Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What's your opinion on Steven universe
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I wish this show had existed when I was a kid. I do think it got a bit weaker towards the end. My favorite episode is "The Test."
I wish this show had existed when I was a kid. I do think it got a bit weaker towards the end. My favorite episode is "The Test."
I've watched the first few episodes of the first season, after hearing about how much people liked the series. However I haven't got the means to watch the rest because the site I watched those episodes on was kinda shady. But the only place where you can watch the whole series is on those shady websites!

Because of this my opinions are probably a little skewed. it definitely was a little generic but I found the most interesting and unique episode of SU in that first season to be that episode where Steven discovers his shapeshifting powers and turns himself into rat king cat edition. Nightmare fuel though!

I'm unsure who my favourite character was, but honestly I was kinda indifferent, because the early episodes didn't really develop the characters much in my opinion. But if I were to choose it would be Garnet (the big gem with interesting glasses) because she's an epic gamer.
I've watched the first few episodes of the first season, after hearing about how much people liked the series. However I haven't got the means to watch the rest because the site I watched those episodes on was kinda shady. But the only place where you can watch the whole series is on those shady websites!

Because of this my opinions are probably a little skewed. it definitely was a little generic but I found the most interesting and unique episode of SU in that first season to be that episode where Steven discovers his shapeshifting powers and turns himself into rat king cat edition. Nightmare fuel though!

I'm unsure who my favourite character was, but honestly I was kinda indifferent, because the early episodes didn't really develop the characters much in my opinion. But if I were to choose it would be Garnet (the big gem with interesting glasses) because she's an epic gamer.
bgGXGPE.png
LGvol4P.png
G8AyR6r.png
AaYNmEX.png
SYiQlxK.png
ZcE4a9h.png

wip sig pls bear with i'm new to this stuff
I watched it for stress relief in college and enjoyed it a lot, especially the music. "Something Entirely New" still makes me cry when I hear it lol. I stopped watching at some point so I don't know how it ends, but I'm glad I watched the parts I did.
I watched it for stress relief in college and enjoyed it a lot, especially the music. "Something Entirely New" still makes me cry when I hear it lol. I stopped watching at some point so I don't know how it ends, but I'm glad I watched the parts I did.
qHzwbwf.png
A hatchery dedicated to Lightning reps and the Lightning aesthetic

FObX7rS.pngmjtJ868.pngnWiQNX9.png
Oh, man, I went through a phase with this show! I was late in starting it, but friends' reactions to certain episodes got me curious and I binged a great deal of it in one go and instantly fell in love!

What characters do I like? Well, pretty much all of them in their own special way. But, I mostly loved Peridot's journey to become a Crystal Gem. (I'm not biased because she represents my birthstone, oh no.)

Unfortunately, the fanbase is pretty rough, so I've always stayed out of it and enjoyed the series on my own, so it's nice to be able to interact with other people about it for once.
Oh, man, I went through a phase with this show! I was late in starting it, but friends' reactions to certain episodes got me curious and I binged a great deal of it in one go and instantly fell in love!

What characters do I like? Well, pretty much all of them in their own special way. But, I mostly loved Peridot's journey to become a Crystal Gem. (I'm not biased because she represents my birthstone, oh no.)

Unfortunately, the fanbase is pretty rough, so I've always stayed out of it and enjoyed the series on my own, so it's nice to be able to interact with other people about it for once.
9iqeDz7.png
I rewatched the show fully, in order, as an adult, and I do really like it. My favorite character is Garnet! I was pretty sad the ending had to be rushed, given how scary White Diamond was of a villain... I really liked how many things were straight up horrifying when you think about them a little, through the show, there's a lot of concepts that would fit really well in horror actually. I really like the songs too, a lot of them are really nice and tend to get stuck in my head! I also loved the absolute amount of queer rep, and I recall I had a rubysona a few years ago. :)
I rewatched the show fully, in order, as an adult, and I do really like it. My favorite character is Garnet! I was pretty sad the ending had to be rushed, given how scary White Diamond was of a villain... I really liked how many things were straight up horrifying when you think about them a little, through the show, there's a lot of concepts that would fit really well in horror actually. I really like the songs too, a lot of them are really nice and tend to get stuck in my head! I also loved the absolute amount of queer rep, and I recall I had a rubysona a few years ago. :)
5hF3FGk.png
gPwtjqg.png
a922ec5c573bccc1d57aef84d78cfa19067bc414.png 71e09b42cae1da0e3bce33c48764c15f1b5af3ac.png he/him
french
tiny
kE8PZoU.png
bYt72YT.png
ZA25l2S.png
oczO35g.png
Steven Universe is... absolutely not for me. but I think it's a show that I could've enjoyed if it didn't have the problems it has.

I have a lot of problems with the art style and character designs, for the most part. some character designs are good (Connie and Garnet for example, and Pearl is also good as long as she isn't off model), some look way too generic (Amethyst has no recognizable shapes, and Steven doesn't even look like a main character...), and some just do not suit the character (Pink Diamond especially suffers from this, but there's a few others too). also, they go off model too often which is really just stupid, they have such good shape designs and then they go off model and ruin it.

(a funny side note on one of my comments on character designs; I really do not like Pink Diamond because her design does not feel like a Diamond. White and Yellow have such good shapes and Blue has such a good silhouette, and then there's Pink whose shapes are all over the place. I once tried to describe this problem but flubbed my wording and described Pink Diamond as "a scrapped design for Rosequartz". I knew Pink = Rosequartz, I meant that Pink looked like a scrapped design for a different Rosequartz character. oops)

(another side note on character designs, sometimes the designs do not match their equivalent gems at all, which I also kinda have a problem with... Bismuth is the worst offender. bismuth is a bunch of squares, why is the character Bismuth so round! it's a good design but why is it not square)

as for storytelling and themes... the writing is hit or miss for me, too. sometimes it does well, sometimes it does not, and from what I've seen it has issues establishing its pace and themes over the full length of the show - which may simply be the result of time crunch, so I'm not judging too harshly. the biggest problem I have with the story is that I feel like it didn't know what it was trying to get to until fairly late in the series.

overall, the concept is a really good idea, but the execution just does not vibe with me. I think it could've been better if it'd had better character designs and a little more time in production to grow into its story before it started airing.
Steven Universe is... absolutely not for me. but I think it's a show that I could've enjoyed if it didn't have the problems it has.

I have a lot of problems with the art style and character designs, for the most part. some character designs are good (Connie and Garnet for example, and Pearl is also good as long as she isn't off model), some look way too generic (Amethyst has no recognizable shapes, and Steven doesn't even look like a main character...), and some just do not suit the character (Pink Diamond especially suffers from this, but there's a few others too). also, they go off model too often which is really just stupid, they have such good shape designs and then they go off model and ruin it.

(a funny side note on one of my comments on character designs; I really do not like Pink Diamond because her design does not feel like a Diamond. White and Yellow have such good shapes and Blue has such a good silhouette, and then there's Pink whose shapes are all over the place. I once tried to describe this problem but flubbed my wording and described Pink Diamond as "a scrapped design for Rosequartz". I knew Pink = Rosequartz, I meant that Pink looked like a scrapped design for a different Rosequartz character. oops)

(another side note on character designs, sometimes the designs do not match their equivalent gems at all, which I also kinda have a problem with... Bismuth is the worst offender. bismuth is a bunch of squares, why is the character Bismuth so round! it's a good design but why is it not square)

as for storytelling and themes... the writing is hit or miss for me, too. sometimes it does well, sometimes it does not, and from what I've seen it has issues establishing its pace and themes over the full length of the show - which may simply be the result of time crunch, so I'm not judging too harshly. the biggest problem I have with the story is that I feel like it didn't know what it was trying to get to until fairly late in the series.

overall, the concept is a really good idea, but the execution just does not vibe with me. I think it could've been better if it'd had better character designs and a little more time in production to grow into its story before it started airing.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
i thought it was ok. its pretty and i like watching character analysises on youtube but i never really got into watching it as a series.
i thought it was ok. its pretty and i like watching character analysises on youtube but i never really got into watching it as a series.
XMaa7RV.pngBtKwBsk.pngJ6ryZyV.png sh652fp.pngsSJhVuG.pngsh5xjiu.png
WAAAhh i love SU!!
I just wormed out of my hyperfix sadly,but i still adore the show :3
I personally love Padparadscha,Yellow Pearl, and Peridot! :3
WAAAhh i love SU!!
I just wormed out of my hyperfix sadly,but i still adore the show :3
I personally love Padparadscha,Yellow Pearl, and Peridot! :3
35apKLYs.jpg kE8PZoU.pngtn0RSo5.png
UwlzUwS.pngFObX7rS.png
kCHWEjf.pngOrlEqVx.png
jo4fU6U.png
4MTkm8J.png
BjO3CiL.png
I fell off the show right before the showdown with the diamonds and never picked it up from there. But I really enjoyed what I did watch. It tackled some very complex issues in a way where kids could understand.

That said I grew less interested the further along it got. The best part was always the character dynamics, this mismatched family that's trying to cope after the death of a loved one. The more it went on, the bigger the story got and the more the universe was revealed, that took away a lot of the mystery and charm.
I fell off the show right before the showdown with the diamonds and never picked it up from there. But I really enjoyed what I did watch. It tackled some very complex issues in a way where kids could understand.

That said I grew less interested the further along it got. The best part was always the character dynamics, this mismatched family that's trying to cope after the death of a loved one. The more it went on, the bigger the story got and the more the universe was revealed, that took away a lot of the mystery and charm.
Love it very much, wouldn't change a thing. [emoji=pink gem 2 size=1][emoji=familiar heart size=1]
Love it very much, wouldn't change a thing.
FObX7rS.png
BzjAkuF.png
5hF3FGk.png
yUgY90m.png
Hey, I'm Charlie!
she/they
nonbinary & queer
1 2 3 4 5 6 7