Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | DnD character creation
1 2
Dumb stuff, but I just wanted to vent some quiet concerns I've been having, and I didn't want anyone from the respective DnD groups to find this or feel bad about it, so posting here.

Whenever I join into a new DnD group, I'm typically the last to pick a character. The first time, I was completely new, the other two members picked a tank and DPS, so I was like, "Oh, it looks like I have to pick a support class. I know bards have healing spells, so we can have a rounded group." But then the DM said something like, "Typically you have a cleric in a group, but having a non-conventional group can be fun." I didn't know that bard is not the ideal healer, and isn't really that good in reviving others like clerics do. Knowing that, I probably would have dual-classed later as a cleric to compensate.

The group ended prematurely, and then we started a different group. Again, I couldn't get to character creation, as I was busy the first session. But all 4 of the other players picked non-support classes. Again, I felt forced into picking a cleric class. This game also ended prematurely due to the DM not being able to commit time.

For each group, I feel like it would be unfair that everyone else would be able to freely choose whatever class they want, and the last player would be unintentionally or intentionally pressured into playing cleric. There's an upcoming DnD game that one of my coworkers may be starting, and I have reservations about whether I'll be unable to pick whatever I want. I'm still quite new to the game, since I only got a few sessions out of each of the above arcs. How are problems like these resolved, and how should I handle the situation? Even if I do get free reign by getting to choose a character first, wouldn't I just be perpetuating the same pressures onto the last person who gets to pick, too?
Dumb stuff, but I just wanted to vent some quiet concerns I've been having, and I didn't want anyone from the respective DnD groups to find this or feel bad about it, so posting here.

Whenever I join into a new DnD group, I'm typically the last to pick a character. The first time, I was completely new, the other two members picked a tank and DPS, so I was like, "Oh, it looks like I have to pick a support class. I know bards have healing spells, so we can have a rounded group." But then the DM said something like, "Typically you have a cleric in a group, but having a non-conventional group can be fun." I didn't know that bard is not the ideal healer, and isn't really that good in reviving others like clerics do. Knowing that, I probably would have dual-classed later as a cleric to compensate.

The group ended prematurely, and then we started a different group. Again, I couldn't get to character creation, as I was busy the first session. But all 4 of the other players picked non-support classes. Again, I felt forced into picking a cleric class. This game also ended prematurely due to the DM not being able to commit time.

For each group, I feel like it would be unfair that everyone else would be able to freely choose whatever class they want, and the last player would be unintentionally or intentionally pressured into playing cleric. There's an upcoming DnD game that one of my coworkers may be starting, and I have reservations about whether I'll be unable to pick whatever I want. I'm still quite new to the game, since I only got a few sessions out of each of the above arcs. How are problems like these resolved, and how should I handle the situation? Even if I do get free reign by getting to choose a character first, wouldn't I just be perpetuating the same pressures onto the last person who gets to pick, too?
QYUld8p.png
I completely get what you mean. I've only made a character for a whole new campaign a handful of times, most of the time when I join a group they already have established roles so I feel like I'd be rude if I didn't choose something they were lacking. But they've never made me feel that way, that was just a pressure I was putting on myself.

I think the only thing for it honestly is to try to communicate with the group, and feel out what everybody's thoughts are on roles. Because sometimes people really are okay with a non-traditional party where more than one person can be whatever role. I've played campaigns with all damage dealers and no healers and it was actually really fun. It just depends on what people want and are willing to work around.

Also what's helped me in this kind of situation is having a couple different character ideas going in, so that way I don't ever feel disappointed (for lack of a better word) because I already have fun ideas for a few roles. But if you don't want to play a certain specific class at all I think that's fair too and you shouldn't feel pressured into anything you wouldn't have fun playing. Because the whole point is to have fun!! Just make it known that you don't want to play that class, or role, or whatever else. And there shouldn't be hard feelings about it from anyone in the group honestly, because again, the whole point is for everybody to have fun.

Sorry for rambling, I hope this all makes sense lol
I completely get what you mean. I've only made a character for a whole new campaign a handful of times, most of the time when I join a group they already have established roles so I feel like I'd be rude if I didn't choose something they were lacking. But they've never made me feel that way, that was just a pressure I was putting on myself.

I think the only thing for it honestly is to try to communicate with the group, and feel out what everybody's thoughts are on roles. Because sometimes people really are okay with a non-traditional party where more than one person can be whatever role. I've played campaigns with all damage dealers and no healers and it was actually really fun. It just depends on what people want and are willing to work around.

Also what's helped me in this kind of situation is having a couple different character ideas going in, so that way I don't ever feel disappointed (for lack of a better word) because I already have fun ideas for a few roles. But if you don't want to play a certain specific class at all I think that's fair too and you shouldn't feel pressured into anything you wouldn't have fun playing. Because the whole point is to have fun!! Just make it known that you don't want to play that class, or role, or whatever else. And there shouldn't be hard feelings about it from anyone in the group honestly, because again, the whole point is for everybody to have fun.

Sorry for rambling, I hope this all makes sense lol
espeon.gif
I think it's fine to say to the group (or just the DM if you don't know who else you'll be playing with) something like "Hey just so you know, I played support the last two games I was in, can I play <preferred role> this time?" Even before the character creation session. As you've noticed, cleric isn't a popular class to play so hopefully the other players will be empathetic to the feeling of getting stuck playing it.

Also, in all the games I've ever played and DM'd, none had a cleric. Several had support classes like paladin and bard, but those were chosen because the players wanted to play those classes, not because they felt forced into it (my last game had two bards, a paladin, and an artificer.) If you're worried, you can ask the DM whether this group is going to be more focused on combat and mechanics or roleplay. If it isn't going to be combat focused, then your party might be more open to silly party setups like five wizards.
I think it's fine to say to the group (or just the DM if you don't know who else you'll be playing with) something like "Hey just so you know, I played support the last two games I was in, can I play <preferred role> this time?" Even before the character creation session. As you've noticed, cleric isn't a popular class to play so hopefully the other players will be empathetic to the feeling of getting stuck playing it.

Also, in all the games I've ever played and DM'd, none had a cleric. Several had support classes like paladin and bard, but those were chosen because the players wanted to play those classes, not because they felt forced into it (my last game had two bards, a paladin, and an artificer.) If you're worried, you can ask the DM whether this group is going to be more focused on combat and mechanics or roleplay. If it isn't going to be combat focused, then your party might be more open to silly party setups like five wizards.
ngl, your dm should compensate for lacking a certain type of character. let people play what they want to play and compensate for no healer or no tank or etc by having an npc fill the gap OR giving you items.
ngl, your dm should compensate for lacking a certain type of character. let people play what they want to play and compensate for no healer or no tank or etc by having an npc fill the gap OR giving you items.
16453.png16479.png16477.png16454.png
NOTE: my username is quinceLy, not quincy/quincey --- den/lair cleanout!!
The paradox of clerics in D&D is that if you're using your spell slots on healing, something has gone drastically wrong. Clerics are one of the best DPS classes in the game, and if you're doing any additional healing beyond throwing a Healing Word at the guy who just failed two death saves, you are not playing optimally.

Play whatever character you want, OP. If that means the party has no healing, so be it--getting the party some healing potions is now the DM's problem, and if they aren't willing to do that, they're not a good DM. However, just off the top of my head, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, certain Monk classes, certain Warlocks, probably some sorcerers, and Bard all have healing access within the first few levels. 5e is very, very kind with healing out of combat, so in-combat healing is largely a bonus.
The paradox of clerics in D&D is that if you're using your spell slots on healing, something has gone drastically wrong. Clerics are one of the best DPS classes in the game, and if you're doing any additional healing beyond throwing a Healing Word at the guy who just failed two death saves, you are not playing optimally.

Play whatever character you want, OP. If that means the party has no healing, so be it--getting the party some healing potions is now the DM's problem, and if they aren't willing to do that, they're not a good DM. However, just off the top of my head, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, certain Monk classes, certain Warlocks, probably some sorcerers, and Bard all have healing access within the first few levels. 5e is very, very kind with healing out of combat, so in-combat healing is largely a bonus.
An Ice emblem on a background made of ice and lava. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground.An Ice emblem on a background of ice shaped like a Christmas ornament. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground."An
Thanks for all the tips! I really appreciate the input!

The worry is always "if someone dies, what do we do, now?" but I understand now that there's always an in-game option to take the body to a cleric NPC. Communication is also a big must in better understanding the DM's capabilities and seeing how I can work together with my future parties.

The reason I worried about balancing issues is because I've heard many a tale of the dreaded "DMPC," which I'm also wary of causing. Further, potions are quite expensive, given the amount of health they actually bestow. It's not that I dislike playing cleric. I just don't like if it continually becomes my "best option" if I want to contribute optimally to the party. I don't like letting everyone down!
Thanks for all the tips! I really appreciate the input!

The worry is always "if someone dies, what do we do, now?" but I understand now that there's always an in-game option to take the body to a cleric NPC. Communication is also a big must in better understanding the DM's capabilities and seeing how I can work together with my future parties.

The reason I worried about balancing issues is because I've heard many a tale of the dreaded "DMPC," which I'm also wary of causing. Further, potions are quite expensive, given the amount of health they actually bestow. It's not that I dislike playing cleric. I just don't like if it continually becomes my "best option" if I want to contribute optimally to the party. I don't like letting everyone down!
QYUld8p.png
I agree with the others!

The DM has to be able to say something. Like, "Hey, you should really have one support/ Hey, someone maybe wanna spec differently?" and coordinate. OR an example that has been named: The DM has an NPC for that.

When our group, consisting complety of first timers, started two years ago, we picked what we wanted. No one thought of "group dynamics" or smth.
Two tanks, rest of us DPS. Even though I have my bard, that is absolutely 0% support specc.
And it works. First we met a witch, who provisioned us with divers potions and herbs for doing some side tasks for her.
Then we had the "Innkeeper" conviniently placed everytime.

And with growth and time it got less, but we leveld up, my bard has one healing spell, one member died and "came back" as a full-on-healing-and-support-you-bard, and then another one also wanted to be a bard and all he does is play the didgeridoo.
So now we are two tanks and three bards and one murder hobo dwarf.
Still alive, still fun, no pressure to play something just because it is missing.

DnD should not be like an mmo (eg. WoW or FF14) where the group can only start with one tank, three dps and a healer.
Your DM is not a bot, your DM should be able (to learn) to work with the flow.

After every session we do something along the lines of a feedback round, what was great, what not, and how can we fix it together.
I agree with the others!

The DM has to be able to say something. Like, "Hey, you should really have one support/ Hey, someone maybe wanna spec differently?" and coordinate. OR an example that has been named: The DM has an NPC for that.

When our group, consisting complety of first timers, started two years ago, we picked what we wanted. No one thought of "group dynamics" or smth.
Two tanks, rest of us DPS. Even though I have my bard, that is absolutely 0% support specc.
And it works. First we met a witch, who provisioned us with divers potions and herbs for doing some side tasks for her.
Then we had the "Innkeeper" conviniently placed everytime.

And with growth and time it got less, but we leveld up, my bard has one healing spell, one member died and "came back" as a full-on-healing-and-support-you-bard, and then another one also wanted to be a bard and all he does is play the didgeridoo.
So now we are two tanks and three bards and one murder hobo dwarf.
Still alive, still fun, no pressure to play something just because it is missing.

DnD should not be like an mmo (eg. WoW or FF14) where the group can only start with one tank, three dps and a healer.
Your DM is not a bot, your DM should be able (to learn) to work with the flow.

After every session we do something along the lines of a feedback round, what was great, what not, and how can we fix it together.
I think you're over thinking it. Unless you're doing a hard core kind of role play group then it doesn't matter what class you choose and you don't have to pick a support or healing class just because no one else has. It's not like a video game where everything needs to be perfectly balanced. The DM has the power to make and change the dynamics and enemy encounters. My group has always played whatever class we wanted and we've never had a problem with it. If somebody dies they just make a new character and we just move on with the game or if someone's critically hurt then the dm comes up with a way for us to heal them. It's also important to find a group that is laid back and like minded. If you feel like you're not being treated fairly or aren't being given the same options as the other players then it's perfectly okay to leave that group.

I think you're over thinking it. Unless you're doing a hard core kind of role play group then it doesn't matter what class you choose and you don't have to pick a support or healing class just because no one else has. It's not like a video game where everything needs to be perfectly balanced. The DM has the power to make and change the dynamics and enemy encounters. My group has always played whatever class we wanted and we've never had a problem with it. If somebody dies they just make a new character and we just move on with the game or if someone's critically hurt then the dm comes up with a way for us to heal them. It's also important to find a group that is laid back and like minded. If you feel like you're not being treated fairly or aren't being given the same options as the other players then it's perfectly okay to leave that group.

a good dm should be able to work around the party's classes regardless of whether or not it is balanced. if you are unable to choose what you want on your own without others pressuring you, i can understand how frustrating that would be, especially if you are tied up with rl things and dont have the ability to make a character on the fly before everyone else. these things can take time. one thing i've noticed is that typically the ones who live and breathe ttrpg are incredibly good at guilt tripping those who treat it as a hobby and fun past time as it should be. i love ttrpg - but you'll often find me outdoors doing other things, working, or at school and sometimes it slips my mind or i fall behind. luckily my upcoming campaign (in vtm, not dnd) my fiance is the GM and he more often than not is doing whatever with me and is able to reign me in when the time comes.

needless to say, its a 2 way street! they should work with you as much as you work with them. teamwork makes the dream work.
a good dm should be able to work around the party's classes regardless of whether or not it is balanced. if you are unable to choose what you want on your own without others pressuring you, i can understand how frustrating that would be, especially if you are tied up with rl things and dont have the ability to make a character on the fly before everyone else. these things can take time. one thing i've noticed is that typically the ones who live and breathe ttrpg are incredibly good at guilt tripping those who treat it as a hobby and fun past time as it should be. i love ttrpg - but you'll often find me outdoors doing other things, working, or at school and sometimes it slips my mind or i fall behind. luckily my upcoming campaign (in vtm, not dnd) my fiance is the GM and he more often than not is doing whatever with me and is able to reign me in when the time comes.

needless to say, its a 2 way street! they should work with you as much as you work with them. teamwork makes the dream work.
she | 26 | fr +2
audhd + chronically ill
tired equine nutrition student
I want to stress what @V4sh said.
A good group will work with you just as much as you will work with them. It's a 2-way street.
Team Work = Dream Work
I want to stress what @V4sh said.
A good group will work with you just as much as you will work with them. It's a 2-way street.
Team Work = Dream Work
Khadgar: "Impetuous imposters imperil important improvements."
King Julien: "I like to move it, move it!"
Thunder! Thunder! THUNDERCATS! HOOO!!
Clan Lore (Clan profile page.) Tree-Bound Subspecies forum thread
1 2