Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | A question for Pokémon fans.
1 2 3
I've experimented with competitive battle, but it's just not really my thing. I tend to use Pokemon I like the designs of rather than their stats. Which is disappointing, because thanks to gen 6, Hydreigon been nerfed down so much. :(
I've experimented with competitive battle, but it's just not really my thing. I tend to use Pokemon I like the designs of rather than their stats. Which is disappointing, because thanks to gen 6, Hydreigon been nerfed down so much. :(
8550aee9e6b0240ca32ebdcfd04fa62ae2e7e644.gif
73a7d53744f1550afcf2d03fe0ec197aeb84e76d.gif1b1f6d94f932296bf41fbe9a2c0ff9d5292c69d8.gif54b04308bbd423d93f4e5fc7fb40a5afee4f256d.gif6c8b9aca5e1946f522f766dc4d5891390b55bf3d.gif
z3FSuck.pngU0bFCPN.pngl8NOdbs.png
FqAY3t1.pnghh5n4WA.pngsbmtjDC.png
g31.png
Not anymore than it takes away feelings of friendship with any other game with a competitive scene? The competitive battling community is one of the most open ones I've participated in, and the need to find specific pokemon with movesets or IVs has the potential to place you into contact with lots of different people. Friendship is where you find it. The mechanics of a game have little to nothing to do with it once it's all said and done
Not anymore than it takes away feelings of friendship with any other game with a competitive scene? The competitive battling community is one of the most open ones I've participated in, and the need to find specific pokemon with movesets or IVs has the potential to place you into contact with lots of different people. Friendship is where you find it. The mechanics of a game have little to nothing to do with it once it's all said and done
Big evil logical meanieface
I don't think so. Getting a competitively viable pokemon does take a lot of careful breeding and mass-produces pokemon, but I can think of plenty of competitive pokes that I use out of sentimentality just as much as I use them to get the edge in battle, even when I could probably breed another pokemon to replace it with to get an even stronger team.

When breeding for egg moves, IVs, or shinies, I'll also wondertrade the offspring that aren't what I'm looking for, so that others who might not have that pokemon or want to expand their competetive pokemon collection have a good place to start. I'll also get a ton of really nice breeding rejects from other players that I can use to expand my own collection, so there's definitely a sharing aspect there.

I think it just really depends on the person doing the breeding. I don't see the pokemon less popular or effective in the metagame as 'bad', and I even prefer using them to cookie-cutter strategies with the really strong pokemon. It keeps things interesting, and coming up with your own movesets and strategies is really fun and keeps opponents guessing.

After all, Se Jun Park proved in the 2014 VGC world finals that you don't need to use popular or 'strong' pokemon to win when he won using a Pachirisu. He's the kind of player I admire, and stuff like that shows that the competitive scene in pokemon isn't completely devoid of the lessons of friendship the actual stories of the games have, IMO.
I don't think so. Getting a competitively viable pokemon does take a lot of careful breeding and mass-produces pokemon, but I can think of plenty of competitive pokes that I use out of sentimentality just as much as I use them to get the edge in battle, even when I could probably breed another pokemon to replace it with to get an even stronger team.

When breeding for egg moves, IVs, or shinies, I'll also wondertrade the offspring that aren't what I'm looking for, so that others who might not have that pokemon or want to expand their competetive pokemon collection have a good place to start. I'll also get a ton of really nice breeding rejects from other players that I can use to expand my own collection, so there's definitely a sharing aspect there.

I think it just really depends on the person doing the breeding. I don't see the pokemon less popular or effective in the metagame as 'bad', and I even prefer using them to cookie-cutter strategies with the really strong pokemon. It keeps things interesting, and coming up with your own movesets and strategies is really fun and keeps opponents guessing.

After all, Se Jun Park proved in the 2014 VGC world finals that you don't need to use popular or 'strong' pokemon to win when he won using a Pachirisu. He's the kind of player I admire, and stuff like that shows that the competitive scene in pokemon isn't completely devoid of the lessons of friendship the actual stories of the games have, IMO.
[quote name="davespriteegg" date=2016-04-04 15:12:46]Do you think that the mechanics necessary to get a "perfect" Pokémon take away from the themes of friendship?[/quote] Nope. As far as I'm concerned, the wild Pidgey I caught in Yellow and the 6-IV HP Ground Mega Pidgeot I bred in ORAS are one and the same. I'm all for using your favourites, though, despite my IV perfectionism. On top of all the other reasons, it just feels [i]So[/i]. [i]Damn[/i]. [i]Good[/i] to steamroll a cookie-cutter Ubers team with a handful of NUs and RUs. =P
davespriteegg wrote on 2016-04-04:
Do you think that the mechanics necessary to get a "perfect" Pokémon take away from the themes of friendship?

Nope. As far as I'm concerned, the wild Pidgey I caught in Yellow and the 6-IV HP Ground Mega Pidgeot I bred in ORAS are one and the same.

I'm all for using your favourites, though, despite my IV perfectionism. On top of all the other reasons, it just feels So. Damn. Good to steamroll a cookie-cutter Ubers team with a handful of NUs and RUs. =P
ZSHaQMJ.gif
vDmNeIH.png
@davespriteegg

YES AND NO, i dont breed for ivs and moves, but i do breed for the perfect gender.

like i always have a female mawile named scarlett on my team, if cant find a female in the wild ill breed for one.
and since thats the way i always do it, i can always grow to love them. i dont even think of them as different pokemon across the games, they are all the same scarlett to me. and i love them

but i agree that it takes the fun out of it if you breed like 10000 of the same pokemon just to get a certain one you want. by the end they just feel disposable. so i dont like that. and thats why i dont participate in that. i raise the pokemon i catch no matter the nature or ivs and we become feiends along our journey.
@davespriteegg

YES AND NO, i dont breed for ivs and moves, but i do breed for the perfect gender.

like i always have a female mawile named scarlett on my team, if cant find a female in the wild ill breed for one.
and since thats the way i always do it, i can always grow to love them. i dont even think of them as different pokemon across the games, they are all the same scarlett to me. and i love them

but i agree that it takes the fun out of it if you breed like 10000 of the same pokemon just to get a certain one you want. by the end they just feel disposable. so i dont like that. and thats why i dont participate in that. i raise the pokemon i catch no matter the nature or ivs and we become feiends along our journey.
Not necessarily. I find I have quite an attachment to the 'perfect' IV/EV/nature pokemon, for the reason that it took so many hours and effort to get. They feel important and special to me, like one of a kind. Granted, my team consists of pokemon that I personally find appealing, rather than for maximum performance.

If I had to make a team based on non-favourites purely because it performs better in competition, I definitely would not have as much attachment.

Which is why I like the game so much; people have won competitive tournaments with the most unexpected and unorthodox pokemon. If you have the strategy, you are justified in building your team based on personal favourites. This versatility is the game's strength.
Not necessarily. I find I have quite an attachment to the 'perfect' IV/EV/nature pokemon, for the reason that it took so many hours and effort to get. They feel important and special to me, like one of a kind. Granted, my team consists of pokemon that I personally find appealing, rather than for maximum performance.

If I had to make a team based on non-favourites purely because it performs better in competition, I definitely would not have as much attachment.

Which is why I like the game so much; people have won competitive tournaments with the most unexpected and unorthodox pokemon. If you have the strategy, you are justified in building your team based on personal favourites. This versatility is the game's strength.
@davespriteegg
Yes and no. While the competitive side of the game (Which is completely optional and not part of the main story at all) is often devoid of friendship, the competitive side of any game is generally pretty soul-crushing. Video games are meant to be fun, but if you really want to be the best around you will have to make that game your job. Hundreds of hours of killing large rats, or digging holes, or biking back and forth in front of the daycare man. The wall between normal players and competitive champions is scaled only with endlessly repeating, mind-numbing tasks.

It's a little like life, really. The point is to enjoy it, but if you want to 'win' you must dedicate the majority of your time to a job that is likely to be endless hours of repetitive tasks. At least in most games you can still accomplish the main singleplayer goal with fun.
@davespriteegg
Yes and no. While the competitive side of the game (Which is completely optional and not part of the main story at all) is often devoid of friendship, the competitive side of any game is generally pretty soul-crushing. Video games are meant to be fun, but if you really want to be the best around you will have to make that game your job. Hundreds of hours of killing large rats, or digging holes, or biking back and forth in front of the daycare man. The wall between normal players and competitive champions is scaled only with endlessly repeating, mind-numbing tasks.

It's a little like life, really. The point is to enjoy it, but if you want to 'win' you must dedicate the majority of your time to a job that is likely to be endless hours of repetitive tasks. At least in most games you can still accomplish the main singleplayer goal with fun.
The RNG taketh, and the RNG taketh more. The RNG does not give.
Hoard style apparel guide (!image heavy!)
Small art shop!
bump!
bump!
-3 hours FR time
Mega evolution in itself means that competitive battlers DO have to have a friendship with their Pokémon as for a Pokémon to mega evolve it needs to have a bond with its trainer (lore-wise, not mechanic wise. It'd be annoying to fans to introduce affection levels for megas considering the time it takes already to make one. Also to make e.g. a togekiss for competitive battling, you have to have a friendship level with it). Of course, everyone has one mega in a competitive team and so it's fact that every successful competitive team the trainer MUST have a bond with its mega Pokémon.

As for viability, not every Pokémon can be the same. It doesn't mean every Pokémon can't be used competitively; if you look at Sejun and his Pachirisu, you'll see that the underdog Pokémon are highly valued and praised. This shows that people can use their favourites even if they're not as good competitive-wise, and the fans love it.
At the core, the values of friendship and such are VERY present in the game, anime etc but how, realistically, are you supposed to make 721 PKM all viable? There'd be barely any uniqueness.
In addition, I've used Pokémon solely for competitive use which I hated. However, after using them in battle I gained respect and actually started to like them (for example, conkeldurr, hariyama). Competitive battling has changed my negative views of some Pokémon to positive.
Mega evolution in itself means that competitive battlers DO have to have a friendship with their Pokémon as for a Pokémon to mega evolve it needs to have a bond with its trainer (lore-wise, not mechanic wise. It'd be annoying to fans to introduce affection levels for megas considering the time it takes already to make one. Also to make e.g. a togekiss for competitive battling, you have to have a friendship level with it). Of course, everyone has one mega in a competitive team and so it's fact that every successful competitive team the trainer MUST have a bond with its mega Pokémon.

As for viability, not every Pokémon can be the same. It doesn't mean every Pokémon can't be used competitively; if you look at Sejun and his Pachirisu, you'll see that the underdog Pokémon are highly valued and praised. This shows that people can use their favourites even if they're not as good competitive-wise, and the fans love it.
At the core, the values of friendship and such are VERY present in the game, anime etc but how, realistically, are you supposed to make 721 PKM all viable? There'd be barely any uniqueness.
In addition, I've used Pokémon solely for competitive use which I hated. However, after using them in battle I gained respect and actually started to like them (for example, conkeldurr, hariyama). Competitive battling has changed my negative views of some Pokémon to positive.
OjayHBU.png
I think it's just dependent on the type of person you are! I think the competitive area actually brings out a lot of friendship themes, especially between the "trainers" themselves! I see a lot of people who enjoy sharing ideas and strategies. I also see people learning to love Pokemon they didn't enjoy before. I'm not much for competitiveness myself because I tend to become a salty sue, but...!
I think it's just dependent on the type of person you are! I think the competitive area actually brings out a lot of friendship themes, especially between the "trainers" themselves! I see a lot of people who enjoy sharing ideas and strategies. I also see people learning to love Pokemon they didn't enjoy before. I'm not much for competitiveness myself because I tend to become a salty sue, but...!
Leader of the Bear Army
b4PU1hl.png
1 2 3