Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | share bug facts?
1 2
There are moths who look like twigs [img]https://butterfly-conservation.org/sites/default/files/styles/srcset_large/public/2018-05/15901251690_141d53f4ed_o.jpg[/img] "The Buff-tip has gone one stage further and is not just the colour of a twig, but the same shape too! And it resembles a specific type of twig; that of a birch tree with its characteristic silvery coloured bark. As if that was not enough, it even looks exactly like a broken birch twig!" - from [url=https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/why-moths-matter/what-are-moths/moth-camouflage]here[/url]
There are moths who look like twigs

15901251690_141d53f4ed_o.jpg

"The Buff-tip has gone one stage further and is not just the colour of a twig, but the same shape too! And it resembles a specific type of twig; that of a birch tree with its characteristic silvery coloured bark. As if that was not enough, it even looks exactly like a broken birch twig!" - from here
csJrlej.png
3dokvee.png
comev47.png
QQYyU47.png
YUEtAn1.png
dEe2UrM.png
f5c0adf655eaaeb871411a368de8ed0ce8164fc9.png
assuming "bug" means arthropod, here

ants are smart enough to maintain farms

^ termites too

ants are smart enough to ranch aphids

ants put their dead into tombs

scorpion anatomy is weird
https://askabiologist.asu.edu/sites/default/files/resources/articles/scorpions/scorpion-anatomy-1024.gif <-- scorpion anatomical diagram

scorpions have mating dances

scorpions glow under uv light due to the structure of their exoskeleton

whip scorpions are not scorpions (more closely related to spiders)

bees have incredible senses of smell, and possibly olfactory memory

wolf spiders are great mothers

spiders eat their webs sometimes

both wolf spiders and scorpions carry their babies on their back
(citation for which species of scorpion needed)

mosquitos are herbivorous, the females suck up blood for egg protein
they have an anticoagulant in their spit that technically makes them venomous
assuming "bug" means arthropod, here

ants are smart enough to maintain farms

^ termites too

ants are smart enough to ranch aphids

ants put their dead into tombs

scorpion anatomy is weird
https://askabiologist.asu.edu/sites/default/files/resources/articles/scorpions/scorpion-anatomy-1024.gif <-- scorpion anatomical diagram

scorpions have mating dances

scorpions glow under uv light due to the structure of their exoskeleton

whip scorpions are not scorpions (more closely related to spiders)

bees have incredible senses of smell, and possibly olfactory memory

wolf spiders are great mothers

spiders eat their webs sometimes

both wolf spiders and scorpions carry their babies on their back
(citation for which species of scorpion needed)

mosquitos are herbivorous, the females suck up blood for egg protein
they have an anticoagulant in their spit that technically makes them venomous

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
leafcutter ants don't actually eat the leaves they collect, they use it to feed a fungus that they then eat! they're entirely unique fungi found only in ant nests :] bugs love to look like other bugs. there's jumping spiders that look like ants, flies and moths that look like bees and wasps, for every poisonous species of butterfly there's probably a harmless one that looks exactly like it different species of fireflies flash different patterns to attract mates, and the females of some species will mimic the pattern of a smaller species and eat the males that show up [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/1a688e5d02660f42947489cf379bb99e/0f172c7854017b51-06/s540x810/77739284175fc69c858940bd04ea6049ac26b37d.jpg[/img] sometimes grasshoppers are barbie pink (it's a condition called erythrism) you know how some moths have those big long tails? part of the reason for those is they throw off bat's echolocation that's all i can think of offhand but this is a good thread i love me some bug facts
leafcutter ants don't actually eat the leaves they collect, they use it to feed a fungus that they then eat! they're entirely unique fungi found only in ant nests :]

bugs love to look like other bugs. there's jumping spiders that look like ants, flies and moths that look like bees and wasps, for every poisonous species of butterfly there's probably a harmless one that looks exactly like it

different species of fireflies flash different patterns to attract mates, and the females of some species will mimic the pattern of a smaller species and eat the males that show up

77739284175fc69c858940bd04ea6049ac26b37d.jpg
sometimes grasshoppers are barbie pink (it's a condition called erythrism)

you know how some moths have those big long tails? part of the reason for those is they throw off bat's echolocation

that's all i can think of offhand but this is a good thread i love me some bug facts
an animated feraligatr sprite from pokemon crystal > call me mantis
> they / she
> fr +2
> art dump
w the nonbinary flag and the word nonbinary
the asexual flag and the word asexual
the lesbian flag and the word lesbian
free buttons
ee > reply hazy,
try again... blinking_cursor.gif
1 2