Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | LotR/The Hobbit/Tolkien Fans Come Hither
1 2 ... 157 158 159 160 161 ... 187 188
@ForestGuardian

Forgive me for causing you distress I'm actually liking the idea y'know because I'm just thinking about Legolas totally going haywire on the Witch King and-yeah you see what happened when my brain had too much freetime XD

I think that the King of the Dead could most certainly kill the leader of the Nazgul. If Eowyn (who is living) could kill him, then why couldn't someone who is fully dead not be able to kill him?
@ForestGuardian

Forgive me for causing you distress I'm actually liking the idea y'know because I'm just thinking about Legolas totally going haywire on the Witch King and-yeah you see what happened when my brain had too much freetime XD

I think that the King of the Dead could most certainly kill the leader of the Nazgul. If Eowyn (who is living) could kill him, then why couldn't someone who is fully dead not be able to kill him?
@HydroDragon The essay was okay for quality but really out of my ability level at the time. :P I was in second year and a medieval studies and archaeology student, not an english student. :P

From what I can remember about the course is that it involved the hobbit, silmarillion, and three lord of the rings books in one semester. We learned the background of Tolkien, the formation of the series, and how he was very adamant that it was not an anology. Each week a section was chosen, discussed, and themes highlighted. The breadth of themes are surprisingly huge; environment, monarchy/rightful rule, orcs vs elves (how does their creations differ), theology, the difference between trees, moving trees, and Ents, etc. It was hard because of the amount of information, how the movies differ from the books, how the silmarillion plays into the lotr and hobbit etc. I am only able to mention a few themes, but there were a lot more. There is also a lack of research/sources specifically on lord of the rings when you are trying to write on your own topic.

A link to the syllabus :P You will have to copy it into the address bar. -_-
http://legacy.wlu.ca/documents/60056/EN238-WELDON_(Winter_2015).pdf
@HydroDragon The essay was okay for quality but really out of my ability level at the time. :P I was in second year and a medieval studies and archaeology student, not an english student. :P

From what I can remember about the course is that it involved the hobbit, silmarillion, and three lord of the rings books in one semester. We learned the background of Tolkien, the formation of the series, and how he was very adamant that it was not an anology. Each week a section was chosen, discussed, and themes highlighted. The breadth of themes are surprisingly huge; environment, monarchy/rightful rule, orcs vs elves (how does their creations differ), theology, the difference between trees, moving trees, and Ents, etc. It was hard because of the amount of information, how the movies differ from the books, how the silmarillion plays into the lotr and hobbit etc. I am only able to mention a few themes, but there were a lot more. There is also a lack of research/sources specifically on lord of the rings when you are trying to write on your own topic.

A link to the syllabus :P You will have to copy it into the address bar. -_-
http://legacy.wlu.ca/documents/60056/EN238-WELDON_(Winter_2015).pdf
@Tolkientrash29
Oh my god I feel so silly. I JUST realized you're that one lady on tumblr I've talked to a couple times holy **** hi
@Tolkientrash29
Oh my god I feel so silly. I JUST realized you're that one lady on tumblr I've talked to a couple times holy **** hi
K6TNbNL.pnggnd7XS8.pngKBrR3YL.pngipiaOGP.pngLrK9u2q.png
@HydroDragon

Get well soon D: drink lots of tea with honey!!

I think if Eowyn had not managed to do it, no one on that battlefield would have been able to do it because "No man can kill me," right? Eowyn and Merry were the only non-Menfolk on the battlefield, so I don't think anyone else there could've killed him.

On the other hand, as far as the movie is concerned (I haven't read ROTK so i don't know) she stabs him in the face, which is pretty much fatal to anything regardless of what does the stabbing. But on the other OTHER hand, he's technically not much more than a ghost so how can stabbing kill him in the first place?

(I also haven't been in here in more than a month. Holidays and illness ate much of my time. )
@HydroDragon

Get well soon D: drink lots of tea with honey!!

I think if Eowyn had not managed to do it, no one on that battlefield would have been able to do it because "No man can kill me," right? Eowyn and Merry were the only non-Menfolk on the battlefield, so I don't think anyone else there could've killed him.

On the other hand, as far as the movie is concerned (I haven't read ROTK so i don't know) she stabs him in the face, which is pretty much fatal to anything regardless of what does the stabbing. But on the other OTHER hand, he's technically not much more than a ghost so how can stabbing kill him in the first place?

(I also haven't been in here in more than a month. Holidays and illness ate much of my time. )
tumblr_inline_nwu3oenklP1t7d5o3_500.gif
@Thorbjorn

Well... I don't think elves are men, right? Therefore, couldn't an elf of killed the Witch King and successfully fulfill the prophecy? Oh, and I've been drinking plenty of tea, both plain and with lemon and honey

@Satahrl

That sounds cool but difficult. ;D I'll be sure to take a look at the syllabus!
@Thorbjorn

Well... I don't think elves are men, right? Therefore, couldn't an elf of killed the Witch King and successfully fulfill the prophecy? Oh, and I've been drinking plenty of tea, both plain and with lemon and honey

@Satahrl

That sounds cool but difficult. ;D I'll be sure to take a look at the syllabus!
@Hydrodragon

That's true that Legolas was there, I'd forgotten. Well maybe he could do it if he shot the Witch King in the face.

I wonder if it's the wound itself or the fact that Eowyn was not a Man that let her do it? I mean if she had stabbed him nonlethally would he have died because she was a Woman?
@Hydrodragon

That's true that Legolas was there, I'd forgotten. Well maybe he could do it if he shot the Witch King in the face.

I wonder if it's the wound itself or the fact that Eowyn was not a Man that let her do it? I mean if she had stabbed him nonlethally would he have died because she was a Woman?
tumblr_inline_nwu3oenklP1t7d5o3_500.gif
Wow, I started typing up a huge response with a full scale battle analysis and then realized there was a whole other page of responses. I should probably address those first and then see if I actually need to do my huge thing.

- ps (does anyone know how to tag the whole forum so we can all recieve the alerts on time. I often find writing a response to something and then discovering the conversation has entirely moved on and had to shorten my old response to like a sentance long and then switch topics. Or maybe we could make a tagging list to just copy paste after responses.) Also, we could just maybe find a better chat platform on a different site and switch to it, and then add additional people who discover the fr thread.

pps: Can anybody link me to a place where I can get those banners you have under your text?

Wow, I started typing up a huge response with a full scale battle analysis and then realized there was a whole other page of responses. I should probably address those first and then see if I actually need to do my huge thing.

- ps (does anyone know how to tag the whole forum so we can all recieve the alerts on time. I often find writing a response to something and then discovering the conversation has entirely moved on and had to shorten my old response to like a sentance long and then switch topics. Or maybe we could make a tagging list to just copy paste after responses.) Also, we could just maybe find a better chat platform on a different site and switch to it, and then add additional people who discover the fr thread.

pps: Can anybody link me to a place where I can get those banners you have under your text?

*hauls thread up from page 22*

OKAY SO...

I just saw the Hobbit trilogy (again :p ) recently...

And I was unaware of there being an extended version already.

No seriously, just when you thought they couldn't make the battles get any longer....

That said I did love Billy Connolly's Dain and he gets even more screentime which is just a delight.

Also there's more Dol Guldur stuff and one of the Orcs tries to cut Narya from Gandalf's finger so them acknowledging on-screen instead of being a books-only thing that was kinda awesome.

Then Galadriel shows up and uses Nenya to completely obliterate said orc.

Also there was more Radagast. :)

(PS: @HydroDragon , mind throwing me onto the pinglist?)
*hauls thread up from page 22*

OKAY SO...

I just saw the Hobbit trilogy (again :p ) recently...

And I was unaware of there being an extended version already.

No seriously, just when you thought they couldn't make the battles get any longer....

That said I did love Billy Connolly's Dain and he gets even more screentime which is just a delight.

Also there's more Dol Guldur stuff and one of the Orcs tries to cut Narya from Gandalf's finger so them acknowledging on-screen instead of being a books-only thing that was kinda awesome.

Then Galadriel shows up and uses Nenya to completely obliterate said orc.

Also there was more Radagast. :)

(PS: @HydroDragon , mind throwing me onto the pinglist?)
frsiggy1.pngfrsiggy2.pngfrsiggy3.png
@Mandarakita: Billy Connolly as Dain was amazing! Dain a very underrated character, he's awesome.

I haven't seen the extended version of BOTFA yet, I'm kind of afraid to, but I heard it is rated R...

... I also heard that Alfrid dies, but I don't know if that's true. Can't say I'd be disappointed, though.
@Mandarakita: Billy Connolly as Dain was amazing! Dain a very underrated character, he's awesome.

I haven't seen the extended version of BOTFA yet, I'm kind of afraid to, but I heard it is rated R...

... I also heard that Alfrid dies, but I don't know if that's true. Can't say I'd be disappointed, though.
33vzuwj.jpg________ 2nh2l4z.png
I am sorry to butt into the discussion, but I need some help on settling a little dispute between friends. Only the great knowledge of true LotR nerds can save us in this epic battle of arguments.

See, both sides of the argument claims that Middle Earth is actually set in pre-historic western Europe, which the Internet and Tolkien quotes seem to confirm. But we're getting very divided on whether it is based on the prehistoric Doggerland landmass, or if it was a separate continent located somewhere what is now the Atlantic ocean. There are arguments for both, but we can't seem to find decisive evidence to settle the argument. Does anyone of you know if Tolkien ever confirmed anything?
I am sorry to butt into the discussion, but I need some help on settling a little dispute between friends. Only the great knowledge of true LotR nerds can save us in this epic battle of arguments.

See, both sides of the argument claims that Middle Earth is actually set in pre-historic western Europe, which the Internet and Tolkien quotes seem to confirm. But we're getting very divided on whether it is based on the prehistoric Doggerland landmass, or if it was a separate continent located somewhere what is now the Atlantic ocean. There are arguments for both, but we can't seem to find decisive evidence to settle the argument. Does anyone of you know if Tolkien ever confirmed anything?
1 2 ... 157 158 159 160 161 ... 187 188