Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Ancestry] unsure what to call yourself?
1 2 3 4
i just say i'm White lol
But seriously, my maternal family has been in the process of tracking everyone's genealogy for the past few years, and based on my mother's DNA test I'm more than 50% Polish, but the rest is too mixed up to matter. I do bear the name of a large and famous Scottish clan(maybe you can guess who?) but I don't know that I connect with either of those cultures all that much.
I do feel really justified in my weird taste in food though.
i just say i'm White lol
But seriously, my maternal family has been in the process of tracking everyone's genealogy for the past few years, and based on my mother's DNA test I'm more than 50% Polish, but the rest is too mixed up to matter. I do bear the name of a large and famous Scottish clan(maybe you can guess who?) but I don't know that I connect with either of those cultures all that much.
I do feel really justified in my weird taste in food though.
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
[center]im [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsovLrHU0AADxYq.jpg[/img] 23andme certified 95.2% british & irish and 4.8% french & german. no surprises there! my wifes 23andme wheel looks like a rainbow, shes got a little bit of everything except melanesian![/center]
im

EsovLrHU0AADxYq.jpg

23andme certified 95.2% british & irish and 4.8% french & german. no surprises there!
my wifes 23andme wheel looks like a rainbow, shes got a little bit of everything except melanesian!
TbqBGq9.png _________ lacey // she/her // lesbian // xxvii

married on 11.11.20 // baby boy born 10.29.23
_________ 78428936.png
@GrimoireBlack I'm actually planning on looking through government records (marriage licenses, birth records, ship passenger names, etc.) by names and dates at the National Archives. I'm not doing a DNA test.

Maybe you could do something similar? Not sure how revealing birth certificates are, that's something I have to relearn later.

Ironically, despite not wanting a genetic test, I heard National Archives DID contract with Ancestry so I have no idea how in-your-face any genetic information will be when it comes time to comb through the databases.
@GrimoireBlack I'm actually planning on looking through government records (marriage licenses, birth records, ship passenger names, etc.) by names and dates at the National Archives. I'm not doing a DNA test.

Maybe you could do something similar? Not sure how revealing birth certificates are, that's something I have to relearn later.

Ironically, despite not wanting a genetic test, I heard National Archives DID contract with Ancestry so I have no idea how in-your-face any genetic information will be when it comes time to comb through the databases.
Local Overthinker, He/Him, Pings and notifications are fine.
It’s always interesting for me to think about. I’m Scottish and Irish on my mom’s side, and I’m Polish and Hungarian on my dad’s side (my last name is Hungarian, in fact). However, my mother was born in one U.S. state, my father was born in another U.S. state, and thanks to them both being in the Air Force, I ended up being born in Germany (on a military base so still U.S. soil technically). I’m taking a German language class as eventually I want to see it because now we live in yet another U.S. state, and have been living here since I was 3.
And I’m probably overthinking it but it’s interesting for me to think about as I’m still not certain how to answer “where are you from?” On a scale that’s broader than just what town I live in.
It’s always interesting for me to think about. I’m Scottish and Irish on my mom’s side, and I’m Polish and Hungarian on my dad’s side (my last name is Hungarian, in fact). However, my mother was born in one U.S. state, my father was born in another U.S. state, and thanks to them both being in the Air Force, I ended up being born in Germany (on a military base so still U.S. soil technically). I’m taking a German language class as eventually I want to see it because now we live in yet another U.S. state, and have been living here since I was 3.
And I’m probably overthinking it but it’s interesting for me to think about as I’m still not certain how to answer “where are you from?” On a scale that’s broader than just what town I live in.
c6ldplq.gifll0CfnD.pngcVPo4yi.png5hF3FGk.pngoutput-onlinegiftools.gif
Honestly, we just say we're mixed European.

We're mostly Norwegian, German, and Polish, with a dusting of Finnish, Irish, and British. There's a tiny sliver of Arabic and East Asian (we don't know where exactly) but it's like... more of interest to us from a "knowing our ancestors" angle, hah. We're very white.

It can be hard to know what labels to put on anything, but there's nothing wrong with "mixed (whatever the biggest part of your ancestry is)".

- M.
Honestly, we just say we're mixed European.

We're mostly Norwegian, German, and Polish, with a dusting of Finnish, Irish, and British. There's a tiny sliver of Arabic and East Asian (we don't know where exactly) but it's like... more of interest to us from a "knowing our ancestors" angle, hah. We're very white.

It can be hard to know what labels to put on anything, but there's nothing wrong with "mixed (whatever the biggest part of your ancestry is)".

- M.
ACOZFAh.png sZShZzW.png Zs4VhSn.png
RyOOFff.png kseo325.png
OxagJgG.png bsTwpFg.png
KLS4Wrl.png
Though I'm born in the uk I'm a whole mix of different places in Europe I just call myself British but it's extremely difficult to trace back my mum's side of the family. My dad's side is mostly Italian and Portuguese.

In terms of language I know a small amount of Italian from my father and I learned Welsh and English from my mother.
Though I'm born in the uk I'm a whole mix of different places in Europe I just call myself British but it's extremely difficult to trace back my mum's side of the family. My dad's side is mostly Italian and Portuguese.

In terms of language I know a small amount of Italian from my father and I learned Welsh and English from my mother.
|Ello I'm Awoken, She/her, FR+8, I am a bunch of lizards in a coat, Profile dragon|
WyB8X7e.jpg
i'm another case of 'too many different things to effectively track', polish, german, czechoslovakian, irish, italian...pretty thoroughly 'European' i suppose, but none of them cover more than 25% of my ancestry so i don't feel like i can call myself anything but 'American' at this point. it might have been one thing if i had any genuine connection to family from overseas, but i hardly even have relations with my extended family over here since my parents moved across the country and hardly had any contact with folks back home. it's kinda sad that i don't have any solid roots, but that's just given me more of an incentive to form community surrounding other things that i value, so it's okay in the end! i am happy for people who feel close to their roots, though [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
i'm another case of 'too many different things to effectively track', polish, german, czechoslovakian, irish, italian...pretty thoroughly 'European' i suppose, but none of them cover more than 25% of my ancestry so i don't feel like i can call myself anything but 'American' at this point. it might have been one thing if i had any genuine connection to family from overseas, but i hardly even have relations with my extended family over here since my parents moved across the country and hardly had any contact with folks back home.

it's kinda sad that i don't have any solid roots, but that's just given me more of an incentive to form community surrounding other things that i value, so it's okay in the end! i am happy for people who feel close to their roots, though
OFDnJ2q.jpeg
yeah I am extremely racially ambiguous and I hate it :')

don't feel like getting into it but yep it's so annoying to never know what to call myself

don't feel like getting into it but yep it's so annoying to never know what to call myself
~~~~ hello ^^ ~~~~
ara - 21 - she/any
pings and messages
always welcome :)
-
hh5n4WA.pngmlHpBMC.png
tqGkHih.png0XHtpWy.png
P4eo1Gw.png

---
Accent: petals of violet
500g/kt each
[quote name="arawoods" date="2023-02-17 13:12:58" ] yeah I am extremely racially ambiguous and I hate it :') [/quote] @arawoods big same T__T people ask me insensitive stuff like "what are you" and im like "i have no idea how to respond to that question" im personally ok with how i look. its more other people being weird about it that's offputting!
arawoods wrote on 2023-02-17 13:12:58:

@arawoods big same T__T people ask me insensitive stuff like "what are you" and im like "i have no idea how to respond to that question"

im personally ok with how i look. its more other people being weird about it that's offputting!

tumblr_inline_nbefjbkpeK1qg78ij.png WHEN THE RHYTHM IS GLAD/THERE IS NOTHING 2 B SAD

(banner)tumblr_inline_nbefjh6UpE1qg78ij.png
[quote name="GoldenFireTiger" date="2023-02-17 19:15:59" ] [quote name="arawoods" date="2023-02-17 13:12:58" ] yeah I am extremely racially ambiguous and I hate it :') [/quote] big same T__T people ask me insensitive stuff like "what are you" and im like "i have no idea how to respond to that question" im personally ok with how i look. its more other people being weird about it that's offputting! [/quote] oh yeah same!! people ask where I'm from a lot (and a lot of people assume I'm latino for some reason!) and my answer is always "I was born and raised in Canada but my mom is from India" because like obviously that's what they're ACTUALLY asking (also a few weeks ago I told a guy this and he said "if you're from india why is your skin not black" WORD FOR WORD and it was the most baffling experience ever. especially because my speech literally specified that I'm not from india??)
GoldenFireTiger wrote on 2023-02-17 19:15:59:
arawoods wrote on 2023-02-17 13:12:58:

big same T__T people ask me insensitive stuff like "what are you" and im like "i have no idea how to respond to that question"

im personally ok with how i look. its more other people being weird about it that's offputting!

oh yeah same!!

people ask where I'm from a lot (and a lot of people assume I'm latino for some reason!) and my answer is always "I was born and raised in Canada but my mom is from India" because like obviously that's what they're ACTUALLY asking

(also a few weeks ago I told a guy this and he said "if you're from india why is your skin not black" WORD FOR WORD and it was the most baffling experience ever. especially because my speech literally specified that I'm not from india??)
~~~~ hello ^^ ~~~~
ara - 21 - she/any
pings and messages
always welcome :)
-
hh5n4WA.pngmlHpBMC.png
tqGkHih.png0XHtpWy.png
P4eo1Gw.png

---
Accent: petals of violet
500g/kt each
1 2 3 4