Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Extinct animals that aren't dinosaurs
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Synthetoceras

Love modern day pronghorns, and the extinct ones are even more wild!

Diplocaulus is great too, though

Obviously I'm a fan of dinosaurs too. Miragaia isn't my favorite but it sounds nice, so I took it
Synthetoceras

Love modern day pronghorns, and the extinct ones are even more wild!

Diplocaulus is great too, though

Obviously I'm a fan of dinosaurs too. Miragaia isn't my favorite but it sounds nice, so I took it
4e48afae7ea64e587fff31cf892fcf9de1d76c3a.png
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
33341.png Horsiesmall.png
[quote name="UnseenCrow" date="2018-03-26 16:55:46" ] Dire wolves (Canis Dirus) [/quote] My dad used to watch Game of Thrones, and he told me abot the Starks and their dire wolves. Now I want one of my own. Imagine me just walking my dire wolf being all like, “STARK REPRESENT! Screw y’all Lannisters!”
UnseenCrow wrote on 2018-03-26 16:55:46:
Dire wolves (Canis Dirus)
My dad used to watch Game of Thrones, and he told me abot the Starks and their dire wolves. Now I want one of my own.

Imagine me just walking my dire wolf being all like, “STARK REPRESENT! Screw y’all Lannisters!”
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
@Endee I was going to say phorusrhacids! But they technically are dinosaurs so…

I’ve had a soft spot for nimravids ever since reading the Named series. “Near-cats” would be the best way to describe them. Also Homotherium, a lesser-known sabertooth with cute little fangs.
@Endee I was going to say phorusrhacids! But they technically are dinosaurs so…

I’ve had a soft spot for nimravids ever since reading the Named series. “Near-cats” would be the best way to describe them. Also Homotherium, a lesser-known sabertooth with cute little fangs.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
@greyjoys

I love gorgonospids too! They seemed like such big doofy bois

@falloutstreak

I didn't know about Haast's eagle. Wow. As cool as they are it's probably a good thing they're extinct, those things are HUGE. Could take an entire man if they wanted. Very interesting, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

@beefuzz

rip
Every time I hear about thylacines I get really sad. About a year ago there were so many supposed sightings that they actually started a search for any surviving thylacines. Even though I knew the chances were insanely low, I got my hopes up. I don't believe they found anything- if they did it would definitely have been all over the news.

Still, I have hope. THEY ARE OUT THERE.

@dinogrrl

I know, right? I think the reason I love Andrewsarchus so much is because it seems so alien to us. Carnivorous ungulate. Basically a giant wolf-boar-horse with hooves. So strange and so awesome. I really wish I could have gotten to see one.

Oh and also, indricotheriums. They're probably my second favorite.

@ToonKuriboh

rip
the thing that's sad about dodos is that they were killed so quickly by people that they're painted by the media as stupid and incompetent.
but the thing is, in their natural habitat there were no predators. Humans were literally their first and only threat. They didn't have any reason to fear any creature.
They didn't die because they were stupid, they died because they trusted too much and humans can be jerks sometimes

@pixelspiral

Humans can be cool but they can also be very mean.
Like I'm sure other species have driven some animals to extinction, but we have to be the most destructive one of them all

Also moas are awesome. Just big floofballs with long leggs and long necc

@endee

Again... it's probably a good thing they went extinct lol

but seriously, despite how scary they are I would love to ride a terror bird into battle

@unseencrow

I get a little irritated when people think they're myths. DIRE WOLVES WERE REAL. THEY WERE REAL AND THEY WERE COOL.

One of my favorite book series that I read as a kid was about Dire wolves.

@Miragaia

Oh those are cool! You know what those remind me of?

A few years ago I saw a video or documentary or something that was talking about these strange looking ungulates that lived in Africa. They're very rare and have existed for millions of years, and sort of look like something straight from the ice age, and yet they're alive right now. But for the life of me, I can't remember what they're called. I'd like to figure this out because it was very interesting.

Meanwhile, during my google search journey looking for these elusive antelope things, I just learned that pronghorn antelopes aren't antelope at all! They're the last surviving members of the Antilocapridae family, and are more closely related to okapi and giraffes. Intriguing stuff.

@PrehistoryMaker

Oh wow, I never knew of nimravids! My whole life I thought saber tooth cats were actually cats, but apparently they aren't. My life has been forever changed. TIL

That book series sounds very interesting. I just looked it up and I'm surprised I've never heard of it before. They don't make a lot of books about extinct animals/dinosaurs that aren't targeted for kids and therefore dumbed down. (the only YA book about dinosaurs that I've heard about is Raptor Red)
@greyjoys

I love gorgonospids too! They seemed like such big doofy bois

@falloutstreak

I didn't know about Haast's eagle. Wow. As cool as they are it's probably a good thing they're extinct, those things are HUGE. Could take an entire man if they wanted. Very interesting, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

@beefuzz

rip
Every time I hear about thylacines I get really sad. About a year ago there were so many supposed sightings that they actually started a search for any surviving thylacines. Even though I knew the chances were insanely low, I got my hopes up. I don't believe they found anything- if they did it would definitely have been all over the news.

Still, I have hope. THEY ARE OUT THERE.

@dinogrrl

I know, right? I think the reason I love Andrewsarchus so much is because it seems so alien to us. Carnivorous ungulate. Basically a giant wolf-boar-horse with hooves. So strange and so awesome. I really wish I could have gotten to see one.

Oh and also, indricotheriums. They're probably my second favorite.

@ToonKuriboh

rip
the thing that's sad about dodos is that they were killed so quickly by people that they're painted by the media as stupid and incompetent.
but the thing is, in their natural habitat there were no predators. Humans were literally their first and only threat. They didn't have any reason to fear any creature.
They didn't die because they were stupid, they died because they trusted too much and humans can be jerks sometimes

@pixelspiral

Humans can be cool but they can also be very mean.
Like I'm sure other species have driven some animals to extinction, but we have to be the most destructive one of them all

Also moas are awesome. Just big floofballs with long leggs and long necc

@endee

Again... it's probably a good thing they went extinct lol

but seriously, despite how scary they are I would love to ride a terror bird into battle

@unseencrow

I get a little irritated when people think they're myths. DIRE WOLVES WERE REAL. THEY WERE REAL AND THEY WERE COOL.

One of my favorite book series that I read as a kid was about Dire wolves.

@Miragaia

Oh those are cool! You know what those remind me of?

A few years ago I saw a video or documentary or something that was talking about these strange looking ungulates that lived in Africa. They're very rare and have existed for millions of years, and sort of look like something straight from the ice age, and yet they're alive right now. But for the life of me, I can't remember what they're called. I'd like to figure this out because it was very interesting.

Meanwhile, during my google search journey looking for these elusive antelope things, I just learned that pronghorn antelopes aren't antelope at all! They're the last surviving members of the Antilocapridae family, and are more closely related to okapi and giraffes. Intriguing stuff.

@PrehistoryMaker

Oh wow, I never knew of nimravids! My whole life I thought saber tooth cats were actually cats, but apparently they aren't. My life has been forever changed. TIL

That book series sounds very interesting. I just looked it up and I'm surprised I've never heard of it before. They don't make a lot of books about extinct animals/dinosaurs that aren't targeted for kids and therefore dumbed down. (the only YA book about dinosaurs that I've heard about is Raptor Red)
Blue_Rose.pngunknown.pngPale_Pink_Rose.png
Sorry for the double ping y'all, I accidentally posted that twice
Sorry for the double ping y'all, I accidentally posted that twice
@Andrewsarchus: Sabertooths were true felines, but nimravids were a sister taxon. I'm sorry if I caused confusion.

Yeah, the series is great! I just started rereading it! And I agree that there needs to be more books about prehistoric creatures. I actually have a dream to write one.
@Andrewsarchus: Sabertooths were true felines, but nimravids were a sister taxon. I'm sorry if I caused confusion.

Yeah, the series is great! I just started rereading it! And I agree that there needs to be more books about prehistoric creatures. I actually have a dream to write one.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
@prehistorymaker

Oh, I read an article that said they're actually nimravids. So the article is wrong. Or maybe I'm confused about what a sabertooth is.

Either way, nimravids are cool, and I'm going to have to check out that series as soon as possible.
I've been working on a story that involves prehistorical creatures- of course there will be andrewsarchus- but I can't seem to get anywhere.
@prehistorymaker

Oh, I read an article that said they're actually nimravids. So the article is wrong. Or maybe I'm confused about what a sabertooth is.

Either way, nimravids are cool, and I'm going to have to check out that series as soon as possible.
I've been working on a story that involves prehistorical creatures- of course there will be andrewsarchus- but I can't seem to get anywhere.
@Andrewsarchus Were you perhaps looking at a hartebeest? [img]http://www.awf.org/sites/default/files/media/gallery/wildlife/Hartebeest/hart_Teeku_Patel.jpg[/img] [img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f7/67/67/f76767a9f81f866e31b564c6c42f9b5d.jpg[/img] They're kinda funky-looking, and live in Africa! I love their long faces, eheh
@Andrewsarchus

Were you perhaps looking at a hartebeest?
hart_Teeku_Patel.jpg

f76767a9f81f866e31b564c6c42f9b5d.jpg

They're kinda funky-looking, and live in Africa! I love their long faces, eheh
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
@Miragaia

Maybe? I feel like they were weirder looking, had stripes maybe??? were a lighter color and weird horns? Idk, my memory might be fuzzy.

Either way, those things are awesome. They're like if adam driver was an ungulate. thank you for showing me this
@Miragaia

Maybe? I feel like they were weirder looking, had stripes maybe??? were a lighter color and weird horns? Idk, my memory might be fuzzy.

Either way, those things are awesome. They're like if adam driver was an ungulate. thank you for showing me this
@Andrewsarchus HAHah, looking at it, I can totally see that now. He looks like it. Thanks Hmmm... was it maybe an eland? They're big and stripey. Either way, good luck in your search for this mysterious animal! [img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PEkXLPTEkwQ/WFB0unbXzBI/AAAAAAAANUE/-XiG63KY5awFgIWlsQLcDVH_NcsK-1qEgCLcB/s1600/Livingstone%2BEland1.jpg[/img]
@Andrewsarchus

HAHah, looking at it, I can totally see that now. He looks like it. Thanks

Hmmm... was it maybe an eland? They're big and stripey. Either way, good luck in your search for this mysterious animal!
Livingstone%2BEland1.jpg
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10