Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Best science fantasy / fantasy books?
I'm quite fond of Tad Williams Otherland sci-fi novel series.

It is a little hard to describe without giving too much away, but the general premise involves a near future where the internet is basically immersive virtual reality. Random people all over the world (mostly children) start becoming sick and some slip into comas while in mostly unconnected places on the net, and a group of people investigating the cause are led to Otherland, a secret VR project funded by a bunch of the world's richest people that is so immersive it is indistinguishable from reality. But there is a sinister side to Otherland and it's origins, and people are being killed to keep the secrets from being spread.

It has a nice mix of action, murder mystery, drama and your typical sci-fi adventure, and with the VR worlds aspect, a little bit of fantasy thrown in.
I'm quite fond of Tad Williams Otherland sci-fi novel series.

It is a little hard to describe without giving too much away, but the general premise involves a near future where the internet is basically immersive virtual reality. Random people all over the world (mostly children) start becoming sick and some slip into comas while in mostly unconnected places on the net, and a group of people investigating the cause are led to Otherland, a secret VR project funded by a bunch of the world's richest people that is so immersive it is indistinguishable from reality. But there is a sinister side to Otherland and it's origins, and people are being killed to keep the secrets from being spread.

It has a nice mix of action, murder mystery, drama and your typical sci-fi adventure, and with the VR worlds aspect, a little bit of fantasy thrown in.
Formerly known as Brenning.
The Last Unicorn is one of my favorite fantasy books I don't see mentioned a whole lot. The quote in my signature is actually from that book.
The Last Unicorn is one of my favorite fantasy books I don't see mentioned a whole lot. The quote in my signature is actually from that book.
QFXpYkj.png
i'm upset no one has recommended the name of the wind yet.

it's basically harry potter but not for kids(tm), it's a trilogy by patrick rothfuss. the books are super long, and they're not fast reads, but they're super in-depth. it's akin to a hot knife cutting through butter, it's a slow burn.

this year is actually notw's tenth anniversary, so if you have a big chunk of change to spend you can get the fancy anniversary edition, it comes with illustrations and maps and profiles on some of the important characters.
i'm upset no one has recommended the name of the wind yet.

it's basically harry potter but not for kids(tm), it's a trilogy by patrick rothfuss. the books are super long, and they're not fast reads, but they're super in-depth. it's akin to a hot knife cutting through butter, it's a slow burn.

this year is actually notw's tenth anniversary, so if you have a big chunk of change to spend you can get the fancy anniversary edition, it comes with illustrations and maps and profiles on some of the important characters.
Ollie | he/him
eGiN2Xv.png F8WMfQz.png thDLJf3.png
@Rainforest

Age is really a common factor when it comes to these types of things, but if you want a sort of creative fantasy type of book, I suggest Keeper of The Lost Cities. Its for a bit of a younger audience, but the world is very creative, and the story is quite compelling once it picks up in later editions to the series.
@Rainforest

Age is really a common factor when it comes to these types of things, but if you want a sort of creative fantasy type of book, I suggest Keeper of The Lost Cities. Its for a bit of a younger audience, but the world is very creative, and the story is quite compelling once it picks up in later editions to the series.
1141feb3d24695a76a1aa79bfc975bf920c52277.giff3c1de26fe141b6ca5cfb53edb13ae265de82e61.gif00549699aa6a84bbe5d610dd8016d9e327d6981a.gif43e179c18ab5dcf76c168abbcbb7eb21ac137ee1.gifec3b7a1b2e68c524e7b01b1150e44cdf0781d277.gif