Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Cockatiel Owners?
1 2
[center][img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/bc07c55caf29f367ae503790c6dca170/tumblr_p06hglKdiO1wuuwm0o2_1280.png[/img][/center] [center]TELL ME ABOUT YOUR COCKATIELS! (or any birds really)[/center] My boyfriend and I adopted two white-faced cockatiels last summer : They're still pretty young, their faces aren't all white yet. Our oldest bird is Iroh, he is pretty chill lately and is obssessed with millet. His young friend's name is Buck, he is constantly angry lately, but he is also pretty smart and is always the first to pick up new tricks.
tumblr_p06hglKdiO1wuuwm0o2_1280.png

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR COCKATIELS! (or any birds really)

My boyfriend and I adopted two white-faced cockatiels last summer : They're still pretty young, their faces aren't all white yet. Our oldest bird is Iroh, he is pretty chill lately and is obssessed with millet. His young friend's name is Buck, he is constantly angry lately, but he is also pretty smart and is always the first to pick up new tricks.
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
@ColonelChicken AAAAH they're so pretty! I love them. <3 White-faced cockatiels are some of the prettiest cockatiels out there imo. [img]https://i.imgur.com/OhYxrPP.jpg[/img] This is Loki, my lutino girl, complete with infamous lutino bald spot (not pictured). I adopted her a few years ago, she's... pretty handicapped. Not quite sure what it is, it's something neurological. She and her parents shared a large outdoor pen with a couple of big chickens, but because Loki had severe balancing issues and was completely unable to fly, she was stuck on the ground where the chickens would constantly walk all over her. I felt bad for her so I contacted the owner and asked how much. He bred cockatiels and because he wouldn't be able to normally sell or breed her, I could have her for free. At first she couldn't even climb the bars of her cage or sit on a branch because she would just keel over. She picked up on it really quickly though! :D Of course she still keels over and falls to the floor of the cage every once in a while, mostly when she's napping, and she still can't fly. She tries but it's like... unlike any flying I've ever seen a bird do. She can't direct herself, always ends up crashing against the wall or something, so I don't let her out of the cage unless I can keep a close eye on her, because I worry she might seriously injure herself one day - fortunately she doesn't try to fly often, but I've literally seen her fly[b] backwards and upside-down[/b] at the same time once! But other than that she's doing great lol.
@ColonelChicken AAAAH they're so pretty! I love them. <3 White-faced cockatiels are some of the prettiest cockatiels out there imo.

OhYxrPP.jpg

This is Loki, my lutino girl, complete with infamous lutino bald spot (not pictured). I adopted her a few years ago, she's... pretty handicapped. Not quite sure what it is, it's something neurological.

She and her parents shared a large outdoor pen with a couple of big chickens, but because Loki had severe balancing issues and was completely unable to fly, she was stuck on the ground where the chickens would constantly walk all over her. I felt bad for her so I contacted the owner and asked how much. He bred cockatiels and because he wouldn't be able to normally sell or breed her, I could have her for free.

At first she couldn't even climb the bars of her cage or sit on a branch because she would just keel over. She picked up on it really quickly though! :D Of course she still keels over and falls to the floor of the cage every once in a while, mostly when she's napping, and she still can't fly.

She tries but it's like... unlike any flying I've ever seen a bird do. She can't direct herself, always ends up crashing against the wall or something, so I don't let her out of the cage unless I can keep a close eye on her, because I worry she might seriously injure herself one day - fortunately she doesn't try to fly often, but I've literally seen her fly backwards and upside-down at the same time once!

But other than that she's doing great lol.
Hoarding:
Wildwood Owlet 9 hours ahead of FR Sakura Owlet
Look at the beepers! I love tiels, they are probably my 2nd favorite parrot species and probably make the best bird friends for most people. If I wasn't in love with lovebirds being sassy little cuddlepests I could totally see myself getting a tiel. @ColonelChicken They are beautiful! It's amazing that they'll get even more beautiful when they are adults. It sounds like they are doing great in your home so far, I hope Buck calms down once he's done being a 'teenager.' @Endee Aww. Thank you for taking in this little one in need and giving her a loving home. I don't have a tiel, but a 17 year old peach face lovebird Peanut. I know I probably post about her too much on FR but I love her so damn much. She's so gentile and sweet, cuddly and lovable... and a tiny bundle of sass that totally expects to be taken seriously and have her rules obeyed despite being an angry marshmallow. She's pretty old, blind in one eye, arthritic, and won't fly anymore so I'm having to come up with ideas on how to make her space outside her cage more fun and livable. I mean, she likes her cage but when I'm home she wants to be free in her bedroom. Here she is in her ball pit. [img]https://i.imgur.com/P003n4V.png[/img] And a blurry scritch picture. [img]https://i.imgur.com/glxepE3.png[/img]
Look at the beepers!
I love tiels, they are probably my 2nd favorite parrot species and probably make the best bird friends for most people. If I wasn't in love with lovebirds being sassy little cuddlepests I could totally see myself getting a tiel.

@ColonelChicken
They are beautiful! It's amazing that they'll get even more beautiful when they are adults.
It sounds like they are doing great in your home so far, I hope Buck calms down once he's done being a 'teenager.'

@Endee
Aww. Thank you for taking in this little one in need and giving her a loving home.

I don't have a tiel, but a 17 year old peach face lovebird Peanut. I know I probably post about her too much on FR but I love her so damn much. She's so gentile and sweet, cuddly and lovable... and a tiny bundle of sass that totally expects to be taken seriously and have her rules obeyed despite being an angry marshmallow.
She's pretty old, blind in one eye, arthritic, and won't fly anymore so I'm having to come up with ideas on how to make her space outside her cage more fun and livable. I mean, she likes her cage but when I'm home she wants to be free in her bedroom.

Here she is in her ball pit.
P003n4V.png

And a blurry scritch picture.
glxepE3.png
Yup, I have a feather baby. Mine is pied, and thinks he's a lapdog lol, he's always begging for scritches and pets. Funny story, we didn't actually buy him, he was somebody else's runaway that we ended up keeping. We were all at a beach, swimming at a lake and we suddenly started hearing screaming from the shore! Of course, we all came out of the water to see what the fuss was about, and this bird had just flown out of the trees and landed on this lady who was freaking out. We already had another cockatiel at the time, so my mother asked if the lady wanted him. She said no, so we kept him. We tried to find the original owner, looking in the newspapers and leaving found posters, but nobody ever claimed him, so he became ours. That was over a decade ago, before the internet became as widely used as it its now. Nowadays, he's pretty much my bird, and he's very attached to me. He takes a shower with me every day, and he likes to talk to cups,shampoo bottles,toilet paper rolls and old men. He also loves boxes, throws a fit if we don't keep one in his cage to play with. [img]https://i.imgur.com/52liLNy.jpg[/img] Begging for pets. [img]https://i.imgur.com/OWtzv2f.jpg[/img] What do you want? [img]https://i.imgur.com/qjceysz.jpg[/img]
Yup, I have a feather baby. Mine is pied, and thinks he's a lapdog lol, he's always begging for scritches and pets.

Funny story, we didn't actually buy him, he was somebody else's runaway that we ended up keeping. We were all at a beach, swimming at a lake and we suddenly started hearing screaming from the shore! Of course, we all came out of the water to see what the fuss was about, and this bird had just flown out of the trees and landed on this lady who was freaking out. We already had another cockatiel at the time, so my mother asked if the lady wanted him. She said no, so we kept him. We tried to find the original owner, looking in the newspapers and leaving found posters, but nobody ever claimed him, so he became ours. That was over a decade ago, before the internet became as widely used as it its now.

Nowadays, he's pretty much my bird, and he's very attached to me. He takes a shower with me every day, and he likes to talk to cups,shampoo bottles,toilet paper rolls and old men. He also loves boxes, throws a fit if we don't keep one in his cage to play with.
52liLNy.jpg
Begging for pets.
OWtzv2f.jpg
What do you want?
qjceysz.jpg
ybwf4f9.gif
@ColonelChicken I have two birds! I'll start with my cockatiel, Sunny. (S)he's a very sweet bird! He wont stop eating seed, so he's like an old man. He's currently a victim of trying to not get eaten by the new kitten. And yeah... [img]https://i.imgur.com/dLqphKj.jpg[/img] Now for my parakeet, Stormy! He's a very happy bird that [b]LOVES[/b] loud noises. He often hangs upside down, and just tweets upside down for minutes. He loves to also tweet at bells, and just stares at his mirror. [img]https://i.imgur.com/3uC990S.jpg[/img]
@ColonelChicken

I have two birds! I'll start with my cockatiel, Sunny. (S)he's a very sweet bird! He wont stop eating seed, so he's like an old man. He's currently a victim of trying to not get eaten by the new kitten. And yeah...
dLqphKj.jpg

Now for my parakeet, Stormy! He's a very happy bird that LOVES loud noises. He often hangs upside down, and just tweets upside down for minutes. He loves to also tweet at bells, and just stares at his mirror.
3uC990S.jpg
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag3nSZFR.png
--z9OsVtc.png
--P9aWhak.png
--mgUKUE1.png
--JvUa9ma.png
--JgnXsev.png
i`m here @ColoneolChicken i cant show a photo because it`s not ready :( i picked it it out and named it Hedwig. We dont know it`s gender , it`s a pied. I`m going to get it in 2 - 3 weeks.
i`m here @ColoneolChicken i cant show a photo because it`s not ready :( i picked it it out and named it Hedwig. We dont know it`s gender , it`s a pied. I`m going to get it in 2 - 3 weeks.
mcpvFbQ.png
I don't have one but my grandfather does and his/her? (we don't actually know)

has one named punky who is kinda of an angry one it was my aunt's until she moved out and now it's his their super cute but their too aggressive
I don't have one but my grandfather does and his/her? (we don't actually know)

has one named punky who is kinda of an angry one it was my aunt's until she moved out and now it's his their super cute but their too aggressive
I have synesthesia 6kglit91v0.gif
@Endee Aw thanks! I love how white-faced 'tiels look all fancy and pretty when they're just big doofus. I love your girl! I'm glad a bird with special needs has someone to take care of her :D

@Ankokou I got so used to them, I can't really picture how they'll look once their heads are completly white... And Buck is angry, but still pretty ok, the worst he does is throw tantrums, but if that's the worst he does, then it will be okay :)
Your bird looks so sweet! Lovebirds have such a gentle look to them, I don't know what it is, but they look so soft and sweet *o*

@JackalSmiler What a cute little guy! He got very lucky to be found by you, he looks happy ^^

@StormyParakeet Aw, a budgie! I love the little guys, I hesitated a lot before choosing to get cockatiels instead.

@marthacat Hedwig is a cute name, good luck with your new bird!

@Endee Aw thanks! I love how white-faced 'tiels look all fancy and pretty when they're just big doofus. I love your girl! I'm glad a bird with special needs has someone to take care of her :D

@Ankokou I got so used to them, I can't really picture how they'll look once their heads are completly white... And Buck is angry, but still pretty ok, the worst he does is throw tantrums, but if that's the worst he does, then it will be okay :)
Your bird looks so sweet! Lovebirds have such a gentle look to them, I don't know what it is, but they look so soft and sweet *o*

@JackalSmiler What a cute little guy! He got very lucky to be found by you, he looks happy ^^

@StormyParakeet Aw, a budgie! I love the little guys, I hesitated a lot before choosing to get cockatiels instead.

@marthacat Hedwig is a cute name, good luck with your new bird!

tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
I've had cockatiels and budgies since I was 8 years old. This lutino girl is my current bird, her name's Luna. She's a rescue I adopted from a local domestic bird rescue and rehoming charity after my previous 'tiel passed away of old age. We don't know anything about her past, or even how old she is, but she sees everything as a threat and would rather be left alone. (the budgie in this photo is Buddy my previous budgie, she passed away back in September 2013) [img]https://img00.deviantart.net/d663/i/2015/110/8/3/queens_of_the_clothes_pile_by_adder_snake_bite-d6mzqui.jpg[/img] And here's Buddy and my previous 'tiel Norbert. Norbert was one of those birds that formed an attachment to only one person and hated everyone else. Luckily it was me he bonded to since he was my bird lol. [img]https://img00.deviantart.net/c402/i/2015/110/4/f/you_are_my_island_by_adder_snake_bite-d6o5fp9.png[/img]
I've had cockatiels and budgies since I was 8 years old.

This lutino girl is my current bird, her name's Luna. She's a rescue I adopted from a local domestic bird rescue and rehoming charity after my previous 'tiel passed away of old age. We don't know anything about her past, or even how old she is, but she sees everything as a threat and would rather be left alone. (the budgie in this photo is Buddy my previous budgie, she passed away back in September 2013)

queens_of_the_clothes_pile_by_adder_snake_bite-d6mzqui.jpg

And here's Buddy and my previous 'tiel Norbert. Norbert was one of those birds that formed an attachment to only one person and hated everyone else. Luckily it was me he bonded to since he was my bird lol.
you_are_my_island_by_adder_snake_bite-d6o5fp9.png
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
i only have cats but these are some cool and good birbs right there
i only have cats but these are some cool and good birbs right there
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
1 2