Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Trading Card Games?
1 2
Anyone else like playing TCGs? If so, which do you play? What decks do you play? Any new sets that you're looking forward to?

I play Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon (mostly online, but played MTG and PTCG in-person a bit before COVID). My current decks are UR Shark Attack in MTG; Pure Eldlich in Yu-Gi-Oh; and Welder Box in PTCG. Really looking forward to Kaldheim and Battle Styles!

I like collecting some old or less popular TCG products, but don't get to play them very much (Chaotic, Argent Saga, Flesh and Blood). Recently picked up some starter decks of an old Lovecraft themed TCG called Mythos, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
Anyone else like playing TCGs? If so, which do you play? What decks do you play? Any new sets that you're looking forward to?

I play Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon (mostly online, but played MTG and PTCG in-person a bit before COVID). My current decks are UR Shark Attack in MTG; Pure Eldlich in Yu-Gi-Oh; and Welder Box in PTCG. Really looking forward to Kaldheim and Battle Styles!

I like collecting some old or less popular TCG products, but don't get to play them very much (Chaotic, Argent Saga, Flesh and Blood). Recently picked up some starter decks of an old Lovecraft themed TCG called Mythos, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
I used to play Magic, but then I got burnt out. I used a mill deck when I played.
I used to play Magic, but then I got burnt out. I used a mill deck when I played.
I used to play YuGiOh, not so much anymore as players dried up in the area. Nowadays my focus is deck builder games as both players don't need to buy a ton of cards for themselves to play.
I used to play YuGiOh, not so much anymore as players dried up in the area. Nowadays my focus is deck builder games as both players don't need to buy a ton of cards for themselves to play.
My writing project.
Oh gosh, where to start? Like a lot of people, I've played the standards (and still have plenty of Magic, YGO and Pokemon cards), but I've also owned numerous more and played more still.

I actually have a card gaming bag (a bookbag) that I keep my card game supplies and ready decks in. Boxes and binders of cards stay home (unless I'm trying to trade/sell), but my bag has decks from multiple games (including some long out of print games) just in case I come across someone who wants to play. It doesn't happen too often, but every once in a while I do get lucky enough and find someone who wants to play or we take a trip to another town to a gaming shop and find out a casual tournament or something is going on.

I also have a habit of making YGO and Magic decks for friends based around their personalities since I've got tons of extra cards.
Oh gosh, where to start? Like a lot of people, I've played the standards (and still have plenty of Magic, YGO and Pokemon cards), but I've also owned numerous more and played more still.

I actually have a card gaming bag (a bookbag) that I keep my card game supplies and ready decks in. Boxes and binders of cards stay home (unless I'm trying to trade/sell), but my bag has decks from multiple games (including some long out of print games) just in case I come across someone who wants to play. It doesn't happen too often, but every once in a while I do get lucky enough and find someone who wants to play or we take a trip to another town to a gaming shop and find out a casual tournament or something is going on.

I also have a habit of making YGO and Magic decks for friends based around their personalities since I've got tons of extra cards.
Formerly known as Brenning.
@BunnyUnicorn Cool! I don't have a dedicated bag, but I have a pairs of decks of various TCGs in case people want to play (basically like having board games around the house). Planning on dedicating an Ultimate Guard ArkHive to each game when I get a chance to buy more packs/decks/singles to fill them up a bit more.

Do you have any suggestions for out-of-print/less popular TCGs? Always keeping my eye out for TCGs I can buy a pair of starter decks for. Not super into buying packs for out-of-print games. Chaotic is the only out-of-print game I've bought packs for, so far.
@BunnyUnicorn Cool! I don't have a dedicated bag, but I have a pairs of decks of various TCGs in case people want to play (basically like having board games around the house). Planning on dedicating an Ultimate Guard ArkHive to each game when I get a chance to buy more packs/decks/singles to fill them up a bit more.

Do you have any suggestions for out-of-print/less popular TCGs? Always keeping my eye out for TCGs I can buy a pair of starter decks for. Not super into buying packs for out-of-print games. Chaotic is the only out-of-print game I've bought packs for, so far.
[quote name="Pogmigglarch" date="2021-01-27 13:56:08" ] Do you have any suggestions for out-of-print/less popular TCGs? Always keeping my eye out for TCGs I can buy a pair of starter decks for. Not super into buying packs for out-of-print games. Chaotic is the only out-of-print game I've bought packs for, so far. [/quote] @Pogmigglarch Vs System by Upper Deck from the mid/late 2000's is pretty intriguing. It is a superhero themed game with the majority of sets based on Marvel and DC properties, but they also had a set based on Hellboy. It is one of the few superhero TCGs I really liked (I have another one called Overpower that wasn't too bad, but wasn't particularly great either). The Middle Earth CCG from the mid/late 90's was also a hoot. Can seem a little complicated the first time you give it a go, but not needlessly so and is pretty easy to get the hang of once you give it a go. BattleTech CCG is also great, and was worked on by Richard Garfield (who created M:TG). The game is pretty simple and easier to pick up how to play than M;TG, but still is engaging and enjoyable.
Pogmigglarch wrote on 2021-01-27 13:56:08:

@Pogmigglarch

Vs System by Upper Deck from the mid/late 2000's is pretty intriguing. It is a superhero themed game with the majority of sets based on Marvel and DC properties, but they also had a set based on Hellboy. It is one of the few superhero TCGs I really liked (I have another one called Overpower that wasn't too bad, but wasn't particularly great either).

The Middle Earth CCG from the mid/late 90's was also a hoot. Can seem a little complicated the first time you give it a go, but not needlessly so and is pretty easy to get the hang of once you give it a go.

BattleTech CCG is also great, and was worked on by Richard Garfield (who created M:TG). The game is pretty simple and easier to pick up how to play than M;TG, but still is engaging and enjoyable.
Formerly known as Brenning.
@BunnyUnicorn Ah, thanks! Think I've heard about the first three you mentioned on a podcast, and had been meaning to look more into them—the Middle Earth CCG seems particularly interesting. Don't believe I've hard of BattleTech, though, so will definitely check that out.
@BunnyUnicorn Ah, thanks! Think I've heard about the first three you mentioned on a podcast, and had been meaning to look more into them—the Middle Earth CCG seems particularly interesting. Don't believe I've hard of BattleTech, though, so will definitely check that out.
I played mtg in highschool. Ran a life gain deck with multiple Felidar Sovereign's, multiple Defiant Bloodlord's, and an Alhammarret's Archive.

While it was a quality deck, there were people in the school I went to who paid hundreds of dollars of their parents money to some people on the internet to build pro level decks for them. Really sucks the fun from the game. To spend your own personal time and money to build something with your own hands, something you are proud of, and then get wrecked by that.
I played mtg in highschool. Ran a life gain deck with multiple Felidar Sovereign's, multiple Defiant Bloodlord's, and an Alhammarret's Archive.

While it was a quality deck, there were people in the school I went to who paid hundreds of dollars of their parents money to some people on the internet to build pro level decks for them. Really sucks the fun from the game. To spend your own personal time and money to build something with your own hands, something you are proud of, and then get wrecked by that.
............... 29169624.png ........... 29169625.png ........... 42368851.png ...........
I play mtg! I run commander rather than regular magic, though. I also play Yu Gi Oh on my switch if that counts?
I play mtg! I run commander rather than regular magic, though. I also play Yu Gi Oh on my switch if that counts?
tumblr_inline_mjvop8mMef1qz4rgp.gif tumblr_md2y0qnWDS1qk1or3.gif
I’ve played magic a few times, but my goodness I was into Pokémon as a kiddo. I was so proud that I actually knew how to play, unlike most of the Pokémon collectors in my class >:)
I’ve played magic a few times, but my goodness I was into Pokémon as a kiddo. I was so proud that I actually knew how to play, unlike most of the Pokémon collectors in my class >:)
OQwOmsS.pngjt3PpxV.pngold-oaks-3.png
1 2