Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | gender change scrolls
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@Jemadar

because you can FIX the otehr things that make it so much WORSE. I dont care if the dragon is sterile afterwards, if thats what is needed then thats it. But it is so disappointing to hatch the literal perfect dragon and have it be the wrong gender, so you have to breed a hundred more times to get the same result and still the wrong gender.

having dragons easier to obtain cuts back on the flood. Make them only available certain times of the year, i dont care, what ever needs to be added to suit the people scared that its gonna mess things up.

However if players left the site it would ALSO cut down on dragons in the market because there would be less breeding.

people leaving isnt an argument against the scroll its an argument for the scroll.

And as I stated before make it only usable on hatchlings. No coding needed.
@Jemadar

because you can FIX the otehr things that make it so much WORSE. I dont care if the dragon is sterile afterwards, if thats what is needed then thats it. But it is so disappointing to hatch the literal perfect dragon and have it be the wrong gender, so you have to breed a hundred more times to get the same result and still the wrong gender.

having dragons easier to obtain cuts back on the flood. Make them only available certain times of the year, i dont care, what ever needs to be added to suit the people scared that its gonna mess things up.

However if players left the site it would ALSO cut down on dragons in the market because there would be less breeding.

people leaving isnt an argument against the scroll its an argument for the scroll.

And as I stated before make it only usable on hatchlings. No coding needed.
tumblr_nuhk3aSnPU1tel0d6o1_400.png
No support; not because it will flood an already bad market (which is still bad, by the way), or because it will make the main goal of the game less challenging (a good way to lose interested players), but mostly for roleplaying and lore reasons. For lore, why would the dragons in the game ever want to change their genders? Gender is something you're born with; aside from the existence of electricity from the Lightning Flight in the game, Flight Rising seems to be centered on a more medieval theme. And guess what? People couldn't-nor did they ever want to-change their genders. It was a solid, undeniable fact of life that you were born a certain way. Why would the dragons be any different, even in the presence of magic? How could they benefit from it? Would it be worth the effort?

For roleplaying, let's say I write a bio for my dragon that uses its parents in its bio, and then I put that dragon into a roleplay, and even roleplay the dragon's parents within it. But whoopsies! I bought the dragon from the Auction House and the owner decided to change one of the parent's gender to create another, more lucrative breeding pair. Now what? Do I completely scrap and trash all of the work I put into my dragon? Or do I pretend that the dragons are still MalexFemale instead of MalexMale or FemalexFemale due to "X" dragon receiving a gender change? Plus, how would it affect how lineages are lain out? Would it make avoiding inbreeding incredibly more complicated in the game?

That brings me to another objectionable idea: people have semi-control over the parents of other people's dragons, should they ever sell or trade a dragon of that breeding pair. Say I buy a dragon from someone who is a fierce transgender who hates heterosexuals, and he discovers-somehow, the method isn't important-that I'm heterosexual. Just to spite me or hurt me, despite me doing nothing more than buying his dragon, he goes and gender-switches all of the dragons that are parents to the ones I bought. When I realize all of my lore is ruined, or my roleplaying interfered, I will casually PM the person and ask if they could change the parents back... Aaaaaand then you end up with a flame-war. I know it seems like a really odd, one-of-a-kind scenario, but these things happen a lot, especially on sites where things that are supposed to be solid aspects of the game-such as the privacy of one's own lair/scroll/list/whatever-can be manipulated by other players.

So those are my additional reasons against this, coupled with the arguments of others concerning the flooded dragon market, the challenge and purpose of the game being changed, the mechanics of coding this, and the fact that this idea has already been shot down many times before. Maybe in the far future this will become more appealing, but right now it just doesn't seem worth it.
No support; not because it will flood an already bad market (which is still bad, by the way), or because it will make the main goal of the game less challenging (a good way to lose interested players), but mostly for roleplaying and lore reasons. For lore, why would the dragons in the game ever want to change their genders? Gender is something you're born with; aside from the existence of electricity from the Lightning Flight in the game, Flight Rising seems to be centered on a more medieval theme. And guess what? People couldn't-nor did they ever want to-change their genders. It was a solid, undeniable fact of life that you were born a certain way. Why would the dragons be any different, even in the presence of magic? How could they benefit from it? Would it be worth the effort?

For roleplaying, let's say I write a bio for my dragon that uses its parents in its bio, and then I put that dragon into a roleplay, and even roleplay the dragon's parents within it. But whoopsies! I bought the dragon from the Auction House and the owner decided to change one of the parent's gender to create another, more lucrative breeding pair. Now what? Do I completely scrap and trash all of the work I put into my dragon? Or do I pretend that the dragons are still MalexFemale instead of MalexMale or FemalexFemale due to "X" dragon receiving a gender change? Plus, how would it affect how lineages are lain out? Would it make avoiding inbreeding incredibly more complicated in the game?

That brings me to another objectionable idea: people have semi-control over the parents of other people's dragons, should they ever sell or trade a dragon of that breeding pair. Say I buy a dragon from someone who is a fierce transgender who hates heterosexuals, and he discovers-somehow, the method isn't important-that I'm heterosexual. Just to spite me or hurt me, despite me doing nothing more than buying his dragon, he goes and gender-switches all of the dragons that are parents to the ones I bought. When I realize all of my lore is ruined, or my roleplaying interfered, I will casually PM the person and ask if they could change the parents back... Aaaaaand then you end up with a flame-war. I know it seems like a really odd, one-of-a-kind scenario, but these things happen a lot, especially on sites where things that are supposed to be solid aspects of the game-such as the privacy of one's own lair/scroll/list/whatever-can be manipulated by other players.

So those are my additional reasons against this, coupled with the arguments of others concerning the flooded dragon market, the challenge and purpose of the game being changed, the mechanics of coding this, and the fact that this idea has already been shot down many times before. Maybe in the far future this will become more appealing, but right now it just doesn't seem worth it.
Please ping me if you respond to one of my posts. I'm very forgetful so I may not see the response otherwise.
Art & Writing Shop (on hiatus) | Skin Shop (on hiatus)
A wild science-fiction book sample has appeared!
@DragonxBorn

Uhh, people leaving the site isn't an argument for the scroll. If people left the site because they got bored with it, the site wouldn't have any revenue beyond what little those people brought it, it also wouldn't have the revenue of the people THOSE people told about the site and who wanted to come to the site. Also, because people left, there would be fewer people to buy those dragons so still less of a market for it...

You also don't know if coding would be needed (hint, it would be) if the scroll was only available to be used on hatchlings. As Isaid, I don't know how the sex information is stored. It might be something that is hard coded into the site everywhere the dragon shows up (doubt it) or it might be a simple switch. I certainly don't know which one it is...
@DragonxBorn

Uhh, people leaving the site isn't an argument for the scroll. If people left the site because they got bored with it, the site wouldn't have any revenue beyond what little those people brought it, it also wouldn't have the revenue of the people THOSE people told about the site and who wanted to come to the site. Also, because people left, there would be fewer people to buy those dragons so still less of a market for it...

You also don't know if coding would be needed (hint, it would be) if the scroll was only available to be used on hatchlings. As Isaid, I don't know how the sex information is stored. It might be something that is hard coded into the site everywhere the dragon shows up (doubt it) or it might be a simple switch. I certainly don't know which one it is...

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@skwerl56767

Does no one see that "it can only be applied to a hatchling" thing i mentioned like 3 other times? Or is that like conveniently invisible each time bc it shuts down the argument?

Also Transgender is not a "new" concept. there are plenty of documented cases going WAY back for people claiming to be one gender even having been born the other. In fact it was considered a show of madness for a man to want to be a woman, but completely understandable for a woman to want to be a man. Which actually makes options for really interesting lore on its own.

Youre talking to a lore lair with delicate lore. If youre creative enough you can find ways around it.

"Oh no despite that its only supposed to be used on hatchlings some how someone used it on an adult and changed my dragons dad into a female!!!!"

Well now you have the opportunity to write a fascinating story about how another dragon cast a spell on him as a curse. It's honestly really easy to get around.
@skwerl56767

Does no one see that "it can only be applied to a hatchling" thing i mentioned like 3 other times? Or is that like conveniently invisible each time bc it shuts down the argument?

Also Transgender is not a "new" concept. there are plenty of documented cases going WAY back for people claiming to be one gender even having been born the other. In fact it was considered a show of madness for a man to want to be a woman, but completely understandable for a woman to want to be a man. Which actually makes options for really interesting lore on its own.

Youre talking to a lore lair with delicate lore. If youre creative enough you can find ways around it.

"Oh no despite that its only supposed to be used on hatchlings some how someone used it on an adult and changed my dragons dad into a female!!!!"

Well now you have the opportunity to write a fascinating story about how another dragon cast a spell on him as a curse. It's honestly really easy to get around.
@Jemadar

Less players means less people breeding. Ergo less dragons. The market would even out within 2-3 dom runs.

Especially since the maximum time a dragon can be on the market at a time is 7 days so it would get off the market if the person left, and wouldnt get back on.

The site also gets revenue from adds. People doing familiars bring a crap ton in because the page refreshes each time. There are already a bunch of dead accounts, people are going to leave the site out of bordom anyway since its just a breeding game and if they cant get the dragons they want and dont have the time to continuously try they'll leave anyway.
@Jemadar

Less players means less people breeding. Ergo less dragons. The market would even out within 2-3 dom runs.

Especially since the maximum time a dragon can be on the market at a time is 7 days so it would get off the market if the person left, and wouldnt get back on.

The site also gets revenue from adds. People doing familiars bring a crap ton in because the page refreshes each time. There are already a bunch of dead accounts, people are going to leave the site out of bordom anyway since its just a breeding game and if they cant get the dragons they want and dont have the time to continuously try they'll leave anyway.
@CrimsonAero

"we have no plans for an item like this"

Is not "we will never have an item like this"

it just means that they dont plan on it. Doesnt mean plans don't change.
@CrimsonAero

"we have no plans for an item like this"

Is not "we will never have an item like this"

it just means that they dont plan on it. Doesnt mean plans don't change.
Support. There's no good reason why you wouldn't have a gender change scroll. It'd be great for lore purposes and I have no idea why it would change the market at all. You can change everything else about a dragon for the right price, even if it was really expensive, it would let people save up for the change they want just like any other change. It wouldn't necessarily be used lightly. Make it a gem thing so people would put money into the game, like for genes like butterfly and glimmer. Make it like 5000 gems so it wouldn't be used lightly, but it could be saved up for over time by a dedicated user like you do for geneing gen one's and stuff like that. Or add revenue to the overall site for impatient users. [quote]"but mostly for roleplaying and lore reasons. For lore, why would the dragons in the game ever want to change their genders? Gender is something you're born with; aside from the existence of electricity from the Lightning Flight in the game, Flight Rising seems to be centered on a more medieval theme. And guess what? People couldn't-nor did they ever want to-change their genders. It was a solid, undeniable fact of life that you were born a certain way." [/quote] @skwerl56767 Do you really think that being transgender is a new trend...??????? That's like hella transphobic .-. gender isn't something you are born with, it's a social construct. Sex is something you're born with and that's definitely something that trans people have always wanted to change since the beginning. It's not a new convention of the 21st century. And idk why you think there wouldn't be trans dragons.
Support. There's no good reason why you wouldn't have a gender change scroll. It'd be great for lore purposes and I have no idea why it would change the market at all. You can change everything else about a dragon for the right price, even if it was really expensive, it would let people save up for the change they want just like any other change. It wouldn't necessarily be used lightly. Make it a gem thing so people would put money into the game, like for genes like butterfly and glimmer. Make it like 5000 gems so it wouldn't be used lightly, but it could be saved up for over time by a dedicated user like you do for geneing gen one's and stuff like that. Or add revenue to the overall site for impatient users.
Quote:
"but mostly for roleplaying and lore reasons. For lore, why would the dragons in the game ever want to change their genders? Gender is something you're born with; aside from the existence of electricity from the Lightning Flight in the game, Flight Rising seems to be centered on a more medieval theme. And guess what? People couldn't-nor did they ever want to-change their genders. It was a solid, undeniable fact of life that you were born a certain way."

@skwerl56767

Do you really think that being transgender is a new trend...??????? That's like hella transphobic .-. gender isn't something you are born with, it's a social construct. Sex is something you're born with and that's definitely something that trans people have always wanted to change since the beginning. It's not a new convention of the 21st century. And idk why you think there wouldn't be trans dragons.
All prices negotiable! ~~~~ Gem conversion rate 1:600
tumblr_nuguudgobj1tel0d6o1_r1_540.jpg
" And idk why you think there wouldn't be trans dragons."

Or why they wouldnt deserve the chance to change their sex just like any other person who saves up for an operation.

In fact. there is your lore. the dragon is trans, saved its whole life to be able to afford its change and DESERVES it.

Not everyone plays this game to breed some pople are hard core lorists and dont have the capabilities to go after their dream dragon through breeding or constant haggling.
" And idk why you think there wouldn't be trans dragons."

Or why they wouldnt deserve the chance to change their sex just like any other person who saves up for an operation.

In fact. there is your lore. the dragon is trans, saved its whole life to be able to afford its change and DESERVES it.

Not everyone plays this game to breed some pople are hard core lorists and dont have the capabilities to go after their dream dragon through breeding or constant haggling.
Just because there are records of people saying "I want to be a man" or "I want to be woman" exist doesn't mean that they would go through with the process. It just means they've said that. I've said in the past "I want to be an owl" and "I want to be a cat", and even "I want to be alien!", but if I was given the option now I would be indifferent and care less what species I am. I'm going to die anyway, who cares? Might as well live as a human! And the lore/roleplaying argument was an additional objection to implementing this, not necessarily what I'm heavily leaning on. The point is, it's a factor; and yes, people will purposefully hunt down others just to make their lives miserable. Maybe you're fine with editing tons of work put into writing about your dragons, but I've lost almost entire books before, tons and tons of pages of text down the drain. Granted, it was for other reasons than "some guy hated me and wanted to give me more work to do", but I see the possibility which is why I would rather avoid it. Why risk it?
To Fireborn: Before I give you other answers I first want you to convince me that sex-change (or gender-change, whatever you want to call it; I've seen the two words "sex" and "gender" used interchangeably so much that I don't even know their definitions anymore...) is something that is absolutely, 100% honestly needed in society (and before you ask, this isn't me being "transphobic", this is me not understanding why it's necessary). As I recall, there weren't "sexual revolutions" in the past except the recent past, when people decided that it would be a good idea to focus on it. Concerning the medieval times, I'm pretty sure people would be more concerned about surviving illness, preventing invasion, and obtaining food and wealth more than they did about their gender/sex. If FR is set in medieval times, I would then believe that dragons are in a similar situation: their concerns are based around survival, relationships, and other more understandable matters.
Just because there are records of people saying "I want to be a man" or "I want to be woman" exist doesn't mean that they would go through with the process. It just means they've said that. I've said in the past "I want to be an owl" and "I want to be a cat", and even "I want to be alien!", but if I was given the option now I would be indifferent and care less what species I am. I'm going to die anyway, who cares? Might as well live as a human! And the lore/roleplaying argument was an additional objection to implementing this, not necessarily what I'm heavily leaning on. The point is, it's a factor; and yes, people will purposefully hunt down others just to make their lives miserable. Maybe you're fine with editing tons of work put into writing about your dragons, but I've lost almost entire books before, tons and tons of pages of text down the drain. Granted, it was for other reasons than "some guy hated me and wanted to give me more work to do", but I see the possibility which is why I would rather avoid it. Why risk it?
To Fireborn: Before I give you other answers I first want you to convince me that sex-change (or gender-change, whatever you want to call it; I've seen the two words "sex" and "gender" used interchangeably so much that I don't even know their definitions anymore...) is something that is absolutely, 100% honestly needed in society (and before you ask, this isn't me being "transphobic", this is me not understanding why it's necessary). As I recall, there weren't "sexual revolutions" in the past except the recent past, when people decided that it would be a good idea to focus on it. Concerning the medieval times, I'm pretty sure people would be more concerned about surviving illness, preventing invasion, and obtaining food and wealth more than they did about their gender/sex. If FR is set in medieval times, I would then believe that dragons are in a similar situation: their concerns are based around survival, relationships, and other more understandable matters.
Please ping me if you respond to one of my posts. I'm very forgetful so I may not see the response otherwise.
Art & Writing Shop (on hiatus) | Skin Shop (on hiatus)
A wild science-fiction book sample has appeared!
@skwerl56767 [quote]I first want you to convince me that sex-change (or gender-change, whatever you want to call it; I've seen the two words "sex" and "gender" used interchangeably so much that I don't even know their definitions anymore...) is something that is absolutely, 100% honestly needed in society (and before you ask, this isn't me being "transphobic", this is me not understanding why it's necessary).[/quote] Its transphobic whether you mean it to be or not. Its necessary because it is. Some people kill themselves over this kind of thing. Just because youre ok with what you are and who you are doesnt mean that other people are. Some people literally wake up and think about killing themselves every day because of people who dont think their struggle is worth gender/sex change surgeries. Just because people in the FAR past didnt try to change themselves through surgeries that wernt fathomable or available doesnt mean that now that they are they arent necessary. They better the lives of people who struggle everyday with something that causes them anguish. If there are surgeries to fix otehr things of the like, like a kid born with a cleft lip (mind you the kid was born that way why change that its just how they were born~) why shouldnt someone be able to get a surgery to fix something about themselves that they view as a deformity or something thats "wrong" about them? People in the far past couldnt get a nose job either but they can now and if thats so humdrum standard in society why isnt sex change?
@skwerl56767
Quote:
I first want you to convince me that sex-change (or gender-change, whatever you want to call it; I've seen the two words "sex" and "gender" used interchangeably so much that I don't even know their definitions anymore...) is something that is absolutely, 100% honestly needed in society (and before you ask, this isn't me being "transphobic", this is me not understanding why it's necessary).

Its transphobic whether you mean it to be or not.

Its necessary because it is. Some people kill themselves over this kind of thing. Just because youre ok with what you are and who you are doesnt mean that other people are. Some people literally wake up and think about killing themselves every day because of people who dont think their struggle is worth gender/sex change surgeries.

Just because people in the FAR past didnt try to change themselves through surgeries that wernt fathomable or available doesnt mean that now that they are they arent necessary.

They better the lives of people who struggle everyday with something that causes them anguish. If there are surgeries to fix otehr things of the like, like a kid born with a cleft lip (mind you the kid was born that way why change that its just how they were born~) why shouldnt someone be able to get a surgery to fix something about themselves that they view as a deformity or something thats "wrong" about them?

People in the far past couldnt get a nose job either but they can now and if thats so humdrum standard in society why isnt sex change?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7