Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book recs?
1 2 3 4 5 6
I'd recommend Station 11 by Emily St. John Mandel!

I'd only recommend it if you're not too concerned about corona virus, as it's more sci-fi pandemic dystopia (emphasis on the dystopia) than it is fantasy. I'd say give it a try even if it doesn't immediately appeal to you. I was pleasantly surprised by a number of twist and turns, and was also surprised by the amount of thoughtful world building, which extended beyond 'everyone is dead and everything is bad'

I'd also recommend the Wizard of Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin if you haven't' been recommended it already - I haven't read it in a while but it's a comforting read and has plenty of recognisable fantasy traits

My final rec would be the Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne and Todd McCafferey - probably my favourite set of books I've recommended :>

If you don't have much time to read them all, I'd priorities them in this order (just my opinion though obvs)

1) Wizard of Earthsea
2) Riders of Pern
3) Station 11
I'd recommend Station 11 by Emily St. John Mandel!

I'd only recommend it if you're not too concerned about corona virus, as it's more sci-fi pandemic dystopia (emphasis on the dystopia) than it is fantasy. I'd say give it a try even if it doesn't immediately appeal to you. I was pleasantly surprised by a number of twist and turns, and was also surprised by the amount of thoughtful world building, which extended beyond 'everyone is dead and everything is bad'

I'd also recommend the Wizard of Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin if you haven't' been recommended it already - I haven't read it in a while but it's a comforting read and has plenty of recognisable fantasy traits

My final rec would be the Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne and Todd McCafferey - probably my favourite set of books I've recommended :>

If you don't have much time to read them all, I'd priorities them in this order (just my opinion though obvs)

1) Wizard of Earthsea
2) Riders of Pern
3) Station 11
they/them | fr time +8 | active/inactive | wishlist
@Faasnu I don't know if you've read these but Sara J Maas has two series', the Throne of Glass series and A Court of Thorns and Roses series, both are pretty good! Also Wings of Fire is a good fun read!
@Faasnu I don't know if you've read these but Sara J Maas has two series', the Throne of Glass series and A Court of Thorns and Roses series, both are pretty good! Also Wings of Fire is a good fun read!
MY SUBSPECIES- https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/2896254/1#post_44270766
dctkgvi-27684a4f-c439-425c-900d-648940bdcfa1.png
@Faasnu ah! i love fantasy as well and would be pleased to provide you with some recommendations.

1. 'The girl who drank the moon' by Kelly Barnhill- fantasy/magic/poetic -amazingly weird adventure in which a girl is raised by a witch and has to learn to control her magic before it gets out of hand. it also has a prequel, 'In which a lost girl discovers bees' that explains the witch's background. ive only read the first one, but i wouldnt be surprised if this was a favorite as well.

2. 'Serafina and the black cloak' by Robert Beatty- supernatural/mystery/historic -set in late 1800s/early 1900s at biltmore estate (a real place in north carolina, look up pictures, its beautiful!) where a young girl with strange abilities who lives in the basement of biltmore- unknown to the people above -witnesses a 'kidnapping' by a man in a black cloak, and when nobody can find the missing person, she must reveal herself to the above world to stop the man in the black cloak.

its a part of an ongoing series, there are currently four books avalible right now. all of them are a good read, but it gets a bit darker as it goes on, nothing too serious but something to watch out for.

3. 'Willa of the wood' also by Robert Beatty- fantasy/mystery/slightly historic -set in the same world/time as serafina, the main character is part of a magical race called the faeren who steal from the evil humans cutting down their forest and hunting the wildlife. there are a lot of twists in this one so i wont spoil it too much.

4. 'Artemis fowl' by Eoin Colfer- sci-fi fantasy -artemis fowl, 12 year old son of a criminal mastermind and a mastermind himself, tries to find the mythical fairies to steal their gold. The fairies, armed with high-tech and magic, will do anything to stop him. theres eight books in the series, highly recommended, especially if you want a longer series to stretch over weeks, even months if you want.

5. 'Renegades' by Marissa Meyer- sci-fi fantasy/superheroes -alternating perspectives of nova aka nightmare, and adrian aka sketch. nova is a member of the anarchists, an organization working to bring down the 'so called heroes' renegades. adrian seems to be the complete opposite of nova, being the adopted son of two of the founding renegades and being the poster boy for the organization. really cool story, especially if you enjoy a good morals discussion and lots of interesting characters. part of a trilogy, ive read the second but not the third, its very good though.

6. 'Welcome to night vale' by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor- supernatural/mystery/WEIRD -based on a podcast of the same name, the story follows two characters living in the town of night vale. one is eternally-19-year-old owner of a local pawn shop who is given a strange piece of paper by an even stranger man that, strangely, nobody can seem to remember. The other is an office worker who tries to find two of her missing coworkers, one of which, strangely enough, no one can seem to remember.

this takes a different perspective than the podcast, which i recommend as well, but still has the same vibe of being half awake in a fever dream. there is some language, but theres only 1 or 2 really bad words in the entire book, not terrible. there are some other night vale books, but those are just the podcast but written down. dont get confused although you certainly will be after reading this book

looking back on this post, its.. really long... but that just means theres a lot of good stuff! i highly recommend any of these, and if youd like more although i doubt it considering i put like a whole page worth maybe pm me and we can talk books?

hope you enjoy! -gala
@Faasnu ah! i love fantasy as well and would be pleased to provide you with some recommendations.

1. 'The girl who drank the moon' by Kelly Barnhill- fantasy/magic/poetic -amazingly weird adventure in which a girl is raised by a witch and has to learn to control her magic before it gets out of hand. it also has a prequel, 'In which a lost girl discovers bees' that explains the witch's background. ive only read the first one, but i wouldnt be surprised if this was a favorite as well.

2. 'Serafina and the black cloak' by Robert Beatty- supernatural/mystery/historic -set in late 1800s/early 1900s at biltmore estate (a real place in north carolina, look up pictures, its beautiful!) where a young girl with strange abilities who lives in the basement of biltmore- unknown to the people above -witnesses a 'kidnapping' by a man in a black cloak, and when nobody can find the missing person, she must reveal herself to the above world to stop the man in the black cloak.

its a part of an ongoing series, there are currently four books avalible right now. all of them are a good read, but it gets a bit darker as it goes on, nothing too serious but something to watch out for.

3. 'Willa of the wood' also by Robert Beatty- fantasy/mystery/slightly historic -set in the same world/time as serafina, the main character is part of a magical race called the faeren who steal from the evil humans cutting down their forest and hunting the wildlife. there are a lot of twists in this one so i wont spoil it too much.

4. 'Artemis fowl' by Eoin Colfer- sci-fi fantasy -artemis fowl, 12 year old son of a criminal mastermind and a mastermind himself, tries to find the mythical fairies to steal their gold. The fairies, armed with high-tech and magic, will do anything to stop him. theres eight books in the series, highly recommended, especially if you want a longer series to stretch over weeks, even months if you want.

5. 'Renegades' by Marissa Meyer- sci-fi fantasy/superheroes -alternating perspectives of nova aka nightmare, and adrian aka sketch. nova is a member of the anarchists, an organization working to bring down the 'so called heroes' renegades. adrian seems to be the complete opposite of nova, being the adopted son of two of the founding renegades and being the poster boy for the organization. really cool story, especially if you enjoy a good morals discussion and lots of interesting characters. part of a trilogy, ive read the second but not the third, its very good though.

6. 'Welcome to night vale' by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor- supernatural/mystery/WEIRD -based on a podcast of the same name, the story follows two characters living in the town of night vale. one is eternally-19-year-old owner of a local pawn shop who is given a strange piece of paper by an even stranger man that, strangely, nobody can seem to remember. The other is an office worker who tries to find two of her missing coworkers, one of which, strangely enough, no one can seem to remember.

this takes a different perspective than the podcast, which i recommend as well, but still has the same vibe of being half awake in a fever dream. there is some language, but theres only 1 or 2 really bad words in the entire book, not terrible. there are some other night vale books, but those are just the podcast but written down. dont get confused although you certainly will be after reading this book

looking back on this post, its.. really long... but that just means theres a lot of good stuff! i highly recommend any of these, and if youd like more although i doubt it considering i put like a whole page worth maybe pm me and we can talk books?

hope you enjoy! -gala
--michael/gala/gw
--xe/xem/xyr pronouns only please
--vibing
The One and Only Ivan is a REALLY great book. A Wrinkle in Time is also pretty good.
The One and Only Ivan is a REALLY great book. A Wrinkle in Time is also pretty good.
@HabeasCorpus - I'll give Station 11 a look! It seems cool.

I actually own the entire Earthsea series. I've only read the first book but I liked it. Ged is pretty cool.

I've also been meaning to read Riders of Pern! Thanks for reminding me!
@HabeasCorpus - I'll give Station 11 a look! It seems cool.

I actually own the entire Earthsea series. I've only read the first book but I liked it. Ged is pretty cool.

I've also been meaning to read Riders of Pern! Thanks for reminding me!
1391_350px_rainforest_by_miirshroom-dbvjs1a.png
[color=#800040]I highly recommend the Summer King Chronicles and its follow-up, the Dragon Star Saga, by Jess E. Owen! They have gryphons, dragons, wolves, lions, african wild dogs, ravens ... honestly, what more do you want? :D Honestly, though, they're some of my favourite books with tons of likeable characters, no black-and-white thinking, interesting world building and great storylines. Plus they're just super pretty to look at, which is always a nice bonus in my opinion [emoji=ridgeback laughing size=1] I also just finished Eyrie by K. Vale Nagle, which is also about gryphons. Not as good as Jess E. Owen's books, but still pretty interesting, especially the world building and central conflict of the story -- gryphons vs. opinici. I really enjoyed The Mermaid by Christina Henry. Based on the reviews I saw for this book, people either hate it or love it, so maybe it's an aquired taste? I dunno. Again, I personally loved it ¯\_(:/)_/¯ Edit: I forgot to mention A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan! The whole series is lovely. It's one of those rare cases where each book is just as good as the one that came before it. It's set in the Victorian Era of a fantasy world, where dragons exists, but instead of being magical creatures, they're just animals that evolved to fit into specific ecological niches. Really loved that approach to dragons![/color]
I highly recommend the Summer King Chronicles and its follow-up, the Dragon Star Saga, by Jess E. Owen! They have gryphons, dragons, wolves, lions, african wild dogs, ravens ... honestly, what more do you want? :D Honestly, though, they're some of my favourite books with tons of likeable characters, no black-and-white thinking, interesting world building and great storylines. Plus they're just super pretty to look at, which is always a nice bonus in my opinion

I also just finished Eyrie by K. Vale Nagle, which is also about gryphons. Not as good as Jess E. Owen's books, but still pretty interesting, especially the world building and central conflict of the story -- gryphons vs. opinici.

I really enjoyed The Mermaid by Christina Henry. Based on the reviews I saw for this book, people either hate it or love it, so maybe it's an aquired taste? I dunno. Again, I personally loved it ¯\_(:/)_/¯

Edit: I forgot to mention A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan! The whole series is lovely. It's one of those rare cases where each book is just as good as the one that came before it. It's set in the Victorian Era of a fantasy world, where dragons exists, but instead of being magical creatures, they're just animals that evolved to fit into specific ecological niches. Really loved that approach to dragons!
iIrk1Wj.png
@faasnu heyy you should check out the arc of a scythe series! i cant really write a sypnosis or like a full summary but basically the series is about this world where death isnt natural anymore. everyone is immortal, and the only way people die so the population can be controlled is through people called Scythes. they pick people and kill them, and theres entire Scythedoms to be a support kinda government kinda thing. our two main characters are just trying to vibe until they come into contact with a scythe, and the story just picks up from there!
theres three books in the series (scythe, thunderhead, and the toll) and its really good! if you dont mind trilogies, check it out!
@faasnu heyy you should check out the arc of a scythe series! i cant really write a sypnosis or like a full summary but basically the series is about this world where death isnt natural anymore. everyone is immortal, and the only way people die so the population can be controlled is through people called Scythes. they pick people and kill them, and theres entire Scythedoms to be a support kinda government kinda thing. our two main characters are just trying to vibe until they come into contact with a scythe, and the story just picks up from there!
theres three books in the series (scythe, thunderhead, and the toll) and its really good! if you dont mind trilogies, check it out!
GbZpiRc.pngbYt72YT.pngnNNlBBj.png
czjozDN.pngQQYyU47.pngoaolHwW.png
oK2VVlE.png3Fro3Vn.pngbVV6yhw.png
J8zFKyY.png626Zq4h.pngnJT9A3U.png
eswSnrS.png8O67LBq.pngmlHpBMC.png
@huskimoon02 - Yes, I have! I love both those series. I have yet to finish the WoF series; I've only read up to book three. I will soon!
@huskimoon02 - Yes, I have! I love both those series. I have yet to finish the WoF series; I've only read up to book three. I will soon!
@GalacticWonder - All of those are interesting, some I've even read before! Thanks for the recommendations. c:
@GalacticWonder - All of those are interesting, some I've even read before! Thanks for the recommendations. c:
@SeaDragon12 - I've actually read both of those books and I liked Ivan. Wrinkle disturbed me and wasn't really my thing. ^^;
@SeaDragon12 - I've actually read both of those books and I liked Ivan. Wrinkle disturbed me and wasn't really my thing. ^^;
1 2 3 4 5 6