Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Una Pregunta
1 2 3
@radiocreep

I got here late but I also agree that the first one is right. The second sounds awkward. @Marduk mentioned that the "yo" isn't necessary but just to make it a bit easier, it's totally okay to leave it there if you want. With or without "yo" it's still correct.
@radiocreep

I got here late but I also agree that the first one is right. The second sounds awkward. @Marduk mentioned that the "yo" isn't necessary but just to make it a bit easier, it's totally okay to leave it there if you want. With or without "yo" it's still correct.
@radiocreep

Not native (not even fluent), but I'm actually studying this right now! It depends on what you're trying to say. 'Lo' is a direct object pronoun, it refers to a thing or a person that has already been mentioned. So, if I were to say "I liked the salad, it was very good!", the word "it" would be my direct object pronoun (referring to the salad).

So if you're saying "The steak is good" you would use "El bistec es bueno". But if you're saying something to the effect of "The steak is good, I liked it" it would be "El bistec es bueno, me lo gusta."

At least, that's as far as I understand it!
@radiocreep

Not native (not even fluent), but I'm actually studying this right now! It depends on what you're trying to say. 'Lo' is a direct object pronoun, it refers to a thing or a person that has already been mentioned. So, if I were to say "I liked the salad, it was very good!", the word "it" would be my direct object pronoun (referring to the salad).

So if you're saying "The steak is good" you would use "El bistec es bueno". But if you're saying something to the effect of "The steak is good, I liked it" it would be "El bistec es bueno, me lo gusta."

At least, that's as far as I understand it!
B6ve782.gif
@CortezEspartaco2
Thank you for letting me know (never know when to use the el and la and all)

@Sneaky
Okay, I'm not really sure what I'm saying to be honest. I think the goal is to say, and Enrique serves it/served it.
But I'm really glad to here from someone who's in the same boat with learning and all (unofficial final tomorrow *cries*)
@CortezEspartaco2
Thank you for letting me know (never know when to use the el and la and all)

@Sneaky
Okay, I'm not really sure what I'm saying to be honest. I think the goal is to say, and Enrique serves it/served it.
But I'm really glad to here from someone who's in the same boat with learning and all (unofficial final tomorrow *cries*)
wMXAg3w.png
@radiocreep

Oh, man, rough. My final's not for a couple weeks yet, thank god. From my perspective, you're doing A ok if what you're trying to say "and Enrique serves it". That being said, I'm a student too, and probably not the best person to trust. XD

Any chance that your teacher will give you a quick rundown if you ask her about it before the test?
@radiocreep

Oh, man, rough. My final's not for a couple weeks yet, thank god. From my perspective, you're doing A ok if what you're trying to say "and Enrique serves it". That being said, I'm a student too, and probably not the best person to trust. XD

Any chance that your teacher will give you a quick rundown if you ask her about it before the test?
B6ve782.gif
@Radiocreep
@Sneaky is right! "Lo" usually refers to something that has already been mentioned.

The sentence "The steak is good, I liked it" translates to "El bistec es bueno, me gustó."
In that case, you don't really use "lo".
But if you said "The steak is good. I ate it." it would translate to "El bistec es bueno. Me lo comí."

When saying "Enrique serves it", you would say "Enrique lo sirve", meaning Enrique is serving the steak in the present. It is implied that you're talking about steak.
As for "Enrique served it", it's "Enrique lo sirvió". Same thing as the last one, but in past. It still uses "lo"!

Not sure if that's understandable, lma o... And I hope you do well in your test! Languages can be hard -u- And yeah, d'ya think your teacher can help? I know I appreciate when teachers go over things with you before a test.
@Radiocreep
@Sneaky is right! "Lo" usually refers to something that has already been mentioned.

The sentence "The steak is good, I liked it" translates to "El bistec es bueno, me gustó."
In that case, you don't really use "lo".
But if you said "The steak is good. I ate it." it would translate to "El bistec es bueno. Me lo comí."

When saying "Enrique serves it", you would say "Enrique lo sirve", meaning Enrique is serving the steak in the present. It is implied that you're talking about steak.
As for "Enrique served it", it's "Enrique lo sirvió". Same thing as the last one, but in past. It still uses "lo"!

Not sure if that's understandable, lma o... And I hope you do well in your test! Languages can be hard -u- And yeah, d'ya think your teacher can help? I know I appreciate when teachers go over things with you before a test.
Paratroopa-MH3on3.gifBoo-MH3on3.gifBowser-MH3on3.gifBoo-MH3on3.gifParatroopa-MH3on3.gif
@radiocreep
Spanis is my first language, so I can say the correct one is the first.
Since when we use "la" is to reference to a specific thing like

"Dame la pelota"

But the second is Ok too, since the person is talking directly about the milk.
Example:I always say "Dame la leche", cause I'm speaking directly about it.

Sorry if is not clear, I'm not a tecaher :P
@radiocreep
Spanis is my first language, so I can say the correct one is the first.
Since when we use "la" is to reference to a specific thing like

"Dame la pelota"

But the second is Ok too, since the person is talking directly about the milk.
Example:I always say "Dame la leche", cause I'm speaking directly about it.

Sorry if is not clear, I'm not a tecaher :P
sq1IuCD.png wvz5N8O.png 4Bz0H0h.png Have a nice day!

pB4mtr0.png Pairs + Sales 37rb42a.png fUHWFTE.png

1LT0ZsJ.png ck9Yfve.png ujKGCQj.png 40565.png
@Sneaky
Technically mine shouldn't be for another two weeks but apparently my teacher thought it'd be a good idea to give one out to a class that is a.) mostly failing and b.) mostly freshmen who have never taken a final before...

@nonbinary @Nulume
Thank you for the free language lessons :'D
I hope I'm understanding you guys right!
@Sneaky
Technically mine shouldn't be for another two weeks but apparently my teacher thought it'd be a good idea to give one out to a class that is a.) mostly failing and b.) mostly freshmen who have never taken a final before...

@nonbinary @Nulume
Thank you for the free language lessons :'D
I hope I'm understanding you guys right!
wMXAg3w.png
@radiocreep

It'd be: "Yo pido agua, pero el camarero me sirve leche"

Saying only "sirve leche" means that he's serving it to everyone. Unless he does that or its just a exercise phrase.

Bistec is "el bistec".

Spanish can be complicated with all the gender related ******** and verbs and all the past/present/future.
@radiocreep

It'd be: "Yo pido agua, pero el camarero me sirve leche"

Saying only "sirve leche" means that he's serving it to everyone. Unless he does that or its just a exercise phrase.

Bistec is "el bistec".

Spanish can be complicated with all the gender related ******** and verbs and all the past/present/future.
19574.png
Native speaking here! And I agree with pretty much everyone. In the first case you've mentioned the correct one is [quote]"Yo pido agua, pero el camarero sirve leche."[/quote] In this case the lack of use of a personal pronoun is the rule because you are directly talking about the noun (in this case leche) As for the second the correct one is: [quote]"(Yo) pido una ensalada y Enrique la sirve."[/quote] In this case you have supressed the use of the noun you are talking about (ensalada) in the second part of the sentence, and therefore you need something to lead people to realize what are you talking about...and as you are talking about the "ensalada" on the subject, you'll be using "la", since ensalada is a femenine noun.
Native speaking here! And I agree with pretty much everyone.

In the first case you've mentioned the correct one is
Quote:
"Yo pido agua, pero el camarero sirve leche."
In this case the lack of use of a personal pronoun is the rule because you are directly talking about the noun (in this case leche)

As for the second the correct one is:
Quote:
"(Yo) pido una ensalada y Enrique la sirve."

In this case you have supressed the use of the noun you are talking about (ensalada) in the second part of the sentence, and therefore you need something to lead people to realize what are you talking about...and as you are talking about the "ensalada" on the subject, you'll be using "la", since ensalada is a femenine noun.
@radiocreep

Another native speaker here. I agree with most people too.

I would say 'Pido agua, pero el camarero ME sirve leche.' Or 'me sirvió' if you want to use a past tense.

The 'yo' is not wrong, but it sounds weird. The idea is that 'pido' can only refer to you, so there's no need to repeat the you. Of course, if your teacher wants the 'yo', put it there. The important part of an exam is to pass it with the highest possible mark.

Also, it would be better to add 'me' if you want to say that you were served milk. Your sentence could be understood as saying that milk is served in general, as if the waiter only served milk to all his customers. It's not a problem in this isolated sentence, but it could lead to misunderstandings in conversations or whole texts. It's similar in sentences such as the following: 'Dame un vaso de agua.' You need to have 'me' there. Without 'me' this sentence would be 'Give a glass of water' instead of 'Give me a glass of water.'

About the example of the steak: 'El bistec es bueno, me gusta.' Without the 'lo'. I can look up where you need the pronouns and where you leave them out if your teacher hasn't explained that.

Good luck on your test! I'm currently learning French and have similar problems with some parts of the French grammar.
@radiocreep

Another native speaker here. I agree with most people too.

I would say 'Pido agua, pero el camarero ME sirve leche.' Or 'me sirvió' if you want to use a past tense.

The 'yo' is not wrong, but it sounds weird. The idea is that 'pido' can only refer to you, so there's no need to repeat the you. Of course, if your teacher wants the 'yo', put it there. The important part of an exam is to pass it with the highest possible mark.

Also, it would be better to add 'me' if you want to say that you were served milk. Your sentence could be understood as saying that milk is served in general, as if the waiter only served milk to all his customers. It's not a problem in this isolated sentence, but it could lead to misunderstandings in conversations or whole texts. It's similar in sentences such as the following: 'Dame un vaso de agua.' You need to have 'me' there. Without 'me' this sentence would be 'Give a glass of water' instead of 'Give me a glass of water.'

About the example of the steak: 'El bistec es bueno, me gusta.' Without the 'lo'. I can look up where you need the pronouns and where you leave them out if your teacher hasn't explained that.

Good luck on your test! I'm currently learning French and have similar problems with some parts of the French grammar.
Female
tumblr_ny2ndzv4FB1u3noruo1_100.png qSaPwJQ.png
20VRtmo.png
1 2 3