Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What are some "rare" media you know
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16
@RallraxAuri He's in my top 3 for sure
@RallraxAuri He's in my top 3 for sure
vb9XDyP.pngzXPUC5G.pngh9HLlmg.pngsjO16Tn.pngK3S42IV.pngGIS6wtC.giffxF3Lg4.gifmEykmbW.pngrOmZsMq.pngwTBPG5s.pngI1IOwRk.png
Books by my all time favorite author Brandon Sanderson don't seem to get mentioned very much. Also the new Sandman series by Neil Gaiman was amazing, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.
Books by my all time favorite author Brandon Sanderson don't seem to get mentioned very much. Also the new Sandman series by Neil Gaiman was amazing, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.
01acb572b0a71defbfbf7f0eca7eaa19f32a8883.png
Starlight Express is pretty much my favorite thing at the moment, and its surprising how obscure it is when you consider the fact its been running in one form or another since 1984!
If you want a quick summary; it's like Cats the Musical, but with trains and a clearer plot. Oh and everyone's wearing rollerskates. I love it dearly and it's a great time if you like the vibe that Cats had.

Just look at this.
Starlight Express is pretty much my favorite thing at the moment, and its surprising how obscure it is when you consider the fact its been running in one form or another since 1984!
If you want a quick summary; it's like Cats the Musical, but with trains and a clearer plot. Oh and everyone's wearing rollerskates. I love it dearly and it's a great time if you like the vibe that Cats had.

Just look at this.
[quote name="Gabbiani" date="2022-11-10 11:56:53" ] - Mystery Skulls Animated is a Youtube series consisting of 4 videos at the moment (idk when the fifth one will come out) featuring music by Mystery Skulls, I used to be really into the fandom back in late 2018 and early 2019, but now I rarely see it mentioned online, I'm hoping the fandom starts existing again after the fifth video comes out [/quote] Just an FYI, Mystery Ben usually uploads a vid every 2 years. Which means we're due for the continuation of the story very soon :))
Gabbiani wrote on 2022-11-10 11:56:53:
- Mystery Skulls Animated is a Youtube series consisting of 4 videos at the moment (idk when the fifth one will come out) featuring music by Mystery Skulls, I used to be really into the fandom back in late 2018 and early 2019, but now I rarely see it mentioned online, I'm hoping the fandom starts existing again after the fifth video comes out
Just an FYI, Mystery Ben usually uploads a vid every 2 years.

Which means we're due for the continuation of the story very soon :))
oh man, did anyone here ever play the alice is dead flash games? i played them when i was younger and they gripped me so violently... i think it was meant to be a trilogy, but the creator never made the third one and eventually disappeared off of the internet u_u the flash games archive software actually has a copy of it, so it's still available to play if you know where to look!

music-wise, i think the most obscure but viscerally interesting albums i've ever heard are both by The Protomen, consisting of The Protomen (2005) & Act II: The Father Of Death (2009). i listened to both of them like three or four times in totality before finding out that they're about Mega Man, and essentially a fanfic version of Mega Man at that. still, they do such a good job with establishing an atmosphere that you can still enjoy them without knowing the deep lore of Mega Man / The Protomen universe.

also- @SnickerSnack sleeping at last is so good!! atlas was the first album i heard from them, and i've been hooked since :O they do such a fantastic job with the tone in their music. that's probably why grey's anatomy used basically every song from it at one point in the series, lol. it's a shame that they're not super popular, they very much deserve to be.
oh man, did anyone here ever play the alice is dead flash games? i played them when i was younger and they gripped me so violently... i think it was meant to be a trilogy, but the creator never made the third one and eventually disappeared off of the internet u_u the flash games archive software actually has a copy of it, so it's still available to play if you know where to look!

music-wise, i think the most obscure but viscerally interesting albums i've ever heard are both by The Protomen, consisting of The Protomen (2005) & Act II: The Father Of Death (2009). i listened to both of them like three or four times in totality before finding out that they're about Mega Man, and essentially a fanfic version of Mega Man at that. still, they do such a good job with establishing an atmosphere that you can still enjoy them without knowing the deep lore of Mega Man / The Protomen universe.

also- @SnickerSnack sleeping at last is so good!! atlas was the first album i heard from them, and i've been hooked since :O they do such a fantastic job with the tone in their music. that's probably why grey's anatomy used basically every song from it at one point in the series, lol. it's a shame that they're not super popular, they very much deserve to be.
GoVqS9e.pngz6QqwoI.png9ImEbE6.pngRwYjxAH.pngfB9LVL3.pngszEsbQ6.pngFRbWiYH.png
8Guy5ew.png
stag/sunny 0weZF6S.png they/them
4sqjku3.png
FObX7rS.pngJvUa9ma.png
art fight | art shop | website
credits: x | x | x
[quote name="Rustea" date="2022-10-22 21:37:09" ] I remember wolves of the beyond! I think I only read up to watch wolf but I was a big fan of guardians of ga'hoole as a kid as well. [/quote] Hey I have read Wolves of the beyond as well! I was already in my twenties when I found it and have never read all of it, but I think it is a nice story. Maybe I shold buy the missing books and read them
Rustea wrote on 2022-10-22 21:37:09:
I remember wolves of the beyond! I think I only read up to watch wolf but I was a big fan of guardians of ga'hoole as a kid as well.

Hey I have read Wolves of the beyond as well! I was already in my twenties when I found it and have never read all of it, but I think it is a nice story. Maybe I shold buy the missing books and read them
He/Him - It/It's
One/One's - Xe/Xem
My Pronouns Page

For Sale (With a coin and gem symbol)Wishlist (With a starsymbol)
 This user does Roleplay
A black anthro wolf character who is laying down. He has long curly white hair, wears a purple sweater and black pants. His eyes are red. He has a golden hoop earring.
Pings are welcome!

A heart shaped genderfluid pride flagA heart shaped omnisexual pride flagA heart shaped polyamory pride flag
A small black button that appears to be made from goo. The button is a link. The Goo is dripping down a little bit. On the button is the word turned written in neon green letters.
Eerie Indiana for sure. Even back then I hardly heard people talk about it. Makes me sad cause it's a pretty good show.
Eerie Indiana for sure. Even back then I hardly heard people talk about it. Makes me sad cause it's a pretty good show.
tumblr_inline_mjvop8mMef1qz4rgp.gif tumblr_md2y0qnWDS1qk1or3.gif
I absolutely ENJOY finding things that would rather be considered obscure in my area or other! I tend to find "rare' media that aren't native to my country and are mainly animated, ranging from old European cartoons and adaptations of the Wizard of Oz books (bc I just LALALALOVE THE WIZARD OF OZ).

The animated films I mentioned are incredibly hard to find, especially with English subtitles. Sometimes, they are on YouTube for a certain amount of time before being smited from copyright. I'm honestly really glad I've discovered some really neat artists, as well!

Marcell Jankovics is one of them. His films give me feelings and vibes like no other. Even when I first stumbled upon one of his films, the art style alone really gave me Yellow Submarine vibes, so of course I had to look into it. There's a certain magic to his films as well. It's one of the reasons why I appreciate 2D animation so much.

Gyorgy Kovasznai is also another fabulous artist and animator. He has a really unique style; as soon as you see it, you immediately know it's him! His films tend to deal more with reality, basically the human condition in a way. One of the major characteristics in his art is the fact that everyone is constantly changing. It's hard for me to explain, but, think about one character who's constantly changing; you can tell it's still them, but they're in a different kind of style, whether it's minimalist or semi-realistic. Kovasznai's such a wonderful artist and genius in my eyes.

Also, watch the Wonderful Wizard of Oz anime from 1986. Arguably the best adaptation that is also closest to being accurate to the books.
I absolutely ENJOY finding things that would rather be considered obscure in my area or other! I tend to find "rare' media that aren't native to my country and are mainly animated, ranging from old European cartoons and adaptations of the Wizard of Oz books (bc I just LALALALOVE THE WIZARD OF OZ).

The animated films I mentioned are incredibly hard to find, especially with English subtitles. Sometimes, they are on YouTube for a certain amount of time before being smited from copyright. I'm honestly really glad I've discovered some really neat artists, as well!

Marcell Jankovics is one of them. His films give me feelings and vibes like no other. Even when I first stumbled upon one of his films, the art style alone really gave me Yellow Submarine vibes, so of course I had to look into it. There's a certain magic to his films as well. It's one of the reasons why I appreciate 2D animation so much.

Gyorgy Kovasznai is also another fabulous artist and animator. He has a really unique style; as soon as you see it, you immediately know it's him! His films tend to deal more with reality, basically the human condition in a way. One of the major characteristics in his art is the fact that everyone is constantly changing. It's hard for me to explain, but, think about one character who's constantly changing; you can tell it's still them, but they're in a different kind of style, whether it's minimalist or semi-realistic. Kovasznai's such a wonderful artist and genius in my eyes.

Also, watch the Wonderful Wizard of Oz anime from 1986. Arguably the best adaptation that is also closest to being accurate to the books.
dT9HQge.png
H0t7Ypl.png
bYt72YT.png
oaolHwW.png
5hF3FGk.png
OQwOmsS.png
There's a microfandom I've been in since Highschool. The youtuber Benjaminutes. His content has changed a lot, but he currently has 2 ongoing series (both on hiatus). One is Tales from Riftdale, the other is Poll for Inititive.

Tales from Riftdale is a reboot/continuation of his youtube series The Riftdale Chronicals. People kept getting it mixed up with Riverdale, and he found he was having trouble keeping up with filming for the youtube series, whereas he had more flexibility with the podcast format. It's a horror comedy podcast, think like Welcome to Nightvale.

Poll for Inititive is a DnD livestream that get uploaded to youtube afterwards. The current campaign is called "Bedlam." It's a single player campaign, and if you can catch it live, you can vote on different story elements, therefore changing the story!
There's a microfandom I've been in since Highschool. The youtuber Benjaminutes. His content has changed a lot, but he currently has 2 ongoing series (both on hiatus). One is Tales from Riftdale, the other is Poll for Inititive.

Tales from Riftdale is a reboot/continuation of his youtube series The Riftdale Chronicals. People kept getting it mixed up with Riverdale, and he found he was having trouble keeping up with filming for the youtube series, whereas he had more flexibility with the podcast format. It's a horror comedy podcast, think like Welcome to Nightvale.

Poll for Inititive is a DnD livestream that get uploaded to youtube afterwards. The current campaign is called "Bedlam." It's a single player campaign, and if you can catch it live, you can vote on different story elements, therefore changing the story!
man some of the cartoons listed here bring me back!
Power Rangers (SPD *WAS* my favorite for years, I even had a SPD Gameboy Advance game I played all the time), Dragon Rider, Inuyasha (was my first 'real anime' besides Pokemon and introduced me to fictional shipping lmao), among others.
Shows I remember that aren't mentioned often:
Truth or Scare (was a live action series that played on Discovery Kids, which later became the Hub and now whatever the Hub became. Went over scary stories and legends around the world, questioning their reality. The show had pretty cool effects/costumes in some episodes, one I won't forget is the tale of a ghastly ghost/demon that lived in a old English castle. It was described as shaped/sized like a pig with big glowing red eyes, long black hair that covered most of its body, and blood red claws. The costume or whatever they made for that scene was horrifying.)
Growing Up Creepie (Cartoon show from the same channel, 2D/flash animation. Rad goth girl living with hundreds of bugs in a old mansion, hiding the fact she was being raised by bugs from the rest of the world, except for one friend who was chill with it/helping her hide the truth. Had lots of info on bugs each episode.)
Get Ed! (a 3D cartoon that aired on Jetix (same channel as Dragon Rider), my memory on it might be foggy but it was about a futuristic delivery service housing a humanoid robot of some kind named Ed, who had many questions about who/what he was and why the local super villain mad scientist wanted him so badly. Made young me think of Mega Man a lot.)
Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!/SRMTHFG! (2D animated show of a futuristic world with a kid named Shiro awakening a bunch of cyborg monkeys and forming a super hero team with them to fight many intergalactic evils.)
Yin Yang Yo! (2D show that invokes Kung Fu Panda vibes, not sure if it came before or after the first Panda movie but it was from a timeframe where silly kung fu cartoons were gaining popularity. 2 rabbit siblings, Yin and Yang, are the main characters while their lazy panda mentor, Yo, tries to keep order or sometimes just watches the chaos from his recliner)
man some of the cartoons listed here bring me back!
Power Rangers (SPD *WAS* my favorite for years, I even had a SPD Gameboy Advance game I played all the time), Dragon Rider, Inuyasha (was my first 'real anime' besides Pokemon and introduced me to fictional shipping lmao), among others.
Shows I remember that aren't mentioned often:
Truth or Scare (was a live action series that played on Discovery Kids, which later became the Hub and now whatever the Hub became. Went over scary stories and legends around the world, questioning their reality. The show had pretty cool effects/costumes in some episodes, one I won't forget is the tale of a ghastly ghost/demon that lived in a old English castle. It was described as shaped/sized like a pig with big glowing red eyes, long black hair that covered most of its body, and blood red claws. The costume or whatever they made for that scene was horrifying.)
Growing Up Creepie (Cartoon show from the same channel, 2D/flash animation. Rad goth girl living with hundreds of bugs in a old mansion, hiding the fact she was being raised by bugs from the rest of the world, except for one friend who was chill with it/helping her hide the truth. Had lots of info on bugs each episode.)
Get Ed! (a 3D cartoon that aired on Jetix (same channel as Dragon Rider), my memory on it might be foggy but it was about a futuristic delivery service housing a humanoid robot of some kind named Ed, who had many questions about who/what he was and why the local super villain mad scientist wanted him so badly. Made young me think of Mega Man a lot.)
Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!/SRMTHFG! (2D animated show of a futuristic world with a kid named Shiro awakening a bunch of cyborg monkeys and forming a super hero team with them to fight many intergalactic evils.)
Yin Yang Yo! (2D show that invokes Kung Fu Panda vibes, not sure if it came before or after the first Panda movie but it was from a timeframe where silly kung fu cartoons were gaining popularity. 2 rabbit siblings, Yin and Yang, are the main characters while their lazy panda mentor, Yo, tries to keep order or sometimes just watches the chaos from his recliner)
frsig_by_shadria_anarchy-dc719i3.png
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16