Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Looking for Subspecies/Hatchery advice
So I just opened my first Subspecies Hatchery for a subspecies I came up with. So far... it hasn't gotten any attention. I've even designed my own banners for it. I don't know where I should go to find people who are interested in being affiliates, buyers, or collaborators. What should I do?

(Hatchery Link is in my forum signature)
So I just opened my first Subspecies Hatchery for a subspecies I came up with. So far... it hasn't gotten any attention. I've even designed my own banners for it. I don't know where I should go to find people who are interested in being affiliates, buyers, or collaborators. What should I do?

(Hatchery Link is in my forum signature)
FR+0 | Bi | ADHD
This lair's lore is a work in progress!
please help me
please help me
FR+0 | Bi | ADHD
@Bledout Hi! I've been co-running a [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/baz/2739514]themed hatchery[/url] for over a year now, so I hope I can be of assistance. Do note that [url=https://flightrising.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005262326-Spam]bumping[/url] isn't allowed in Help Center, and it's not necessary if you're already at the top of the first page. As a rule of thumb, selling dragons above fodder price is always a test of patience vs. profit. Your dragons are competing with every other dragon on the market, and whether or not something sells is entirely dependent on how willing any given person is to pay the given price for any particular dragon. Given the wide variety of users vs. the sheer amount of dragons available, it's stiff competition. In short, it's not a guarantee, and it's certainly not fast. Lair space is expensive, so players generally need to decide whether they want [i]your[/i] dragon more than the potential for any [i]other[/i] dragon they could buy. That's not to say that your dragons aren't worth the price, but rather, how long are you willing to wait for someone who's willing to pay it? But more importantly, don't be discouraged by the lack of immediate business; you only started your thread yesterday, after all. I've had hatchery dragons sit in my lair for a month or more before selling, and we didn't get those names on our pinglists overnight. Even when you do everything right, some things just take time. When it comes to affiliates, it's generally as easy as finding another hatchery/subspecies you like and asking politely. It's a no-go if they specify "we're not accepting affiliates," but otherwise, it can't hurt to ask. When you do, be sure to include a link to your hatchery! Some general tips for hatchery-running; [list] [*]The most important things for forum sales are clarity & accessibility. The harder it is for someone to find your thread, read the relevant information, and find the dragons you're selling (let alone buy them), the more likely they are to leave without bothering to do any of that. Scrutinize your thread for any unnecessary fluff, and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2235393]polish up any code[/url] you can think of to make things easy to read and easy to navigate. [*]In terms of readability, I recommend adjusting the size & font coding on the "Pairs" and "Lore" sections, specifically. Small text can be difficult to read for many people, especially in serif fonts and grouped into homogenous chunks. Try upping the size of the main text, and make the subtype titles even larger. Be careful with text colors, as well; if they're too light, people won't be able to see them at all.[list] [*]Many subspecies threads include images of dragons that would qualify for each subtype in their descriptions, so those interested in the lore will know exactly what they're getting. Consider adding visual aids where you can for maximum advertising![/list] [*]Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but how exactly does your pricing work? I can see the listed ranges in Pairs, and I'm guessing that the "PING TO BUY" dragons are being leveled as potential fodder, but it took me way too long to even see the price ranges in the first place. For example, Demon Summoner's "10-50kt" price range doesn't help me figure out what I should be prepared to spend if I'm waiting for the next hatch, and that kind of uncertainty can be a turn-off. What separates a 10kt dragon from a 50kt one? Is it a sliding scale, where a dragon might be listed for 25kt, or is it either/or? Pre-emptively clarifying questions like these will make it easier for your buyers to make a decision. [*]A small tip: I recommend listing your dragons for Gems instead of Treasure. Gems are in high demand, and people can ping you if they want to pay in Treasure. It also avoids the sales tax, and you can trade Gems for Treasure in Items for Sale if you need it. There's no "set" G:T ratio, but the current going rate is hovering around 1 Gem for 1,300 Treasure.[/list] I hope this was helpful to you. Good luck with your hatchery! [emoji=new friend]
@Bledout

Hi! I've been co-running a themed hatchery for over a year now, so I hope I can be of assistance. Do note that bumping isn't allowed in Help Center, and it's not necessary if you're already at the top of the first page.

As a rule of thumb, selling dragons above fodder price is always a test of patience vs. profit. Your dragons are competing with every other dragon on the market, and whether or not something sells is entirely dependent on how willing any given person is to pay the given price for any particular dragon. Given the wide variety of users vs. the sheer amount of dragons available, it's stiff competition.

In short, it's not a guarantee, and it's certainly not fast. Lair space is expensive, so players generally need to decide whether they want your dragon more than the potential for any other dragon they could buy. That's not to say that your dragons aren't worth the price, but rather, how long are you willing to wait for someone who's willing to pay it?

But more importantly, don't be discouraged by the lack of immediate business; you only started your thread yesterday, after all. I've had hatchery dragons sit in my lair for a month or more before selling, and we didn't get those names on our pinglists overnight. Even when you do everything right, some things just take time.

When it comes to affiliates, it's generally as easy as finding another hatchery/subspecies you like and asking politely. It's a no-go if they specify "we're not accepting affiliates," but otherwise, it can't hurt to ask. When you do, be sure to include a link to your hatchery!

Some general tips for hatchery-running;
  • The most important things for forum sales are clarity & accessibility. The harder it is for someone to find your thread, read the relevant information, and find the dragons you're selling (let alone buy them), the more likely they are to leave without bothering to do any of that. Scrutinize your thread for any unnecessary fluff, and polish up any code you can think of to make things easy to read and easy to navigate.
  • In terms of readability, I recommend adjusting the size & font coding on the "Pairs" and "Lore" sections, specifically. Small text can be difficult to read for many people, especially in serif fonts and grouped into homogenous chunks. Try upping the size of the main text, and make the subtype titles even larger. Be careful with text colors, as well; if they're too light, people won't be able to see them at all.
    • Many subspecies threads include images of dragons that would qualify for each subtype in their descriptions, so those interested in the lore will know exactly what they're getting. Consider adding visual aids where you can for maximum advertising!
  • Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but how exactly does your pricing work? I can see the listed ranges in Pairs, and I'm guessing that the "PING TO BUY" dragons are being leveled as potential fodder, but it took me way too long to even see the price ranges in the first place.

For example, Demon Summoner's "10-50kt" price range doesn't help me figure out what I should be prepared to spend if I'm waiting for the next hatch, and that kind of uncertainty can be a turn-off. What separates a 10kt dragon from a 50kt one? Is it a sliding scale, where a dragon might be listed for 25kt, or is it either/or? Pre-emptively clarifying questions like these will make it easier for your buyers to make a decision.
  • A small tip: I recommend listing your dragons for Gems instead of Treasure. Gems are in high demand, and people can ping you if they want to pay in Treasure. It also avoids the sales tax, and you can trade Gems for Treasure in Items for Sale if you need it. There's no "set" G:T ratio, but the current going rate is hovering around 1 Gem for 1,300 Treasure.
I hope this was helpful to you. Good luck with your hatchery!
XNtD94z.png

-
Robin Nightmares
they/them/theirs | FR Time +0

+[Wasteland Radio Hatchery]+
-
-
feleV0g.png PmVLgRx.png
-
@NightmareJudge
This definitely was helpful, thank you so much!
@NightmareJudge
This definitely was helpful, thank you so much!
FR+0 | Bi | ADHD