Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Persona 5 Question
1 2
@AlphaSobek so there is a P5 anime? I tried googling it and from what I found there wasnt one (yet). Also I dont read manga so I didnt know that existed either. Was it based on the game or vice versa?
@AlphaSobek so there is a P5 anime? I tried googling it and from what I found there wasnt one (yet). Also I dont read manga so I didnt know that existed either. Was it based on the game or vice versa?
BFEMrcM.png
@nohsara

The anime is titled "Persona 5 The Animation" and it's got 26 episodes and 2(?) specials from the looks of it. You can watch it on Crunchyroll and probably a few other places.

There was also a short-ish 'special' released before the game released prior to the original Japanese release called "The Day Breakers" as a bit of a teaser. The fun part about Day Breakers is that it's actual contents are a part of a mementos mission you don't see in the game. So it helps fill in some gaps on that front. At least if I'm remembering it correctly. I don't think it's tied to the anime itself but I don't really know, again haven't watched the Anime.

But they're adaptations of the game. Usually, that's how it goes with the more 'modern' Persona games. I'm not sure about anything before 3 but they usually have a few adaptations - be they manga, anime, novels, etc. That's where people get the 'official' or 'canon' names for the MC from usually.

Even though I think the fact they have multiple names is another way to imply that they don't 'have' a canon name since the point is you can name them whatever you want. But tbh I enjoy their 'canon' names since I'm not so great at making my own, lol.

@nohsara

The anime is titled "Persona 5 The Animation" and it's got 26 episodes and 2(?) specials from the looks of it. You can watch it on Crunchyroll and probably a few other places.

There was also a short-ish 'special' released before the game released prior to the original Japanese release called "The Day Breakers" as a bit of a teaser. The fun part about Day Breakers is that it's actual contents are a part of a mementos mission you don't see in the game. So it helps fill in some gaps on that front. At least if I'm remembering it correctly. I don't think it's tied to the anime itself but I don't really know, again haven't watched the Anime.

But they're adaptations of the game. Usually, that's how it goes with the more 'modern' Persona games. I'm not sure about anything before 3 but they usually have a few adaptations - be they manga, anime, novels, etc. That's where people get the 'official' or 'canon' names for the MC from usually.

Even though I think the fact they have multiple names is another way to imply that they don't 'have' a canon name since the point is you can name them whatever you want. But tbh I enjoy their 'canon' names since I'm not so great at making my own, lol.

IT7iTv8.png
I named him Raphael as a nod to most underrated game ever Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure, where the main character Raphael's nickname is Phantom R. Phantom R, Phantom Thieves... yeah. It was a bit weird having a French name for a Japanese character though.
I named him Raphael as a nod to most underrated game ever Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure, where the main character Raphael's nickname is Phantom R. Phantom R, Phantom Thieves... yeah. It was a bit weird having a French name for a Japanese character though.
@AlphaSobek Okay cool. Do you know if it's been dubbed yet?
@AlphaSobek Okay cool. Do you know if it's been dubbed yet?
BFEMrcM.png
@nohsara

I can't find any dub info when I search besides a few threads from last year talking about how some of the English voice cast seemed interested but hadn't been contacted at that point yet.

It also seems like the anime studio that released it isn't exactly known for dubbing their releases. Not sure who released P4's anime adaption but it was the only one out of all the persona adaptations and movies that apparently got its own English Dub.

So unless I'm just missing it then I don't think a dub has been released yet if it's ever going to be. I do know you can also watch the anime on Hulu if you're a member but I'm not so can't test to see whether or not they have a dub track unfortunately. It seems unlikely since I didn't even find any rips or youtube videos with an English dub. Since those usually pop up when you search for dubbed versions I have to assume that none exist right now.

The wiki page also only lists Japanese voice actors too.

So it could be a thing eventually but it seems unlikely right now. The CR version is subtitled though if all else fails and I assume the Hulu version is as well.
@nohsara

I can't find any dub info when I search besides a few threads from last year talking about how some of the English voice cast seemed interested but hadn't been contacted at that point yet.

It also seems like the anime studio that released it isn't exactly known for dubbing their releases. Not sure who released P4's anime adaption but it was the only one out of all the persona adaptations and movies that apparently got its own English Dub.

So unless I'm just missing it then I don't think a dub has been released yet if it's ever going to be. I do know you can also watch the anime on Hulu if you're a member but I'm not so can't test to see whether or not they have a dub track unfortunately. It seems unlikely since I didn't even find any rips or youtube videos with an English dub. Since those usually pop up when you search for dubbed versions I have to assume that none exist right now.

The wiki page also only lists Japanese voice actors too.

So it could be a thing eventually but it seems unlikely right now. The CR version is subtitled though if all else fails and I assume the Hulu version is as well.
IT7iTv8.png
@AlphaSobek yeah Hulu only ever has Subs it seems, idk why. It's a shame bc I really only watch dubs, mostly bc I have trouble connecting to characters when I'm having to read what their saying. Well lets hope it'll happen sometime in the future
@AlphaSobek yeah Hulu only ever has Subs it seems, idk why. It's a shame bc I really only watch dubs, mostly bc I have trouble connecting to characters when I'm having to read what their saying. Well lets hope it'll happen sometime in the future
BFEMrcM.png
@nohsara

I did another short search and found that one of the 2 specials hasn't been released yet. It'll be coming out sometime in March of this year.

So technically if they're still working on stuff for it, there is hope that an English Dub will come out... but at the same time when every other adaptation in the series (barring 1) didn't get a dub I'm not really sure if it's something they're considering. Persona 4's anime apparently was the only thing to get a dub... and from reading over the threads the movie that came after actually didn't get one... but the anime still got one... so really it seems sorta 50/50 that THIS anime will too.

I did also come across a few other people saying that the production company HAS recently started to dub their releases (which is apparently somewhat new for them) but I've seen just as many people say that they're still not really known to do it with every release.

But if they are still going to be putting stuff out for it then it's possible!

I watched so much subbed anime in high school - since I couldn't really listen with audio, that I just ended up getting used to it so subbed doesn't bother me much and I usually tend to prefer it most of the time, ha. But if you're only on the 3rd Palace then it'll be a bit longer before you can even really dig to far into the anime, subbed or not. So hopefully the upcoming release will bring more news with it on the Dub front!
@nohsara

I did another short search and found that one of the 2 specials hasn't been released yet. It'll be coming out sometime in March of this year.

So technically if they're still working on stuff for it, there is hope that an English Dub will come out... but at the same time when every other adaptation in the series (barring 1) didn't get a dub I'm not really sure if it's something they're considering. Persona 4's anime apparently was the only thing to get a dub... and from reading over the threads the movie that came after actually didn't get one... but the anime still got one... so really it seems sorta 50/50 that THIS anime will too.

I did also come across a few other people saying that the production company HAS recently started to dub their releases (which is apparently somewhat new for them) but I've seen just as many people say that they're still not really known to do it with every release.

But if they are still going to be putting stuff out for it then it's possible!

I watched so much subbed anime in high school - since I couldn't really listen with audio, that I just ended up getting used to it so subbed doesn't bother me much and I usually tend to prefer it most of the time, ha. But if you're only on the 3rd Palace then it'll be a bit longer before you can even really dig to far into the anime, subbed or not. So hopefully the upcoming release will bring more news with it on the Dub front!
IT7iTv8.png
I named him Ren upon my sister's suggestion.
I named him Ren upon my sister's suggestion.

WNKiucd.png
LEpJMnn.png
dT9HQge.png
bX96R21.png
UVJYCUl.png
named mine after me bc i'm uncreative lmao
named mine after me bc i'm uncreative lmao
Ollie | he/him
eGiN2Xv.png F8WMfQz.png thDLJf3.png
@AlphaSobek okay, cool, thanks for the info :)
@AlphaSobek okay, cool, thanks for the info :)
BFEMrcM.png
1 2