Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Horse of a Different Color [Full]
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
@avespanthera @carnifex @incalyscent @faridnad

((fever levi i here to slap down some o-k writing hello))

"Wha', ya think we jus' gonna come back with nothin'?"

Coreau feels her cheek twitch and bites back the scathing remark that sits ready on her tongue. She does glance at the door that Glenn and Gomez disappeared out of before kneeling beside the duffel bag.

"Though I don't exactly know the city too well."

"That makes two of us," Coreau murmurs, turning over one of the smaller guns in her hands. The dread in her chest lightens the littlest bit. It was a start, and not altogether a bad one. "We'll need to hide these while we're in the city. Somewhere the raiders won't look. And it can't be here."

She pockets the gun she was holding - a tiny revolver, bound to go unnoticed whilst in the city. She'll ask Caroline later how to check these damn things for ammo.

Coreau cocks her head in the doctor's direction at the offer, considering Caleem and Caroline. Even if she knew Caroline better (and appreciated her immediate wariness around Glenn and Gomez) Caleem would probably be the better bet when it came down to making a good impression.

"You and I can go speak to the mayor." She tells Caleem before looking to Caroline. "Somehow I doubt he'll be pleased to see you if that guard's reaction at the gate was anything to go by."

She gets to her feet again, relieved that the Stimpak was keeping the worst of the pain dulled. "The rest of you should look into those contacts Gomez mentioned." She looks between Crow, Shawn, and Caleem mildly but gives Caroline a vaguely pointed look. It was brief, but she hoped it conveyed the unspoken, Look into it and keep that gun on you while you do.

"Maybe see if anyone can't help us get those bodies out of the city unnoticed."

((fever levi i here to slap down some o-k writing hello))

"Wha', ya think we jus' gonna come back with nothin'?"

Coreau feels her cheek twitch and bites back the scathing remark that sits ready on her tongue. She does glance at the door that Glenn and Gomez disappeared out of before kneeling beside the duffel bag.

"Though I don't exactly know the city too well."

"That makes two of us," Coreau murmurs, turning over one of the smaller guns in her hands. The dread in her chest lightens the littlest bit. It was a start, and not altogether a bad one. "We'll need to hide these while we're in the city. Somewhere the raiders won't look. And it can't be here."

She pockets the gun she was holding - a tiny revolver, bound to go unnoticed whilst in the city. She'll ask Caroline later how to check these damn things for ammo.

Coreau cocks her head in the doctor's direction at the offer, considering Caleem and Caroline. Even if she knew Caroline better (and appreciated her immediate wariness around Glenn and Gomez) Caleem would probably be the better bet when it came down to making a good impression.

"You and I can go speak to the mayor." She tells Caleem before looking to Caroline. "Somehow I doubt he'll be pleased to see you if that guard's reaction at the gate was anything to go by."

She gets to her feet again, relieved that the Stimpak was keeping the worst of the pain dulled. "The rest of you should look into those contacts Gomez mentioned." She looks between Crow, Shawn, and Caleem mildly but gives Caroline a vaguely pointed look. It was brief, but she hoped it conveyed the unspoken, Look into it and keep that gun on you while you do.

"Maybe see if anyone can't help us get those bodies out of the city unnoticed."
@Carnifex @Incalyscent @faridnad @leviathans

Shawn gives Caroline a brief, slightly shaky smile. He turns, stuffing his hands in his jacket pockets.

"I got some names 'n' descriptions far as th' spies go," he says, shuffling his feet a bit as he glances at each of the others in turn. "An' I know a few ways 'round th' city where mos' people don' go." He wants to help. At the same time, he's doing so while fighting the part of his mind that's yelling about how bad an idea this is, and how much trouble he'll be in. A sudden realization causes him to jolt a bit, and he looks to Caleem, clearly distressed.

"I gotta get back t' base at some point or Boss'll get suspicious, an' might come 'round here again."

-

Gomez watches the sunglasses go flying, chuckling softly both at that and Glenn's morbid joke. He puts an arm around Glenn's shoulders.

"If you can, keep it together, okay?" He looks down at the younger man, smiling softly. "We gotta set this plan in motion... we'll have more time to deal with this mess later."

Shawn gives Caroline a brief, slightly shaky smile. He turns, stuffing his hands in his jacket pockets.

"I got some names 'n' descriptions far as th' spies go," he says, shuffling his feet a bit as he glances at each of the others in turn. "An' I know a few ways 'round th' city where mos' people don' go." He wants to help. At the same time, he's doing so while fighting the part of his mind that's yelling about how bad an idea this is, and how much trouble he'll be in. A sudden realization causes him to jolt a bit, and he looks to Caleem, clearly distressed.

"I gotta get back t' base at some point or Boss'll get suspicious, an' might come 'round here again."

-

Gomez watches the sunglasses go flying, chuckling softly both at that and Glenn's morbid joke. He puts an arm around Glenn's shoulders.

"If you can, keep it together, okay?" He looks down at the younger man, smiling softly. "We gotta set this plan in motion... we'll have more time to deal with this mess later."
@avespanthera @faridnad @leviathans @incalyscent

((I am back home yaaaay))

Crow stiffens at the mention of Shawn needing to go back to the base. It wasn't so much she cared for him, even if she had softened to him slightly, as it was the idea that he was going to have to face the raiders alone. The idea made her uneasy--not because he wasn't capable of it, but because of what the raiders had already done.

"You'll just go back to 'em alone? Do you need back up or something?" It was a silly idea as soon as she voiced it, she realized. He had been with the raiders for a while she figured, or at least there was some sort of history with them that gave the impression. And what would any of them had done anyways?

She fiddles with the dog collar around her wrist, already becoming a nervous habit. At first, this whole thing had been kinda fun, wandering the Wastes towards Diamond City had been amusing. But now things seemed vaguely overwhelming and over her head. She flicks her attention away from Shawn back to Coreau at her last sentence. "I mean, Caleem is a doctor, right? Maybe it won't be so weird if there's bodies comin' out of his clinic, I guess?"
@avespanthera @faridnad @leviathans @incalyscent

((I am back home yaaaay))

Crow stiffens at the mention of Shawn needing to go back to the base. It wasn't so much she cared for him, even if she had softened to him slightly, as it was the idea that he was going to have to face the raiders alone. The idea made her uneasy--not because he wasn't capable of it, but because of what the raiders had already done.

"You'll just go back to 'em alone? Do you need back up or something?" It was a silly idea as soon as she voiced it, she realized. He had been with the raiders for a while she figured, or at least there was some sort of history with them that gave the impression. And what would any of them had done anyways?

She fiddles with the dog collar around her wrist, already becoming a nervous habit. At first, this whole thing had been kinda fun, wandering the Wastes towards Diamond City had been amusing. But now things seemed vaguely overwhelming and over her head. She flicks her attention away from Shawn back to Coreau at her last sentence. "I mean, Caleem is a doctor, right? Maybe it won't be so weird if there's bodies comin' out of his clinic, I guess?"
JXVUomh.png
@Carnifex @leviathans @avespanthera @faridnad

Caroline snorts and gets up from her place, moving over to toe the weapons back open with her bad leg. She roots around until she finds the most attractive weapon acquired, a pump action shotgun with minimal damage. She still wrinkles her nose when she picks it up and checks that it's unloaded. The revolver gleams from its place on her hip. She turns to Crow with a raised eyebrow that says I guess it's you and me.

Caleem gives a Shawn a smile that is equal parts encouraging and sad, leaning against the door jam across from the younger boy.

"'Course, it's best if they don't expect anything. You need anything before you go, though? Still got that bread if you want it," he says in a low voice. He turns his attention to Coreau with a sidelong glance before the rest of his face follows.

"Yeah, I'll go with you. And yeah, he wouldn't be too pleased to see her," he says with a jab of his chin. Caroline doesn't look up from where she's gone back to inspecting the gun she's picked up.

"You don't like pump action," he says a little louder, and she tilts her head, eyes narrowing.

"Don't have anything else. Rifle isn't practical," she says shortly. Caleem sighs.

"Crow's right, no one's gonna think twice about me moving bodies out of this house. We just have to have a good cause of death up our sleeves in case anyone asks. And the baseboards come up, if you wanna store the guns underneath there."

Caroline snorts and gets up from her place, moving over to toe the weapons back open with her bad leg. She roots around until she finds the most attractive weapon acquired, a pump action shotgun with minimal damage. She still wrinkles her nose when she picks it up and checks that it's unloaded. The revolver gleams from its place on her hip. She turns to Crow with a raised eyebrow that says I guess it's you and me.

Caleem gives a Shawn a smile that is equal parts encouraging and sad, leaning against the door jam across from the younger boy.

"'Course, it's best if they don't expect anything. You need anything before you go, though? Still got that bread if you want it," he says in a low voice. He turns his attention to Coreau with a sidelong glance before the rest of his face follows.

"Yeah, I'll go with you. And yeah, he wouldn't be too pleased to see her," he says with a jab of his chin. Caroline doesn't look up from where she's gone back to inspecting the gun she's picked up.

"You don't like pump action," he says a little louder, and she tilts her head, eyes narrowing.

"Don't have anything else. Rifle isn't practical," she says shortly. Caleem sighs.

"Crow's right, no one's gonna think twice about me moving bodies out of this house. We just have to have a good cause of death up our sleeves in case anyone asks. And the baseboards come up, if you wanna store the guns underneath there."
endure and survive.
@Carnifex @leviathans @avespanthera @incalyscent

"This mess. Ha. I'm a mess." Glenn gave a sharp inhale as he wiped his face on his forearm, sniffling. He took a deep inhale and blinked, mumbling something under his breath and got up. He cracked his knuckles and stretched his neck before bending down to grab his shades, putting them on. After a couple of coughs, Glenn dusted himself down and looked straight at Gomez, mustering up his usual infuriating grin that only faltered slightly.

He stood defiant in front of nothing in particular, arms crossed and shoulders rigid. His usual relaxed and open stance now had a slight rigid gait with closed signals, his head lower and shifting his stare at the ground. He was still choking back some sobs that sounded like throaty coughs, and if one to observe closely, they can see his hands trembling despite clutching desperately on his forearms.

"This good enough?" He wheezed out from between his teeth before shifting his gaze back up at Gomez, eyes hidden behind the thick tinted lens.
@Carnifex @leviathans @avespanthera @incalyscent

"This mess. Ha. I'm a mess." Glenn gave a sharp inhale as he wiped his face on his forearm, sniffling. He took a deep inhale and blinked, mumbling something under his breath and got up. He cracked his knuckles and stretched his neck before bending down to grab his shades, putting them on. After a couple of coughs, Glenn dusted himself down and looked straight at Gomez, mustering up his usual infuriating grin that only faltered slightly.

He stood defiant in front of nothing in particular, arms crossed and shoulders rigid. His usual relaxed and open stance now had a slight rigid gait with closed signals, his head lower and shifting his stare at the ground. He was still choking back some sobs that sounded like throaty coughs, and if one to observe closely, they can see his hands trembling despite clutching desperately on his forearms.

"This good enough?" He wheezed out from between his teeth before shifting his gaze back up at Gomez, eyes hidden behind the thick tinted lens.

((writer's block UH OH))

She likes the idea of Shawn leaving about as much as Crow does, but for far different reasons. She skews Shawn with a sidelong glance. There's no point saying anything - it's not bound to go over well. And didn't nearly everyone here already prove themselves to trusting?

"Leave the names of the rats with Caroline before you go then." She grunts before turning her back and heading out the door. She won't argue about the guns and bodies. Caleem and Crow are probably right, but she's not going to acknowledge it.

Coreau throws a hand up to shield her eyes from the sun, taking shallow breaths now that her lungs have settled. It takes her a moment to realize where Glenn and Gomez have disappeared to. After shooting a scowl down the alleyway she cocks her head back to call Caleem.

"You coming?"

((writer's block UH OH))

She likes the idea of Shawn leaving about as much as Crow does, but for far different reasons. She skews Shawn with a sidelong glance. There's no point saying anything - it's not bound to go over well. And didn't nearly everyone here already prove themselves to trusting?

"Leave the names of the rats with Caroline before you go then." She grunts before turning her back and heading out the door. She won't argue about the guns and bodies. Caleem and Crow are probably right, but she's not going to acknowledge it.

Coreau throws a hand up to shield her eyes from the sun, taking shallow breaths now that her lungs have settled. It takes her a moment to realize where Glenn and Gomez have disappeared to. After shooting a scowl down the alleyway she cocks her head back to call Caleem.

"You coming?"

Shawn almost snaps at Crow about how stupid her suggestion is, but when he actually looks at her he stops. Maybe it's her expression, or how she looks like as vulnerable as he feels... but he realizes he can't really fault her for not knowing what it's like, as much as he wants to be able to get angry at someone--anyone, really--without consequence. He shakes his head at Caleem's question.

"I'm okay..." He's not, but he doesn't want to take any risks now. He shuffles over to Caroline, sizing up her gun a moment before reaching into his pocket and handing her the same pencil she used to write his note to Gomez. "I don't have any paper..."

-

Gomez lifts himself to his feet, brushing his pants off, not standing fully so he can be closer to eye-level with Glenn as he puts his hands on the younger man's shoulders.

"Yeah, you can do this," he says, offering a reassuring smile. "We just need to stop by the doc's place quickly to let 'em know we're gonna be askin' around for people we know willin' to help. This'll keep you distracted, right? Won't have to think 'bout it 'till that job's done." He motions for Glenn to follow him as he steps out of the alley, pausing to wave to Coreau with a friendly smile. He only just catches the scowl, but his demeanor never falters.

Shawn almost snaps at Crow about how stupid her suggestion is, but when he actually looks at her he stops. Maybe it's her expression, or how she looks like as vulnerable as he feels... but he realizes he can't really fault her for not knowing what it's like, as much as he wants to be able to get angry at someone--anyone, really--without consequence. He shakes his head at Caleem's question.

"I'm okay..." He's not, but he doesn't want to take any risks now. He shuffles over to Caroline, sizing up her gun a moment before reaching into his pocket and handing her the same pencil she used to write his note to Gomez. "I don't have any paper..."

-

Gomez lifts himself to his feet, brushing his pants off, not standing fully so he can be closer to eye-level with Glenn as he puts his hands on the younger man's shoulders.

"Yeah, you can do this," he says, offering a reassuring smile. "We just need to stop by the doc's place quickly to let 'em know we're gonna be askin' around for people we know willin' to help. This'll keep you distracted, right? Won't have to think 'bout it 'till that job's done." He motions for Glenn to follow him as he steps out of the alley, pausing to wave to Coreau with a friendly smile. He only just catches the scowl, but his demeanor never falters.
@avespanthera @incalyscent @faridnad @leviathans

Crow braces herself for Shawn's answer, catching his look, before he falls quiet and turns to Caroline. She turns herself to root around for paper instead, poking around Caleem's stuff. She was pleased that she recognized at least most of the medicinal tools lying around, quietly mouthing the names of them to herself.

She pauses briefly, adding, "Hey, you don't mind if I use whatever paper is lying around, right? And I bet no one will ask twice if you say they picked a fight with raiders." That was true, too. And if the people were anything like the citizens of Goodneighbor, they wouldn't ask questions, just mutter angry threats about how the raider problem needed to be dealt with.
@avespanthera @incalyscent @faridnad @leviathans

Crow braces herself for Shawn's answer, catching his look, before he falls quiet and turns to Caroline. She turns herself to root around for paper instead, poking around Caleem's stuff. She was pleased that she recognized at least most of the medicinal tools lying around, quietly mouthing the names of them to herself.

She pauses briefly, adding, "Hey, you don't mind if I use whatever paper is lying around, right? And I bet no one will ask twice if you say they picked a fight with raiders." That was true, too. And if the people were anything like the citizens of Goodneighbor, they wouldn't ask questions, just mutter angry threats about how the raider problem needed to be dealt with.
JXVUomh.png

"You coming?"

"Yeah! One sec," Caleem calls back. He shuffles around where Crow is looking for paper, plucking a mostly blank sheet with a cheeky grin. Most of the pieces of paper are decorated with pictures of various prescriptions, and tiny illustrations of various injuries.

"Right you are," he says in response to her, "they're not the first I've treated around here."

He makes another stop by the bag of weapons, stooping to scoop the still uneaten bread from its belly. He takes another few steps and offers the paper to Caroline and the bread to Shawn.

Caroline points the barrel of the gun clearly away from Shawn even though it's still new and unloaded. She plucks the nub of a pencil from his fingers with concealed gentleness, taking the paper from Caleem. She presses the tip of the pencil to the paper and arches an eyebrow to the boy expectantly.

"Caroline," Caleem says, and her attention is on him but his voice is only mock serious. Her eyebrow creeps higher as a response.

"If she kills me," he says with a jerk of his chin out the door, and Caroline is rolling her eyes before he's even done, "don't let the guards take my dog. Love you."

He give her a peck on the cheek before he's out the door. Caroline scoffs and gives another roll of her eyes before she looks back to Shawn. She hasn't moved her hands, still hovering.

-

Caleem trots up behind Coreau, falling into step with her as she exits. He stuffs his hands in his pockets, thinks about a cigarette, and with a sidelong glance thinks against it. He remembered her breathing hard.

He begins walking in the direction of the Mayor's office, shooting Coreau a friendly grin

"You gotta strategy for this? Or are just wingin' it?"

"You coming?"

"Yeah! One sec," Caleem calls back. He shuffles around where Crow is looking for paper, plucking a mostly blank sheet with a cheeky grin. Most of the pieces of paper are decorated with pictures of various prescriptions, and tiny illustrations of various injuries.

"Right you are," he says in response to her, "they're not the first I've treated around here."

He makes another stop by the bag of weapons, stooping to scoop the still uneaten bread from its belly. He takes another few steps and offers the paper to Caroline and the bread to Shawn.

Caroline points the barrel of the gun clearly away from Shawn even though it's still new and unloaded. She plucks the nub of a pencil from his fingers with concealed gentleness, taking the paper from Caleem. She presses the tip of the pencil to the paper and arches an eyebrow to the boy expectantly.

"Caroline," Caleem says, and her attention is on him but his voice is only mock serious. Her eyebrow creeps higher as a response.

"If she kills me," he says with a jerk of his chin out the door, and Caroline is rolling her eyes before he's even done, "don't let the guards take my dog. Love you."

He give her a peck on the cheek before he's out the door. Caroline scoffs and gives another roll of her eyes before she looks back to Shawn. She hasn't moved her hands, still hovering.

-

Caleem trots up behind Coreau, falling into step with her as she exits. He stuffs his hands in his pockets, thinks about a cigarette, and with a sidelong glance thinks against it. He remembered her breathing hard.

He begins walking in the direction of the Mayor's office, shooting Coreau a friendly grin

endure and survive.
((Thanks for the headsup my dudes I haven't seen the skype in the last week))

She lets him lead but keeps pace, trying to commit places they pass to memory. The city feels like a maze to her. It's jarring, trying to compare Fenway Park as she knew it to this. Everything about this world is just a poor imitation of the old one.

Coreau steers her thoughts in a safer direction, still mindful of how red her eyes are.

She looks at him, unsmiling, trying to fathom why he's being so friendly and immediately doubting its sincerity. Her eyes flit back to the city before them.

"Bit of both," She says honestly. "I'll need to meet him first. As far as he needs to know, I'm from a Vault, you saved my life from a radiation storm, and I was just so impressed by this jewel of a city that I begged you to take me to meet the mayor of it."

She doesn't tell Caleem that the point of all this isn't just to suss out the mayor. The long term goal ideally would be to get him under her thumb. She figures Caleem will catch on quickly enough anyway when they meet him, and hope for their sake the man is as spineless as Caroline suggested.
((Thanks for the headsup my dudes I haven't seen the skype in the last week))

She lets him lead but keeps pace, trying to commit places they pass to memory. The city feels like a maze to her. It's jarring, trying to compare Fenway Park as she knew it to this. Everything about this world is just a poor imitation of the old one.

Coreau steers her thoughts in a safer direction, still mindful of how red her eyes are.

She looks at him, unsmiling, trying to fathom why he's being so friendly and immediately doubting its sincerity. Her eyes flit back to the city before them.

"Bit of both," She says honestly. "I'll need to meet him first. As far as he needs to know, I'm from a Vault, you saved my life from a radiation storm, and I was just so impressed by this jewel of a city that I begged you to take me to meet the mayor of it."

She doesn't tell Caleem that the point of all this isn't just to suss out the mayor. The long term goal ideally would be to get him under her thumb. She figures Caleem will catch on quickly enough anyway when they meet him, and hope for their sake the man is as spineless as Caroline suggested.
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24