Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Color Wheel Expansion Previews
1 2 ... 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 ... 1399 1400
@Nryenth Hmm yes I wouldn't know that either! My guess would be because Iri/Shim don't have defined lines or shapes and the colours used don't correspond with the usual accent colors used for the other genes.. But as you said, then Poison and Toxin would have a similar problem... But I honestly don't know how exactly the tool works..! It could be worth asking in the Q&A but I don't know if this may be information the staff prefers to keep internal or not!
@Nryenth Hmm yes I wouldn't know that either! My guess would be because Iri/Shim don't have defined lines or shapes and the colours used don't correspond with the usual accent colors used for the other genes.. But as you said, then Poison and Toxin would have a similar problem... But I honestly don't know how exactly the tool works..! It could be worth asking in the Q&A but I don't know if this may be information the staff prefers to keep internal or not!
@Gaia

Hmm, I guess I'll try asking in the Q&A. I wasn't sure if the admins would like to share the informations about the tool, but I think it's likely that the answer to the question about IriShim difference could be given without revealing any technical details they'd rather keep to themselves.

Oh, and while I'm asking technical questions... The topic was discussed before, but shouldn't the secondary Ice main colour be the same as primary's? I mean, I get why they want to change as little as possible regarding the existing colours, but no matter how I look at it, it seems like a colouring error, since (if I'm not forgetting something) it's the only colour to be different in prim and sec, and the general rule is for them to be the same. (And I'm too lazy to check in an art program, but it also seems like some poses have the same colour for Ice prim and sec - Spiral M&F, Snapper F.)
@Gaia

Hmm, I guess I'll try asking in the Q&A. I wasn't sure if the admins would like to share the informations about the tool, but I think it's likely that the answer to the question about IriShim difference could be given without revealing any technical details they'd rather keep to themselves.

Oh, and while I'm asking technical questions... The topic was discussed before, but shouldn't the secondary Ice main colour be the same as primary's? I mean, I get why they want to change as little as possible regarding the existing colours, but no matter how I look at it, it seems like a colouring error, since (if I'm not forgetting something) it's the only colour to be different in prim and sec, and the general rule is for them to be the same. (And I'm too lazy to check in an art program, but it also seems like some poses have the same colour for Ice prim and sec - Spiral M&F, Snapper F.)
frsig1_by_ragoni-dal06o7.pngfrsig2_by_ragoni-dal06op.pngfrsig3_by_ragoni-dal06pf.pngfrsig4_by_ragoni-dal06py.pngfrsig5_by_ragoni-dal06ql.png
@Nryenth .... It should, based on how all other colours work, yes.. But I just now noticed that it is indeed not the case for Ice primary/secondary on most breeds (I checked on Faes)! Definitely another question to ask in the Q&A, because I don't know whether this was deliberate or also a mistake. It seems to me that these types of discrepancies will be fixed because of the tool, same as Spring Glimmer on Spiral males will also be fixed, but if it is intentional it may not! I don't know! It's one of the many things that makes this wait so unbearable! xD So many things we don't know yet
@Nryenth .... It should, based on how all other colours work, yes.. But I just now noticed that it is indeed not the case for Ice primary/secondary on most breeds (I checked on Faes)! Definitely another question to ask in the Q&A, because I don't know whether this was deliberate or also a mistake. It seems to me that these types of discrepancies will be fixed because of the tool, same as Spring Glimmer on Spiral males will also be fixed, but if it is intentional it may not! I don't know! It's one of the many things that makes this wait so unbearable! xD So many things we don't know yet
These new colours are lovely!
These new colours are lovely!
a6ab6a2a-f6bd-40ad-a7bb-e9fcf5166a6c_zps3583fa7c.png
@Gaia

My concern comes mostly from that I vaguely remember someone stating in an earlier discussion on this topic that it's not going to be fixed..? Maybe I'm wrong. Though indeed, with the tool, it would be likely automatically drawn from the same colour sample, so they would need to make a deliberate exception for this, and it even seems like a lot of work if the colour picker normally uses the same colour sample to fill main areas on prim and sec.

I'm impatient too! There are many colours I really like (even though I feel like purples and reds are lacking a bit, but that's likely because I care about them the most, haha), and I'm curious how will they look like with genes, especially Poxin and Petals/Butterfly~

And who knows, maybe the staff will be able to meet their initial plans of two breeds/year with the colouring tool?

Either way, the anniversary seems like it's going to be extra-nice this year!
@Gaia

My concern comes mostly from that I vaguely remember someone stating in an earlier discussion on this topic that it's not going to be fixed..? Maybe I'm wrong. Though indeed, with the tool, it would be likely automatically drawn from the same colour sample, so they would need to make a deliberate exception for this, and it even seems like a lot of work if the colour picker normally uses the same colour sample to fill main areas on prim and sec.

I'm impatient too! There are many colours I really like (even though I feel like purples and reds are lacking a bit, but that's likely because I care about them the most, haha), and I'm curious how will they look like with genes, especially Poxin and Petals/Butterfly~

And who knows, maybe the staff will be able to meet their initial plans of two breeds/year with the colouring tool?

Either way, the anniversary seems like it's going to be extra-nice this year!
frsig1_by_ragoni-dal06o7.pngfrsig2_by_ragoni-dal06op.pngfrsig3_by_ragoni-dal06pf.pngfrsig4_by_ragoni-dal06py.pngfrsig5_by_ragoni-dal06ql.png
[quote name="OlivarryFlarrow" date=2016-05-08 07:45:36] Would someone be willing to do a Shadow/Cyan/Cyan Male PC, a Sable/Copper/Copper male Coatl, an Overcast/Smoke/Smoke femalce PC, and a Latte/Moon/Moon on both PC poses?(Sorry for so many. I'm so curious) [/quote]
OlivarryFlarrow wrote on 2016-05-08:
Would someone be willing to do a Shadow/Cyan/Cyan Male PC, a Sable/Copper/Copper male Coatl, an Overcast/Smoke/Smoke femalce PC, and a Latte/Moon/Moon on both PC poses?(Sorry for so many. I'm so curious)
RoaminRonan.gif
@Nryenth
I assumed the preview coatls in this post were made with the new tool, and yet the ice preview still has a different colour on the wings than the body. So hmm. I do wonder if it'll be fixed or not.
@Nryenth
I assumed the preview coatls in this post were made with the new tool, and yet the ice preview still has a different colour on the wings than the body. So hmm. I do wonder if it'll be fixed or not.
VWPWMZp.png
@multiplicity

Oh yeah, you're right. That would make sense, I doubt Undel would fill the colours by hand while already having the tool. So that would mean my theory about taking samples from the same main colour isn't right. I'm rather surprised, as it seems logical, at least with my understanding of the tool.
@multiplicity

Oh yeah, you're right. That would make sense, I doubt Undel would fill the colours by hand while already having the tool. So that would mean my theory about taking samples from the same main colour isn't right. I'm rather surprised, as it seems logical, at least with my understanding of the tool.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE ROBIN AND ANTIQUE COLORS
I LOVE LOVE LOVE ROBIN AND ANTIQUE COLORS
tEaYRfe.pnguZVrIJZ.png
[quote name="Nryenth" date=2016-05-10 03:32:32] @ Gaia Thanks for answering! :) I knew, more or less, how the colouring tool works, I was just curious why it can't be used on IriShim - though maybe it's like you said, that the layers for IriShim are less defined, and semi-transparent..? I've imagined the tool as something that works sorta like PS/GIMP and just automatically fills the layers with colour, but maybe it doesn't deal well with transparency? Though on the other hand, Poxin and Petals/Butterfly have similar effects and it wasn't said that they need to be done by hand (or I didn't see it was). Maybe I'm going too much into it, I just want to know how this stuff works. X) In my mind, in one gene/breed/pose file, 1 layer = 1 colour (sorta like in the basic psds and my poorly extracted terts), and as IriShim patterns seem fixed, I imagine it to be 3-5 layers, similarly to any other gene. But then again, basing on what you said, maybe the program used doesn't work that close to PS/GIMP and has it's limits? Idk. ^_^" Wow, this got long. Sorry. >_>" [/quote] @Nryenth As a person who has had to try and replicate irishim, i can take a stab at this. Irishim doesn't really seem to have a set palate that you can tell it to fill in an exact way. You can't point at a color and tell it to fill exactly this here for irishim. There's more highlighting, and there's a distinctly different tweaking across every breed and gender. Just in general, the gene is complex. It also appears to run off of a series of gradients and overall, references colors that aren't really part of the palate that has been established for the other genes. Part of the issue might be that the colors are tweaked a bit within the range that we're used to seeing on the current dragons, and the fact that the gradient direction may or may not be flipped occasionally (I haven't done a close enough study of the gene) based on how the artist feels it looks best. TL;DR: the gene is way more complex than it seems just looking at it, and probably requires a lot of individual tweaking to produce the desired effect. You can always get good at guessing how something will look, but you won't always know until you actually try it out and look at the product of your endeavors. @OlivarryFlarrow [img]https://67.media.tumblr.com/842fc455ea6231a58cdec3c64d285edc/tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o4_1280.png[/img] Sable/copper/copper [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/0c9c02ceaf3620050415ad5db26afc0f/tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o5_1280.png[/img] Shadow/Cyan/Cyan [img]https://65.media.tumblr.com/71521f753ff279eaff300eff72954df2/tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o3_1280.png[/img] Overcast/Smoke/Smoke [img]https://67.media.tumblr.com/fed4d711c529ca771c566c1b4255656e/tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o1_1280.png[/img] [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/1dc33f30b66aac19f0aff76b039decc6/tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o2_1280.png[/img] Latte/Moon/Moon
Nryenth wrote on 2016-05-10:
@ Gaia

Thanks for answering! :)

I knew, more or less, how the colouring tool works, I was just curious why it can't be used on IriShim - though maybe it's like you said, that the layers for IriShim are less defined, and semi-transparent..? I've imagined the tool as something that works sorta like PS/GIMP and just automatically fills the layers with colour, but maybe it doesn't deal well with transparency? Though on the other hand, Poxin and Petals/Butterfly have similar effects and it wasn't said that they need to be done by hand (or I didn't see it was).

Maybe I'm going too much into it, I just want to know how this stuff works. X) In my mind, in one gene/breed/pose file, 1 layer = 1 colour (sorta like in the basic psds and my poorly extracted terts), and as IriShim patterns seem fixed, I imagine it to be 3-5 layers, similarly to any other gene. But then again, basing on what you said, maybe the program used doesn't work that close to PS/GIMP and has it's limits? Idk. ^_^"

Wow, this got long. Sorry. >_>"

@Nryenth As a person who has had to try and replicate irishim, i can take a stab at this.
Irishim doesn't really seem to have a set palate that you can tell it to fill in an exact way. You can't point at a color and tell it to fill exactly this here for irishim. There's more highlighting, and there's a distinctly different tweaking across every breed and gender. Just in general, the gene is complex. It also appears to run off of a series of gradients and overall, references colors that aren't really part of the palate that has been established for the other genes.

Part of the issue might be that the colors are tweaked a bit within the range that we're used to seeing on the current dragons, and the fact that the gradient direction may or may not be flipped occasionally (I haven't done a close enough study of the gene) based on how the artist feels it looks best.

TL;DR: the gene is way more complex than it seems just looking at it, and probably requires a lot of individual tweaking to produce the desired effect. You can always get good at guessing how something will look, but you won't always know until you actually try it out and look at the product of your endeavors.

@OlivarryFlarrow

tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o4_1280.png
Sable/copper/copper
tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o5_1280.png
Shadow/Cyan/Cyan
tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o3_1280.png
Overcast/Smoke/Smoke
tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o1_1280.png
tumblr_o6zojognGl1r3nim6o2_1280.png
Latte/Moon/Moon
iOAzfdC.giftDeKDnH.pngh9RKTmz.gif
1 2 ... 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 ... 1399 1400