Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Gen1 appeal
1 2 3 4
Just curious - why are gen1s so sought after? Is it for lore reasons, getting to gene them up, how rare they are? Been on this site for a while and still haven't caught gen1 fever, I only have one that I hatched on the day of the color wheel expansion. Thoughts?
Just curious - why are gen1s so sought after? Is it for lore reasons, getting to gene them up, how rare they are? Been on this site for a while and still haven't caught gen1 fever, I only have one that I hatched on the day of the color wheel expansion. Thoughts?
elderberryseas_by_featherblot-d9sw7kr.pngPrVhEEu.gif
@PoseFKA

They're not a thing for everyone, personally I'm not much into G1s either. Some people enjoy the challenge of getting good colors out of RNG - when you breed dragons, you can predict what the offspring might look like, while with hatching eggs it's 100% random. Then they have fun gene'ing a blank slate. Many people prefer not to breed G1s, but for those who don't mind doing so, it's also good because a G1 can breed with every single dragon on the site except for its own offspring.
@PoseFKA

They're not a thing for everyone, personally I'm not much into G1s either. Some people enjoy the challenge of getting good colors out of RNG - when you breed dragons, you can predict what the offspring might look like, while with hatching eggs it's 100% random. Then they have fun gene'ing a blank slate. Many people prefer not to breed G1s, but for those who don't mind doing so, it's also good because a G1 can breed with every single dragon on the site except for its own offspring.
VOkp50l.png Neffi
she/her
FR +9

Arcane Dom Lead
8vElUoQ.png
a few months ago, i didn't get it either. and now uh. now i have a big, big problem and it's called too many g1s and not enough time in the day to make money to dump onto them. for me, i like the aesthetic of the blank parents/offspring list, and there's something about the fact that they're just unique. from a breeding pair, other people can have the same dragon as me as many times over as the parents are put on a nest. it's satisfactory to have a dragon that's specifically tailored to what you want and whatever you can come up with. i don't know. they're just cool.
a few months ago, i didn't get it either. and now uh. now i have a big, big problem and it's called too many g1s and not enough time in the day to make money to dump onto them. for me, i like the aesthetic of the blank parents/offspring list, and there's something about the fact that they're just unique. from a breeding pair, other people can have the same dragon as me as many times over as the parents are put on a nest. it's satisfactory to have a dragon that's specifically tailored to what you want and whatever you can come up with. i don't know. they're just cool.
[quote name="matejko" date=2016-08-16 07:25:50] a few months ago, i didn't get it either. and now uh. now i have a big, big problem and it's called too many g1s and not enough time in the day to make money to dump onto them. for me, i like the aesthetic of the blank parents/offspring list, and there's something about the fact that they're just unique. from a breeding pair, other people can have the same dragon as me as many times over as the parents are put on a nest. it's satisfactory to have a dragon that's specifically tailored to what you want and whatever you can come up with. i don't know. they're just cool. [/quote] This is exactly how I feel. And gening up G1s is so satisfying!
matejko wrote on 2016-08-16:

This is exactly how I feel.
And gening up G1s is so satisfying!
@PoseFKA I'm not huge into them! A lot of folks I know really dig the blank legacy thing, yeah, that's probably a lot of it. Someone I know never breeds her g1's and has maybe 3 breeding pairs at all. I guess it's just a different strokes sorta thing.

I've just ended up with several because I joined right before the color wheel expansion and there was a lot of "GET THIS DRAGON OUT OF MY LAIR" g1 dragons floating around and I'm a softie. Is fun to gene them up from scratch though! (But I've picked up / gened a few folks' progens' first kids too, so, I'm all about that sentimental lore potential I guess!)
@PoseFKA I'm not huge into them! A lot of folks I know really dig the blank legacy thing, yeah, that's probably a lot of it. Someone I know never breeds her g1's and has maybe 3 breeding pairs at all. I guess it's just a different strokes sorta thing.

I've just ended up with several because I joined right before the color wheel expansion and there was a lot of "GET THIS DRAGON OUT OF MY LAIR" g1 dragons floating around and I'm a softie. Is fun to gene them up from scratch though! (But I've picked up / gened a few folks' progens' first kids too, so, I'm all about that sentimental lore potential I guess!)
woof? woof
I'm not particularly into G1 collecting, but every now and then, I get an itch to buy and gene-up a G1. I think, for most people, it's the fun in having something original and untouched (if unbred); something that is a blank slate for them to mold and fashion for themselves.

Of course, you can also do that with your Progens or any other dragon, but I believe that G1s are special. It's a chance to "start over" in a way.

@PoseFKA
I'm not particularly into G1 collecting, but every now and then, I get an itch to buy and gene-up a G1. I think, for most people, it's the fun in having something original and untouched (if unbred); something that is a blank slate for them to mold and fashion for themselves.

Of course, you can also do that with your Progens or any other dragon, but I believe that G1s are special. It's a chance to "start over" in a way.

@PoseFKA
+3 FRT
@PoseFKA

I think for me at least a lot of the appeal is in the challenge of it. Finding decent and affordable color combos, figuring out how to make colors work with different genes, saving up for genes, it's all a lot more work that results in a much more unique dragon. I can search the AH and find a ton of pretty dragons with multiple gem genes for cheap, but my space is limited and it'd be easy to get in an endless cycle of obtaining and purging out pretty dragons. Even if I ultimately decide not to keep them, the time and energy I've put into my gen ones makes them a bit more meaningful and makes me a bit more invested in keeping them in my clan permanently.
@PoseFKA

I think for me at least a lot of the appeal is in the challenge of it. Finding decent and affordable color combos, figuring out how to make colors work with different genes, saving up for genes, it's all a lot more work that results in a much more unique dragon. I can search the AH and find a ton of pretty dragons with multiple gem genes for cheap, but my space is limited and it'd be easy to get in an endless cycle of obtaining and purging out pretty dragons. Even if I ultimately decide not to keep them, the time and energy I've put into my gen ones makes them a bit more meaningful and makes me a bit more invested in keeping them in my clan permanently.
I like them because they are 'blank slates'
Not tied to any other dragons/players, A complete fresh start :)
I like them because they are 'blank slates'
Not tied to any other dragons/players, A complete fresh start :)
If you don't get the appeal, please try to stay that way. :) Gen1s are an expensive hobby that doesn't really mean anything unless you build it up in your head. I say that because I also didn't get the appeal even several months ago, but now I think it's really fun to start with a blank slate and make them look cool. Plus, it's pretty cool to see where their offspring go, and feeling 100% responsible for the genes those offspring have! But yeah, it really only means something when you want it to mean something, and it's very expensive satisfaction.
If you don't get the appeal, please try to stay that way. :) Gen1s are an expensive hobby that doesn't really mean anything unless you build it up in your head. I say that because I also didn't get the appeal even several months ago, but now I think it's really fun to start with a blank slate and make them look cool. Plus, it's pretty cool to see where their offspring go, and feeling 100% responsible for the genes those offspring have! But yeah, it really only means something when you want it to mean something, and it's very expensive satisfaction.
@PoseFKA for me, like some others, it's for the challenge of it! I got tired of just collecting pretty dragons after like a month here, but I didn't want to leave - I just don't find normal dragons appealing in the slightest. Where you wonder why people collect G1s, I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal of collecting normal dragons! I mean, it's so easy. Doesn't feel very rewarding, y'know? And it feels like such a waste to personalise a normal dragon with genes/breed changes when there's probably hundreds of identical dragons out there anyway.

Plus there's the added bonus of no parents, so no baggage. I wouldn't want my dragons to clash with their parents' established lore, but I also wouldn't want to be restricted by it... and honestly, my lore tends to be pretty dark, so that'd be even harder to fit in with the parent thing. A lot of my dragons are orphans, or come from unpleasant backgrounds. The majority of breeding clans are just like normal families - not much conflict or hardship to work into an interesting personality.
@PoseFKA for me, like some others, it's for the challenge of it! I got tired of just collecting pretty dragons after like a month here, but I didn't want to leave - I just don't find normal dragons appealing in the slightest. Where you wonder why people collect G1s, I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal of collecting normal dragons! I mean, it's so easy. Doesn't feel very rewarding, y'know? And it feels like such a waste to personalise a normal dragon with genes/breed changes when there's probably hundreds of identical dragons out there anyway.

Plus there's the added bonus of no parents, so no baggage. I wouldn't want my dragons to clash with their parents' established lore, but I also wouldn't want to be restricted by it... and honestly, my lore tends to be pretty dark, so that'd be even harder to fit in with the parent thing. A lot of my dragons are orphans, or come from unpleasant backgrounds. The majority of breeding clans are just like normal families - not much conflict or hardship to work into an interesting personality.
1 2 3 4