Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Bird People
1 2 3 4
DUDE. Un-capes are freaking awesome! I've only ever seen them in person twice; they are amazing birds! I will post more later, but this is my baby! [img]http://i.imgur.com/mFWAZYUl.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/eiudHxWl.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/bhqG9Bkl.jpg[/img] Photos courtesy of SageKorppi! He's a 9 year old Moluccan Cockatoo named Cielo. :>
DUDE. Un-capes are freaking awesome! I've only ever seen them in person twice; they are amazing birds!

I will post more later, but this is my baby!

mFWAZYUl.jpg
eiudHxWl.jpg
bhqG9Bkl.jpg
Photos courtesy of SageKorppi!

He's a 9 year old Moluccan Cockatoo named Cielo. :>
ornithology, birding, aviculture, and museums
@Lanius Oh my gosh what a beautiful boy! I'm so glad you love your bird so much!

I've had three budgies over the years, all boys, all blue color morphs. Tweety, Apollo and Mr. Lulu. They've all passed away. I lost Tweety when he was pretty young because he got an infection in his lung infection that we didn't catch until it was too late. Apollo and Mr. Lulu passed of old age, though I don't know exactly how old they where since I got them as rescues.

I volunteer at a parrot rescue when I'm not away at school. They have about 80 birds there with all sorts of conures, amazons, macaws, cockatoos and everything in between. It's sad to see how many homeless birds there are but I love spending time with them and trying to help them be more social so they can find a good home. I can't have a bid of my own until a long time from now because the dorm I live in is no pets allowed, plus I need enough money saved up so I can afford any sudden medical treatments they might need, so the shelter birds are enough for now.
@Lanius Oh my gosh what a beautiful boy! I'm so glad you love your bird so much!

I've had three budgies over the years, all boys, all blue color morphs. Tweety, Apollo and Mr. Lulu. They've all passed away. I lost Tweety when he was pretty young because he got an infection in his lung infection that we didn't catch until it was too late. Apollo and Mr. Lulu passed of old age, though I don't know exactly how old they where since I got them as rescues.

I volunteer at a parrot rescue when I'm not away at school. They have about 80 birds there with all sorts of conures, amazons, macaws, cockatoos and everything in between. It's sad to see how many homeless birds there are but I love spending time with them and trying to help them be more social so they can find a good home. I can't have a bid of my own until a long time from now because the dorm I live in is no pets allowed, plus I need enough money saved up so I can afford any sudden medical treatments they might need, so the shelter birds are enough for now.
bonsai_princessparrot_1_by_auricolor-dap3vba.png
@Trainwreck
That's so nice you volunteer! Thank you for helping out these birds and rescues, they can get so overwhelmed.

@Lanius
He's gorgeous. He looks very peaceful and calm in those pictures too.
(I like your tree as well, I wish the blossom types did better in my area.)
@Trainwreck
That's so nice you volunteer! Thank you for helping out these birds and rescues, they can get so overwhelmed.

@Lanius
He's gorgeous. He looks very peaceful and calm in those pictures too.
(I like your tree as well, I wish the blossom types did better in my area.)
@Archaeopteryx DID SOMEONE SAY BIRDS??
@Archaeopteryx DID SOMEONE SAY BIRDS??
c339f747e4665c56ca81426fd42eb471.pngtDeKDnH.pngfire_rune_50x50.pngwind_rune_50x50.pngice_rune_50x50.png4ObvARi.png
my favorite bird is the turkey though. Maybe a macac too
my favorite bird is the turkey though. Maybe a macac too
m2YbpzO.png tumblr_inline_o0idl15pQv1qg2i5p_540.png
ok so i don't own a bird but i just need to get this off my chest
i'm not gonna lie to y'all when I saw a thread titled "bird people" i immediately thought that this was a thread meant to discuss actual bird people. like some sort of weird bird/human hybrid. when i realized that was not actually the case i felt more than a little dumb and only slightly disappointed.

but hey there's lots of pictures of cute birbs here so that's even better.

carry on.
i'm not gonna lie to y'all when I saw a thread titled "bird people" i immediately thought that this was a thread meant to discuss actual bird people. like some sort of weird bird/human hybrid. when i realized that was not actually the case i felt more than a little dumb and only slightly disappointed.

but hey there's lots of pictures of cute birbs here so that's even better.

carry on.
ixjkP7a.pngUxUDJDh.png4x1CPHD.png
I am an ex-bird owner and I miss my feathered babies dearly.

I have owned ducks before but they were not my thing, so we rehomed them to a guy who still has them and uses them as egg layers(duck eggs are 1000% better for you than a chicken egg).

then we got an African grey parrot. his name was Gizmo. he came from a family who had to rehome him due to sudden allergy attacks from his feather(greys are awfully powdery birds). he knew a lot of things and warmed up to my mom, but hated men due to an accident a long time back where a guy pulled his head through the bars of his cage by accident.

after a while we rehomed him to a nice lady who had 7 other greys, all DNA tested females. he is currently living the high life with one particular girl who he bonded with. the two are inseparable and its really awesome to see him spend time with other birds like him and be happy.

the lady gave us in return four baby lovebirds...

they were cute and all but once they got older they were no longer friendly and would try and kill you.

two of them bonded and started...doing lovebird things...so we made them a nestbox and had a clutch of five eggs. all eggs hatched and I got the experience of hand raising them up tiny pink blobs to gorgeous sleek lovebirds. of course the minute they could fly they hated my guts forever(I really don't know where I went wrong with them, if anybody knows could they explain?).

I rehomed them due to the noise they made(they were constantly screaming at each other across the house). all are now happy with a lovebird breeder who has paired them all off with unrelated birds.

if I got another bird it would be an African grey that I raised from a baby on up so it bonded to me and would not resent me like Gizmo did.

the little birds are cute but I LOVED Gizmo, he talked and played and did cool things, plus, he did not scream(African greys don't naturally scream, they grunt like a pig, they often scream if kept around another species of bird they screams, Gizmo did an oven timer beep for a scream).

right now reptiles(primarily snakes) are the main part of my life so a bird is out of the question right now. my dad is also working a night schedule and he cant sleep with any noise in the house, meaning if I did get a bird it would have to be 95% silent, which is not what I want(noisy birds are fine by me lol).

but yay bird peoples!
I am an ex-bird owner and I miss my feathered babies dearly.

I have owned ducks before but they were not my thing, so we rehomed them to a guy who still has them and uses them as egg layers(duck eggs are 1000% better for you than a chicken egg).

then we got an African grey parrot. his name was Gizmo. he came from a family who had to rehome him due to sudden allergy attacks from his feather(greys are awfully powdery birds). he knew a lot of things and warmed up to my mom, but hated men due to an accident a long time back where a guy pulled his head through the bars of his cage by accident.

after a while we rehomed him to a nice lady who had 7 other greys, all DNA tested females. he is currently living the high life with one particular girl who he bonded with. the two are inseparable and its really awesome to see him spend time with other birds like him and be happy.

the lady gave us in return four baby lovebirds...

they were cute and all but once they got older they were no longer friendly and would try and kill you.

two of them bonded and started...doing lovebird things...so we made them a nestbox and had a clutch of five eggs. all eggs hatched and I got the experience of hand raising them up tiny pink blobs to gorgeous sleek lovebirds. of course the minute they could fly they hated my guts forever(I really don't know where I went wrong with them, if anybody knows could they explain?).

I rehomed them due to the noise they made(they were constantly screaming at each other across the house). all are now happy with a lovebird breeder who has paired them all off with unrelated birds.

if I got another bird it would be an African grey that I raised from a baby on up so it bonded to me and would not resent me like Gizmo did.

the little birds are cute but I LOVED Gizmo, he talked and played and did cool things, plus, he did not scream(African greys don't naturally scream, they grunt like a pig, they often scream if kept around another species of bird they screams, Gizmo did an oven timer beep for a scream).

right now reptiles(primarily snakes) are the main part of my life so a bird is out of the question right now. my dad is also working a night schedule and he cant sleep with any noise in the house, meaning if I did get a bird it would have to be 95% silent, which is not what I want(noisy birds are fine by me lol).

but yay bird peoples!
[quote name="Katasaur" date=2015-05-07 17:21:38] ok so i don't own a bird but i just need to get this off my chest i'm not gonna lie to y'all when I saw a thread titled "bird people" i immediately thought that this was a thread meant to discuss actual bird people. [/quote] My first thought was "bird people, or bieple..." Anyways, I myself have a 10-or-so year old Blue Crowned Conure named Magoo, and he is adorable. I have pictures somewhere that I'll show you guys. Also, does anyone know good bird cage companies? I have to replace his soon (he's moving into my room and I need to get a slightly smaller size). I'm looking at a King's cage because that's what I have now but if anyone had suggestions that would be rad. @Lanius HE IS ADORABLE. Seriously I love cockatoos they are sweethearts. How did you train him to stay buy you outside? I've seen bird owners do it frequently but the idea makes me nervous.
Katasaur wrote on 2015-05-07:
i'm not gonna lie to y'all when I saw a thread titled "bird people" i immediately thought that this was a thread meant to discuss actual bird people.

My first thought was "bird people, or bieple..."

Anyways, I myself have a 10-or-so year old Blue Crowned Conure named Magoo, and he is adorable. I have pictures somewhere that I'll show you guys.

Also, does anyone know good bird cage companies? I have to replace his soon (he's moving into my room and I need to get a slightly smaller size). I'm looking at a King's cage because that's what I have now but if anyone had suggestions that would be rad.

@Lanius

HE IS ADORABLE. Seriously I love cockatoos they are sweethearts.
How did you train him to stay buy you outside? I've seen bird owners do it frequently but the idea makes me nervous.
Crackling_Silver.png
@Rifka

Sorry for the delay!
I used to professionally train birds for flight, but there are definitely risks to flying your bird. Cielo is kind of a slug; he used to be very uncomfortable flying, so it has taken a HUGE amount of work getting him comfortable enough to fly on his own. Even still, given the opportunity to fly now, he would much rather stick with people. :P
@Rifka

Sorry for the delay!
I used to professionally train birds for flight, but there are definitely risks to flying your bird. Cielo is kind of a slug; he used to be very uncomfortable flying, so it has taken a HUGE amount of work getting him comfortable enough to fly on his own. Even still, given the opportunity to fly now, he would much rather stick with people. :P
ornithology, birding, aviculture, and museums
!! birb thread!

i have a looot of birds. a lot. (as in, one green-winged macaw, two double yellow headed amazons, two indian ringnecks, a budgie, three finches, so on) and i volunteer at our local bird sanctuary regularly. i really likes birds ;v; they're big sweethearts, generally.

unless they wake you up by screaming at you when it's 3am
!! birb thread!

i have a looot of birds. a lot. (as in, one green-winged macaw, two double yellow headed amazons, two indian ringnecks, a budgie, three finches, so on) and i volunteer at our local bird sanctuary regularly. i really likes birds ;v; they're big sweethearts, generally.

unless they wake you up by screaming at you when it's 3am
V4hrJKR.png
1 2 3 4