you do need it and it's not on offer anymore, you'll have it.

Some things can be done more cheaply, like for breakfast I just have porridge/oatmeal because I can buy a massive bag of oats for the price of a box of cereal and it lasts easily four or five times longer. Plus it keeps you fuller for longer so you're less likely to snack!

Cooking for five people isn't much more expensive than cooking for one, so make a load of whatever meal you make and freeze it. Dinner might be more boring that way but it does save money (and also cooking time).

If you're in the UK, sign up to YouGov - it's a survey website and every 100 surveys you do (I get maybe 4 a week in my email) you get a £50 cheque. If you're not in the UK look up and see if there are any similar websites. Always check the reviews though because some will scam you.

Make a savings account and commit to putting a small amount in regularly. $1 a week is still $52 a year/$260 every five years.

If you pay bills by direct debit or standing order (the same amount comes out of your account every month) always make sure you claim back any money if you overpay. A lot of companies will charge more than you use anyway - mine was charging me £20 a month too much.

Also a lot of people will say "give up everything except the necessities" - do treat yourself occasionally because you get so stressed living really tightly, as long as you budget for it the odd takeout or coffee is not going to be the end of the world. :)
@RiverEcho something my granny taught me was to buy things at the cheapest store first, and then work my way up so I was only buying one or two things tops at more expensive ones. It means more shopping around but it does save money.

If something you're going to use is on offer, like shampoo, soap, cleaning products or long life foods like pasta, and you have the money, buy it whether you need it or not. In future when you do need it and it's not on offer anymore, you'll have it.

Some things can be done more cheaply, like for breakfast I just have porridge/oatmeal because I can buy a massive bag of oats for the price of a box of cereal and it lasts easily four or five times longer. Plus it keeps you fuller for longer so you're less likely to snack!

Cooking for five people isn't much more expensive than cooking for one, so make a load of whatever meal you make and freeze it. Dinner might be more boring that way but it does save money (and also cooking time).

If you're in the UK, sign up to YouGov - it's a survey website and every 100 surveys you do (I get maybe 4 a week in my email) you get a £50 cheque. If you're not in the UK look up and see if there are any similar websites. Always check the reviews though because some will scam you.

Make a savings account and commit to putting a small amount in regularly. $1 a week is still $52 a year/$260 every five years.

If you pay bills by direct debit or standing order (the same amount comes out of your account every month) always make sure you claim back any money if you overpay. A lot of companies will charge more than you use anyway - mine was charging me £20 a month too much.

Also a lot of people will say "give up everything except the necessities" - do treat yourself occasionally because you get so stressed living really tightly, as long as you budget for it the odd takeout or coffee is not going to be the end of the world. :)
8NMuwb6.jpg
There's a book called Poorcraft that has insanely useful advice for anyone starting on their own, tight budget or not. I believe you can find it on Amazon.
There's a book called Poorcraft that has insanely useful advice for anyone starting on their own, tight budget or not. I believe you can find it on Amazon.
Volunteer Moderator: If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising team, not the volunteer moderator group
@admcattiebrie @TonalOwl
Thank you! Both of your advice means a lot. Especially on roommates. My boyfriend and fellow coworkers have had bad luck with roommates in the past.
@admcattiebrie @TonalOwl
Thank you! Both of your advice means a lot. Especially on roommates. My boyfriend and fellow coworkers have had bad luck with roommates in the past.
466w8yC.png
@RiverEcho anything to try to save someone from learning hard lessons, my first year out I got conned into buying life insurance, while I was struggling to eat. I felt like I was drowning. It sucked so much, that I started to aggressively research how I can make things easier. and have learned a lot about living with nothing.
@RiverEcho anything to try to save someone from learning hard lessons, my first year out I got conned into buying life insurance, while I was struggling to eat. I felt like I was drowning. It sucked so much, that I started to aggressively research how I can make things easier. and have learned a lot about living with nothing.
Hi My name is clueless, How may I serve?
@TonalOwl
Eep ._. I hope you're doing better
@TonalOwl
Eep ._. I hope you're doing better
466w8yC.png
Ahh I'll need to keep an eye on this thread. Long story short, I'm planning on moving out soon but don't have nearly enough money to do so. Money-making tips, anyone?
Ahh I'll need to keep an eye on this thread. Long story short, I'm planning on moving out soon but don't have nearly enough money to do so. Money-making tips, anyone?
SXqaLwu.png

she/her
FR + 8/9
x
x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxart shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg1 sales
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxprofile dragon

@RiverEcho I've been doing a lot better since I started working at amazon. :3 but thanks for the concern
@RiverEcho I've been doing a lot better since I started working at amazon. :3 but thanks for the concern
Hi My name is clueless, How may I serve?
@Fantelle I got the first full-time job I could (which I know is often easier said than done) and saved every penny till I had enough to move out. It took around a year of working 50 hours a week on minimum wage and having barely any social life (although I was also contributing 25% to my parents' house so it took a little longer)

My advice if moving out is a total choice (eg, you're not going to school, you're not being relocated for work, your parents haven't decided that you're older than they were so it's time for independence, etc) then try your best to save up enough for your first three months on your own, there will always be unexpected bills and moving fees and having those savings really helps.
@Fantelle I got the first full-time job I could (which I know is often easier said than done) and saved every penny till I had enough to move out. It took around a year of working 50 hours a week on minimum wage and having barely any social life (although I was also contributing 25% to my parents' house so it took a little longer)

My advice if moving out is a total choice (eg, you're not going to school, you're not being relocated for work, your parents haven't decided that you're older than they were so it's time for independence, etc) then try your best to save up enough for your first three months on your own, there will always be unexpected bills and moving fees and having those savings really helps.
8NMuwb6.jpg
@admcattiebrie Thanks for this, it's nice to get a time estimate as well. ^^
@admcattiebrie Thanks for this, it's nice to get a time estimate as well. ^^
SXqaLwu.png

she/her
FR + 8/9
x
x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxart shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg1 sales
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxprofile dragon

Get ready to suffer