Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Is it acceptable to microwave water
1 2 3
hot water is hot water, but as someone with a temperature-controlled kettle i'm far too pampered to use the microwave as a side note, i love that americans are generally ambivalent about Kettle Ownership while practically everyone else i know struggles to wrap their brain around the idea of a kettle-less household. it's giving [url=https://x.com/hattersarts/status/1713313955840405857?s=46&t=C9Q37vasYUOiiV-NLswpuQ][img]https://i.gyazo.com/6e889e4a3ccecb7f054013c434b41785.png[/img][/url]
hot water is hot water, but as someone with a temperature-controlled kettle i'm far too pampered to use the microwave

as a side note, i love that americans are generally ambivalent about Kettle Ownership while practically everyone else i know struggles to wrap their brain around the idea of a kettle-less household. it's giving
6e889e4a3ccecb7f054013c434b41785.png
hikaru
22 • he/him • eng/jpn • fr+3

click here for a random bird
________
That is how I heat water for tea, I suggest 2 minutes for an acceptable temp.

Safety suggestions from experiences:
Make sure the mug is microwave safe by reading the label at the bottom. If you want it to be hotter, you can microwave it for an extra 30 secs to 2 mins, but please keep in mind that ceramic needs air to release heat, but since it is full of water, the ceramic may explode of you try microwaving over 3 mins of additional time: total of 5 mins of microwaving. I do not suggest trying to clean the shards out of the microwave, but if you want to try cleaning them out, go ahead. Ceramic shards = Glass shards

Edit: Just remembered my brother still has not returned my kettle T_T
That is how I heat water for tea, I suggest 2 minutes for an acceptable temp.

Safety suggestions from experiences:
Make sure the mug is microwave safe by reading the label at the bottom. If you want it to be hotter, you can microwave it for an extra 30 secs to 2 mins, but please keep in mind that ceramic needs air to release heat, but since it is full of water, the ceramic may explode of you try microwaving over 3 mins of additional time: total of 5 mins of microwaving. I do not suggest trying to clean the shards out of the microwave, but if you want to try cleaning them out, go ahead. Ceramic shards = Glass shards

Edit: Just remembered my brother still has not returned my kettle T_T
Plague-Network.png
Endtroid
"Oddeeae uodduoee!"
(Hello people!)

Hatchery
Wishhlist
if its stupid but it works its not stupid
if its stupid but it works its not stupid
LVVfHp2.png | FR+3
| elune adore
| wishlist
| adopts
86128068.pngw7Yv8Mj.png
Do what you need to do in a pinch, but it does make me uncomfortable.

If you're in the UK you can get one from Argos for about a tenner.
Do what you need to do in a pinch, but it does make me uncomfortable.

If you're in the UK you can get one from Argos for about a tenner.
8hOK5Zm.png1qSQ4Z1.gif
BE CAREFUL OF SUPERHEATED WATER!

If you microwave plain water, it will not boil immediately after taking it out!

This is because the surface tension of the water is actually keeping the water that is vigorously trying to turn into steam from doing that.

If you add something, such as a tea bag or drink powder to the liquid, it will spontaneously boil and may even explode!

A simple youtube search will show you an example.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Only about a 1-1:30 minutes is needed, even with cold water to get mouth warm.

ALSO NO ONE MICROWAVE EGGS!

*aggressively hold up OHS sign*

If you microwave plain water, it will not boil immediately after taking it out!

This is because the surface tension of the water is actually keeping the water that is vigorously trying to turn into steam from doing that.

If you add something, such as a tea bag or drink powder to the liquid, it will spontaneously boil and may even explode!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Only about a 1-1:30 minutes is needed, even with cold water to get mouth warm.

ALSO NO ONE MICROWAVE EGGS!

*aggressively hold up OHS sign*
HzGpUHb.png
[quote name="shiro3tora" date="2024-04-12 15:01:11" ] BE CAREFUL OF SUPERHEATED WATER! … If you add something, such as a tea bag or drink powder to the liquid, it will spontaneously boil and may even explode! A simple youtube search will show you an example. … [/quote] I am now so tempted to make it go boom… [img]https://media.tenor.com/pL4hDXpiGOgAAAAM/kaboom-penguins.gif[/img]
shiro3tora wrote on 2024-04-12 15:01:11:

I am now so tempted to make it go boom…

kaboom-penguins.gif
CDZsGNI.pngyEMmEQl.png
The only people I've ever met with a kettle are my grandparents, I thought that this was a normal way to do it if you didn't have a stove to boil water in a pot/if all the burners are being used.
The only people I've ever met with a kettle are my grandparents, I thought that this was a normal way to do it if you didn't have a stove to boil water in a pot/if all the burners are being used.
KNiDL_Star_Rod_sprite.png 7nrEOpT.png
bYt72YT.png
Zn1clbn.png
9vwqdfK.png
tyEuRXe.png
9R2Unq1.png
CeZAyqc.png
lA1sWNh.png
Collector of gen 1 aethers, imperial enjoyer, old dragon admirer, sprite/nymph adorer
KNiDL_Star_Rod_icon.png
love how theres so many people in here saying "if you have a kettle, use the kettle" or "microwaving water is weird" without explaining why they think its weird lol. there isnt a difference in flavor. you get the same result of hot water. if anything the microwave gets you the same result in two minutes that the kettle gets you in three. what gives, yall?
love how theres so many people in here saying "if you have a kettle, use the kettle" or "microwaving water is weird" without explaining why they think its weird lol. there isnt a difference in flavor. you get the same result of hot water. if anything the microwave gets you the same result in two minutes that the kettle gets you in three. what gives, yall?
LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema bobbing her head, wearing white headphones with black trim and a pink heart symbol on the ear cup.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema doing the monkey dance while flapping her wings and shaking her tail from side to side.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema dancing by waving her front legs in the air and turning her body from side to side.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema with one foreleg on her hip and the other waving in the air.
@LilLegendary

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I heat up water, I don't drink only one cup of tea. I make a surplus, rest goes in a thermos flask I keep nearby. Kettles are much more efficient of getting lots of water fast.

Plus, the superheated water above is a great arguement. As neat as explosions are, I don't want any up close. Got enough burn scars already.
@LilLegendary

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I heat up water, I don't drink only one cup of tea. I make a surplus, rest goes in a thermos flask I keep nearby. Kettles are much more efficient of getting lots of water fast.

Plus, the superheated water above is a great arguement. As neat as explosions are, I don't want any up close. Got enough burn scars already.
1 2 3