Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | [Answered very well---thank you all!]
1 2
I see the terms "XXX", "YYY", "XYZ", and "Triple Gened" thrown around a lot.

Can someone give me the basic definition of what they mean?
I see the terms "XXX", "YYY", "XYZ", and "Triple Gened" thrown around a lot.

Can someone give me the basic definition of what they mean?
1584_350px_staarman_by_miirshroom-dce92t5.png
Moony / they/him / +3
I'm currently checking interest in my art and I think my hatchery will (hopefully) reopen later this year! Please check back for their links later.
@xXMonstaerXx The XYX, etc is due to colors matching. Such as XXY would be obsidian/obsidian/any XYY would be any/Obsidian/Obsidian. XYZ would refer to any/any/any but no doubles. The obsidian is just an example

Triple gened means that it has three genes, such as iridescent/shimmer/glimmer. Any mix of available genes qualifies for this. :)
@xXMonstaerXx The XYX, etc is due to colors matching. Such as XXY would be obsidian/obsidian/any XYY would be any/Obsidian/Obsidian. XYZ would refer to any/any/any but no doubles. The obsidian is just an example

Triple gened means that it has three genes, such as iridescent/shimmer/glimmer. Any mix of available genes qualifies for this. :)
@QyetLady

Thanks for the help! (It was really confusing me, I always thought XXX, XXY, etc. was always referring to genes...)

Do you know if there's a third gene for Cherub/Seraph?
@QyetLady

Thanks for the help! (It was really confusing me, I always thought XXX, XXY, etc. was always referring to genes...)

Do you know if there's a third gene for Cherub/Seraph?
Moony / they/him / +3
I'm currently checking interest in my art and I think my hatchery will (hopefully) reopen later this year! Please check back for their links later.
@xXMonstaerXx I don't think so, but there are many standalone tertiary genes as well. About the only thing I can think of is perhaps the newest tert gene, contour may be meant in that particular accenting role? :) But there's new genes added as the site continues to grow, so who knows what's possible in the future? ^_^
@xXMonstaerXx I don't think so, but there are many standalone tertiary genes as well. About the only thing I can think of is perhaps the newest tert gene, contour may be meant in that particular accenting role? :) But there's new genes added as the site continues to grow, so who knows what's possible in the future? ^_^
@QyetLady

Thank you again---so I guess a Cherub/Seraph is XX then?...
They should add in a gene called "Pious" or something to make it XXX
@QyetLady

Thank you again---so I guess a Cherub/Seraph is XX then?...
They should add in a gene called "Pious" or something to make it XXX
Moony / they/him / +3
@xXMonstaerXx

That would be kinda neat, but as QyetLady mentioned, XXX/XYX/XYZ are more short hand for colors (matching or not) rather than genes.
@xXMonstaerXx

That would be kinda neat, but as QyetLady mentioned, XXX/XYX/XYZ are more short hand for colors (matching or not) rather than genes.
..........................................................~FR+1~
Mod Tip: Site bugging out? Clear your cache. :)
Volunteer Moderator: If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising team, not the volunteer moderator group.
GnWIkP6.gif
@xXMonstaerXx Genes are a whole separate thing from X's and Y's, which refer to colors!

XXY means the primary and secondary color are the same, such as Red/Red/Blue.
XYX means the primary and tertiary color are the same, such as Red/Blue/Red.
XYY means the secondary and tertiary color are the same, such as Red/Blue/Blue.
XXX means all three colors are the same, aka. a 'triple', such as Red/Red/Red. (This is not the same thing as Triple Gened.)
XYZ means all three colors are different, such as Red/Blue/Yellow.
@xXMonstaerXx Genes are a whole separate thing from X's and Y's, which refer to colors!

XXY means the primary and secondary color are the same, such as Red/Red/Blue.
XYX means the primary and tertiary color are the same, such as Red/Blue/Red.
XYY means the secondary and tertiary color are the same, such as Red/Blue/Blue.
XXX means all three colors are the same, aka. a 'triple', such as Red/Red/Red. (This is not the same thing as Triple Gened.)
XYZ means all three colors are different, such as Red/Blue/Yellow.
@ACWN

Ah, I've come to notice that!
It would be neat, but gene XXX, etc. and color XXX, etc. would probably get mixed up quite often!
(Unless the gene counterpart is like AAA, BBB, or ABC...)

@Cynictis

Thank you for the help! (Those little examples really clicked!)
@ACWN

Ah, I've come to notice that!
It would be neat, but gene XXX, etc. and color XXX, etc. would probably get mixed up quite often!
(Unless the gene counterpart is like AAA, BBB, or ABC...)

@Cynictis

Thank you for the help! (Those little examples really clicked!)
Moony / they/him / +3
@xXMonstaerXx Instead of X's and Y's, matching gene sets, especially the more popular ones, usually get nicknames such as 'Irishim' for Iridescent/Shimmer, 'Cryface' for Crystal/Facet, or 'PetButt' (lol) for Petals/Butterfly.

There aren't really any truly matching tert genes, though, except for maybe Glimmer (since a lot of people used to complain that Underbelly looked too flat with Iridescent or Crystal). There are more neutral ones that can work with just about any gene combo, and then there are some busy ones like Crackle that need more careful planning to pull off.
@xXMonstaerXx Instead of X's and Y's, matching gene sets, especially the more popular ones, usually get nicknames such as 'Irishim' for Iridescent/Shimmer, 'Cryface' for Crystal/Facet, or 'PetButt' (lol) for Petals/Butterfly.

There aren't really any truly matching tert genes, though, except for maybe Glimmer (since a lot of people used to complain that Underbelly looked too flat with Iridescent or Crystal). There are more neutral ones that can work with just about any gene combo, and then there are some busy ones like Crackle that need more careful planning to pull off.
@xXMonstaerXx

Most people don't use XXX/XXY/XYX/XXY for genes, but for colors. Genes, like Cynictis stated, are just abbreviated.
@xXMonstaerXx

Most people don't use XXX/XXY/XYX/XXY for genes, but for colors. Genes, like Cynictis stated, are just abbreviated.
1313.png39dkph.gif
Missing Familiars..........Raffle!..........
1 2