Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What book generally unnerved you?
1 2 3
Head Full of Ghosts - its a book about a girl who is watching her older sister lose herself to schizophrenia
I myself am a Paranoid schizophrenic so it has a very special place in my heart. But there are some.. disturbing scenes.
Head Full of Ghosts - its a book about a girl who is watching her older sister lose herself to schizophrenia
I myself am a Paranoid schizophrenic so it has a very special place in my heart. But there are some.. disturbing scenes.
ooSuhor.png
It's a graphic novel, but Jaybird by Jaako and Lauri Ahonen is really... weird. In a good way, though. It's short and doesn't have too much dialogue, but it's very bleak and has beautiful art.
It's a graphic novel, but Jaybird by Jaako and Lauri Ahonen is really... weird. In a good way, though. It's short and doesn't have too much dialogue, but it's very bleak and has beautiful art.
w3Zfvla.gif -Wishlist
-She/Her
-Pings are ok!
-You matter
”If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.” - Carl Sagan
Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant! This is a very good and creepy novel about a bunch of scientists that have been hired to find out if mermaids exist for a documentary. This is only slightly complicated by the fact that the last ship they sent out to do the same thing mysteriously disappeared with no survivors. Super good and gruesome and I do not recommend reading it on a beach trip like I did.

And, if you're okay with stuff that's more relevant to current events, The Tolling of Pavlov's Bells by Seanan McGuire. Technically the same author as above, but not using her horror-focused pen name. This short story is a very grim pandemic apocalypse that left me very uncomfortable, especially since I read it in April 2020. But I feel it would be extremely disturbing even without the real life context to it.

Alice Isn't Dead by Joseph Fink is another good one, it's an adaptation of a podcast of the same name about a trucker looking for her supposedly dead wife. Along the way she manages to get involved in a conspiracy involving truck stops, cannibals, ancient forces, and roadside attractions.
Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant! This is a very good and creepy novel about a bunch of scientists that have been hired to find out if mermaids exist for a documentary. This is only slightly complicated by the fact that the last ship they sent out to do the same thing mysteriously disappeared with no survivors. Super good and gruesome and I do not recommend reading it on a beach trip like I did.

And, if you're okay with stuff that's more relevant to current events, The Tolling of Pavlov's Bells by Seanan McGuire. Technically the same author as above, but not using her horror-focused pen name. This short story is a very grim pandemic apocalypse that left me very uncomfortable, especially since I read it in April 2020. But I feel it would be extremely disturbing even without the real life context to it.

Alice Isn't Dead by Joseph Fink is another good one, it's an adaptation of a podcast of the same name about a trucker looking for her supposedly dead wife. Along the way she manages to get involved in a conspiracy involving truck stops, cannibals, ancient forces, and roadside attractions.
NHCZe8E.gifnMkuik2.gifwO1H58F.gif
house of leaves was insane, i loved it. it gets pretty um, detailed/nsfw so be warned about that but the book as a whole. man. there's just nothing like it.

and it's not a horror novel but annihilation/the southern reach trilogy by jeff vandermeer is my favorite book just because it fills me with a sense of unnease every time i read it! it's surreal scifi and i recommend it to literally everyone. barely anything of what he writes makes sense but it's deeply unsettling.

he also wrote a small book called "the strange bird" that was spun off of another book/universe he wrote called borne. in the most loose and brief terms it's about an escaped science experiment. i loved it and recommend it too especially if you're looking for a quick (but not necessarily easy) read!
house of leaves was insane, i loved it. it gets pretty um, detailed/nsfw so be warned about that but the book as a whole. man. there's just nothing like it.

and it's not a horror novel but annihilation/the southern reach trilogy by jeff vandermeer is my favorite book just because it fills me with a sense of unnease every time i read it! it's surreal scifi and i recommend it to literally everyone. barely anything of what he writes makes sense but it's deeply unsettling.

he also wrote a small book called "the strange bird" that was spun off of another book/universe he wrote called borne. in the most loose and brief terms it's about an escaped science experiment. i loved it and recommend it too especially if you're looking for a quick (but not necessarily easy) read!
z8Qo9nt.gif

spencer - they/he/ix - fr +1
Star Wars: Death Troopers

Not to be confused with the Stormtrooper variant, it was a "legends" novel about a zombie plague in the Star Wars universe (and was second tier canon at the time, meaning unless the movies contradicted it, it happened). I can take scary movies in stride with the best of them, but something about the novel just unnerved me.
Star Wars: Death Troopers

Not to be confused with the Stormtrooper variant, it was a "legends" novel about a zombie plague in the Star Wars universe (and was second tier canon at the time, meaning unless the movies contradicted it, it happened). I can take scary movies in stride with the best of them, but something about the novel just unnerved me.
Formerly known as Brenning.
Like othet people hav mentioned, Unwind is an unerving, but really good read. There's three other books in the series if you're interested. I highly reccommend it if you're into dystopian settings!
Like othet people hav mentioned, Unwind is an unerving, but really good read. There's three other books in the series if you're interested. I highly reccommend it if you're into dystopian settings!
For me, every day is World Kindness Day. b59f9d9c-60d2-11eb-95e1-814ec59a413c.gifa663c882-026b-11eb-9626-db1f1f278684.gif
I read/watch/listen to a lot of horror stuff, but the only (fiction) book I've never been able to finish is Cujo by Stephen King. I don't know why it gets to me so bad, because I'm not claustrophobic or scared of big dogs, but something about the thought of being stuck in a hot car for days and being thirsty the whole time... I swear it triggers some kind of primal "NOPE" response in me.
Other than that, non-fiction books featuring... a very specific haunted object that I do not wish to name here always break me out in a cold sweat (seriously, if I think this... thing... is going to be in a book I want to read I have to have a friend/family member go though it and put sticky notes over any pictures)
I promise I'm not a lightweight on horror, I just have a very specific "NOPE" button XD
I read/watch/listen to a lot of horror stuff, but the only (fiction) book I've never been able to finish is Cujo by Stephen King. I don't know why it gets to me so bad, because I'm not claustrophobic or scared of big dogs, but something about the thought of being stuck in a hot car for days and being thirsty the whole time... I swear it triggers some kind of primal "NOPE" response in me.
Other than that, non-fiction books featuring... a very specific haunted object that I do not wish to name here always break me out in a cold sweat (seriously, if I think this... thing... is going to be in a book I want to read I have to have a friend/family member go though it and put sticky notes over any pictures)
I promise I'm not a lightweight on horror, I just have a very specific "NOPE" button XD
1JQqhES.png594nfYo.pngo454-d01-drakota77749.pngo145-d03-drakota77749.pngo145-d02-drakota77749.pngo454-d02-drakota77749.pngo454-d05-drakota77749.pngo310-d02-drakota77749.pngo454-d03-drakota77749.pngo454-d04-drakota77749.pngo145-d01-drakota77749.pngo310-d01-drakota77749.pngo310-d05-drakota77749.pngo310-d03-drakota77749.pngcedPG3i.png
lG9UFR1.png
Not a horror book, but The Loop series by Ben Oliver is seriously intense. There's an AI that takes over the world by getting people addicted to drugs, and that's the tamest part of it. Thousands of people become unwitting supersoldiers, a guy gouges his eyes out to free him from said AI, and the protagonist gets disintegrated at the end of book 2. It's not the goriest thing I've ever read, though. That honor goes to the #MurderTrending series by Gretchen McNeil, which is a clever and BRUTAL deconstruction of social media. It's one of the best things I've ever read, and I never want to read it again.
Not a horror book, but The Loop series by Ben Oliver is seriously intense. There's an AI that takes over the world by getting people addicted to drugs, and that's the tamest part of it. Thousands of people become unwitting supersoldiers, a guy gouges his eyes out to free him from said AI, and the protagonist gets disintegrated at the end of book 2. It's not the goriest thing I've ever read, though. That honor goes to the #MurderTrending series by Gretchen McNeil, which is a clever and BRUTAL deconstruction of social media. It's one of the best things I've ever read, and I never want to read it again.
Nothing much to say here.

slCEFYq.png
sZShZzW.png
I avoid horror because I'm wary of traumatizing myself -- I want to be able to disengage when I walk away and not be scared every time I think about it -- but I did briefly delve into short horror after stumbling across a really well-written Creepypasta. Someone recommended Junji Ito's The Enigma of Amigura Fault and it scared me so deeply that I had to sleep with the light on for three days. *shudders* I love superheroes, so I've encountered some pretty horrible character deaths before, but Amigura's character deaths are what nightmares are made of. I have absolutely no desire to ever read anything by that author again.
I avoid horror because I'm wary of traumatizing myself -- I want to be able to disengage when I walk away and not be scared every time I think about it -- but I did briefly delve into short horror after stumbling across a really well-written Creepypasta. Someone recommended Junji Ito's The Enigma of Amigura Fault and it scared me so deeply that I had to sleep with the light on for three days. *shudders* I love superheroes, so I've encountered some pretty horrible character deaths before, but Amigura's character deaths are what nightmares are made of. I have absolutely no desire to ever read anything by that author again.
EWVk32n.png 2myBCp7.png vnzi22K.png EZm008o.png O0Pbuvo.png
1 2 3