Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any tips on dealing with anxiety?
1 2 3
i have major anxiety disorder and i try doing as much as i can with my anxiety then take a break and go again. i'm completely off my anxiety meds and everything now.
i have major anxiety disorder and i try doing as much as i can with my anxiety then take a break and go again. i'm completely off my anxiety meds and everything now.
"But girls love girls and boys, and love is not a choice" ~Brendon Urie
I deal by hugging my dog or cat... whoever is closest lol if it gets worse past the point where that helps then music is the only thing that really helps though
I deal by hugging my dog or cat... whoever is closest lol if it gets worse past the point where that helps then music is the only thing that really helps though
95154e6f88761c97ae7010a4917ba626.gif
For me distracting myself with thoughts helps a lot

Also talking through what causes my anxiety and methods of calming myself down
For me distracting myself with thoughts helps a lot

Also talking through what causes my anxiety and methods of calming myself down
tumblr_pa1v59xRPV1x8q01eo1_250.giftumblr_pa1v59xRPV1x8q01eo2_250.gif
I've been plagued by anxiety and panic attacks this past year. If you can get to a doctor they'll give you something that will help a ton.

I haven't really figured out a sure-fire way of calming down yet but usually walking and pacing helps me a lot and trying to control my breathing (breathe in slowly for the count of 4 then out). Colouring is also a great distraction for me so if you can get some colouring books that might help.
I've been plagued by anxiety and panic attacks this past year. If you can get to a doctor they'll give you something that will help a ton.

I haven't really figured out a sure-fire way of calming down yet but usually walking and pacing helps me a lot and trying to control my breathing (breathe in slowly for the count of 4 then out). Colouring is also a great distraction for me so if you can get some colouring books that might help.
Heart.gif
Trying not to dispense medical advice here but please don't feel that you have to deal with anxiety with You and Just You Alone. Anxiety can be a mental health issue by itself, but there's also a slew of body-related health issues that cause anxiety as a symptom. Seeing a doctor can be helpful.

Anyhoo, I deal with anxiety by playing the 'SO WHAT' game with it. Anxiety says "Bad Thing will happen!", so I tell it "And so what if Bad Thing does happen?"
Anxiety: "Well, then BAD THINGS happen!"
Me: "And here is my plan for the BAD THINGS worst-case scenario."
Anxiety: "Oh, well...what about THIS Bad Thing?"
Me: "Well I'll deal with that too, it won't stop me from living and I'll move on to Plan B."

Etc. I dunno, it helps me personally to try to out-logic my anxiety. *shrug*

Sometimes I'll do the opposite and ignore the anxiety with all my might, because I know my anxiety is about stupid things. My best things to do to ignore anxiety are to write, or to do something small with my hands. Like seed-beading, which is nothing but super tiny things all strung together. It's nice because then if I mess something up, I get mad at it, and I start to direct my brain energy at being mad at having to undo a whole line of beads, rather than wasting the brain energy on anxiety.
Trying not to dispense medical advice here but please don't feel that you have to deal with anxiety with You and Just You Alone. Anxiety can be a mental health issue by itself, but there's also a slew of body-related health issues that cause anxiety as a symptom. Seeing a doctor can be helpful.

Anyhoo, I deal with anxiety by playing the 'SO WHAT' game with it. Anxiety says "Bad Thing will happen!", so I tell it "And so what if Bad Thing does happen?"
Anxiety: "Well, then BAD THINGS happen!"
Me: "And here is my plan for the BAD THINGS worst-case scenario."
Anxiety: "Oh, well...what about THIS Bad Thing?"
Me: "Well I'll deal with that too, it won't stop me from living and I'll move on to Plan B."

Etc. I dunno, it helps me personally to try to out-logic my anxiety. *shrug*

Sometimes I'll do the opposite and ignore the anxiety with all my might, because I know my anxiety is about stupid things. My best things to do to ignore anxiety are to write, or to do something small with my hands. Like seed-beading, which is nothing but super tiny things all strung together. It's nice because then if I mess something up, I get mad at it, and I start to direct my brain energy at being mad at having to undo a whole line of beads, rather than wasting the brain energy on anxiety.
bmc86yo.pngC7i9WrC.pngcOEuydC.pngMUSskfQ.png
Personally I deal by planning out daily activities and making lists. Also organizing helps too. Sometimes I listen to music, however that can make it worse depending on the state of mind I'm in. Overall, I believe that if you can find a way to distract yourself, you shoud be good. Also, focusing on breathing helps a lot too, even though that's what everyone says ever.
Personally I deal by planning out daily activities and making lists. Also organizing helps too. Sometimes I listen to music, however that can make it worse depending on the state of mind I'm in. Overall, I believe that if you can find a way to distract yourself, you shoud be good. Also, focusing on breathing helps a lot too, even though that's what everyone says ever.
She/her| 15 | Tired and stressed constantly | GAY |
Ede1QxZ.pngx4PJk2f.pngtfJRppO.pngfyfer2u.pngiJRLXTl.png
Take deep breathes, remind yourself that no matter what happens things will get better. Also, like they said in the other posts distractions are helpful.
Take deep breathes, remind yourself that no matter what happens things will get better. Also, like they said in the other posts distractions are helpful.
This may sound kind of dumb but have you listened to the podcast Alice isnt Dead?

Its a storytelling podcast and the main character goes through this arc in the first season about her fear and her anxiety and how she learns to use it as her strength. Its really powerful and it helped me view my anxiety through a different lens that made it much easier to tackle and deal with.

Its made me feel kinda fearless at times and I feel like my anxiety is a strength as well as a weakness now
This may sound kind of dumb but have you listened to the podcast Alice isnt Dead?

Its a storytelling podcast and the main character goes through this arc in the first season about her fear and her anxiety and how she learns to use it as her strength. Its really powerful and it helped me view my anxiety through a different lens that made it much easier to tackle and deal with.

Its made me feel kinda fearless at times and I feel like my anxiety is a strength as well as a weakness now
[quote name="SaturnNeptune" date="2018-09-06 13:35:49" ] @Babysaxon I usually count 5 things I see, 4 things that make me happy, 3 things that are *insert random colour, 2 things I touch, and one thing I feel. Im sorry if this doesn't help, if your anxiety gets worse talk to a family member or someone you trust. I hope things get better [/quote] I highly recommend doing this! The idea here is that it brings you out of the "mind trap". The mind trap is basically when you come with a thought that triggers the anxiety and therefore every thought that follows continues the anxiety. By focusing on what is around you, you're snapping yourself out of the "mind trap" and back into the present moment. Also, I sometimes play a little game with myself before something big happens - like if I had to go to a meeting, or got a class that I'm nervous about. I ask myself "What is the worse thing that could happen?" and "How will that impact me?" and gradually turn it silly. But always end it with "[b]I can endure that.[/b]" "What is the worse thing that could happen?" "I will make a fool of myself when speaking to the group." "How will this impact?" "Well, they might have a little laugh. But then they'll forget about it and move on.[b] I can endure that.[/b]" "What's the worse thing that could happen?" "When I stand up to speak, an undead T-Rex with a cowboy hat on may charge through the building and take us hostage." "How will this impact?" "I may team up with the T-Rex and boldly ride upon its neck, taking command on who it can squish and who it can't. [b]I can endure that[/b]." And then spend that meeting waiting for an undead T-Rex to turn up.
SaturnNeptune wrote on 2018-09-06 13:35:49:
@Babysaxon

I usually count 5 things I see, 4 things that make me happy, 3 things that are *insert random colour, 2 things I touch, and one thing I feel. Im sorry if this doesn't help, if your anxiety gets worse talk to a family member or someone you trust. I hope things get better

I highly recommend doing this!

The idea here is that it brings you out of the "mind trap". The mind trap is basically when you come with a thought that triggers the anxiety and therefore every thought that follows continues the anxiety.

By focusing on what is around you, you're snapping yourself out of the "mind trap" and back into the present moment.

Also, I sometimes play a little game with myself before something big happens - like if I had to go to a meeting, or got a class that I'm nervous about.

I ask myself "What is the worse thing that could happen?" and "How will that impact me?" and gradually turn it silly. But always end it with "I can endure that."

"What is the worse thing that could happen?"
"I will make a fool of myself when speaking to the group."
"How will this impact?"
"Well, they might have a little laugh. But then they'll forget about it and move on. I can endure that."

"What's the worse thing that could happen?"
"When I stand up to speak, an undead T-Rex with a cowboy hat on may charge through the building and take us hostage."
"How will this impact?"
"I may team up with the T-Rex and boldly ride upon its neck, taking command on who it can squish and who it can't. I can endure that."

And then spend that meeting waiting for an undead T-Rex to turn up.
For "I Know That Reference", all dragons (minus Level 25s & Fodders) are fandergs within my lair :)
I got diagnosed just yesterday with anxiety. I knew I stress out easy and have been struggling with social anxiety a lot but two months ago it got physical and I have since then having breathing problems. Today is exceptionally bad and I am pretty restless, which does not work well with breathing problems and nothing seems to calm me down.

Those weighted blankets sound pretty interesting, I think I'll look into getting one.
I got diagnosed just yesterday with anxiety. I knew I stress out easy and have been struggling with social anxiety a lot but two months ago it got physical and I have since then having breathing problems. Today is exceptionally bad and I am pretty restless, which does not work well with breathing problems and nothing seems to calm me down.

Those weighted blankets sound pretty interesting, I think I'll look into getting one.
tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pngsmall_save_the_imps2_by_keldeostar-dc6ioyu.pngtumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/d520b49ad1e535b4432d0a80efc5db86/tumblr_otyhq9Ynj41vsg0m1o1_400.png[/img]
1 2 3