Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | I am INCREDIBLY unimpressed with
1 2 3 4 5
the wording for the Corsair set in that announcement.

In fact, no, I'm ANGRY about it.

The announcement made it sound as though the items were getting retired (and please don't nitpick about the word "cycle", there was NO indication it would come back in that announcement) and I only find out now from a friend later in the thread it was explained that they're just getting put away temporarily.

That was INCREDIBLY deceptive wording and I went and spent money on gems thinking it would be my last chance to get it.

But I guess that was the point, huh? Fool people into thinking they better scramble to get it NOW if they wanted it.

I hate to be this cynical but I'm rather irritated. I don't want to feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman when I'm donating money to this game in exchange for items. :|
the wording for the Corsair set in that announcement.

In fact, no, I'm ANGRY about it.

The announcement made it sound as though the items were getting retired (and please don't nitpick about the word "cycle", there was NO indication it would come back in that announcement) and I only find out now from a friend later in the thread it was explained that they're just getting put away temporarily.

That was INCREDIBLY deceptive wording and I went and spent money on gems thinking it would be my last chance to get it.

But I guess that was the point, huh? Fool people into thinking they better scramble to get it NOW if they wanted it.

I hate to be this cynical but I'm rather irritated. I don't want to feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman when I'm donating money to this game in exchange for items. :|
Δ KUJJm1Z.gif 6XeGCFj.gif Ω
I agree. It should have been worded better.
I agree. It should have been worded better.
~
Ah I befell to this as well and spent a large sum of treasure to get the gems for these items, since I too thought that they would be gone forever. To be honest, I had still thought that they were going to be gone forever until I stumbled upon this thread.

This does sort of seem to rub it in a little to all those who splurged for the items, and I do agree that it could have been worked better to avoid such a confusion but I guess what's done is done despite it all.
Ah I befell to this as well and spent a large sum of treasure to get the gems for these items, since I too thought that they would be gone forever. To be honest, I had still thought that they were going to be gone forever until I stumbled upon this thread.

This does sort of seem to rub it in a little to all those who splurged for the items, and I do agree that it could have been worked better to avoid such a confusion but I guess what's done is done despite it all.
J01BQWk.png
Windy Tun Adopts!

Doze
Adopts!
All Breeds
HCbYW4p.png

My Art
Shop
And
Commissions!
06i0PoE.png
I'm sure it was just an oversight. I highly doubt it was a scam to get you to buy gems.

I can see why you'd be mad though. I also got the impression it was retiring.
I'm sure it was just an oversight. I highly doubt it was a scam to get you to buy gems.

I can see why you'd be mad though. I also got the impression it was retiring.
ice_rune_50x50.png
@Rotring

Not like anyone would ever admit to it, but I HIGHLY doubt it, considering this is a business after all.

I mean I don't expect this game to run on farts and sunshine but a little honesty would be appreciated.

I'm inclined to disagree with you, on the basis I've seen things swept under the rug before, ie the Naga name change debacle.
@Rotring

Not like anyone would ever admit to it, but I HIGHLY doubt it, considering this is a business after all.

I mean I don't expect this game to run on farts and sunshine but a little honesty would be appreciated.

I'm inclined to disagree with you, on the basis I've seen things swept under the rug before, ie the Naga name change debacle.
Δ KUJJm1Z.gif 6XeGCFj.gif Ω
Well, maybe. I don't know.
That would take incredible audacity, though. And be counterproductive to their business.

People who get scammed aren't likely to buy gems ever again.
Well, maybe. I don't know.
That would take incredible audacity, though. And be counterproductive to their business.

People who get scammed aren't likely to buy gems ever again.
ice_rune_50x50.png
Cycle and retire have two very different meanings and to me I read it as a cycle, as in a cycle of items that will continue to circulate.

Everyone reads things from their own perspective and you don't always portray things as clearly as you meant to. I believe it was a mistake on wording, but I do not believe that the wording itself is deceptive, just not as emphasized as it should have been.

The earliest the items are to return is 2014, and I suspect it will be late 2014 or maybe not even then. It could be over a year before we see them again. If you hang onto the items for a couple of months hopefully you can get back the value you spent on them, and then some.
Cycle and retire have two very different meanings and to me I read it as a cycle, as in a cycle of items that will continue to circulate.

Everyone reads things from their own perspective and you don't always portray things as clearly as you meant to. I believe it was a mistake on wording, but I do not believe that the wording itself is deceptive, just not as emphasized as it should have been.

The earliest the items are to return is 2014, and I suspect it will be late 2014 or maybe not even then. It could be over a year before we see them again. If you hang onto the items for a couple of months hopefully you can get back the value you spent on them, and then some.
RBCsdS1.png oUnj1Rs.png
Eisen's Skins & Accents ... and Skincents!
The thing is, 'temporary' could mean anything. It could be a couple of months before we see them in the stores again or it could be literally years.

The second thing to keep in mind is that as someone said above, FR is a business. It's in their best interests for people to purchase gems in order to keep running and/or get paid. I don't think there was any malicious intent behind it, but they did mislead you or deliberately worded it as to seem as if the items were going to be gone forever.

Is it skeezy? Maybe! But that's life.
The thing is, 'temporary' could mean anything. It could be a couple of months before we see them in the stores again or it could be literally years.

The second thing to keep in mind is that as someone said above, FR is a business. It's in their best interests for people to purchase gems in order to keep running and/or get paid. I don't think there was any malicious intent behind it, but they did mislead you or deliberately worded it as to seem as if the items were going to be gone forever.

Is it skeezy? Maybe! But that's life.
If an item is retiring, we'll use the word retire. If an item is cycling, we use the word cycle. We did not want confusion; We like it when folks know what they're buying. :-) I am sorry if this was misleading. We tried to use the best word we could. The other wording option we could have used was "leaving" but we thought that "leaving" sounded a lot like retirement. Cycle implies that it's coming back, because that's how cycles work! (cycle = events that are regularly repeated in the same order.)

One more item added to the gem shop as it is now would put us at 5 pages of gem apparel, so we need to start cycling things out or we're going to end up with many more pages of gem apparel then regular apparel. (Since gem apparel is always in stock and treasure apparel is a random stock chance.)

We do retire items, and will announce them as being retired, not cycled. For reference here's a list of our retired items so far:

Items that are retired include:
  • Beta Familiar
  • Beta Skins
  • Beta Vista
  • Kickstarter Clockwork Chest Contents
  • Kickstarter Fiendish Chest Contents
  • Kickstarter Cloudy Chest Contents
  • Kickstarter Gilded Chest Contents
  • Kickstarter Skins
  • Imperial Scrolls
  • Light Sprite
  • Lightning Sprite
  • Fire Sprite
  • Light Contest Skins
  • Lightning Contest Skins
  • Fire Contest Skins
  • Red-Footed Akirbeak
  • Twice-Dyed Cowl
  • Speedy
If an item is retiring, we'll use the word retire. If an item is cycling, we use the word cycle. We did not want confusion; We like it when folks know what they're buying. :-) I am sorry if this was misleading. We tried to use the best word we could. The other wording option we could have used was "leaving" but we thought that "leaving" sounded a lot like retirement. Cycle implies that it's coming back, because that's how cycles work! (cycle = events that are regularly repeated in the same order.)

One more item added to the gem shop as it is now would put us at 5 pages of gem apparel, so we need to start cycling things out or we're going to end up with many more pages of gem apparel then regular apparel. (Since gem apparel is always in stock and treasure apparel is a random stock chance.)

We do retire items, and will announce them as being retired, not cycled. For reference here's a list of our retired items so far:

• Beta Familiar
  • Beta Skins
  • Beta Vista
  • Kickstarter Skins
  • Imperial Scrolls
  • Light Sprite
  • Lightning Sprite
  • Fire Sprite
  • Light Contest Skins
  • Fire Contest Skins
  • Red-Footed Akirbeak
  • Twice-Dyed Cowl
  • Speedy
[quote name="Undel" date="2013-09-08 03:06:13"]If an item is retiring, we'll use the word retire. If an item is cycling, we use the word cycle. We did not want confusion; We like it when folks know what they're buying. :-) I am sorry if this was misleading. We tried to use the best word we could. The other wording option we could have used was "leaving" but we thought that "leaving" sounded a lot like retirement. Cycle implies that it's coming back, because that's how cycles work! (cycle = events that are regularly repeated in the same order.) One more item added to the gem shop as it is now would put us at 5 pages of gem apparel, so we need to start cycling things out or we're going to end up with many more pages of gem apparel then regular apparel. (Since gem apparel is always in stock and treasure apparel is a random stock chance.) We do retire items, and will announce them as being retired, not cycled. For reference here's a list of our retired items so far: [b]Items that are retired include:[/b] [LIST] [*]Beta Familiar [*]Beta Skins [*]Beta Vista [*]Kickstarter Clockwork Chest Contents [*]Kickstarter Fiendish Chest Contents [*]Kickstarter Cloudy Chest Contents [*]Kickstarter Gilded Chest Contents [*]Kickstarter Skins [*]Imperial Scrolls [*]Light Sprite [*]Lightning Sprite [*]Fire Sprite [*]Light Contest Skins [*]Lightning Contest Skins [*]Fire Contest Skins [/LIST][/quote] [color=green]Drat. Should've stockpiled more sprites...
Undel wrote on 2013-09-08 03:06:13:

• Beta Familiar
  • Beta Skins
  • Beta Vista
  • Kickstarter Skins
  • Imperial Scrolls
  • Light Sprite
  • Lightning Sprite
  • Fire Sprite
  • Light Contest Skins
  • Fire Contest Skins

Drat. Should've stockpiled more sprites...
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
1 2 3 4 5