Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | DnD anyone?
1 2 3
Lately my mind has been just staring into the fun that is of making up my own characters for future campaigns, listening to the podcast "The Adventure Zone", and overall I think I have a bit of an obsession with DnD. SOOOOO I came to ask - anyone have any funny or memorable moments in your DnD sessions? Or what sort of characters you have to introduce, or ones you'd like to try to make? I'll go ahead and chat about a nerd I made for a previous campaign I used to be in, to start things off! [img]http://file.toyhou.se/images/2714870_tsmi6T4vvCIcWbv.png[/img] So this is my nerd, Lokas! He's a Gnome Bard, Chaotic Neutral, if I recall right (it's been a while pFF;;;; ) and despite only having a few sessions done, i got some fun moments with this guy here! In our campaign, most of us had characters that were all very short, and only two were relatively tall. One of the short ones, named Little Boy Blue, he was a bit of a kleptomaniac; pickpocketing pockets like if he didn't, it'd kill him or something. My character, being a little stoic/quiet at the time, he thought it was the right thing to try and slap the guy's hand away from one's pocket. It ended up being a very poor slap, and the two began to just have this big ol' sissy fight during a quest pFFT - the same character pickpocketing then tried to pickpocket a lady later in the session; the lady didn't have any pockets, so he just stroked her thigh a few times before getting smacked :")
Lately my mind has been just staring into the fun that is of making up my own characters for future campaigns, listening to the podcast "The Adventure Zone", and overall I think I have a bit of an obsession with DnD.

SOOOOO I came to ask - anyone have any funny or memorable moments in your DnD sessions? Or what sort of characters you have to introduce, or ones you'd like to try to make?

I'll go ahead and chat about a nerd I made for a previous campaign I used to be in, to start things off!

2714870_tsmi6T4vvCIcWbv.png

So this is my nerd, Lokas! He's a Gnome Bard, Chaotic Neutral, if I recall right (it's been a while pFF;;;; ) and despite only having a few sessions done, i got some fun moments with this guy here!

In our campaign, most of us had characters that were all very short, and only two were relatively tall. One of the short ones, named Little Boy Blue, he was a bit of a kleptomaniac; pickpocketing pockets like if he didn't, it'd kill him or something. My character, being a little stoic/quiet at the time, he thought it was the right thing to try and slap the guy's hand away from one's pocket. It ended up being a very poor slap, and the two began to just have this big ol' sissy fight during a quest pFFT - the same character pickpocketing then tried to pickpocket a lady later in the session; the lady didn't have any pockets, so he just stroked her thigh a few times before getting smacked :")
tumblr_o5swj7pdNN1swp7two4_r1_400.png tumblr_inline_n6kdupObsO1qlye38.gif
That sounds hilarious. I've never gotten introduced to DnD but I'll hear a funny story every once and a while.
That sounds hilarious. I've never gotten introduced to DnD but I'll hear a funny story every once and a while.
QqwiU1r.png
the
price
you pay
QqwiU1r.png QqwiU1r.png jJO64nG.png
@Aikaikaik I've shared some stories of my more memorable DnD characters before on these forums, but I recently played in a couple of one-shots, so I have some really great stories from those!

Most recently, we were playing a one-shot scenario in which our group needed to escape a cursed forest. The main villain of this scenario was a dryad and her dire tiger companion. My character fell in love with her upon first meeting her. When she showed up a second time for the big 'boss' fight, my character got the first move.

I look at the other players. They all try to convince me my character would fight her.

I smile and turn to the DM. "I'd roll my Sing skill, please."

The rest of the players look on in horror. The DM does a sort of quiet facepalm but gives me the go-ahead.

The die lands on a 20.

The looks on everyone's faces (mine included) were priceless. The DM declared this as meaning my character had successfully wooed the dryad and purged the darkness from her heart with the power of his song. The game ended in a karaoke rendition of "Don't Stop Believing".

It was the best ending to any campaign I've ever been a part of.
@Aikaikaik I've shared some stories of my more memorable DnD characters before on these forums, but I recently played in a couple of one-shots, so I have some really great stories from those!

Most recently, we were playing a one-shot scenario in which our group needed to escape a cursed forest. The main villain of this scenario was a dryad and her dire tiger companion. My character fell in love with her upon first meeting her. When she showed up a second time for the big 'boss' fight, my character got the first move.

I look at the other players. They all try to convince me my character would fight her.

I smile and turn to the DM. "I'd roll my Sing skill, please."

The rest of the players look on in horror. The DM does a sort of quiet facepalm but gives me the go-ahead.

The die lands on a 20.

The looks on everyone's faces (mine included) were priceless. The DM declared this as meaning my character had successfully wooed the dryad and purged the darkness from her heart with the power of his song. The game ended in a karaoke rendition of "Don't Stop Believing".

It was the best ending to any campaign I've ever been a part of.
Odn3PBL.png
@Aikaikaik

I only just started recently, and have only played two games, but my group has already gotten up to some WEEEEEEIIRD nonsense.

Like, in our first game, one of the boys brought a kazoo, and we fought a couple Sturges (those giant mosquito things, I think that's how it's spelled XD), so he started playing the kazoo to make buzzing noises.

Just last night was our second game, and that same kid beheaded our first monster encounter and took the head with him XD

I tried to talk like my character, Necromercer, in the first game and failed miserably too, so my friend (who invited me and my sister to play in the first place) started calling me Necromercer of the Changing Accents, since I failed holding the very mild accent I wanted for her and started doing a British accent.

We also fought a devil king last night, and I don't own a ranged weapon, so my friend (her brother was DM for this one) kept giving me darts to fight the king. We were in this crazy hiding spot that gave us access to the throne room, and we were above it, so we needed ranged weapons. I rolled a 20, and then a 4, so I got the max damage possible off the dart XD

I'm super excited for the more nonsense we'll cause next time we play
@Aikaikaik

I only just started recently, and have only played two games, but my group has already gotten up to some WEEEEEEIIRD nonsense.

Like, in our first game, one of the boys brought a kazoo, and we fought a couple Sturges (those giant mosquito things, I think that's how it's spelled XD), so he started playing the kazoo to make buzzing noises.

Just last night was our second game, and that same kid beheaded our first monster encounter and took the head with him XD

I tried to talk like my character, Necromercer, in the first game and failed miserably too, so my friend (who invited me and my sister to play in the first place) started calling me Necromercer of the Changing Accents, since I failed holding the very mild accent I wanted for her and started doing a British accent.

We also fought a devil king last night, and I don't own a ranged weapon, so my friend (her brother was DM for this one) kept giving me darts to fight the king. We were in this crazy hiding spot that gave us access to the throne room, and we were above it, so we needed ranged weapons. I rolled a 20, and then a 4, so I got the max damage possible off the dart XD

I'm super excited for the more nonsense we'll cause next time we play
A pink recolor of the hydrena watertoy. Click here to see my current avatar dragon!
My username is W1F1N1GHTM4R3, there are no vowels (only numbers), so if you don't think you can spell it properly, just copy+paste it please!

Current Project: pjsekai fandragon outfits
@Remos Ahh vuv Funny stories are always fun, no matter where :"D

@radiant17 om g I can only imagine the looks on their faces pFFT - that sounds amazing of a one-shot!!

@W1F1N1GHTM4R3 Oh my god the kazoo sounds like a creative and funny way to go about noises in the game heheheheheheh and omg I can't blame you with the accents; i did try an accent for Lokas when I first started (I've only played a few sessions involving him and unfortunately the campaign i was in was cut very short due to school) though it didn't stick with him hahah - it's tricky to keep up with holding onto a accent for a good while :") And holy shoot that max. damage though! I'm sure after seeing the results of the roll must of been such a cool moment omg

These all sound really fun aaaaaaaaaa!!
@Remos Ahh vuv Funny stories are always fun, no matter where :"D

@radiant17 om g I can only imagine the looks on their faces pFFT - that sounds amazing of a one-shot!!

@W1F1N1GHTM4R3 Oh my god the kazoo sounds like a creative and funny way to go about noises in the game heheheheheheh and omg I can't blame you with the accents; i did try an accent for Lokas when I first started (I've only played a few sessions involving him and unfortunately the campaign i was in was cut very short due to school) though it didn't stick with him hahah - it's tricky to keep up with holding onto a accent for a good while :") And holy shoot that max. damage though! I'm sure after seeing the results of the roll must of been such a cool moment omg

These all sound really fun aaaaaaaaaa!!
@Aikaikaik My group's been doing a series of one-shots the past few weeks and they've all had pretty memorable endings. Perhaps the best part about running a one-shot is everyone feels less inclined to keep their characters safe and so they do crazy things (like trying to serenade an angry dryad). And then when those crazy things pay off, they really pay off!

@W1F1N1GHTM4R3 Oh goodness, I absolutely love that kazoo story! I should try to do something similar the next time Stirges show up in one of the campaigns I run. And I can relate to the trouble with accents. In a superhero-themed game I was recently a player in, my character was a stage magician from France, but I can't do a French accent to save my life and so I would just periodically remind all the other players to imagine everything I was saying with a French accent.
@Aikaikaik My group's been doing a series of one-shots the past few weeks and they've all had pretty memorable endings. Perhaps the best part about running a one-shot is everyone feels less inclined to keep their characters safe and so they do crazy things (like trying to serenade an angry dryad). And then when those crazy things pay off, they really pay off!

@W1F1N1GHTM4R3 Oh goodness, I absolutely love that kazoo story! I should try to do something similar the next time Stirges show up in one of the campaigns I run. And I can relate to the trouble with accents. In a superhero-themed game I was recently a player in, my character was a stage magician from France, but I can't do a French accent to save my life and so I would just periodically remind all the other players to imagine everything I was saying with a French accent.
Odn3PBL.png
@radiant17 Ahhh - I've never really done one-shots, though it sounds really intriguing!! It sounds like a game called "Dread", if you've heard of it - it's very much a horror/suspenseful one-shot heheh - Thinking maybe I should try to host some one-shots sometime (if i can find the time and people to pFF;; )
@radiant17 Ahhh - I've never really done one-shots, though it sounds really intriguing!! It sounds like a game called "Dread", if you've heard of it - it's very much a horror/suspenseful one-shot heheh - Thinking maybe I should try to host some one-shots sometime (if i can find the time and people to pFF;; )
@Aikaikaik Aah, I love d&d ^-^

I've recently been playing a hormonal (to put it lightly) sarcastic little chaotic neutral changeling who's got a thing for goblins.

She's had a pet snake since early on in her latest campaign who she built a functioning jetpack-ish device for. Now, later on in a boss fight with a wizard who summoned two cyclones in the room we were in, things seemed helpless until Odile decided to throw her snake into the fray. DM told me to roll for fate, got a nat d100, and the snake KOed the boss in one hit. He earned his name that day, Danger Noodle.
@Aikaikaik Aah, I love d&d ^-^

I've recently been playing a hormonal (to put it lightly) sarcastic little chaotic neutral changeling who's got a thing for goblins.

She's had a pet snake since early on in her latest campaign who she built a functioning jetpack-ish device for. Now, later on in a boss fight with a wizard who summoned two cyclones in the room we were in, things seemed helpless until Odile decided to throw her snake into the fray. DM told me to roll for fate, got a nat d100, and the snake KOed the boss in one hit. He earned his name that day, Danger Noodle.
K2uvkNB.png
First off, OMG @radiant17 that is hilarious! I can only imagine your group's reaction. That would be priceless.

@Aikaikaik I started playing 5e a year and a half ago with my friend and her group (her brother DM's), but we've moved on to other games lately. I still play D&D on roll20 weekly, but it isn't quite the same.

We were playing a homebrew campaign that had been going on for quite a while (I think by the time my bf and I joined, we were already level 5?) My favourite character is immortalised here because she is a dragonborn wild magic sorcerer.

My favourite moment was this time we were exploring this magically frozen city and found ourselves in an indoor market of sorts. There was a new character joining us this session, so he was sneaking up on the party. My sorcerer, Biri, was startled by a spider and tried to blast it with a magic missile, only for me to roll a 1 and set off her wild magic. She ended up spraying grease all over the place. Then when her companion tried to fight off the new guy with his flaming longsword, he set the place on fire. Then while running away from the fire, we ended up slipping and sliding all over the grease, and Biri ended up sliding head-first into a gigantic spider web and nearly eaten alive.

That was a totally ridiculous session and I love my wild magic just for that.
First off, OMG @radiant17 that is hilarious! I can only imagine your group's reaction. That would be priceless.

@Aikaikaik I started playing 5e a year and a half ago with my friend and her group (her brother DM's), but we've moved on to other games lately. I still play D&D on roll20 weekly, but it isn't quite the same.

We were playing a homebrew campaign that had been going on for quite a while (I think by the time my bf and I joined, we were already level 5?) My favourite character is immortalised here because she is a dragonborn wild magic sorcerer.

My favourite moment was this time we were exploring this magically frozen city and found ourselves in an indoor market of sorts. There was a new character joining us this session, so he was sneaking up on the party. My sorcerer, Biri, was startled by a spider and tried to blast it with a magic missile, only for me to roll a 1 and set off her wild magic. She ended up spraying grease all over the place. Then when her companion tried to fight off the new guy with his flaming longsword, he set the place on fire. Then while running away from the fire, we ended up slipping and sliding all over the grease, and Biri ended up sliding head-first into a gigantic spider web and nearly eaten alive.

That was a totally ridiculous session and I love my wild magic just for that.
ZION8ES.png
@Aikaikaik

I used to play DnD with a group of friends, but then half of them got jobs that conflicted with the group and it slowly dwindled in number. It was at the point where we had the DM's mom and two NPCs and it wasn't enough to keep it going.

I've played mostly of 4th edition because my DM had most of the 4e books and expansions.

My favorite characters were a half-elf paladin named Aurelia Argent and a Minotaur ranger named Dresden Waldschatten.

Aurelia was a paladin of the Raven Queen with a nasty greataxe and a raven-feather cloak, taken into the goddess' service to lift a curse on her family. She died fighting black puddings and chose not to be resurrected.

Dresden was a Minotaur ranger who escaped a Baphometian cult, leaving her family behind, and was raised and trained by wood elves. Due to her feats and the fact that she had a longbow, she could shoot an arrow across the entire board without penalty. (She had one feat that extended her bow's range by 5 and another that removed the -2 penalty for long-distance shooting.) Sadly, the campaign got cut off early and I didn't really get to explore Dresden's potential, so I want to play her again, though it may have to be in a different setting.

There have been some rather interesting stories that have come out of our campaigns. Let's just say there's a reason our DM's nickname for us is "The Natural 1 Society".

Some stories:
One of our players was playing a star-pact warlock who was a Jehovah's Witness-esque character, handing out pamphlets about the greatness of our Lord and Savior The Void, which was the concept of the blackness of space.

During a battle with skeletons, the warlock was going to use one of his daily powers, Dread Star. Another player, who was playing a bard, dared the warlock to roll a natural 1 and said that the warlock could hit the bard if he rolled a 1. Guess what the warlock rolled? Surprisingly, it wasn't Dread Star that killed the bard, it was the exploding remains of a boneshard skeleton that finally did him in.

In that campaign, we also had a recurring foe in the form of a goblin hexer who kept running away when she was at low health so we never truly defeated her. This will be important in a minute.

There was another point in the campaign where the entire party failed their Will saves and got sucked through a magic portal in the woods, except for the warlock. The warlock, in a fit of rage, stapled his Void pamphlets to all of the trees in the forest and burned the forest down with Dread Star. He then became the king of a goblin village and converted them all to Voidism, and married our constant foe, the goblin hexer, and had a half-goblin child named Starr.

Remember how I said Aurelia died in a fight with black puddings? Well, it was an incredibly embarrassing fight, and here's how it happened.

We had reached the climax of our story arc. Our goal was to perform a difficult spell with a series of magic stones to banish a trickster Titan back to his home plane. To make sure that the Titan didn't try and kill us during the ritual, the spellcasters (who had very high Arcana and Knowledge checks needed for the ritual) stayed behind and let the melee fighters, the paladin (me) and the dragonborn fighter to guard the site.

Our DM sends black puddings on us, and it's up to the paladin and fighter to stop them. But here's the problem - one of the black pudding's main features is that, when hit by a melee attack, it splits into two smaller black puddings. We have two melee fighters attacking black puddings, and all of the spellcasters are busy, so we're pretty screwed here. It wasn't long before my paladin was dying after she was attacked by six baby black puddings that did a flat rate of 10 damage each. The dragonborn fighter was going to use a healing potion on her, but I failed my death saving throw on the turn right before the fighter was going to go, and Aurelia croaked just as the fighter was going to heal her.

@Aikaikaik

I used to play DnD with a group of friends, but then half of them got jobs that conflicted with the group and it slowly dwindled in number. It was at the point where we had the DM's mom and two NPCs and it wasn't enough to keep it going.

I've played mostly of 4th edition because my DM had most of the 4e books and expansions.

My favorite characters were a half-elf paladin named Aurelia Argent and a Minotaur ranger named Dresden Waldschatten.

Aurelia was a paladin of the Raven Queen with a nasty greataxe and a raven-feather cloak, taken into the goddess' service to lift a curse on her family. She died fighting black puddings and chose not to be resurrected.

Dresden was a Minotaur ranger who escaped a Baphometian cult, leaving her family behind, and was raised and trained by wood elves. Due to her feats and the fact that she had a longbow, she could shoot an arrow across the entire board without penalty. (She had one feat that extended her bow's range by 5 and another that removed the -2 penalty for long-distance shooting.) Sadly, the campaign got cut off early and I didn't really get to explore Dresden's potential, so I want to play her again, though it may have to be in a different setting.

There have been some rather interesting stories that have come out of our campaigns. Let's just say there's a reason our DM's nickname for us is "The Natural 1 Society".

Some stories:
One of our players was playing a star-pact warlock who was a Jehovah's Witness-esque character, handing out pamphlets about the greatness of our Lord and Savior The Void, which was the concept of the blackness of space.

During a battle with skeletons, the warlock was going to use one of his daily powers, Dread Star. Another player, who was playing a bard, dared the warlock to roll a natural 1 and said that the warlock could hit the bard if he rolled a 1. Guess what the warlock rolled? Surprisingly, it wasn't Dread Star that killed the bard, it was the exploding remains of a boneshard skeleton that finally did him in.

In that campaign, we also had a recurring foe in the form of a goblin hexer who kept running away when she was at low health so we never truly defeated her. This will be important in a minute.

There was another point in the campaign where the entire party failed their Will saves and got sucked through a magic portal in the woods, except for the warlock. The warlock, in a fit of rage, stapled his Void pamphlets to all of the trees in the forest and burned the forest down with Dread Star. He then became the king of a goblin village and converted them all to Voidism, and married our constant foe, the goblin hexer, and had a half-goblin child named Starr.

Remember how I said Aurelia died in a fight with black puddings? Well, it was an incredibly embarrassing fight, and here's how it happened.

We had reached the climax of our story arc. Our goal was to perform a difficult spell with a series of magic stones to banish a trickster Titan back to his home plane. To make sure that the Titan didn't try and kill us during the ritual, the spellcasters (who had very high Arcana and Knowledge checks needed for the ritual) stayed behind and let the melee fighters, the paladin (me) and the dragonborn fighter to guard the site.

Our DM sends black puddings on us, and it's up to the paladin and fighter to stop them. But here's the problem - one of the black pudding's main features is that, when hit by a melee attack, it splits into two smaller black puddings. We have two melee fighters attacking black puddings, and all of the spellcasters are busy, so we're pretty screwed here. It wasn't long before my paladin was dying after she was attacked by six baby black puddings that did a flat rate of 10 damage each. The dragonborn fighter was going to use a healing potion on her, but I failed my death saving throw on the turn right before the fighter was going to go, and Aurelia croaked just as the fighter was going to heal her.

Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
1 2 3