Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Have you ever looked at someone's OCs....
1 2
Well I mean there are already so many males in fiction and media, maybe some people are just bored with that and rather craft their own female characters, since nobody else is doing it for them.

Plus other reasons stated in here.

Gotta echo @Demonically as well with, why does it matter?
Well I mean there are already so many males in fiction and media, maybe some people are just bored with that and rather craft their own female characters, since nobody else is doing it for them.

Plus other reasons stated in here.

Gotta echo @Demonically as well with, why does it matter?
"Time to tip the scales!"
00544ed1c9.png
Eugh 90% of my OC's are male hahah. And I don't think it really matters, as long as that person feels comfortable with them?
Eugh 90% of my OC's are male hahah. And I don't think it really matters, as long as that person feels comfortable with them?
SXqaLwu.png

she/her
FR + 8/9
x
x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxart shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg1 sales
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxprofile dragon

I'm one of few that's stuck in a limbo -- I have more male OCs than female ones, but I think I write them like crap. But I can't make female characters for the life of me for some reason because they just don't really strike an interest cord in my mind.

Honestly, OCs are total personal preference to what one wants to write, draw, or play in a RP campaign.
I'm one of few that's stuck in a limbo -- I have more male OCs than female ones, but I think I write them like crap. But I can't make female characters for the life of me for some reason because they just don't really strike an interest cord in my mind.

Honestly, OCs are total personal preference to what one wants to write, draw, or play in a RP campaign.
N i c k
"Fear not the night."
→ he/him
dd9d37c13149d4412f933c2662309cbb42245e81.png
Between my friend and I the majority of our characters are female with different sexualities all across the board. I have no problem rping men and have a few of them even though I'm not as secure in my ability to write men as I am women but I think I've done well with them. I don't see a problem in having a lot of female OCs because your friends could have any number of reasons for it. Plus it's not really your business anyway or your job to be the fun police when they can do whatever they want
Between my friend and I the majority of our characters are female with different sexualities all across the board. I have no problem rping men and have a few of them even though I'm not as secure in my ability to write men as I am women but I think I've done well with them. I don't see a problem in having a lot of female OCs because your friends could have any number of reasons for it. Plus it's not really your business anyway or your job to be the fun police when they can do whatever they want
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
[quote name="Demonically" date=2016-05-13 15:26:06] @Determined Maybe they're not comfortable playing males. Maybe they feel that their male characters are flat. Maybe they're not interested in playing male characters. More importantly, why does it matter? [/quote]
Demonically wrote on 2016-05-13:
@Determined

Maybe they're not comfortable playing males.
Maybe they feel that their male characters are flat.
Maybe they're not interested in playing male characters.

More importantly, why does it matter?
Eh I'm nonbinary and most of my OCs are either women or nonbinary.

For me I've just never connected well with male characters, even as a young child. It's nothing personal, I don't have any problem with men and there are certainly male characters I like I just can't connect emotionally to them on the same level. I used to feel incredibly guilty about it and tried to force myself to connect with them.. it still bothers me a little, I wish I could feel equally connected to characters regardless of gender, but I could sit around all day creating male OCs that I'd just never use. It may just be because I can't quite grasp what it must feel like to be considered 'the default'.. it's probably a lot of complex, subconscious social factors.
Also, with so many male characters in media, it kind of feels like everything has already been done.. repeatedly.

I sort of feel like I should make the effort now though so hmm maybe I'll work on a male OC, see if I can manage one I can feel a connection to.
Eh I'm nonbinary and most of my OCs are either women or nonbinary.

For me I've just never connected well with male characters, even as a young child. It's nothing personal, I don't have any problem with men and there are certainly male characters I like I just can't connect emotionally to them on the same level. I used to feel incredibly guilty about it and tried to force myself to connect with them.. it still bothers me a little, I wish I could feel equally connected to characters regardless of gender, but I could sit around all day creating male OCs that I'd just never use. It may just be because I can't quite grasp what it must feel like to be considered 'the default'.. it's probably a lot of complex, subconscious social factors.
Also, with so many male characters in media, it kind of feels like everything has already been done.. repeatedly.

I sort of feel like I should make the effort now though so hmm maybe I'll work on a male OC, see if I can manage one I can feel a connection to.
Plaguether-naumachy-fr-sig.png
Mine are about even, but only after a concerted effort on my part to teach myself how to write characters of any gender well. I'm nonbinary and still probably have a slight bias toward male characters for sheer numbers, but I like to think that for the most part my characters are given equal treatment.

I know one thing I do that's probably *gasp* controversial is that I have a few female characters who behave in very traditionally feminine ways, but aren't portrayed as limited or backwards because of it. But I also have female characters who do have a more 'acceptably' modern gender presentation, and male characters who run the gamut from macho to flamboyant and everything in between. I enjoy the variety, because real life has people of all kinds.

My big pet peeve is the idea that a female-identifying person who is 'girly' is inherently negative. I'm a bit of a Ladette myself, but I don't see why a feminine woman is less hero material then a masculine woman or a guy. Being girly doesn't make you helpless and I hate that there's such an association. I also hate that people think a good female character is independent and without romantic ties. There's nothing wrong with falling in love or being a mother for that matter. If anything, wives and mothers have the potential to be some of the most kick-butt fictional characters there are. ;P

But yeah, I wish people didn't have this idea that feminine = weak and masculine = strong and that a female character showing feminine traits makes her weak or old fashioned. Same for femme guys being portrayed as more helpless then their masculine counterparts. Anybody can be a hero, it doesn't have anything to do with your gender or gender presentation.
Mine are about even, but only after a concerted effort on my part to teach myself how to write characters of any gender well. I'm nonbinary and still probably have a slight bias toward male characters for sheer numbers, but I like to think that for the most part my characters are given equal treatment.

I know one thing I do that's probably *gasp* controversial is that I have a few female characters who behave in very traditionally feminine ways, but aren't portrayed as limited or backwards because of it. But I also have female characters who do have a more 'acceptably' modern gender presentation, and male characters who run the gamut from macho to flamboyant and everything in between. I enjoy the variety, because real life has people of all kinds.

My big pet peeve is the idea that a female-identifying person who is 'girly' is inherently negative. I'm a bit of a Ladette myself, but I don't see why a feminine woman is less hero material then a masculine woman or a guy. Being girly doesn't make you helpless and I hate that there's such an association. I also hate that people think a good female character is independent and without romantic ties. There's nothing wrong with falling in love or being a mother for that matter. If anything, wives and mothers have the potential to be some of the most kick-butt fictional characters there are. ;P

But yeah, I wish people didn't have this idea that feminine = weak and masculine = strong and that a female character showing feminine traits makes her weak or old fashioned. Same for femme guys being portrayed as more helpless then their masculine counterparts. Anybody can be a hero, it doesn't have anything to do with your gender or gender presentation.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
I have six OCs currently, only two of them are actually females, but one of them is non binary and uses she/her pronouns. Out of the other three, one uses they/them pronouns, one of them is male, and the last one uses it/its pronouns.
Turns out I happened to make the NB OC that uses she/her pronouns is the most interesting out of the bunch, and one of the females is the most boring, yikes ://
I have six OCs currently, only two of them are actually females, but one of them is non binary and uses she/her pronouns. Out of the other three, one uses they/them pronouns, one of them is male, and the last one uses it/its pronouns.
Turns out I happened to make the NB OC that uses she/her pronouns is the most interesting out of the bunch, and one of the females is the most boring, yikes ://
HpBICfc.gif
» about me
» commissions
1 2