Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Stained: A Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 116 117
[quote name="@Marmite" date=2016-01-31 01:39:52] Nobody was being rude. [/quote] Actually saying "It's so lazy-made!" over and over again (not necessarily you) seems somewhat rude to me. Because one doesn't know whether the creator did it lazy? :-? "Doesn't seem well done to me" is something else. But assuming the creator actually didn't care about the result... [s]And saying "die"/"go kill yourself" isn't were being rude starts.[/s] [quote name="@InkdemonCuddles" date=2016-01-31 01:54:22] I could make this gene in SAI in less than thirty seconds, can I charge 12 bucks for that too? [/quote] For 13*2*67 different dragons? :-D And yes, obviously you can charge that much money for it. Noone's gonne stop you.
@Marmite wrote on 2016-01-31:
Nobody was being rude.

Actually saying "It's so lazy-made!" over and over again (not necessarily you) seems somewhat rude to me.
Because one doesn't know whether the creator did it lazy? :-?
"Doesn't seem well done to me" is something else. But assuming the creator actually didn't care about the result...

And saying "die"/"go kill yourself" isn't were being rude starts.
@InkdemonCuddles wrote on 2016-01-31:
I could make this gene in SAI in less than thirty seconds, can I charge 12 bucks for that too?
For 13*2*67 different dragons? :-D
And yes, obviously you can charge that much money for it. Noone's gonne stop you.
banner: Kalvin's Skins and Accents light icon lightning icon earth icon nature icon

he/him
FR+9

light icon lightning icon earth icon nature icon
nature banner floating in wind
@Kalvin

I'll charge 12 bucks for every single dragon image then :D And finally fulfill my dream of getting a Wacom Cintiq.
@Kalvin

I'll charge 12 bucks for every single dragon image then :D And finally fulfill my dream of getting a Wacom Cintiq.
STW9f2s.png
I'm sorry to say that, but I really don't like this new gene. If you want to change a little the color of dragons, I would rather prefer a color wheel expansion instead of this horrible Instagram filter gene :(
I try many colors in Scrying Workshop, but no. They all look bland, like they are all ill. I think it's really the only gene in game I can't like. I find this ugly and useless :/

At least, it's cool for players who like filters, but 1200 gems for a filter ? hm, It's a bit hard.

To finish on a better note, Maren schools are so WOW. I need them !!!
I'm sorry to say that, but I really don't like this new gene. If you want to change a little the color of dragons, I would rather prefer a color wheel expansion instead of this horrible Instagram filter gene :(
I try many colors in Scrying Workshop, but no. They all look bland, like they are all ill. I think it's really the only gene in game I can't like. I find this ugly and useless :/

At least, it's cool for players who like filters, but 1200 gems for a filter ? hm, It's a bit hard.

To finish on a better note, Maren schools are so WOW. I need them !!!
34ycjkj.gif dXwjHZS.png e7vT7tZ.gifWMCEgD8.pngp8VaGaT.gif
I like the concept, but it makes most of the colors look muddy.
I like the concept, but it makes most of the colors look muddy.
FSsig6png.png
9591.gif9592.gif9593.gif9594.gif9595.gif9596.gif9597.gif9598.gif9599.gif9600.gif
[quote name="@InkdemonCuddles" date=2016-01-31 01:54:22] [quote name="@vantrums" date=2016-01-31 00:45:53] While the site was down for maintenance, I took that time to read through the responses on this thread and I gotta say... I am extremely disappointed in the way everyone has responded. I'm not fond of the gene; I can't find a single dragon I like it on enough to buy it. But honestly?? Why is everyone being so dang rude to each other over it? You can try to say you were just expressing your opinion--which is fine--but there's no need for 5 billion people to jump down the throat of anyone for someone else expressing their opinion. So what if it looks like a cheap filter?? So what if it seems a little overpriced?? Making this gene took real time and real effort to make. A real person made this gene. I redact my previous post where I said it was useless; there are obviously people on the site who like the gene so they're getting use out of it. Making negative comments, treating others so curtly over a simple comment... It's completely disrespectful. You ought to be happy that the developers are still releasing new genes. And so what if they pushed back the release of Petals?? It's going to get released one way or another, and the longer they wait to release it, the less problems there are likely to be with it. It's up to the discretion of the FR team how to price this gene, not yours. Who honestly knows how long it took to make? Who honestly knows how many or what elements went into getting it to work on every breed, with every gene? And for those of you complaining about the number of errors with it--every new gene has had problems with it. Look at vipera. Look at hypnotic. Look at glimmer. All of those genes had errors, and a lot of them still haven't been fixed, so at least Undel is working to correct any errors. Do not ping me in response to this. I saw how so many of you jumped down the throats of other posters and I don't want that. Respond, quote, criticize... I don't care. Just don't ping me. [/quote] I'm gonna be [i]that [/i]person. How much senseless guarding/coddling can fit in one post? This is probably a beautiful example. I could make this gene in SAI in less than thirty seconds, can I charge 12 bucks for that too? For making a clipped layer above the image of a dragon and lowering the opacity? It's not that the gene is terrible. It's great, especially with the rarity of a gem gene because it's the dream for breeding when one has a terrible tert for itself, but a great one for what you wanna achieve with breeding that dragon. But that does not justify the price AT ALL! It could be a rarer gene, cost something along the lines of Bar, and still do that job well. OR it could be a CHEAPER gem gene, that would certainly attract a lot more people! But no, it's horrendously overpriced and people like you come along. 'You should be happy they're updating at all!!' No, if they want users to use their stuff and pay for it they'll have to update. If that's not what they're looking for, why have the site at all? Sure, they can sit down and refuse to update but it'll make a lot of people run away... not very productive when you're trying to keep a site alive and earn money, y'know. :P I think you lack a lot of basic knowledge on this kinda thing, and should probably not open your mouth before you acquire it. And if you don't want anyone stabbing at you, you oughta watch your tone and the contents of your post. [/quote] There's no need to be so upset about this. They're expressing their opinion (though I agree it is silly to post something and not expect anyone to call them out if they're saying something disagreeable) As for tone, I would suggest losing a little of your sarcasm. People don't mind criticism, but when it's laced in sarcasm and irate undertones it's a little disconcerting. As per your SAI comment, I would have to disagree. They need to go in and make sure that they keep the integrity of the outline of the dragons, for 13 breeds, 2 genders a piece and with the constant need to be pushing material to sate everyone on this site it can make things difficult. I still agree that the gem pricing is over the top, however, it's their product and they can choose what they want to sell it for despite everything. Granted with this particular gene they probably won't make as much money, but if it's something they enjoyed developing and there are some satisfied people (such as myself because I've been wanting a vague/subtle tertiary gene since I joined) then I think they did their job.
@InkdemonCuddles wrote on 2016-01-31:
@vantrums wrote on 2016-01-31:
While the site was down for maintenance, I took that time to read through the responses on this thread and I gotta say... I am extremely disappointed in the way everyone has responded. I'm not fond of the gene; I can't find a single dragon I like it on enough to buy it. But honestly?? Why is everyone being so dang rude to each other over it? You can try to say you were just expressing your opinion--which is fine--but there's no need for 5 billion people to jump down the throat of anyone for someone else expressing their opinion.

So what if it looks like a cheap filter?? So what if it seems a little overpriced?? Making this gene took real time and real effort to make. A real person made this gene. I redact my previous post where I said it was useless; there are obviously people on the site who like the gene so they're getting use out of it. Making negative comments, treating others so curtly over a simple comment... It's completely disrespectful. You ought to be happy that the developers are still releasing new genes. And so what if they pushed back the release of Petals?? It's going to get released one way or another, and the longer they wait to release it, the less problems there are likely to be with it.

It's up to the discretion of the FR team how to price this gene, not yours. Who honestly knows how long it took to make? Who honestly knows how many or what elements went into getting it to work on every breed, with every gene? And for those of you complaining about the number of errors with it--every new gene has had problems with it. Look at vipera. Look at hypnotic. Look at glimmer. All of those genes had errors, and a lot of them still haven't been fixed, so at least Undel is working to correct any errors.

Do not ping me in response to this. I saw how so many of you jumped down the throats of other posters and I don't want that. Respond, quote, criticize... I don't care. Just don't ping me.

I'm gonna be that person.
How much senseless guarding/coddling can fit in one post?
This is probably a beautiful example.
I could make this gene in SAI in less than thirty seconds, can I charge 12 bucks for that too?
For making a clipped layer above the image of a dragon and lowering the opacity?
It's not that the gene is terrible. It's great, especially with the rarity of a gem gene because it's the dream for breeding when one has a terrible tert for itself, but a great one for what you wanna achieve with breeding that dragon.
But that does not justify the price AT ALL!
It could be a rarer gene, cost something along the lines of Bar, and still do that job well.
OR it could be a CHEAPER gem gene, that would certainly attract a lot more people!
But no, it's horrendously overpriced and people like you come along.
'You should be happy they're updating at all!!' No, if they want users to use their stuff and pay for it they'll have to update. If that's not what they're looking for, why have the site at all? Sure, they can sit down and refuse to update but it'll make a lot of people run away... not very productive when you're trying to keep a site alive and earn money, y'know. :P
I think you lack a lot of basic knowledge on this kinda thing, and should probably not open your mouth before you acquire it.
And if you don't want anyone stabbing at you, you oughta watch your tone and the contents of your post.

There's no need to be so upset about this. They're expressing their opinion (though I agree it is silly to post something and not expect anyone to call them out if they're saying something disagreeable)

As for tone, I would suggest losing a little of your sarcasm. People don't mind criticism, but when it's laced in sarcasm and irate undertones it's a little disconcerting.

As per your SAI comment, I would have to disagree. They need to go in and make sure that they keep the integrity of the outline of the dragons, for 13 breeds, 2 genders a piece and with the constant need to be pushing material to sate everyone on this site it can make things difficult. I still agree that the gem pricing is over the top, however, it's their product and they can choose what they want to sell it for despite everything. Granted with this particular gene they probably won't make as much money, but if it's something they enjoyed developing and there are some satisfied people (such as myself because I've been wanting a vague/subtle tertiary gene since I joined) then I think they did their job.
avAuMu2.png 025_zpsv0z8fu9j.png UHOkQbX.png
Honestly man, if Stained really is worth $12, then why the heck aren't all the other Gem Genes worth like $30+? Like especially Crystal/Facet since all those layers and sparkles had to be colored individually, and then all the effort put into the design...

Idk, you can argue that it's worth $12 'cause of the nearly 200 dragon/color combos all you want, but I say that all those other Gem Genes had to be tailored for that same number of combos and with more complex patterns yet they're priced about the same.

It's like Underbelly level effort -- it's still a lot, sure, but it's simpler than a lot of Treasure Genes and I tend to think of Gem Genes as being either literally shiny/shimmery or else just a lot of effort (i.e. Circuit/Butterfly). Maybe if Stained made things brighter rather than duller (Lensflare or Filter, maybe?) it'd have more of a Gem Gene feel.
Honestly man, if Stained really is worth $12, then why the heck aren't all the other Gem Genes worth like $30+? Like especially Crystal/Facet since all those layers and sparkles had to be colored individually, and then all the effort put into the design...

Idk, you can argue that it's worth $12 'cause of the nearly 200 dragon/color combos all you want, but I say that all those other Gem Genes had to be tailored for that same number of combos and with more complex patterns yet they're priced about the same.

It's like Underbelly level effort -- it's still a lot, sure, but it's simpler than a lot of Treasure Genes and I tend to think of Gem Genes as being either literally shiny/shimmery or else just a lot of effort (i.e. Circuit/Butterfly). Maybe if Stained made things brighter rather than duller (Lensflare or Filter, maybe?) it'd have more of a Gem Gene feel.
signatureletsmakesomescience_by_starryspelunker-da15fz6.png
Not sure what I think about that gene but hot damn I'll take those maren.
Not sure what I think about that gene but hot damn I'll take those maren.
qo9Km7P.png W0E74o1.png FR TIME +9H
@Kalvin
Quote:
Actually saying "It's so lazy-made!" over and over again (not necessarily you) seems somewhat rude to me.

Because it looks so lazy-made. Truth can hurt, real life can be rude. Pretending that 'omg it's the best gene eva, everybody loves it won't solve anything, right?

Generally, I think people get offended too easy these days.

@InkdemonCuddles

Completely, completely agree with you. You said everything I wanted, but didn't hadve balls to say.
@Kalvin
Quote:

Because it looks so lazy-made. Truth can hurt, real life can be rude. Pretending that 'omg it's the best gene eva, everybody loves it won't solve anything, right?

Generally, I think people get offended too easy these days.

@InkdemonCuddles

Completely, completely agree with you. You said everything I wanted, but didn't hadve balls to say.
[quote name="@Acteus" date=2016-01-30 22:35:36] Am I hallucinating the memories I TOTALLY HAVE of THIS EXACT GENE being suggested and loudly supported in the Tert Suggestion Thread?? Because a lot of people are acting completely floored by this, like "uh WHO would EVER want this, where did this ridiculous idea EVEN COME from smh smh!" and I'm just like other users other users explicitly have been asking for "a gene that just uses its color as a full-body subtle tint" You're allowed not to like it, you're allowed not to think it's worth the gem price tag, I guess I'm just a bit frustrated at the, like... supposition that this was inherently lazy, or them pulling something out of their behinds. I'm not gonna go dig through the thread but I.... I really promise guys this was a suggestion!! [/quote] FR's a gigantic salt mine - if users can complain about anything, they will. If only i could stop checking this site...
@Acteus wrote on 2016-01-30:
Am I hallucinating the memories I TOTALLY HAVE of THIS EXACT GENE being suggested and loudly supported in the Tert Suggestion Thread?? Because a lot of people are acting completely floored by this, like "uh WHO would EVER want this, where did this ridiculous idea EVEN COME from smh smh!" and I'm just like

other users

other users explicitly have been asking for "a gene that just uses its color as a full-body subtle tint"

You're allowed not to like it, you're allowed not to think it's worth the gem price tag, I guess I'm just a bit frustrated at the, like... supposition that this was inherently lazy, or them pulling something out of their behinds. I'm not gonna go dig through the thread but I.... I really promise guys this was a suggestion!!

FR's a gigantic salt mine - if users can complain about anything, they will.

If only i could stop checking this site...
sVQ6W82.pngngipcID.pngsVQ6W82.png
So is 2016 the year with fairly uncreative tertiary genes? i literally cracked up laughing when I read about this gene on the main thread. [b]A simple colour overlay with a bit of transparency:[/b] 1200 gems. They're really better off calling the gene "Overlay", and make it a common treasure gene, because 1200 gems for this?... ? ??? [s]I wont even mention Thylacine, since thank god, that is a treasure gene.[/s] I want [s]My dragons want[/s] more good genes like Glimmer, and Butterfly! .^. [quote=@vantrums] Making this gene took real time and real effort to make.[/quote] I can make a colour overlay layer and change it's transparency to 50% in about 5 seconds.
So is 2016 the year with fairly uncreative tertiary genes? i literally cracked up laughing when I read about this gene on the main thread.

A simple colour overlay with a bit of transparency: 1200 gems.

They're really better off calling the gene "Overlay", and make it a common treasure gene, because 1200 gems for this?... ? ??? I wont even mention Thylacine, since thank god, that is a treasure gene.

I want My dragons want more good genes like Glimmer, and Butterfly! .^.
@vantrums wrote:
Making this gene took real time and real effort to make.
I can make a colour overlay layer and change it's transparency to 50% in about 5 seconds.
1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 116 117