Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Astronomy Club!
1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
This looks like it's a treasure trove of fun! I'd like to join, if possible!

I'd like to become affiliates with you, since I run a group (although small and not yet really started) called the Congregation of Languages (COL), as seen here: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2012333#post_2012333

Thanks! ^^
This looks like it's a treasure trove of fun! I'd like to join, if possible!

I'd like to become affiliates with you, since I run a group (although small and not yet really started) called the Congregation of Languages (COL), as seen here: http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2012333#post_2012333

Thanks! ^^
@LaurelOfTheRain

Sure, we'd be happy to have you!! Sorry for the delay in responding. I'll add you right away!

The Congregation of Languages group sounds interesting, but I'd like to wait until it's completely started to become affiliates.

Clear Skies!
@LaurelOfTheRain

Sure, we'd be happy to have you!! Sorry for the delay in responding. I'll add you right away!

The Congregation of Languages group sounds interesting, but I'd like to wait until it's completely started to become affiliates.

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon: Sounds like a plan! I've just been busy with my schoolwork. I'm rearranging my schedule so that both things get done!
@ZannaDragon: Sounds like a plan! I've just been busy with my schoolwork. I'm rearranging my schedule so that both things get done!
Merlin's pants, this is PERFECT. :D Joining immediately.
Merlin's pants, this is PERFECT. :D Joining immediately.
sig2.jpg
@Nonith

Welcome to the club!! Out of curiosity, do you have a telescope? It's not a requirement of the club, I just like talking to fellow observers :)

Clear Skies!
@Nonith

Welcome to the club!! Out of curiosity, do you have a telescope? It's not a requirement of the club, I just like talking to fellow observers :)

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon

I do have one, but I most unfortunately live rather close in to a large city and don't get many chances to use it. Plus life is busy. :P
After I graduate I hope to move to west Texas or New Mexico or somewhere like that where the skies are clear and cities are fewer and far in between. But that won't be for a while. Until then I'll just have to hold tight.
@ZannaDragon

I do have one, but I most unfortunately live rather close in to a large city and don't get many chances to use it. Plus life is busy. :P
After I graduate I hope to move to west Texas or New Mexico or somewhere like that where the skies are clear and cities are fewer and far in between. But that won't be for a while. Until then I'll just have to hold tight.
sig2.jpg
@Nonith

Same situation here! I have an XT8, but I hardly ever use it anymore because the light pollution is so intense. I live in the city, and I'm basically limited to the Orion Nebula and Andromeda as far as deep sky objects go. I did manage to glimpse the Eskimo nebula once, which was exciting, but after a while looking at the same objects every night gets old :/ However, I take my telescope with me whenever I travel to somewhere with darker skies!

I actually visited McDonald Observatory out in West Texas not too long ago, and took my telescope. The skies were incredible!! West Texas is a great choice for astronomy. Oh, and if you're ever traveling to somewhere with dark skies, make sure to take binoculars! I actually wound up using my binoculars instead of my telescope because of the wider field of view. (also, when you are out in the dark in the middle of nowhere, you suddenly find that it's not so comfortable to be hunched over a telescope, unable to skedaddle if you hear a wild animal!) :P

Fortunately, there are other ways for me to do astronomy while in the city! :) I like to participate in some of the space citizen science projects on Zooniverse, and I also do a bit of remote imaging using the telescopes owned by the Tzec Maun foundation at Siding Spring Observatory, whenever the weather permits.

Have you ever tried any of the Zooniverse projects? Galaxy Zoo, Planet Hunters, the Milky Way Project, etc.? In case you haven't, they can be found here:

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects

They're loads of fun, and you get help classify scientific data while you're at it!

Clear Skies!
@Nonith

Same situation here! I have an XT8, but I hardly ever use it anymore because the light pollution is so intense. I live in the city, and I'm basically limited to the Orion Nebula and Andromeda as far as deep sky objects go. I did manage to glimpse the Eskimo nebula once, which was exciting, but after a while looking at the same objects every night gets old :/ However, I take my telescope with me whenever I travel to somewhere with darker skies!

I actually visited McDonald Observatory out in West Texas not too long ago, and took my telescope. The skies were incredible!! West Texas is a great choice for astronomy. Oh, and if you're ever traveling to somewhere with dark skies, make sure to take binoculars! I actually wound up using my binoculars instead of my telescope because of the wider field of view. (also, when you are out in the dark in the middle of nowhere, you suddenly find that it's not so comfortable to be hunched over a telescope, unable to skedaddle if you hear a wild animal!) :P

Fortunately, there are other ways for me to do astronomy while in the city! :) I like to participate in some of the space citizen science projects on Zooniverse, and I also do a bit of remote imaging using the telescopes owned by the Tzec Maun foundation at Siding Spring Observatory, whenever the weather permits.

Have you ever tried any of the Zooniverse projects? Galaxy Zoo, Planet Hunters, the Milky Way Project, etc.? In case you haven't, they can be found here:

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects

They're loads of fun, and you get help classify scientific data while you're at it!

Clear Skies!
@ZannaDragon
Hi! I want to join. I don't have answers to a lot of bigger questions, because of my lack of advanced knowledge. However, a enthusiastic space lover, and owner of quite a collection of space games to boot. Hope to meet you all!
@ZannaDragon
Hi! I want to join. I don't have answers to a lot of bigger questions, because of my lack of advanced knowledge. However, a enthusiastic space lover, and owner of quite a collection of space games to boot. Hope to meet you all!
formally LCice/FR+3/He or Him | Please Ping Me
Space/Band/Video Game/WWII History Nerd
INFJ/Ace-Aro/Welcome to Messages
oie_Xj_B1a3gk_Y0hg.png
"In theory, It should all work out fine in the end."
@ZannaDragon
Oh my gosh, I just saw this! I never knew there was such an awesome club! If possible I would also love to join. I love space and everything about it and would one day like to work at NASA, even though it's far fetched.
@ZannaDragon
Oh my gosh, I just saw this! I never knew there was such an awesome club! If possible I would also love to join. I love space and everything about it and would one day like to work at NASA, even though it's far fetched.
Anaik ~ 18 ~ Female ~
item_dreameater_tusk_by_dogi_crimson-dabur4b.gifreflective_fish_scales_by_dogi_crimson-da5pkc1.giffood_manaweed_by_dogi_crimson-dabetes.gifGrotesque-2-L.png37971484p.pngGrotesque-2-R.pngfood_cindershroom_by_dogi_crimson-da8qcfn.gifcerdae_sparkle_by_dogi_crimson-da6i1rp.giffood_miniature_potash_fruit_by_dogi_crimson-daejr0n.gif
@ZannaDragon
I've always really loved space! But I live in the city so I never get a good view of the stars, although I've been on several school camping trips where I got a really good look at them though. Is it okay if I join?
@ZannaDragon
I've always really loved space! But I live in the city so I never get a good view of the stars, although I've been on several school camping trips where I got a really good look at them though. Is it okay if I join?
smLqC.gifXBPzf.gifW3eb9.gif
1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77