Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Daily Dose of Science [PINGLIST]
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
can I be added to the pinglist? :D

also, I have a question that I hope you can answer. How does our brain tell us that we feel pain in wherever we get hurt? it doesn't really feel like the pain is our brain telling us we're hurt, it just feels like hurt.

for example, if you hit your toe on a table (ow), you would be like "ow my toe", not "oh my god brain, why did you make me feel that" because you don't really feel like it's coming from your brain.

can the nerves feel? i only know that nerves tell us that we hurt of that we're touching something, but do the nerves themselves hurt??? do the nerves have tiny brains that tell them that they hurt and should go tell the brain about it??

I don't even know what I'm asking about anymore.

just explain the brain and nerves. and pain. please. :')

edit: I wanted to add something. I pressed edit, forgot what it was.
bleh.

also, I have a question that I hope you can answer. How does our brain tell us that we feel pain in wherever we get hurt? it doesn't really feel like the pain is our brain telling us we're hurt, it just feels like hurt.

for example, if you hit your toe on a table (ow), you would be like "ow my toe", not "oh my god brain, why did you make me feel that" because you don't really feel like it's coming from your brain.

can the nerves feel? i only know that nerves tell us that we hurt of that we're touching something, but do the nerves themselves hurt??? do the nerves have tiny brains that tell them that they hurt and should go tell the brain about it??

I don't even know what I'm asking about anymore.

just explain the brain and nerves. and pain. please. :')

edit: I wanted to add something. I pressed edit, forgot what it was.
bleh.
+16 fr time
maxed cauldron!
BE GAY DO CRIME ;;D
Bump!
Bump!
[quote name="floofthe2nd" date="2019-03-07 06:29:07" ] can I be added to the pinglist? :D also, I have a question that I hope you can answer. How does our brain tell us that we feel pain in wherever we get hurt? it doesn't really feel like the pain is our brain telling us we're hurt, it just feels like hurt. for example, if you hit your toe on a table (ow), you would be like "ow my toe", not "oh my god brain, why did you make me feel that" because you don't really feel like it's coming from your brain. [/quote] @floofthe2nd Now you're moving from Science into Philosophy of Mind. When you feel pain, that is called "Qualia", which refers to the introspectively accessible, phenomenal aspects of our mental lives. I could have access to literally every single physical fact about your brain, watching a screen light up with activity as your neurons fire. But none of that information will tell me what it is like to feel pain, especially not [b]Your[/b] experience of the sensation. And all that ties back into the 'Hard Problem of Conciousness'. Science, and especially Neuroscience is really quiet when it comes to the subject since it deals wholly with that which can only be know 'Subjectivley' and not 'Objectivley'. I'd reccommend this TED talk by David Chalmers, the Philosopher who came up with the Hard Problem. : https://youtu.be/uhRhtFFhNzQ
floofthe2nd wrote on 2019-03-07 06:29:07:

@floofthe2nd

Now you're moving from Science into Philosophy of Mind. When you feel pain, that is called "Qualia", which refers to the introspectively accessible, phenomenal aspects of our mental lives. I could have access to literally every single physical fact about your brain, watching a screen light up with activity as your neurons fire. But none of that information will tell me what it is like to feel pain, especially not Your experience of the sensation.

And all that ties back into the 'Hard Problem of Conciousness'. Science, and especially Neuroscience is really quiet when it comes to the subject since it deals wholly with that which can only be know 'Subjectivley' and not 'Objectivley'.

I'd reccommend this TED talk by David Chalmers, the Philosopher who came up with the Hard Problem. : https://youtu.be/uhRhtFFhNzQ

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. ~ Samuel Adams
@ribbonz I’d like to be pinged!
@ribbonz I’d like to be pinged!
antlers_left_by_broqentoys-dcsi472.png X
Call me Six
Aromantic • Asexual • Agender
they/them
antlers_right_by_broqentoys-dcsi46w.png
@floofthe2nd
The sensation of pain comes from sensory receptors known as nociceptors. The process of nociception is quite involved and complex, and it is not my particular specialty in neuroscience, but your brain recognizes pain in a specific area due to nociceptors. These sensations would travel to the brain from the spinal cord, just the same as the feelings of temperature or pressure or any other "feeling." Opioids and types of anesthesia like nerve blocks/epidurals work by blocking out nociception via different mechanisms. The name "endorphin" actually is a shortened version of "endogenous morphine", because our brain/body has the ability to make its own analgesics.

Also, if you are interested in toxicology, @Herico provided a link to a fascinating article about how Deathcap mushrooms' toxins destroy the liver in the DeathCap Mushroom thread on this forum. A wonderful dose of daily science!
@floofthe2nd
The sensation of pain comes from sensory receptors known as nociceptors. The process of nociception is quite involved and complex, and it is not my particular specialty in neuroscience, but your brain recognizes pain in a specific area due to nociceptors. These sensations would travel to the brain from the spinal cord, just the same as the feelings of temperature or pressure or any other "feeling." Opioids and types of anesthesia like nerve blocks/epidurals work by blocking out nociception via different mechanisms. The name "endorphin" actually is a shortened version of "endogenous morphine", because our brain/body has the ability to make its own analgesics.

Also, if you are interested in toxicology, @Herico provided a link to a fascinating article about how Deathcap mushrooms' toxins destroy the liver in the DeathCap Mushroom thread on this forum. A wonderful dose of daily science!
SunsetMagnum.jpgFjgpNYm.png1j6wDhn.pngreHWBXk.png
@DarthT15 @Hypercoaster
this is a late thank you for DarthT15 (that ping probably got buried ages ago, whoops), but dang, thanks for answering my question! :D I feel a bit dumb. I should've done my own research before asking. I'll be sure to check out those links! thanks so much you two!
@DarthT15 @Hypercoaster
this is a late thank you for DarthT15 (that ping probably got buried ages ago, whoops), but dang, thanks for answering my question! :D I feel a bit dumb. I should've done my own research before asking. I'll be sure to check out those links! thanks so much you two!
+16 fr time
maxed cauldron!
BE GAY DO CRIME ;;D
pinglist please!
pinglist please!
8DvaHnX.png
Can I get a pinglist? Those facts are awesome!
Can I get a pinglist? Those facts are awesome!
Hey yall I'm back!
could I get on the pinglist too? thank you!
could I get on the pinglist too? thank you!
///////////tumblr_p5wzkf4NYZ1vamgqko1_100.png
DQR0xuP.png
FObX7rS.png
HdmxfuE.png
5hF3FGk.png
Pgv53XB.png
R5gBjNt.png ////////ebwdsO1.png
hmu with that pinglist! environmental science major here
hmu with that pinglist! environmental science major here
2ko8cXz.png
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17