Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Millipedes!
1 2 3
Those things freak me out! But not as much as centipedes do. -_- You're brave for wanting one, I've heard their bites hurt like a b-word, and that they're poison. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ;-;
Those things freak me out! But not as much as centipedes do. -_- You're brave for wanting one, I've heard their bites hurt like a b-word, and that they're poison. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ;-;
I actually had a pet centipede before!! You cant handle them, but they actually make amazing and interesting pets. A bit hard to clean up after however, and transport.
I actually had a pet centipede before!! You cant handle them, but they actually make amazing and interesting pets. A bit hard to clean up after however, and transport.
IaoKIjl.png
Oh whoops, pardon my mistake! I always assumed that millipedes and centipedes were classified as bugs, not as arthropods. Well, you learn something new each day
Oh whoops, pardon my mistake! I always assumed that millipedes and centipedes were classified as bugs, not as arthropods. Well, you learn something new each day
Axolotyl_Benediction.png
[quote name="Kalanchoe" date=2017-01-29 15:36:20] Oh whoops, pardon my mistake! I always assumed that millipedes and centipedes were classified as bugs, not as arthropods. Well, you learn something new each day [/quote] What's the difference? o.O
Kalanchoe wrote on 2017-01-29:
What's the difference? o.O
image.png
@Thesarcasticfox

Us bug people are possibly at least a little crazy. My brother's mantis broke his raptorial arms and is having difficulty catching food, so I impaled a cricket and rubbed its guts on his face. *shudders* Definitely one of the less fun aspects of mantis ownership, but I'll do whatever I need to if it's for my pets' health.

But yeah, still a little crazy. ^-^
@Thesarcasticfox

Us bug people are possibly at least a little crazy. My brother's mantis broke his raptorial arms and is having difficulty catching food, so I impaled a cricket and rubbed its guts on his face. *shudders* Definitely one of the less fun aspects of mantis ownership, but I'll do whatever I need to if it's for my pets' health.

But yeah, still a little crazy. ^-^
image.png
@AceLizard

Yep, as long as you know the tree hasn't been sprayed with anything it should be good. A lot of people will pop the sticks/leaves in the oven to sterilize them of unwanted pests. I don't know the times offhand but if you google it I'm sure you will get suggested temps/times depending on the size/thickness of the pieces of wood.

As for the repti-cal I know I've seen a number of people use reptile based calcium products for their millipedes so I would think it would be a perfectly acceptable source.

Edit: Forgot to add yes coco coir works as a great medium to help create the substrate.

@partypiggy98

Although I've never ordered from them I can tell you they are a trusted source when it comes to a number of inverts. If you are unsure of how much substrate you need for your tank I suggest emailing them as they will likely be able to easily tell you how much to purchase to get the job done for your setup.
@AceLizard

Yep, as long as you know the tree hasn't been sprayed with anything it should be good. A lot of people will pop the sticks/leaves in the oven to sterilize them of unwanted pests. I don't know the times offhand but if you google it I'm sure you will get suggested temps/times depending on the size/thickness of the pieces of wood.

As for the repti-cal I know I've seen a number of people use reptile based calcium products for their millipedes so I would think it would be a perfectly acceptable source.

Edit: Forgot to add yes coco coir works as a great medium to help create the substrate.

@partypiggy98

Although I've never ordered from them I can tell you they are a trusted source when it comes to a number of inverts. If you are unsure of how much substrate you need for your tank I suggest emailing them as they will likely be able to easily tell you how much to purchase to get the job done for your setup.
@Ryanna Centipedes are the poison ones! less legs, more bitey. Millipedes are more legs, less bitey (at least, thats how i remember it)
@Ryanna Centipedes are the poison ones! less legs, more bitey. Millipedes are more legs, less bitey (at least, thats how i remember it)
Nebula
He / Xe / They
Deviantart at ProtoplanetaryNebula
+2h FR time

GAY PRIDE!
@AceLizard

Yes I know.
Ergh I used to live in a state where the big centipedes live, forgot their name. But they could reach a foot long. Never saw one thankfully.

I just wasn't sure if millipedes were poison also.
@AceLizard

Yes I know.
Ergh I used to live in a state where the big centipedes live, forgot their name. But they could reach a foot long. Never saw one thankfully.

I just wasn't sure if millipedes were poison also.
I have to giggle a little bit. If Millipedes are not animals, are they plants, fungus, or bacteria (not listing all the categories.)?

I wish you luck with your new pet, I would not want a giant bug in my room, but I am happy that you have found a critter that works for you. :)
I have to giggle a little bit. If Millipedes are not animals, are they plants, fungus, or bacteria (not listing all the categories.)?

I wish you luck with your new pet, I would not want a giant bug in my room, but I am happy that you have found a critter that works for you. :)
1 2 3