Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | :) is a passive aggressive emoticon
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
completely proper grammar and like capitalization and stuff just,,,, bores me so much?? if that makes any sense??? like you dont express with stuff like that

how are you suppose to tell how someone is feeling if they only type all proper and the like?? give me some flavor >:))) use weird little emoticons and italics and bold. emphasize your point !!! have some fun while youre at it

some weird habits ive picked up is adding features (extra mouths, extra eyes, etc) to normal emoticons so they didnt automatically turn into discords emojis bc i just dnt like using emojis myself most of the time. i much prefer emoticons for my own typing style ::3
they just look nicer in piles of text to me !!!

ive also picked up occasionally adding spacing between my words and punctuation ?? idk why i just think it breaks things up more haha

basically i try and make things as casual but still fun as possible so that it doesnt sound tooooooo stiff !! oh !!!! and i use uwu and owo and stuff like that bc i think theyre cute

i dont really punctuate most of the time,,, unless it needs to happen to preserve the flow of the sentence. like i wont make everything one big run on sentence, cause that would be a pain to read. but at the end of like a chunk i usually wont put that punctuation unless its needed to convey the tone i want to have

onto some assumptions,,,
hmmmmmmm

proper capitalization seems waaaayyyy too formal for regular conversation, so it makes things either feel a ton more serious or vaguely like a threat
yall intimidate me, good for you i guess??

i actually enjoy using the sort of tumblr speak, uwu im baby, stuff, but i can def see why it would be sorta scary?? bc it can feel like a front for a more actually hateful, bad person?? but like
also
its just fun.
and i have been proclaimed as group baby by my friends so its fitting for me
completely proper grammar and like capitalization and stuff just,,,, bores me so much?? if that makes any sense??? like you dont express with stuff like that

how are you suppose to tell how someone is feeling if they only type all proper and the like?? give me some flavor >:))) use weird little emoticons and italics and bold. emphasize your point !!! have some fun while youre at it

some weird habits ive picked up is adding features (extra mouths, extra eyes, etc) to normal emoticons so they didnt automatically turn into discords emojis bc i just dnt like using emojis myself most of the time. i much prefer emoticons for my own typing style ::3
they just look nicer in piles of text to me !!!

ive also picked up occasionally adding spacing between my words and punctuation ?? idk why i just think it breaks things up more haha

basically i try and make things as casual but still fun as possible so that it doesnt sound tooooooo stiff !! oh !!!! and i use uwu and owo and stuff like that bc i think theyre cute

i dont really punctuate most of the time,,, unless it needs to happen to preserve the flow of the sentence. like i wont make everything one big run on sentence, cause that would be a pain to read. but at the end of like a chunk i usually wont put that punctuation unless its needed to convey the tone i want to have

onto some assumptions,,,
hmmmmmmm

proper capitalization seems waaaayyyy too formal for regular conversation, so it makes things either feel a ton more serious or vaguely like a threat
yall intimidate me, good for you i guess??

i actually enjoy using the sort of tumblr speak, uwu im baby, stuff, but i can def see why it would be sorta scary?? bc it can feel like a front for a more actually hateful, bad person?? but like
also
its just fun.
and i have been proclaimed as group baby by my friends so its fitting for me
Yeah I get what people mean about capitalization and periods but I'm one of those people. I promise I'm not as boring or passive aggressive as I look. Well maybe a little boring. I usually try to add lmao or something so I don't come off as too serious. [quote name="PixelSpiral" date="2021-05-10 05:13:15" ] on that note? i fear people who type with all proper grammar, including punctuation, with basically no exclamation marks, on discord... theres like one or two people i know that type like this and dont intimidate me and this typing style also reminds me of a person id extremely much rather forget about forever :| [/quote] That would definitely be me if I used discord. I always assume people who use UwU and OwO use it ironically.
Yeah I get what people mean about capitalization and periods but I'm one of those people. I promise I'm not as boring or passive aggressive as I look. Well maybe a little boring. I usually try to add lmao or something so I don't come off as too serious.
PixelSpiral wrote on 2021-05-10 05:13:15:
on that note? i fear people who type with all proper grammar, including punctuation, with basically no exclamation marks, on discord... theres like one or two people i know that type like this and dont intimidate me
and this typing style also reminds me of a person id extremely much rather forget about forever :|

That would definitely be me if I used discord.

I always assume people who use UwU and OwO use it ironically.
7ec4d967d09d92be1cbc5502b91700b20e05d1c0.gif 16446.png
+ Nags +
Amateur Artist
Professional Procrastinator
Fandragon Fanatic
16438.png 1eb8ba3e2a6af91adc647d6307f1cc30fa2e6290.gif
I am a sinner for double posting, but: [quote name="gumiho" date="2021-05-10 03:13:10" ] also if i see someone use XD i tend to assume they're either younger or someone whos older than 27 and too used to 2000's era internet to change [/quote] Noticed this and wanted to +1 it. XD is definitely something I associate predominantly with people 30+. Since it went through a loudly public phase of being considered "cringe", I particularly associate it with older people who have grown past caring about others' opinions of them online. Growing to not care: it's a process, but it's great once you're there. :^) Though I'm sure I'm often wrong with that assumption. Ass-u-me, etc.
I am a sinner for double posting, but:
gumiho wrote on 2021-05-10 03:13:10:
also if i see someone use XD i tend to assume they're either younger or someone whos older than 27 and too used to 2000's era internet to change
Noticed this and wanted to +1 it. XD is definitely something I associate predominantly with people 30+. Since it went through a loudly public phase of being considered "cringe", I particularly associate it with older people who have grown past caring about others' opinions of them online. Growing to not care: it's a process, but it's great once you're there. :^)

Though I'm sure I'm often wrong with that assumption. ***-u-me, etc.
- Coli Addiction Quest/Challenge Thread
I take emoticons like ": )" at face value because the possible sarcastic smile is so person and case sensitive that it's impossible to know which one it is unless you know the person well. I use it in genuine manner myself. I hate the yellow emoji blobs - they never seem to hold proper expressions.

I also use proper punctuation, capital letters etc. because, I like in above case, it can be difficult to figure out the tone of the text, and lack of pacing or capital letters (to figure out what are names or places and not for example a slang word or abbreviation) makes it even harder to understand the other person or their mood.
I take emoticons like ": )" at face value because the possible sarcastic smile is so person and case sensitive that it's impossible to know which one it is unless you know the person well. I use it in genuine manner myself. I hate the yellow emoji blobs - they never seem to hold proper expressions.

I also use proper punctuation, capital letters etc. because, I like in above case, it can be difficult to figure out the tone of the text, and lack of pacing or capital letters (to figure out what are names or places and not for example a slang word or abbreviation) makes it even harder to understand the other person or their mood.
I still use “:)” unironically, I grew up with mid-2000s/early 2010s Internet and it was very commonplace to use unironically until around... 2014-ish, I think? I don’t use it as much as “:P” though because I find that one funnier/more fun in general. I sometimes use “XD” still, but I also don’t want to give people the wrong impression so I really don’t use it as much. I think variants of “OwO” are kinda stupid but not horrible, so I rarely use those. I used to hate “:3” for reasons I can’t remember, I like it a little now, but it’s mostly been replaced with “OwO” and its variants as far as I know, so I seldom see it anymore.

Anyway, the reason I use pretty consistent grammar is really just because I had it drilled into my head at school and one teacher kinda scared me a bit with it. School grammar is so strict kkddjkjjknd
I still use “:)” unironically, I grew up with mid-2000s/early 2010s Internet and it was very commonplace to use unironically until around... 2014-ish, I think? I don’t use it as much as “:P” though because I find that one funnier/more fun in general. I sometimes use “XD” still, but I also don’t want to give people the wrong impression so I really don’t use it as much. I think variants of “OwO” are kinda stupid but not horrible, so I rarely use those. I used to hate “:3” for reasons I can’t remember, I like it a little now, but it’s mostly been replaced with “OwO” and its variants as far as I know, so I seldom see it anymore.

Anyway, the reason I use pretty consistent grammar is really just because I had it drilled into my head at school and one teacher kinda scared me a bit with it. School grammar is so strict kkddjkjjknd
9vqTYg0.gifcfa4eab0-1638-11eb-9b4b-e1371d599c63.gifa663c882-026b-11eb-9626-db1f1f278684.giffl0edFq.gif
Banner holder by me.
I don't use "XD" near as much as I did years ago---like others have stated it gives me 12 year old vibes, mainly since I used to use that all the time when I was 12---but I feel like my typing style can usually come off as passive-aggressive when I don't mean to, especially in DMs for whatever reason, so I always try to show that I'm not threatening by using "^^" or ":D" or the FR emojis, anything really lol.

I sometimes have trouble coming up with responses mainly because its harder for me to read people when they type. So I like to make it as obvious as possible, because I don't want to put someone else through the same problems I have and potentially make 'em uncomfortable.

Edit: Also, I mainly use proper capitalization and punctuation just because, as a writer, I take ten points of psychic damage if I dont. :P Of course I don't when I'm (trying to be) funny, but yeah I do whenever I make long posts like these lol. It's just an instinct, I promise I don't bite.
I don't use "XD" near as much as I did years ago---like others have stated it gives me 12 year old vibes, mainly since I used to use that all the time when I was 12---but I feel like my typing style can usually come off as passive-aggressive when I don't mean to, especially in DMs for whatever reason, so I always try to show that I'm not threatening by using "^^" or ":D" or the FR emojis, anything really lol.

I sometimes have trouble coming up with responses mainly because its harder for me to read people when they type. So I like to make it as obvious as possible, because I don't want to put someone else through the same problems I have and potentially make 'em uncomfortable.

Edit: Also, I mainly use proper capitalization and punctuation just because, as a writer, I take ten points of psychic damage if I dont. :P Of course I don't when I'm (trying to be) funny, but yeah I do whenever I make long posts like these lol. It's just an instinct, I promise I don't bite.
red lizard from rain world

» Formerly Ceruleanfire, Springfire
» She/Her
» +2 FR Time || Pings welcome!
[quote name="ShadowStorm1404" date="2021-05-10 11:12:36" ] ive also picked up occasionally adding spacing between my words and punctuation ?? idk why i just think it breaks things up more haha [/quote] I STARTED DOING THAT VERY RECENTLy i dont know why its just a habit and i like how it looks ! as for my own typing style - i am the one who invented typos so therefore i will make a lot and not fix them - also a terrible habit of purposely misspelling words or sentences - ive got no need for much punctuation and capitalizing words ! i only do capitalize for Emphasis - yall ever stack spaces instead of using commas like a normal person [img]https://i.ibb.co/B40nCVg/dgsfc.png[/img] - i like the occaconal emoticon. i accidentally invented ":}" a few weeks ago and have been using it ever since! it somehow has bug vibes - i like exclamation marks im trying to use more of them - i also like stacking exclamation marks in excitement
ShadowStorm1404 wrote on 2021-05-10 11:12:36:
I STARTED DOING THAT VERY RECENTLy i dont know why its just a habit and i like how it looks !

as for my own typing style
- i am the one who invented typos so therefore i will make a lot and not fix them
- also a terrible habit of purposely misspelling words or sentences
- ive got no need for much punctuation and capitalizing words ! i only do capitalize for Emphasis
- yall ever stack spaces instead of using commas like a normal person
dgsfc.png
- i like the occaconal emoticon. i accidentally invented ":}" a few weeks ago and have been using it ever since! it somehow has bug vibes
- i like exclamation marks im trying to use more of them
- i also like stacking exclamation marks in excitement
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
Well, text-based culture has evolved over the years, so it makes perfect sense. If people usually use :) when they are being passive-aggressive, it will generally be associated with that use as people pick up on cues. General usage --> general interpretations --> even more general usage as more people use it in that manner intentionally.
Well, text-based culture has evolved over the years, so it makes perfect sense. If people usually use :) when they are being passive-aggressive, it will generally be associated with that use as people pick up on cues. General usage --> general interpretations --> even more general usage as more people use it in that manner intentionally.
The most beautiful moment of life
i can see how people think that but i use it to be genuine, honest!!
i can see how people think that but i use it to be genuine, honest!!
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
I can see that, but I usually interpret it as genuine. I just like it ^^

also anyone who uses "bestie" i usually see as condescending. i just get that vibe from it. the people i know use it don't help.
I can see that, but I usually interpret it as genuine. I just like it ^^

also anyone who uses "bestie" i usually see as condescending. i just get that vibe from it. the people i know use it don't help.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13