Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone a nurse? Or want to be?
hey folks! i was wondering if anyone out there was a nurse, and if so, if you could relate some of your experiences.

when I think about what I want to do, I really like the idea of nursing. However, my main concern is getting into a nursing program. if you know of schools that maybe have high acceptance rates or unique programs, that'd be cool. I'd like to stay in my home state of CA, but the programs are really hard to get into, so I may need to go elsewhere.

also, just, what is being a nurse like? do you enjoy it? if you could do life over, would you still choose to be a nurse? etc

I'm a freshman at community college right now, and in that stage where I'm trying to decide where to go with my life but it's also really difficult. so any advice or experiences to share would be great.

thanks!
hey folks! i was wondering if anyone out there was a nurse, and if so, if you could relate some of your experiences.

when I think about what I want to do, I really like the idea of nursing. However, my main concern is getting into a nursing program. if you know of schools that maybe have high acceptance rates or unique programs, that'd be cool. I'd like to stay in my home state of CA, but the programs are really hard to get into, so I may need to go elsewhere.

also, just, what is being a nurse like? do you enjoy it? if you could do life over, would you still choose to be a nurse? etc

I'm a freshman at community college right now, and in that stage where I'm trying to decide where to go with my life but it's also really difficult. so any advice or experiences to share would be great.

thanks!
@Nimrodel

While I'm not a nurse or doctor myself, my mother is a nurse, and my sister is on her track to there. I had an aunt who was a nurse for a while too.

I gotta say, they absolutely love(d) their job. Sure, at first it's really hard, and you have to get used to all the... 'bad' things happening, but as my mom says, after a few years, even if it's still hard, you get over it and you understand.

Patients can we really incredible too. They range from total arseholes to angels on earth; my mother gets so many gifts from her patients. She says there's no other job she'd ever do.

While I'm not interested in this job at all, I mostly only hear nice things about it! Good luck!
@Nimrodel

While I'm not a nurse or doctor myself, my mother is a nurse, and my sister is on her track to there. I had an aunt who was a nurse for a while too.

I gotta say, they absolutely love(d) their job. Sure, at first it's really hard, and you have to get used to all the... 'bad' things happening, but as my mom says, after a few years, even if it's still hard, you get over it and you understand.

Patients can we really incredible too. They range from total arseholes to angels on earth; my mother gets so many gifts from her patients. She says there's no other job she'd ever do.

While I'm not interested in this job at all, I mostly only hear nice things about it! Good luck!
i have a diploma in medical assisting if that counts.

honestly my mom pretty much forced me into it and not wanting to disappoint her i went through with it (i wasn't ready to go back to school yet + i didn't like the school). still, i finished the program and got a diploma but never got FULLY certified. i was super passionate about medicine and healthcare but my social phobia and anxiety really got in the way and i wasn't comfortable with interacting with people all day and constantly worrying about doing something wrong while drawing blood or harming the patient in any way, etc.

so yeah, sucks that i went through all that training for nothing, plus i'm in debt from loans lmao... but that's just my experience and the other MAs that i worked with loved their jobs. definitely wasn't for me tho but i did enjoy all the stuff i learned.
i have a diploma in medical assisting if that counts.

honestly my mom pretty much forced me into it and not wanting to disappoint her i went through with it (i wasn't ready to go back to school yet + i didn't like the school). still, i finished the program and got a diploma but never got FULLY certified. i was super passionate about medicine and healthcare but my social phobia and anxiety really got in the way and i wasn't comfortable with interacting with people all day and constantly worrying about doing something wrong while drawing blood or harming the patient in any way, etc.

so yeah, sucks that i went through all that training for nothing, plus i'm in debt from loans lmao... but that's just my experience and the other MAs that i worked with loved their jobs. definitely wasn't for me tho but i did enjoy all the stuff i learned.
you really think someone would do that?
just go on the internet and tell lies?
@Nimrodel Wanting to become a nurse is awesome, but what is it about being a nurse that appeals to you?

As an allied health professional, I want to instil to the general public that there is so much more to healthcare than nurses/doctors/pharmacists. There are people who take x-ray/MRI/CT/ultrasound imaging, laboratory testing, chiropodist/podiatrists, anesthesia assistants, cardiovascular perfusion, respiratory therapy, midwifery, physician's assistant, etc. etc.
@Nimrodel Wanting to become a nurse is awesome, but what is it about being a nurse that appeals to you?

As an allied health professional, I want to instil to the general public that there is so much more to healthcare than nurses/doctors/pharmacists. There are people who take x-ray/MRI/CT/ultrasound imaging, laboratory testing, chiropodist/podiatrists, anesthesia assistants, cardiovascular perfusion, respiratory therapy, midwifery, physician's assistant, etc. etc.
I'm a nursing student from PA; I'm not familiar with nursing schools out west, but I'm doing a 2-year RN program at a community college and it's really saving me money. I plan on getting my BSN online when I graduate.

The program is a lot of work. You definitely have to keep up with your textbook readings and lectures, or you'll fall behind. It takes some time to get used to nursing exams, too. They are nothing but critical thinking questions. They start you off with really basic stuff, though. Clinical training out in the field may seem scary at first, but it soon becomes awesome because you're applying your new knowledge and you start to really feel like a nurse! I'm graduating this spring, so my clinical training is pretty much "here's your patients, get to work". It's a neat feeling. You never have to worry about being unsafe, though, because your instructor is always there when you're passing meds or doing something invasive.

I definitely have my doubts now and then about nursing. You see people at their worst, people who have no hope, people who are in so much pain. Sometimes you feel like you can't take it. One of my instructors told me this: You can't save everyone. What you can do, though, is go in every day with the full intention to help. That's kind of my nursing mantra, now.

One last thing because this is getting ramble-y: It's totally okay if there's things in nursing that you can't handle. It doesn't mean you can't be a nurse. For me, it's the operating room. The noises, the smells, the internal organs... Nope. NOOOPE. Nursing is such a broad field, though, that it's pretty easy to find a job where you don't have to deal with certain things. I will not be an OR nurse. Fine with me. :P

Feel free to ask me anything else!
I'm a nursing student from PA; I'm not familiar with nursing schools out west, but I'm doing a 2-year RN program at a community college and it's really saving me money. I plan on getting my BSN online when I graduate.

The program is a lot of work. You definitely have to keep up with your textbook readings and lectures, or you'll fall behind. It takes some time to get used to nursing exams, too. They are nothing but critical thinking questions. They start you off with really basic stuff, though. Clinical training out in the field may seem scary at first, but it soon becomes awesome because you're applying your new knowledge and you start to really feel like a nurse! I'm graduating this spring, so my clinical training is pretty much "here's your patients, get to work". It's a neat feeling. You never have to worry about being unsafe, though, because your instructor is always there when you're passing meds or doing something invasive.

I definitely have my doubts now and then about nursing. You see people at their worst, people who have no hope, people who are in so much pain. Sometimes you feel like you can't take it. One of my instructors told me this: You can't save everyone. What you can do, though, is go in every day with the full intention to help. That's kind of my nursing mantra, now.

One last thing because this is getting ramble-y: It's totally okay if there's things in nursing that you can't handle. It doesn't mean you can't be a nurse. For me, it's the operating room. The noises, the smells, the internal organs... Nope. NOOOPE. Nursing is such a broad field, though, that it's pretty easy to find a job where you don't have to deal with certain things. I will not be an OR nurse. Fine with me. :P

Feel free to ask me anything else!
AZSzsEP.png13184.pngAZSzsEP.png