Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Daily snake!
1 2 3 4 5 6
i'm sick with a fever and i love snakes, bassi is so adorable and i want to protect him and see him grow healthy and i want to tell my friends and neighbors about him, may i be on the pinglist please? ;0;
i'm sick with a fever and i love snakes, bassi is so adorable and i want to protect him and see him grow healthy and i want to tell my friends and neighbors about him, may i be on the pinglist please? ;0;
@Dynami Sure!
@Dynami Sure!
64044332-Hoard.png xeDKNxe.png
So I just read through this hole thing and I know you said in the beginning your sister prepared to keep a snake for over a year, but tbh most of this stuff kinda makes me question whether you read/watched anything from reliable sources at all and if she's actually old enough to take responsibility for such an animal... I'm actually kinda surprised he eats at all with all that stress/handling after not even getting a full week to really settle in and out of proportion terra set up, but then again corns are able to endure a lot before you notice anything wrong. You really should reconsider how you go about this and do some actual research into (corn) snakes, what they need and how they behave, because while you guys could be lucky it can also end real bad for that poor snake. First of snakes are no petting animals and while yes, they do get used to it at some point and aren't as stressed out by it anymore they still are nothing like a cat or dog that wants to be pet at all times and watch youtube...you might wanna check the sound of those vids he supposedly loves so much because snakes can feel vibrations and it may very well send him into a fight or flight mode, which is nothing but stress for him and causes him to go still. Same goes for the patting his back thing, if you wanna socialize your snake you don't start with that. Anything coming from above is filed under "predator, danger" (there's a reason terrariums usually open in the front and not at the top like aquariums) so you start by taking it out coming from the side, going under its belly and letting it slide over your hand. Once it remains calm while you get it out and stays that way on your hand you can slowly work your way up along the flanks and up back and then move your fingers under its chin and up its jaw etc.. Always move calm and slow, don't actually grip it but follow the snakes movement with your hands and again give it time or you might regret it in the future. [url=https://youtu.be/7VQpxfzFTJc]Here's a pretty good video where the whole handling and socializing thing's shown and explained[/url] maybe give it a try :) So I'm not saying don't touch them at all, I handle my snakes on a regular basis as well and it does help you and the animal to get used to it. 'Cause even if you're a die hard, do not touch reptile keeper you'll have to handle them at some point. But please keep in mind you got yourself a snake no fluffy, cuddly dog. And please if you fed him leave him and his home alone for at least 2-3 days, so he can digest his food in peace and isn't scared/stressed into throwing the mice up again. The other point beside the constant handling is the set up that's way too big for such a small snake and doesn't even offer a few branches to climb on...corns climb, a lot and while that backdrop may look nice for us it doesn't do anything for the snake. Give him a few proper levels to climb and lounge on and branches as well, he'll thank you for that. The whole moving around a lot can also very well mean that he's looking for but can't find a propper place to hide or one with the right temperature or both. His one hide (there should be at least 3-4) is maybe okay for an adult but not a tiny baby noodle. Snakes need hides where they can squeeze into and feel the walls on all sides to really feel secure...[url=https://64.media.tumblr.com/04cd5053a5947f27abfbaf3188a90aa3/2d0706d313b08911-13/s640x960/613c7ea3c4af5eea5fc057d2b2bd9de290c6bc0d.png]case in point one of my adult, 12 year old, 1,40m corns coming out of a hide about the size of the one you got,[/url] sometimes the two of them even go in there together. So maybe get some bark pieces, halfed coconuts or smaller caves you can put in there, those are great for such small snakes. You can also put them on different levels to offer him hides in several zones so he can decide whereever he wants to go. Just to give you guys an idea, here's what the habitat of my two corns looks like (minus a low cave on the bottom 'cause it was in the box with my girls while I was cleaning): [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/4f7e9b2bb2d0ab92c189efb041a25285/2d0706d313b08911-fc/s640x960/b276c04a49006c30fd56ebb9d3b6beb2ab2b0f9d.jpg[/img] Lots of levels, branches, plants (fake and real) and 15 hides in different heights and temp zones. Of course mine are adult already and you shouldn't go all out like that with baby snakes 'cause they'll need more space eventually and grow with their terra, but you can easily do that with cardboard which can be easily replaced should he poop on it. At least that's what I did with my baby garter snakes until they were old enough to move into their final home and it worked perfectly. Okay, I think that's all for now...I'm sorry for the wall of text, didn't actually mean for it to get so long but I just want you to have a happy, healthy snake and had to get that out there ^^'
So I just read through this hole thing and I know you said in the beginning your sister prepared to keep a snake for over a year, but tbh most of this stuff kinda makes me question whether you read/watched anything from reliable sources at all and if she's actually old enough to take responsibility for such an animal...

I'm actually kinda surprised he eats at all with all that stress/handling after not even getting a full week to really settle in and out of proportion terra set up, but then again corns are able to endure a lot before you notice anything wrong. You really should reconsider how you go about this and do some actual research into (corn) snakes, what they need and how they behave, because while you guys could be lucky it can also end real bad for that poor snake.

First of snakes are no petting animals and while yes, they do get used to it at some point and aren't as stressed out by it anymore they still are nothing like a cat or dog that wants to be pet at all times and watch youtube...you might wanna check the sound of those vids he supposedly loves so much because snakes can feel vibrations and it may very well send him into a fight or flight mode, which is nothing but stress for him and causes him to go still.

Same goes for the patting his back thing, if you wanna socialize your snake you don't start with that. Anything coming from above is filed under "predator, danger" (there's a reason terrariums usually open in the front and not at the top like aquariums) so you start by taking it out coming from the side, going under its belly and letting it slide over your hand.

Once it remains calm while you get it out and stays that way on your hand you can slowly work your way up along the flanks and up back and then move your fingers under its chin and up its jaw etc.. Always move calm and slow, don't actually grip it but follow the snakes movement with your hands and again give it time or you might regret it in the future. Here's a pretty good video where the whole handling and socializing thing's shown and explained maybe give it a try :)

So I'm not saying don't touch them at all, I handle my snakes on a regular basis as well and it does help you and the animal to get used to it. 'Cause even if you're a die hard, do not touch reptile keeper you'll have to handle them at some point. But please keep in mind you got yourself a snake no fluffy, cuddly dog.

And please if you fed him leave him and his home alone for at least 2-3 days, so he can digest his food in peace and isn't scared/stressed into throwing the mice up again.

The other point beside the constant handling is the set up that's way too big for such a small snake and doesn't even offer a few branches to climb on...corns climb, a lot and while that backdrop may look nice for us it doesn't do anything for the snake. Give him a few proper levels to climb and lounge on and branches as well, he'll thank you for that. The whole moving around a lot can also very well mean that he's looking for but can't find a propper place to hide or one with the right temperature or both.

His one hide (there should be at least 3-4) is maybe okay for an adult but not a tiny baby noodle. Snakes need hides where they can squeeze into and feel the walls on all sides to really feel secure...case in point one of my adult, 12 year old, 1,40m corns coming out of a hide about the size of the one you got, sometimes the two of them even go in there together. So maybe get some bark pieces, halfed coconuts or smaller caves you can put in there, those are great for such small snakes. You can also put them on different levels to offer him hides in several zones so he can decide whereever he wants to go.

Just to give you guys an idea, here's what the habitat of my two corns looks like (minus a low cave on the bottom 'cause it was in the box with my girls while I was cleaning):

b276c04a49006c30fd56ebb9d3b6beb2ab2b0f9d.jpg

Lots of levels, branches, plants (fake and real) and 15 hides in different heights and temp zones. Of course mine are adult already and you shouldn't go all out like that with baby snakes 'cause they'll need more space eventually and grow with their terra, but you can easily do that with cardboard which can be easily replaced should he poop on it. At least that's what I did with my baby garter snakes until they were old enough to move into their final home and it worked perfectly.

Okay, I think that's all for now...I'm sorry for the wall of text, didn't actually mean for it to get so long but I just want you to have a happy, healthy snake and had to get that out there ^^'
3d0f9ea7ae3316ba4e3a56f0ea9d9a3dbd6ee080.png
@Nioell
I do appreciate the tips, but the snake doesn’t belong to me. I know next to nothing about him, so any scolding would have to be given to my sister. When she feeds the snake, she knows that she’s not supposed to handle him for a long while after he eats. We don’t handle him super often- it’s just that these recaps make it seem as though he’s always out. He’s only ever out like, once a day for about 5 or so minutes- and hardly ever in front of the computer. (She’s only done that once)

Also: She had to pay for this all on her own, and we’ve got limited space. Whereas I completely agree, the snake should have lots of layers and lots of space, but we don’t have the money or space for that.
Someday in the future, maybe.

Basilisk’s favorite spot is actually in my sister’s sleeve, so during the little amount of time that he’s out, he’s tucked into her sleeve. She’s still young, so she has to go to school everyday= at least 6 hours of solitude. It is more than that, I know.

These ‘snake updates’ don’t really tell you everything that we’re doing, they’re only meant to be short and sweet. If I said everything that we do every day, this would get pretty boring.

The thing with the holding- We never hold him super tightly. He moves around quite freely, Whenever he’s in our hands we’re basically just just trees- when he decides to crawl around on our hands and not chill in someone’s sleeve.

So again, I really do appreciate all your tips and help, but believe me, she’s sunk a lot of time and effort into properly researching corn snakes, and I did not know that we should add more hiding places, but other than that, we’ve got this.
@Nioell
I do appreciate the tips, but the snake doesn’t belong to me. I know next to nothing about him, so any scolding would have to be given to my sister. When she feeds the snake, she knows that she’s not supposed to handle him for a long while after he eats. We don’t handle him super often- it’s just that these recaps make it seem as though he’s always out. He’s only ever out like, once a day for about 5 or so minutes- and hardly ever in front of the computer. (She’s only done that once)

Also: She had to pay for this all on her own, and we’ve got limited space. Whereas I completely agree, the snake should have lots of layers and lots of space, but we don’t have the money or space for that.
Someday in the future, maybe.

Basilisk’s favorite spot is actually in my sister’s sleeve, so during the little amount of time that he’s out, he’s tucked into her sleeve. She’s still young, so she has to go to school everyday= at least 6 hours of solitude. It is more than that, I know.

These ‘snake updates’ don’t really tell you everything that we’re doing, they’re only meant to be short and sweet. If I said everything that we do every day, this would get pretty boring.

The thing with the holding- We never hold him super tightly. He moves around quite freely, Whenever he’s in our hands we’re basically just just trees- when he decides to crawl around on our hands and not chill in someone’s sleeve.

So again, I really do appreciate all your tips and help, but believe me, she’s sunk a lot of time and effort into properly researching corn snakes, and I did not know that we should add more hiding places, but other than that, we’ve got this.
@BladeMorality

I know he belongs to your sister but from the way you're writing it seems you're spending quite some time with her and the snake, so I thought you surely could rely some stuff to her...

And like I said you can give him a better set up simply using cardboard boxes (toilet paper rolls work great, too btw) and by going out and collecting some bark and branches that you can put in there, nothing expansive about that. And if it's really a matter of not being able to provide the necessary space and/or not having the money for it, then maybe you shouldn't have gotten that pet at all.

I'm sorry but whenever I read something along those lines it makes my hackles rise because, no matter what animal you wanna get, you do your research and while doing so you get an idea of how much space you'll need and what it'll cost to provide for it all things considered. So to then go and get that animal anyway and later on use not enough money/space as an excuse for something that's lacking is just no.

And you're right I can only base my post on what you shared and that's why I included the handling stuff again, since it really doesn't read like not often/long or only infront of the PC once at all. Besides, it never hurts to get some pointers when it comes to their body language and where you should/shouldn't touch a snake at any given time, not for me after a decade of snake keeping and certainly not for a new first time owner.

Anyway, the advice is there for you to take or leave. Like I said, I just want any sneks to be healthy and happy and get whatever they need so they're able to go after as much of their nature as is possible in captivity.
@BladeMorality

I know he belongs to your sister but from the way you're writing it seems you're spending quite some time with her and the snake, so I thought you surely could rely some stuff to her...

And like I said you can give him a better set up simply using cardboard boxes (toilet paper rolls work great, too btw) and by going out and collecting some bark and branches that you can put in there, nothing expansive about that. And if it's really a matter of not being able to provide the necessary space and/or not having the money for it, then maybe you shouldn't have gotten that pet at all.

I'm sorry but whenever I read something along those lines it makes my hackles rise because, no matter what animal you wanna get, you do your research and while doing so you get an idea of how much space you'll need and what it'll cost to provide for it all things considered. So to then go and get that animal anyway and later on use not enough money/space as an excuse for something that's lacking is just no.

And you're right I can only base my post on what you shared and that's why I included the handling stuff again, since it really doesn't read like not often/long or only infront of the PC once at all. Besides, it never hurts to get some pointers when it comes to their body language and where you should/shouldn't touch a snake at any given time, not for me after a decade of snake keeping and certainly not for a new first time owner.

Anyway, the advice is there for you to take or leave. Like I said, I just want any sneks to be healthy and happy and get whatever they need so they're able to go after as much of their nature as is possible in captivity.
3d0f9ea7ae3316ba4e3a56f0ea9d9a3dbd6ee080.png
ye the noodle
ye the noodle
@Nioelle Hello! This is Blade's sister, I've logged in for her for a quick moment and noticed these notifications. I wish to reply to them firsthand if that's alright.

I've done more than a year of research before getting my first snake, and I do plan to add more layers and things like that as my budget expands! I've only put him in front of my computer to see how he would react once, and not for more than 5 minutes, and I don't handle him every single day, and ESPECIALLY not right after he eats. I pick him up to put him in a 20-gallon feeding tank, feed him, and he has a hide space in there as well. When he's done, I'll wait for him to go into his hide (a shoebox) before picking up the hide itself and placing it into his tank (a 40 gallon); after that he'll slither out, no harm done. I feed him every Monday, and I have a sign on the outside of his terrarium that states he is not to be picked up or disturbed until Thursday. I have had him for about a year now, and I understand your worry about any snek.

A quick reminder that what you see online is not the whole story, and there is quite a bit that happens behind the scenes as well. And I would DEFINITELY not get a corn snake if I wasn't prepared; I had been interested in snakes about a year before actually researching, and another year of researching happened before I got my snake, and I've had him for a year now. And I understand my sister's kind intent to put up snek updates, but obviously, since she did not pay for him, nor feed or clean out his terrarium, handle him often, etc. she does not know the full story.

If you're concerned or want to know anything else, my FR username is BrookLeap. And thank you for the concern again, I've seen some truly horrid snake owners out there and it raises my hackles as well, I'm glad you're putting out reliable information! The internet is too full of things that people claim are good for snakes, but are actually quite detrimental to their mental and physical health.

Have a good day!
BrookLeap
@Nioelle Hello! This is Blade's sister, I've logged in for her for a quick moment and noticed these notifications. I wish to reply to them firsthand if that's alright.

I've done more than a year of research before getting my first snake, and I do plan to add more layers and things like that as my budget expands! I've only put him in front of my computer to see how he would react once, and not for more than 5 minutes, and I don't handle him every single day, and ESPECIALLY not right after he eats. I pick him up to put him in a 20-gallon feeding tank, feed him, and he has a hide space in there as well. When he's done, I'll wait for him to go into his hide (a shoebox) before picking up the hide itself and placing it into his tank (a 40 gallon); after that he'll slither out, no harm done. I feed him every Monday, and I have a sign on the outside of his terrarium that states he is not to be picked up or disturbed until Thursday. I have had him for about a year now, and I understand your worry about any snek.

A quick reminder that what you see online is not the whole story, and there is quite a bit that happens behind the scenes as well. And I would DEFINITELY not get a corn snake if I wasn't prepared; I had been interested in snakes about a year before actually researching, and another year of researching happened before I got my snake, and I've had him for a year now. And I understand my sister's kind intent to put up snek updates, but obviously, since she did not pay for him, nor feed or clean out his terrarium, handle him often, etc. she does not know the full story.

If you're concerned or want to know anything else, my FR username is BrookLeap. And thank you for the concern again, I've seen some truly horrid snake owners out there and it raises my hackles as well, I'm glad you're putting out reliable information! The internet is too full of things that people claim are good for snakes, but are actually quite detrimental to their mental and physical health.

Have a good day!
BrookLeap
Basilisk is adorable.
Basilisk is adorable.
6iOpr3w.pngCheuG1b.png
1 2 3 4 5 6