Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Breed Specific Legislation
1 2 3 4
(Forgot about this post, whoops)
@Bathos Thank you thank you thank you!! It's all about early socialization and training.

And yes, these breeds were all bred to be people pleasers. Doing what makes their owner happy, and doing it to the best of their ability. Which gets the dogs in to trouble.
I've seen so many stories of "vicious dogs" used in rings that have been put in a propper home and become the sweetest, most wonderful pets, who are good with other pets.

BSL Does not work. Ever. It makes the dogs more desirable in some cases to people who would use them for selfish reasons and cruel sport.

And it does not do much for population control, if you really look at it.
It takes the dogs away from the responsible owners and puts them down, usually within 48 hours, with no chance of the dog ever getting out of the shelter. At all. No matter what the dog in case is actually like around people or other animals.

Plus, it creates this stigma for people who rely on the media. When they hear that something has been banned because it's "bad", it gives them the impression that that is the case, 100% of the time. which it is not. And then they bad mouth the owners of said dogs. It drives me up the wall.
My uncle used to be like that, only listening to the news. His brother had a few though, and they changed his mind. He now has the quietest, sweetest little pitty that sleeps with his 10 year old every night.

As a groomer, I can attest to Bathos' example above. The big, "aggressive" breeds, if you will, are always trained so well and behave the best. I never use a muzzle unless I feel that it's necessary. I don't mind the occasional nibble or bite, the dog is scared and uncomfortable, and it's usually my own fault if I ever get bitten bad.
But the ones I have had to muzzle have been yorkies and toy poodles. Frisky little things that have no training because "oh, it's a small dog. It's not going to be a problem, he/she's too tiny to do anything too bad!" Wrong.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that there is a reason (or a few) that pits are reported the most.
  • They are the most popular breed/type in the U.S. currently, which means a higher overall population.
  • As Bathos said, many people can't even identify a pit bull, which means that if they can't identify the dog, the will probably peg them as a pit due to media stigmas.

Also, that "long-haired pit" thing made me laugh for a good 5 minutes. Newfies are the sweetest breed, they put up with way more than I ever would before I would probably snap on someone.
(Forgot about this post, whoops)
@Bathos Thank you thank you thank you!! It's all about early socialization and training.

And yes, these breeds were all bred to be people pleasers. Doing what makes their owner happy, and doing it to the best of their ability. Which gets the dogs in to trouble.
I've seen so many stories of "vicious dogs" used in rings that have been put in a propper home and become the sweetest, most wonderful pets, who are good with other pets.

BSL Does not work. Ever. It makes the dogs more desirable in some cases to people who would use them for selfish reasons and cruel sport.

And it does not do much for population control, if you really look at it.
It takes the dogs away from the responsible owners and puts them down, usually within 48 hours, with no chance of the dog ever getting out of the shelter. At all. No matter what the dog in case is actually like around people or other animals.

Plus, it creates this stigma for people who rely on the media. When they hear that something has been banned because it's "bad", it gives them the impression that that is the case, 100% of the time. which it is not. And then they bad mouth the owners of said dogs. It drives me up the wall.
My uncle used to be like that, only listening to the news. His brother had a few though, and they changed his mind. He now has the quietest, sweetest little pitty that sleeps with his 10 year old every night.

As a groomer, I can attest to Bathos' example above. The big, "aggressive" breeds, if you will, are always trained so well and behave the best. I never use a muzzle unless I feel that it's necessary. I don't mind the occasional nibble or bite, the dog is scared and uncomfortable, and it's usually my own fault if I ever get bitten bad.
But the ones I have had to muzzle have been yorkies and toy poodles. Frisky little things that have no training because "oh, it's a small dog. It's not going to be a problem, he/she's too tiny to do anything too bad!" Wrong.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that there is a reason (or a few) that pits are reported the most.
  • They are the most popular breed/type in the U.S. currently, which means a higher overall population.
  • As Bathos said, many people can't even identify a pit bull, which means that if they can't identify the dog, the will probably peg them as a pit due to media stigmas.

Also, that "long-haired pit" thing made me laugh for a good 5 minutes. Newfies are the sweetest breed, they put up with way more than I ever would before I would probably snap on someone.
fZVmdhk.png
@CaptainCanid Well, if you really want to 'split hairs' ;) a Newfoundland -is- a descendant of the original Mastiff breed, along with the St Bernard!

But yeah, they're sweet. I luffs them but ooooh all that hair!!! (and the drool)

If we really want to get rid of things that are dangerous to improve our lives, let's start with some people! ;)
@CaptainCanid Well, if you really want to 'split hairs' ;) a Newfoundland -is- a descendant of the original Mastiff breed, along with the St Bernard!

But yeah, they're sweet. I luffs them but ooooh all that hair!!! (and the drool)

If we really want to get rid of things that are dangerous to improve our lives, let's start with some people! ;)
I don't really have any opinion on this topic, but just to add:

BSL doesn't -have- to remove dogs from people who already own them. There is such thing called a "grandfather clause" that lets you keep what you had previously, you just can't get more of it. So if a gun law is made that ban certain guns, those particular guns that people owned before the law was made can still keep them, they just can't sell them, etc. If a breed-specific law is made, often people can still keep their dogs of that particular breed, they just can't get more/breed them/sell them/etc.
I don't really have any opinion on this topic, but just to add:

BSL doesn't -have- to remove dogs from people who already own them. There is such thing called a "grandfather clause" that lets you keep what you had previously, you just can't get more of it. So if a gun law is made that ban certain guns, those particular guns that people owned before the law was made can still keep them, they just can't sell them, etc. If a breed-specific law is made, often people can still keep their dogs of that particular breed, they just can't get more/breed them/sell them/etc.
I raise wolfdogs, aka as wolf hybrids, and there are plenty of states where they are banned.entirely, and many huskies, malamutes, German shepherds, and other similar.breeds have been immediately euthanized or worse, released deep into forests, as a result of being suspected of wolf content, even when the trained eye can see there is none! I get SO many people that contact me looking for a black and white, blue eyed wolf. I try to stay as polite as I can when I say those are husky traits, not wolfdog traits, and I'll always get people who want to argue that with me.

I don't like BSL but I also don't like seeing the FLOOD of pit bulls on Craigslist, in shelters, etc. I wish more people were educated on good breeding practices and took advantage o the many spay/neuter programs.that are FREE to pitties! Seriously. If people just stopped over breeding them, that would drastically cut down their bite numbers and pull them out of the negative light. Less dogs, less bites. I'm not saying they bite more but if you say okay, one in ten dogs will bite someone, there are hundreds of thousands of pit bulls vs the small handful of say, Irish Wolfhounds you'll be able to find in the US.
I raise wolfdogs, aka as wolf hybrids, and there are plenty of states where they are banned.entirely, and many huskies, malamutes, German shepherds, and other similar.breeds have been immediately euthanized or worse, released deep into forests, as a result of being suspected of wolf content, even when the trained eye can see there is none! I get SO many people that contact me looking for a black and white, blue eyed wolf. I try to stay as polite as I can when I say those are husky traits, not wolfdog traits, and I'll always get people who want to argue that with me.

I don't like BSL but I also don't like seeing the FLOOD of pit bulls on Craigslist, in shelters, etc. I wish more people were educated on good breeding practices and took advantage o the many spay/neuter programs.that are FREE to pitties! Seriously. If people just stopped over breeding them, that would drastically cut down their bite numbers and pull them out of the negative light. Less dogs, less bites. I'm not saying they bite more but if you say okay, one in ten dogs will bite someone, there are hundreds of thousands of pit bulls vs the small handful of say, Irish Wolfhounds you'll be able to find in the US.
My dog half German Shepherd, quarter Chow and quarter Border Collie, she's a sweetheart c:

But my aunt's seeing eye dog is a purebred German Shepherd. I don't even understand how someone can outlaw an entire breed based on a rough past when it differs from dog to dog. It's like racism for doggies to put it bluntly, and I don't think it's acceptable.

Obviously these dogs are perfectly capable of working in modern society.
My dog half German Shepherd, quarter Chow and quarter Border Collie, she's a sweetheart c:

But my aunt's seeing eye dog is a purebred German Shepherd. I don't even understand how someone can outlaw an entire breed based on a rough past when it differs from dog to dog. It's like racism for doggies to put it bluntly, and I don't think it's acceptable.

Obviously these dogs are perfectly capable of working in modern society.
@Convict Exactly, thank.
@Convict Exactly, thank.
fZVmdhk.png
The way I see it, it is the owner not the dog, Pitbulls have the worst press ever my sister and a long time family friends are scared of them.

THEY HAVE no lock jaw, it dose not exist x3

I my self have never had a pitbull but I did use to be afraid of rotties because I thought they were the 'bad' dog, which they usually are in all the movies but hey x3

they do got the tough look to them, its just wrong they even use to be the poster dog for the military at one point.
The way I see it, it is the owner not the dog, Pitbulls have the worst press ever my sister and a long time family friends are scared of them.

I my self have never had a pitbull but I did use to be afraid of rotties because I thought they were the 'bad' dog, which they usually are in all the movies but hey x3

they do got the tough look to them, its just wrong they even use to be the poster dog for the military at one point.
A Rose by any means
I live in an area where, while there's no city-wide ban on 'BAD' breeds, it's almost impossible to find housing if you have one. Most places will not rent to anyone with a Pit Bull. Even one with Good Citizen testing and fully insured.

Dog Attack percentages are very skewed. I was a vet tech, and the majority of bites we got through the clinic? Toy breeds. They're the number one bite statistic-- but because their bites aren't that damaging, these aren't reported or recorded. Hell, my own mother's chihuahua bit me literally every chance she got.

What irks me about biting issues? Almost any dog that bites a child is almost instantly put down, even if the child instigated the bite. It's always the animal that suffers, even if the blame is on the child and parents.
I live in an area where, while there's no city-wide ban on 'BAD' breeds, it's almost impossible to find housing if you have one. Most places will not rent to anyone with a Pit Bull. Even one with Good Citizen testing and fully insured.

Dog Attack percentages are very skewed. I was a vet tech, and the majority of bites we got through the clinic? Toy breeds. They're the number one bite statistic-- but because their bites aren't that damaging, these aren't reported or recorded. Hell, my own mother's chihuahua bit me literally every chance she got.

What irks me about biting issues? Almost any dog that bites a child is almost instantly put down, even if the child instigated the bite. It's always the animal that suffers, even if the blame is on the child and parents.
c3e10f17-1975-4c29-b3a0-7989fbe17133_zpsb93b0c20.jpg My Art. Will do sketches for dragons! Just shoot me a PM!
[quote name="AthenaRose" date="2013-09-18 13:28:30"] THEY HAVE no lock jaw, it dose not exist x3 [/quote] What I always say to people going on about the 'locking jaw' bit: Lock jaw does exists, but it's tetanus, and is far more common in pigs and humans than in dogs. Dogs are actually resistant to it.
AthenaRose wrote on 2013-09-18 13:28:30:

What I always say to people going on about the 'locking jaw' bit: Lock jaw does exists, but it's tetanus, and is far more common in pigs and humans than in dogs. Dogs are actually resistant to it.
[quote name="Karja" date="2013-09-18 21:03:43"][quote name="AthenaRose" date="2013-09-18 13:28:30"] THEY HAVE no lock jaw, it dose not exist x3 [/quote] What I always say to people going on about the 'locking jaw' bit: Lock jaw does exists, but it's tetanus, and is far more common in pigs and humans than in dogs. Dogs are actually resistant to it.[/quote] I didn't know that, all I knew is that it did not exit in pit bulls x3 ;d and I agree with Kari- toy breeds bite a lot but they get away with it because their so small.
Karja wrote on 2013-09-18 21:03:43:
AthenaRose wrote on 2013-09-18 13:28:30:

What I always say to people going on about the 'locking jaw' bit: Lock jaw does exists, but it's tetanus, and is far more common in pigs and humans than in dogs. Dogs are actually resistant to it.

I didn't know that, all I knew is that it did not exit in pit bulls x3 ;d and I agree with Kari- toy breeds bite a lot but they get away with it because their so small.
A Rose by any means
1 2 3 4