Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Lair Tracker 3.2 [ NEW THREAD ]
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 41 42
@Alestrius First off I'd like to say that this sheet is wonderful, and that I really admire you for managing it. It's an amazing resource for so many users.

Secondly, I've been looking into and testing an option to make updates much easier for the users of the sheet, and potentially easier for you. From what I understand, most updates are focused on changes that affect data used in data validation and various formulas. With that in mind, I've been testing some options with the importrange function google sheets has. Forgive me if you've already considered this, and if you already know about the function, but basically it can pull data from a completely separate spreadsheet (not to be confused with the sheets within a spreadsheet) when given the url to it. So I figured that if everything that's usually updated (e.g. genes, breeds, rarity/percentages, etc.) were hosted on a separate spreadsheet that the main one simply referenced, users of the main spreadsheet wouldn't have to copy their data everytime there's an update to the gene list or something. They likely wouldn't even have to change their own spreadsheet at all, it would simply update automatically. And all you would have to do is add the new gene/breed/whatever to the appropriate column and you'd be good to go.

I've made a simple example sheet pulling data from the H-Lists sheet of the lair companion. Obviously the actual sheet that holds the data would have to be changed a bit so that the user-specific things such as dragons wouldn't be included on the source sheet, and would likely be located in the far-right/left column on the hidden sheets of the main spreadsheet, but I feel this gets the basic idea across.

I've tried testing and researching how long the delay usually is when you update the source sheet compared to when the changes appear on the main sheet, and it seems to range between instantly, and about a half hour. Nothing that seems to unreasonable for something like this.

Also, I completely understand about the depression and lack of motivation, and I don't at all expect you to implement this right away, if at all. It's simply a suggestion, and you can do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you'd like, I may even be able to make a copy of the main sheet and play around with it sometime so that it's formatted as it needs to be, and all you'd need to do is copy the necessary data to a source sheet that you'd own, and then paste the whole sheet over the current one as a new update. However it's late right now, and I need to sleep, so all I could manage was just the simple example I linked. Let me know if you'd like any help! Again, fantastic job on this spreadsheet!
@Alestrius First off I'd like to say that this sheet is wonderful, and that I really admire you for managing it. It's an amazing resource for so many users.

Secondly, I've been looking into and testing an option to make updates much easier for the users of the sheet, and potentially easier for you. From what I understand, most updates are focused on changes that affect data used in data validation and various formulas. With that in mind, I've been testing some options with the importrange function google sheets has. Forgive me if you've already considered this, and if you already know about the function, but basically it can pull data from a completely separate spreadsheet (not to be confused with the sheets within a spreadsheet) when given the url to it. So I figured that if everything that's usually updated (e.g. genes, breeds, rarity/percentages, etc.) were hosted on a separate spreadsheet that the main one simply referenced, users of the main spreadsheet wouldn't have to copy their data everytime there's an update to the gene list or something. They likely wouldn't even have to change their own spreadsheet at all, it would simply update automatically. And all you would have to do is add the new gene/breed/whatever to the appropriate column and you'd be good to go.

I've made a simple example sheet pulling data from the H-Lists sheet of the lair companion. Obviously the actual sheet that holds the data would have to be changed a bit so that the user-specific things such as dragons wouldn't be included on the source sheet, and would likely be located in the far-right/left column on the hidden sheets of the main spreadsheet, but I feel this gets the basic idea across.

I've tried testing and researching how long the delay usually is when you update the source sheet compared to when the changes appear on the main sheet, and it seems to range between instantly, and about a half hour. Nothing that seems to unreasonable for something like this.

Also, I completely understand about the depression and lack of motivation, and I don't at all expect you to implement this right away, if at all. It's simply a suggestion, and you can do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you'd like, I may even be able to make a copy of the main sheet and play around with it sometime so that it's formatted as it needs to be, and all you'd need to do is copy the necessary data to a source sheet that you'd own, and then paste the whole sheet over the current one as a new update. However it's late right now, and I need to sleep, so all I could manage was just the simple example I linked. Let me know if you'd like any help! Again, fantastic job on this spreadsheet!
14ca8tj.jpg
@Alestrius

Thank you so much for this. I sincerely hope the fog lifts soon. I know how awful the struggle can be. Your efforts despite this are very much appreciated. Take care of yourself. :)
@Alestrius

Thank you so much for this. I sincerely hope the fog lifts soon. I know how awful the struggle can be. Your efforts despite this are very much appreciated. Take care of yourself. :)
@Alestrius Continuing from my last comment, I made a mockup of how the lair companion would work with this method for updating.

Here's the lair companion

And here's the source sheet that would be edited for updates

The only thing I edited on the lair companion is the "H-" sheets and the lair census. The census should now automatically pull from the H-Lists sheet to get all it's data, and I had to do a bit of rearranging to ensure that everything would always fit no matter how many new genes and colors were added.

On the source sheet, most of it's directly copied from the original "H-" sheets, with the user-specific things like the dragons removed.

If you want to make this work on the real spreadsheet, you'd just have to copy the source sheet so that you'd own it, and then change the key in H-Lists A1 to match the one in the url of the version you own. I think everything else should take care of itself.

And again, I don't at all expect you to work on this right away, if you even decided to use this method at all. There's no rush or pressure. I did my best to make it pretty simple to implement if you do use it, whenever you're ready to.

Side note: I won't at all be offended if you don't end up using this, or if you decide to change it before implementing it. You can honestly do whatever you like with it and it'd be perfectly fine, I just made this so it'd hopefully make it easier for you.
@Alestrius Continuing from my last comment, I made a mockup of how the lair companion would work with this method for updating.

Here's the lair companion

And here's the source sheet that would be edited for updates

The only thing I edited on the lair companion is the "H-" sheets and the lair census. The census should now automatically pull from the H-Lists sheet to get all it's data, and I had to do a bit of rearranging to ensure that everything would always fit no matter how many new genes and colors were added.

On the source sheet, most of it's directly copied from the original "H-" sheets, with the user-specific things like the dragons removed.

If you want to make this work on the real spreadsheet, you'd just have to copy the source sheet so that you'd own it, and then change the key in H-Lists A1 to match the one in the url of the version you own. I think everything else should take care of itself.

And again, I don't at all expect you to work on this right away, if you even decided to use this method at all. There's no rush or pressure. I did my best to make it pretty simple to implement if you do use it, whenever you're ready to.

Side note: I won't at all be offended if you don't end up using this, or if you decide to change it before implementing it. You can honestly do whatever you like with it and it'd be perfectly fine, I just made this so it'd hopefully make it easier for you.
14ca8tj.jpg
Thanks for the update!
Thanks for the update!
Lyra Cadens Hatchery specializes in x/gold/gold dragons and Imps.
27854.png763257.png2963874.png3555695.png4278588.png
@Paleh after your earlier comment, @Alestrius got in touch with me regarding your suggestion. It's a good one, and I believe it will be implemented soon. :D

I offered to 'come out of retirement' temporarily to help ensure that everything goes smooth and things go forward with the least amount of fuss possible.

As a guy who really likes spreadsheets, I always get a warm, fuzzy feeling when someone else who knows a thing or two about them comes along with smart ideas. Kudos to you!
@Paleh after your earlier comment, @Alestrius got in touch with me regarding your suggestion. It's a good one, and I believe it will be implemented soon. :D

I offered to 'come out of retirement' temporarily to help ensure that everything goes smooth and things go forward with the least amount of fuss possible.

As a guy who really likes spreadsheets, I always get a warm, fuzzy feeling when someone else who knows a thing or two about them comes along with smart ideas. Kudos to you!
@Alestrius
Hey, I apologize if I'm doing something wrong, but how do you get the RTB on the breeding pairs page to display? I looked in the instructions but I couldn't find out what I was doing wrong.

Here's my sheet so you can see what I mean.
@Alestrius
Hey, I apologize if I'm doing something wrong, but how do you get the RTB on the breeding pairs page to display? I looked in the instructions but I couldn't find out what I was doing wrong.

Here's my sheet so you can see what I mean.
bsOo7ST.gifwe_rode_on_the_winds_of_the_rising_storm_by_c_yang-d68stu4.gif
595bwIn.png
@Alestrius

Just started using this, and I am extremely happy with it. Can you add me to the pinglist? I super don't want to lose the thread after an update.
It's lovely, and I can transfer everything from my old spreadsheet (that sucked). c:
@Alestrius

Just started using this, and I am extremely happy with it. Can you add me to the pinglist? I super don't want to lose the thread after an update.
It's lovely, and I can transfer everything from my old spreadsheet (that sucked). c:
V2JLSpi.png0uebEKY.pngimage.pngimage.pngBsom7I2.pngjnEhDH9.pngX7H4JZX.pngnF1ESUZ.pngBadnwzE.png aa
Luteia // 21+ // fae|faer or he|him

Ping me to get my attention!

Nature // Shadow // FR Time
aa qA4DWTW.png
Thanks to a wonderful suggestion by @Paleh and some poking by @Alestrius to remind me that I'd offered to help, the sheet has been updated in such a fashion as to make everyone's lives just a little bit easier.

You will need to download a copy of the new sheet and transfer your data to it.

Fortunately, that should be the last time for quite a while!

The hidden, last-holding tabs (the ones with names like "H-blah blah blah") have been updated to automatically pull data from a single, master sheet. @Alestrius is managing this sheet and when there is an update it should show up on your copy about 30 seconds after it's been input (if you happen to have your sheet open at the time), or about 30 seconds after the next time you open it.

When FR puts out a new Gene, or when new rarity/comparison data becomes available, and is added to the master sheet, it will get automatically copied over to your sheet without any effort on your part. It'll just start appearing in dropdown menus or the various percentage displays.
Thanks to a wonderful suggestion by @Paleh and some poking by @Alestrius to remind me that I'd offered to help, the sheet has been updated in such a fashion as to make everyone's lives just a little bit easier.

You will need to download a copy of the new sheet and transfer your data to it.

Fortunately, that should be the last time for quite a while!

The hidden, last-holding tabs (the ones with names like "H-blah blah blah") have been updated to automatically pull data from a single, master sheet. @Alestrius is managing this sheet and when there is an update it should show up on your copy about 30 seconds after it's been input (if you happen to have your sheet open at the time), or about 30 seconds after the next time you open it.

When FR puts out a new Gene, or when new rarity/comparison data becomes available, and is added to the master sheet, it will get automatically copied over to your sheet without any effort on your part. It'll just start appearing in dropdown menus or the various percentage displays.
Darn. ono I had just copied over to the new one yesterday. Been putting it off because I'm lazy and I didn't have dragons with the new genes anyway. Haha should've waited oneee more day.
Darn. ono I had just copied over to the new one yesterday. Been putting it off because I'm lazy and I didn't have dragons with the new genes anyway. Haha should've waited oneee more day.
EBs1WDl.png
@aenaithia Pinging myself so I can find this again when there's new genes.
@aenaithia Pinging myself so I can find this again when there's new genes.
QjLvNwp.pngdIzT7zK.pngZe1FV3k.pngEGzfMVW.pngtqa10NX.pngDoc89Ty.png33VeK2O.pngyK2yfiw.pngLmaOJsE.pngmIW0c7q.pngHeOrmkw.png0jScwbh.pngmVbiNgO.png2eU40bl.pngQNbfPfg.png
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 41 42