Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Stop Censoring Blood
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
Okay then, guess my post was edited since I posted a pic of a skin...I've seen others do the same and not have theirs edited? (all I did was praise the skin for being creative but whatever) Oh well, still support from me.
Okay then, guess my post was edited since I posted a pic of a skin...I've seen others do the same and not have theirs edited? (all I did was praise the skin for being creative but whatever) Oh well, still support from me.
XJdRh.gif4bgzb.gifIO6Vh.gif7u9fJ.gifWkUFl.gifjciq3.gif
The "there is much more to plague than blood" rhetoric is so annoying and isn't even a valid argument. Yes, there is more to plague than blood. But blood is still an aspect of it that has existed on the site since it started. There's no reason for a feature of the flight to be suddenly banned. I mean, really, what's more grotesque: some blood, or the intestines sprawled about the egg nests and around the borders of the site?
The "there is much more to plague than blood" rhetoric is so annoying and isn't even a valid argument. Yes, there is more to plague than blood. But blood is still an aspect of it that has existed on the site since it started. There's no reason for a feature of the flight to be suddenly banned. I mean, really, what's more grotesque: some blood, or the intestines sprawled about the egg nests and around the borders of the site?
riIlIkg.pngxxxxxxx2fThUE6.pngxxxxxxx3RHrJoP.png
[quote name="ChocoXCheese" date=2015-10-08 17:33:31] The "there is much more to plague than blood" rhetoric is so annoying and isn't even a valid argument. Yes, there is more to plague than blood. But blood is still an aspect of it that has existed on the site since it started. There's no reason for a feature of the flight to be suddenly banned. I mean, really, what's more grotesque: some blood, or the intestines sprawled about the egg nests and around the borders of the site? [/quote] The problem with that comparison is few people outside plague will see the border or the nests of plague more than once or twice, and typically infrequently. These skins, especially RoR ones, will be seen by, very likely, the majority of the site, just as custom skins and accents, while not as widely seen as the RoR skins, have the potential to be seen by many more people than those in Plague. Again, I don't call for an outright ban of blood, but I can see some limits being put into place (just not this strict of ones.)
ChocoXCheese wrote on 2015-10-08:

The problem with that comparison is few people outside plague will see the border or the nests of plague more than once or twice, and typically infrequently. These skins, especially RoR ones, will be seen by, very likely, the majority of the site, just as custom skins and accents, while not as widely seen as the RoR skins, have the potential to be seen by many more people than those in Plague.

Again, I don't call for an outright ban of blood, but I can see some limits being put into place (just not this strict of ones.)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Hello, all.

I made a poll about this, here's the thread for it. No specifics about voting are given (although it does show how many voted on one option)

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1604755

(Please dont argue in the thread, im just trying to collect info)
Hello, all.

I made a poll about this, here's the thread for it. No specifics about voting are given (although it does show how many voted on one option)

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1604755

(Please dont argue in the thread, im just trying to collect info)
heynwcJ.pngM4kaT9Y.png OTY64LS.png
I think it would be far more difficult and divisive to try to be specific about middle grounds about blood and gore than this simple and easy to understand ban of all blood. Given the strife about this, there'd be far more about why one skin got denied when it is, so obviously to someone, nearly exactly like this other one that got accepted.

This is still a small site with a small number of admins; I'd rather make their lives easier with a simple rule like the current one than harder by having to judge and argue over a swathe of skins that might differ only slightly.

The current rule seems quite practical to me.
I think it would be far more difficult and divisive to try to be specific about middle grounds about blood and gore than this simple and easy to understand ban of all blood. Given the strife about this, there'd be far more about why one skin got denied when it is, so obviously to someone, nearly exactly like this other one that got accepted.

This is still a small site with a small number of admins; I'd rather make their lives easier with a simple rule like the current one than harder by having to judge and argue over a swathe of skins that might differ only slightly.

The current rule seems quite practical to me.
177499lightofknowledge2.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date=2015-10-08 17:37:43] [quote name="ChocoXCheese" date=2015-10-08 17:33:31] The "there is much more to plague than blood" rhetoric is so annoying and isn't even a valid argument. Yes, there is more to plague than blood. But blood is still an aspect of it that has existed on the site since it started. There's no reason for a feature of the flight to be suddenly banned. I mean, really, what's more grotesque: some blood, or the intestines sprawled about the egg nests and around the borders of the site? [/quote] The problem with that comparison is few people outside plague will see the border or the nests of plague more than once or twice, and typically infrequently. These skins, especially RoR ones, will be seen by, very likely, the majority of the site, just as custom skins and accents, while not as widely seen as the RoR skins, have the potential to be seen by many more people than those in Plague. Again, I don't call for an outright ban of blood, but I can see some limits being put into place (just not this strict of ones.) [/quote] If they don't want to see the skins, they're very easy to avoid. Simply don't click on the previews and don't go into threads where people are discussing them. Even in Dragon Share the theme of each thread is in the title. It's pretty unlikely anyone is gonna be blind sided by one of these skins. Full support, as always.
Jemadar wrote on 2015-10-08:

The problem with that comparison is few people outside plague will see the border or the nests of plague more than once or twice, and typically infrequently. These skins, especially RoR ones, will be seen by, very likely, the majority of the site, just as custom skins and accents, while not as widely seen as the RoR skins, have the potential to be seen by many more people than those in Plague.

Again, I don't call for an outright ban of blood, but I can see some limits being put into place (just not this strict of ones.)

If they don't want to see the skins, they're very easy to avoid. Simply don't click on the previews and don't go into threads where people are discussing them. Even in Dragon Share the theme of each thread is in the title. It's pretty unlikely anyone is gonna be blind sided by one of these skins.

Full support, as always.
dlJsEIj.png
After a few days thought on this matter, I think a filter is needed.

I mean, the old accents are grandfathered (thank you Undel), so we are still going to see bloody skins on site anyway. And for the new ones you just cannot have any blood at all, even when the blood is, well, almost non-visible. (I'm still not sure where the blood is on Decay's pearl skin).

This site is around for more than 2 years, and what puzzles me is why the sudden censoring on blood? If blood is an issue, then the censorship should happen long ago when the site was first built. The rating of the site didn't change; the lore and backbone of the site didn't change; so what changed?

I do not want to see FR turning into a kid site, though I also understand not everyone has the stomach for blood. A filter system is definitely a good middle ground and can satisfy everyone and justify the teen-rating and the lore.
After a few days thought on this matter, I think a filter is needed.

I mean, the old accents are grandfathered (thank you Undel), so we are still going to see bloody skins on site anyway. And for the new ones you just cannot have any blood at all, even when the blood is, well, almost non-visible. (I'm still not sure where the blood is on Decay's pearl skin).

This site is around for more than 2 years, and what puzzles me is why the sudden censoring on blood? If blood is an issue, then the censorship should happen long ago when the site was first built. The rating of the site didn't change; the lore and backbone of the site didn't change; so what changed?

I do not want to see FR turning into a kid site, though I also understand not everyone has the stomach for blood. A filter system is definitely a good middle ground and can satisfy everyone and justify the teen-rating and the lore.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
Can't we have it be done this way:

No blood or gore on RoR accents and skins.(since those get seen in a news post they would be harder to hide from and in a site maintained contest thread).-I think some should be allowed here personally as well but none would be easier to manage than an "allowed" amount. Perhaps splatters to show it was from something else rather than the dragon?

Allowed blood or gore in USER paid for accents and skins. Anyone who wants one would be looking for it so wouldn't be bothered by it, and thread posts could warn in their title or have a sub-forum for blood/gore/horror themed accent sales.

Add a button on all dragons so at the users request they not appear in the Random Dragon thing on the front page. If you put on a bloody accent/skin then just click that button and nobody will accidentally see them without having to click through your lair.

Simple fix. Simple solution. Everyone wins. Coding for any of these wouldn't be that hard and it would only be forcing the rule on site sponsored skins.

(Personally- If it's allowed via R13 rating then it should be allowed here. There will ALWAYS be people with sensitivities and people who enjoy things that make other people uncomfortable, I hate spiders, I have a friend with a tarantula. I get nauseous about lots of plague things(hence myself not being IN plague). But my GF adores all that gross stuff. I find open wounds much more normal and less gross than what PlagueMother appears like. xD)

Outright banning is an extremist position. Period.
Can't we have it be done this way:

No blood or gore on RoR accents and skins.(since those get seen in a news post they would be harder to hide from and in a site maintained contest thread).-I think some should be allowed here personally as well but none would be easier to manage than an "allowed" amount. Perhaps splatters to show it was from something else rather than the dragon?

Allowed blood or gore in USER paid for accents and skins. Anyone who wants one would be looking for it so wouldn't be bothered by it, and thread posts could warn in their title or have a sub-forum for blood/gore/horror themed accent sales.

Add a button on all dragons so at the users request they not appear in the Random Dragon thing on the front page. If you put on a bloody accent/skin then just click that button and nobody will accidentally see them without having to click through your lair.

Simple fix. Simple solution. Everyone wins. Coding for any of these wouldn't be that hard and it would only be forcing the rule on site sponsored skins.

(Personally- If it's allowed via R13 rating then it should be allowed here. There will ALWAYS be people with sensitivities and people who enjoy things that make other people uncomfortable, I hate spiders, I have a friend with a tarantula. I get nauseous about lots of plague things(hence myself not being IN plague). But my GF adores all that gross stuff. I find open wounds much more normal and less gross than what PlagueMother appears like. xD)

Outright banning is an extremist position. Period.
banner_by_scarlit_of_aurora-d68nxtf.png
no support, dont forget, there are fairly young players, and some people dont like gore/blood, so FR's reputation would go down :T
no support, dont forget, there are fairly young players, and some people dont like gore/blood, so FR's reputation would go down :T
2bf1f31c-6fae-11e5-a77f-8d590f216e49.gif
I had made this on 7/11/2015
I obviously, do not edit this very often :P
https://discord.gg/nG5Ah4KpVR Please come and join us!
[quote name="Likewise" date=2015-10-08 22:54:34] [quote name="Jemadar" date=2015-10-08 17:37:43] [quote name="ChocoXCheese" date=2015-10-08 17:33:31] The "there is much more to plague than blood" rhetoric is so annoying and isn't even a valid argument. Yes, there is more to plague than blood. But blood is still an aspect of it that has existed on the site since it started. There's no reason for a feature of the flight to be suddenly banned. I mean, really, what's more grotesque: some blood, or the intestines sprawled about the egg nests and around the borders of the site? [/quote] The problem with that comparison is few people outside plague will see the border or the nests of plague more than once or twice, and typically infrequently. These skins, especially RoR ones, will be seen by, very likely, the majority of the site, just as custom skins and accents, while not as widely seen as the RoR skins, have the potential to be seen by many more people than those in Plague. Again, I don't call for an outright ban of blood, but I can see some limits being put into place (just not this strict of ones.) [/quote] If they don't want to see the skins, they're very easy to avoid. Simply don't click on the previews and don't go into threads where people are discussing them. Even in Dragon Share the theme of each thread is in the title. It's pretty unlikely anyone is gonna be blind sided by one of these skins. Full support, as always. [/quote] Actually custom skins are relatively easy to avoid. RoR skins not so much. Shortly after RoR there will most likely be, what, hundreds? thousands? of dragons with RoR skins, so they will be appearing everywhere. Someone makes a thread about Best Festival Skin (or Most liked), another user goes in to post their pretty arcane skin and the first thing they see is another user's favorite skin from RoR? Festival skins are typically everywhere after a festival because they are found in the treasure marketplace, they are 'functionally' unlimited (as in pretty much everyone who wants them can get as many copies as they want by the end), they are relatively cheap, and most people want skins to remind 'commemorate' the festival. Then there is another problem. RoR falls during Halloween. There are a great many people who love halloween, but don't like over the top gore etc.. Because halloween isn't JUST about the gore, you have cute witches, funny zombies, etc.. and not just for children. Sure, you have a lot of gore associated with it, but that isn't all it is. No, RoR isn't Halloween, but since it falls on Halloween and has similar themes, many people associate the two and want Halloween themed skins, but don't want gory ones, so, while they will skip the custom made skins, will want RoR festival skins to dress their dragons up. There is also the Random Dragon. With RoR skins (and in case you haven't noticed I am talking RoR skins ONLY, not custom) being everywhere during and shortly after the festival, they have a greater chance of appearing on the Random Dragon. I have advocated this in the past (like yesterday, but I think that thread was deleted because I can't find it anymore, and don't know if I put it any where else) and I notice another user touch upon this, but I think that FR could have two sets of rules. RoR rules are pretty much like they are now, maybe just a bit of blood allowed. Mainly for the reasons I stated above, they are seen by a much wider user base. I noticed people posting images of the nests for plague etc.. and truthfully, without those images being posted to a thread such as this (and even with it) few people outside plague would ever see those more than once or twice, and even then it would be infrequent. (there is a thread somewhere that shows the different nests, but last time I was there most of them didn't even load, and there might be a puzzle or two that shows the nest or other images from Plague) However, Custom Skins and accents, the ones that are sold through blueprints and for gems, would have looser standards (still Teen rated though) simply because as you said, those are easy to avoid. You can get what? 10 or 20 skins per blueprint? Which means that if you want more you need to buy more blueprints. That means that (and please someone correct me if I am wrong, I don't know how popular skins are so I don't know how many skins a particular artist is likely to sell of a particular skin) in general, perhaps 100 dragons will have a gory/bloody skin with an artist buying more blueprints (or being commissioned) to get to that amount. Now compare it to RoR skins with how many dragons wearing one? You can make a skin and accent in Baldwins. As many as you like really if you have the ingredients and time. You can buy the rest in the Marketplace, or AH after that, find several of them in the coli while grinding for currency. So yes, a regular custom skin doesn't need the limits an RoR skin might simply because they won't be seen by near as many players. Even players that might not participate in RoR would have a hard time avoiding all images from it. As I said, a player sees a thread about Favorite Festival Skins of the Year, goes to post their favorite from Nature, or Water, or Arcane, and there will be RoR skins there, sure they can just avoid the topic altogether, but that means they won't be able to show off their pretty dragons. And can you imagine if someone said Favorite festival skins of the year except RoR?
Likewise wrote on 2015-10-08:
Jemadar wrote on 2015-10-08:

If they don't want to see the skins, they're very easy to avoid. Simply don't click on the previews and don't go into threads where people are discussing them. Even in Dragon Share the theme of each thread is in the title. It's pretty unlikely anyone is gonna be blind sided by one of these skins.

Full support, as always.

Actually custom skins are relatively easy to avoid. RoR skins not so much. Shortly after RoR there will most likely be, what, hundreds? thousands? of dragons with RoR skins, so they will be appearing everywhere. Someone makes a thread about Best Festival Skin (or Most liked), another user goes in to post their pretty arcane skin and the first thing they see is another user's favorite skin from RoR? Festival skins are typically everywhere after a festival because they are found in the treasure marketplace, they are 'functionally' unlimited (as in pretty much everyone who wants them can get as many copies as they want by the end), they are relatively cheap, and most people want skins to remind 'commemorate' the festival.

Then there is another problem. RoR falls during Halloween. There are a great many people who love halloween, but don't like over the top gore etc.. Because halloween isn't JUST about the gore, you have cute witches, funny zombies, etc.. and not just for children. Sure, you have a lot of gore associated with it, but that isn't all it is. No, RoR isn't Halloween, but since it falls on Halloween and has similar themes, many people associate the two and want Halloween themed skins, but don't want gory ones, so, while they will skip the custom made skins, will want RoR festival skins to dress their dragons up.

There is also the Random Dragon. With RoR skins (and in case you haven't noticed I am talking RoR skins ONLY, not custom) being everywhere during and shortly after the festival, they have a greater chance of appearing on the Random Dragon.

I have advocated this in the past (like yesterday, but I think that thread was deleted because I can't find it anymore, and don't know if I put it any where else) and I notice another user touch upon this, but I think that FR could have two sets of rules.

RoR rules are pretty much like they are now, maybe just a bit of blood allowed. Mainly for the reasons I stated above, they are seen by a much wider user base. I noticed people posting images of the nests for plague etc.. and truthfully, without those images being posted to a thread such as this (and even with it) few people outside plague would ever see those more than once or twice, and even then it would be infrequent. (there is a thread somewhere that shows the different nests, but last time I was there most of them didn't even load, and there might be a puzzle or two that shows the nest or other images from Plague)

However, Custom Skins and accents, the ones that are sold through blueprints and for gems, would have looser standards (still Teen rated though) simply because as you said, those are easy to avoid. You can get what? 10 or 20 skins per blueprint? Which means that if you want more you need to buy more blueprints. That means that (and please someone correct me if I am wrong, I don't know how popular skins are so I don't know how many skins a particular artist is likely to sell of a particular skin) in general, perhaps 100 dragons will have a gory/bloody skin with an artist buying more blueprints (or being commissioned) to get to that amount. Now compare it to RoR skins with how many dragons wearing one? You can make a skin and accent in Baldwins. As many as you like really if you have the ingredients and time. You can buy the rest in the Marketplace, or AH after that, find several of them in the coli while grinding for currency.

So yes, a regular custom skin doesn't need the limits an RoR skin might simply because they won't be seen by near as many players. Even players that might not participate in RoR would have a hard time avoiding all images from it. As I said, a player sees a thread about Favorite Festival Skins of the Year, goes to post their favorite from Nature, or Water, or Arcane, and there will be RoR skins there, sure they can just avoid the topic altogether, but that means they won't be able to show off their pretty dragons. And can you imagine if someone said Favorite festival skins of the year except RoR?

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16