Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon anatomy/features drawing advice?
Hey, some fluffy Kyurem here again.

So... I was wondering how to draw a dragon, a fluffy dragon as well as making it look unique and cute.
A tundra dragon or angel dutch dragon are not the dragons I want to draw exactly... Just a fluffy dragon with a wolf appearance but also looking cute at the same time...

Sorry, I'm just having some sort of meltdown, thinking that I can't seem to get the art style I wanted for a long time. I've practiced and looked at other people's artworks but I don't think they're helping me improve that easily...

Hey, some fluffy Kyurem here again.

So... I was wondering how to draw a dragon, a fluffy dragon as well as making it look unique and cute.
A tundra dragon or angel dutch dragon are not the dragons I want to draw exactly... Just a fluffy dragon with a wolf appearance but also looking cute at the same time...

Sorry, I'm just having some sort of meltdown, thinking that I can't seem to get the art style I wanted for a long time. I've practiced and looked at other people's artworks but I don't think they're helping me improve that easily...

kyurem_animated_by_amanda_martin_am-d39zrdr.gif
@IclynAster The best thing to do when you wanna draw something but don't know how to draw it is to look up IRL references! Which real animals have features that you wanna include in your dragon art? The fluffy ears of a wolf? The legs of a rabbit or the tail of a cat? The face of a panda? Look up images of these animals and draw what you see.
We can't draw something if we don't know what it looks like! And drawing from IRL animals will also help you nail anatomy more easily. Good luck!
@IclynAster The best thing to do when you wanna draw something but don't know how to draw it is to look up IRL references! Which real animals have features that you wanna include in your dragon art? The fluffy ears of a wolf? The legs of a rabbit or the tail of a cat? The face of a panda? Look up images of these animals and draw what you see.
We can't draw something if we don't know what it looks like! And drawing from IRL animals will also help you nail anatomy more easily. Good luck!
Accent Shop
@IclynAster [img]http://orig08.deviantart.net/749a/f/2016/184/5/5/process_of_floof_dragon_by_falconinthesky-da8mcdx.png[/img] In addition, it is often very helpful to tackle an image by breaking it down into simple shapes. Everything begins with either vague shapes or vague sketch skeletons, and it makes it significantly easier to go over images you find (be it what other people drew or using animals as references), take note of what features you like and dislike of each, and try to find ways to experiment on how to incorporate it in your design. Also, [i]don't be afraid if the first time doesn't work![/i] Take this sketch I did as an example. I started with simple shapes and a very vague idea of what I wanted to do. It took more than one design, and it's still not perfect (there's a boatload of errors) but the more you go over a design, eventually you'll find more and more things to touch up upon until you feel you're satisfied with the results. Drawings and designs can take anywhere from the very first design to as many as twenty, but don't be afraid to go back to old designs and find ways to change them around to see if it makes them better.
@IclynAster

process_of_floof_dragon_by_falconinthesky-da8mcdx.png

In addition, it is often very helpful to tackle an image by breaking it down into simple shapes. Everything begins with either vague shapes or vague sketch skeletons, and it makes it significantly easier to go over images you find (be it what other people drew or using animals as references), take note of what features you like and dislike of each, and try to find ways to experiment on how to incorporate it in your design.

Also, don't be afraid if the first time doesn't work! Take this sketch I did as an example. I started with simple shapes and a very vague idea of what I wanted to do. It took more than one design, and it's still not perfect (there's a boatload of errors) but the more you go over a design, eventually you'll find more and more things to touch up upon until you feel you're satisfied with the results. Drawings and designs can take anywhere from the very first design to as many as twenty, but don't be afraid to go back to old designs and find ways to change them around to see if it makes them better.

@OwlFeather @YamiYugi

Sorry for late reply! xC

Thank you for those tips! But I think I have already knew them.
Also, I want my dragon character to be fun to draw as I had more fun drawing other people's characters instead of mine. I've practiced and practice but I think my character still doesn't look good but I guess I just have been too lonely...

I'm going to go and see if I can try and get someone to draw a reference of him for me, I have the concept sketches and I think that's good enough...
@OwlFeather @YamiYugi

Sorry for late reply! xC

Thank you for those tips! But I think I have already knew them.
Also, I want my dragon character to be fun to draw as I had more fun drawing other people's characters instead of mine. I've practiced and practice but I think my character still doesn't look good but I guess I just have been too lonely...

I'm going to go and see if I can try and get someone to draw a reference of him for me, I have the concept sketches and I think that's good enough...
@IclynAster Wait, wait, don't give up yet, there's a solution! [quote name="IclynAster" date=2016-07-03 17:40:32]I want my dragon character to be fun to draw as I had more fun drawing other people's characters instead of mine. [/quote] Right there! Start right there! Take a look at every dragon you like visually or like to draw otherwise. What did you like about them? What did you dislike about them? Break down those kind of traits and experiment with them. I've known of a youtuber by the name of [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpj2J4tn4YI]Jazza[/url] who is far better explaining the process than I am and actually goes over the process in this video. However, while he goes over fresh designs, there's really no reason you can't start from here. Think of the things you like about those designs you saw or drew, and start from there. Experiment around with the dragon you want, add and take away features in your attempts, and see what happens from there.
@IclynAster Wait, wait, don't give up yet, there's a solution!
IclynAster wrote on 2016-07-03:
I want my dragon character to be fun to draw as I had more fun drawing other people's characters instead of mine.

Right there! Start right there!

Take a look at every dragon you like visually or like to draw otherwise. What did you like about them? What did you dislike about them? Break down those kind of traits and experiment with them.

I've known of a youtuber by the name of Jazza who is far better explaining the process than I am and actually goes over the process in this video. However, while he goes over fresh designs, there's really no reason you can't start from here. Think of the things you like about those designs you saw or drew, and start from there. Experiment around with the dragon you want, add and take away features in your attempts, and see what happens from there.
@YamiYugi

That's what I did before.

I need to draw a good reference of my dragon oc. I don't know if I should pay an artist to make one for me, (I still need to get the colours and markings decided xC) or I should attempt creating one on my own... (The linearting is a pain...)
@YamiYugi

That's what I did before.

I need to draw a good reference of my dragon oc. I don't know if I should pay an artist to make one for me, (I still need to get the colours and markings decided xC) or I should attempt creating one on my own... (The linearting is a pain...)