Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Speedometer not working
So I guess my speedometer just died? Car ppl, could changing from regular to synthetic oil on an old car cause this? Because I did that less than 24 hours ago...
So I guess my speedometer just died? Car ppl, could changing from regular to synthetic oil on an old car cause this? Because I did that less than 24 hours ago...
24m9hm0.png
@orneryOgre

Oil has nothing to do with it. But poking around inside your engine bay might.

Is it stuck on a particular number, or is the needle just staying at "0"?

If it's staying at zero, make sure the speedo cable bundle is still attached to the speedo, itself. It may have gotten knocked loose/broken when you were under the hood. Speedo cables generally have little plastic clips that hold them in, and they can get cracked, worn, or fragile over time.

If it's stuck (or climbing to a certain number and then stopping), you may have a bent needle, or the little gear/wheel that sits against your axle or rim may be broken. Different cars use vastly different setups, here, and I'm only intimately familiar with old VWs in this regard.
@orneryOgre

Oil has nothing to do with it. But poking around inside your engine bay might.

Is it stuck on a particular number, or is the needle just staying at "0"?

If it's staying at zero, make sure the speedo cable bundle is still attached to the speedo, itself. It may have gotten knocked loose/broken when you were under the hood. Speedo cables generally have little plastic clips that hold them in, and they can get cracked, worn, or fragile over time.

If it's stuck (or climbing to a certain number and then stopping), you may have a bent needle, or the little gear/wheel that sits against your axle or rim may be broken. Different cars use vastly different setups, here, and I'm only intimately familiar with old VWs in this regard.
I can't help you, but this thread reminded me of my old junker that had no speedometer. There was a short in the dash and it never worked. So ya, driving was fun.
I can't help you, but this thread reminded me of my old junker that had no speedometer. There was a short in the dash and it never worked. So ya, driving was fun.
@roadworthy it's stuck at zero. I called my uncle, and he says the vehicle has had transmission issues in the past, so he'll be by tomorrow to look at it. Appreciate the assist tho.
@roadworthy it's stuck at zero. I called my uncle, and he says the vehicle has had transmission issues in the past, so he'll be by tomorrow to look at it. Appreciate the assist tho.
24m9hm0.png
@orneryOgre

Best of luck with your car. :D
@orneryOgre

Best of luck with your car. :D
@orneryOgre
Could also be the cold. Had a harsh cold snap last year and it took a bit for my speedometer to work. I was freaking out because it just did it out of the blue and I only noticed it coming home. I mentioned it to my mother and she couldn't really give anything except the cold. Now I'm not so sure that was it but meh I haven't had an issue with it since then so I don't know what it was. Probably Little Red messing with me XD
@orneryOgre
Could also be the cold. Had a harsh cold snap last year and it took a bit for my speedometer to work. I was freaking out because it just did it out of the blue and I only noticed it coming home. I mentioned it to my mother and she couldn't really give anything except the cold. Now I'm not so sure that was it but meh I haven't had an issue with it since then so I don't know what it was. Probably Little Red messing with me XD
y0773uw.png
they/them pronouns please