Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Why do people trace art and then deny it
1 2 3 4 5 6
@GhostSlugs That's really unfortunate. What site did this happen at? I want to know so I can avoid it XD
@GhostSlugs That's really unfortunate. What site did this happen at? I want to know so I can avoid it XD
In combo with my own pictures I take (of animals) I use a certain method in adobe illustrator that involves tracing of a sort. So yes, it's tracing, but it's all my own combo of things to create art. I also think that if you are using free stock photos and some tracing to learn how to draw different parts (tails, ears, eyes, etc) that's fine as a teaching tool but it needs to be a spring pad for your own art, to learn and grow from, not to be the whole of it. And, as always, CREDIT the artist who took the photos, even if the photos are "free" stock. (Which, really, unless you have express permission, should not be used if it's not that type. This whole shebang is not to be confused with using a collage of photos for reference/etc.)
In combo with my own pictures I take (of animals) I use a certain method in adobe illustrator that involves tracing of a sort. So yes, it's tracing, but it's all my own combo of things to create art. I also think that if you are using free stock photos and some tracing to learn how to draw different parts (tails, ears, eyes, etc) that's fine as a teaching tool but it needs to be a spring pad for your own art, to learn and grow from, not to be the whole of it. And, as always, CREDIT the artist who took the photos, even if the photos are "free" stock. (Which, really, unless you have express permission, should not be used if it's not that type. This whole shebang is not to be confused with using a collage of photos for reference/etc.)
@GhostSlugs
You'd be surprised, some people can just look at certain pictures and copy them without tracing! I actually cannot trace well, but if a drawing is in an anime style I can replicate it. I used to do it with Pokemon to get their anatomy and pose ideas correct. I never ever denied it though,I always said "yeah I redrew this exact picture" and never claimed it as my own. :X (But there is always the possibility that they didn't trace...)
@GhostSlugs
You'd be surprised, some people can just look at certain pictures and copy them without tracing! I actually cannot trace well, but if a drawing is in an anime style I can replicate it. I used to do it with Pokemon to get their anatomy and pose ideas correct. I never ever denied it though,I always said "yeah I redrew this exact picture" and never claimed it as my own. :X (But there is always the possibility that they didn't trace...)
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
I don't really see it as problematic to trace other peoples art for learning purposes. It's not a good or effective way to learn, but for a lot of kids that's how we start out. We see a style we like, like a Disney or anime show or a superhero comic, and we don't really know how to become that good at that point - we just know we want to be able to draw like that! I remember starting off my 'art career' by tracing/copying a popular webcomic. None of it was ever uploaded, but soon enough I'd grasped the style well enough to draw my own stuff reasonably well. It became a sort of standard that I could compare myself to and that was valuable. Of course it was also a crutch and, like I said, not a good way to learn (the best way would've probably been to start from the beginning and do the "spheres, boxes cones" thing and because I started off this way, I had no concept of 3D form which became crippling later on. Tracing simply isn't a good tool for absolute beginners).

But yeah, people can absolutely do near-identical copies of other peoples drawings without tracing. Realism is a thing. Spend a few years learning how to copy what you see and gosh damn it you will know how to copy what you see! ... of course, these people won't have the shaky or stiff lines that most tracers do, lol xD

I don't like seeing traced artwork online, even if there's credit given. There are free pose bases available for people who can't draw and just want to make a character ref, for example. They're all over DeviantArt and are free to download. No need to trace other peoples things if you plan to upload it. Rather, at least trace a few different drawings, get a fel for it, then draw your own thing, from your head, based on what you just learned about style and proportions. It's still not a good way to learn, but that's going to be YOUR art, at least. You're not uploading someone elses hard work and use it for your own purposes.
I don't really see it as problematic to trace other peoples art for learning purposes. It's not a good or effective way to learn, but for a lot of kids that's how we start out. We see a style we like, like a Disney or anime show or a superhero comic, and we don't really know how to become that good at that point - we just know we want to be able to draw like that! I remember starting off my 'art career' by tracing/copying a popular webcomic. None of it was ever uploaded, but soon enough I'd grasped the style well enough to draw my own stuff reasonably well. It became a sort of standard that I could compare myself to and that was valuable. Of course it was also a crutch and, like I said, not a good way to learn (the best way would've probably been to start from the beginning and do the "spheres, boxes cones" thing and because I started off this way, I had no concept of 3D form which became crippling later on. Tracing simply isn't a good tool for absolute beginners).

But yeah, people can absolutely do near-identical copies of other peoples drawings without tracing. Realism is a thing. Spend a few years learning how to copy what you see and gosh damn it you will know how to copy what you see! ... of course, these people won't have the shaky or stiff lines that most tracers do, lol xD

I don't like seeing traced artwork online, even if there's credit given. There are free pose bases available for people who can't draw and just want to make a character ref, for example. They're all over DeviantArt and are free to download. No need to trace other peoples things if you plan to upload it. Rather, at least trace a few different drawings, get a fel for it, then draw your own thing, from your head, based on what you just learned about style and proportions. It's still not a good way to learn, but that's going to be YOUR art, at least. You're not uploading someone elses hard work and use it for your own purposes.
ain't no rest for the wicked
i've traced for learning purposes and practice, but i think it's scummy to trace and publish it and claim it as yours
i've traced for learning purposes and practice, but i think it's scummy to trace and publish it and claim it as yours
dgCbOKw.png
Ah I remember when I posted some Art in my Instagram account and guess what? This girl saw my art and traced the whole thing and entered it in a contest??? (She didn't win the contest)
Ah I remember when I posted some Art in my Instagram account and guess what? This girl saw my art and traced the whole thing and entered it in a contest??? (She didn't win the contest)
JVh11Ww.png
I have to say some people are able to get very accurate from just having it sidebyside example: [img]https://snag.gy/FAUx9Y.jpg[/img] and [img]http://www.bhmpics.com/thumbs/canada_snowy_mountains-t2.jpg[/img] People trace because they might not know better people trace because it's encouraged in art class They trance because they like the attention and don't feel resource about taign undeserved credit.
I have to say some people are able to get very accurate from just having it sidebyside
example:
FAUx9Y.jpg

and

canada_snowy_mountains-t2.jpg

People trace because they might not know better
people trace because it's encouraged in art class
They trance because they like the attention and don't feel resource about taign undeserved credit.

[quote name="Barrypaws" date=2016-04-24 10:35:30] ain't no rest for the wicked [/quote]
Barrypaws wrote on 2016-04-24:
8vfZ9uw.png
I used to trace, then I got into the habit of heavy referencing (copying what I was looking at on screen translated to my own paper). I got used to drawing in different styles and poses this way. I never went beyond putting them in my sketchbook though. Most people who do art want to do something professionally with art but I did it because I needed a hobby. Never had to claim anything I drew from my imagination or say anything that was a copy was a copy, because I never let anyone look at my sketchbooks. Ever.

Though, this was 5+ years ago. I stopped drawing once I dropped out of high school completely. I've only drawn one thing and it was because I was messing around with my touchscreen desktop in MSPaint.
I used to trace, then I got into the habit of heavy referencing (copying what I was looking at on screen translated to my own paper). I got used to drawing in different styles and poses this way. I never went beyond putting them in my sketchbook though. Most people who do art want to do something professionally with art but I did it because I needed a hobby. Never had to claim anything I drew from my imagination or say anything that was a copy was a copy, because I never let anyone look at my sketchbooks. Ever.

Though, this was 5+ years ago. I stopped drawing once I dropped out of high school completely. I've only drawn one thing and it was because I was messing around with my touchscreen desktop in MSPaint.
FR+1 - I will host nests for free, just ask/PM!
Make sure to copy/paste my name to ensure I will get your ping!
1 2 3 4 5 6