Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Kitten help!
Hi... my cat gave birth today and I noticed that the smaller of the four is having trouble with nursing. If I put him near a teat he wiggles back and just cuddles with mama cat. I want to try and help because I'm worried about how the other three are nursing plenty, but he's having trouble... does anybody know what I could do to help?
Hi... my cat gave birth today and I noticed that the smaller of the four is having trouble with nursing. If I put him near a teat he wiggles back and just cuddles with mama cat. I want to try and help because I'm worried about how the other three are nursing plenty, but he's having trouble... does anybody know what I could do to help?
CPp4o9H.png
@livelynoodle Sometimes you actually have to put the teat in their mouth before they realize they need to latch on. Some babies are a little slower than others to pick up on what to do and need a little extra nudge in the right direction.

If he's not eating soon, congrats, you may need to bottle-feeding the kitten until it figures things out. Check around some sites online for tips on this--it is very time- and labor-intensive, and yes you do need KITTEN milk replacer (usually sold with the name, appropriately enough, KMR) and a kitten-sized bottle. If it comes to this, please remember that kittens need to be bottle-fed flat on their stomachs. Not sitting up, and definitely not on their backs like human babies.

If he's not eating well tonight*, you'll want to have a vet check him out first thing tomorrow (bring momma and all the kittens along). It is possible for kittens to have physical birth defects that can prevent them from nursing, or any other number of things that cause failure to thrive, which a vet may be able to help with.

*I don't know where you are or what time it is now or how long the kitten's been without food, if vet clinics are still open in your area you may want to call them now and ask their advice, otherwise do so first thing in the morning.
@livelynoodle Sometimes you actually have to put the teat in their mouth before they realize they need to latch on. Some babies are a little slower than others to pick up on what to do and need a little extra nudge in the right direction.

If he's not eating soon, congrats, you may need to bottle-feeding the kitten until it figures things out. Check around some sites online for tips on this--it is very time- and labor-intensive, and yes you do need KITTEN milk replacer (usually sold with the name, appropriately enough, KMR) and a kitten-sized bottle. If it comes to this, please remember that kittens need to be bottle-fed flat on their stomachs. Not sitting up, and definitely not on their backs like human babies.

If he's not eating well tonight*, you'll want to have a vet check him out first thing tomorrow (bring momma and all the kittens along). It is possible for kittens to have physical birth defects that can prevent them from nursing, or any other number of things that cause failure to thrive, which a vet may be able to help with.

*I don't know where you are or what time it is now or how long the kitten's been without food, if vet clinics are still open in your area you may want to call them now and ask their advice, otherwise do so first thing in the morning.
bmc86yo.pngC7i9WrC.pngcOEuydC.pngMUSskfQ.png
@Dinogrrl thank you! My unkle should be at the store looking for formula after he gets off work (which is any minute now) so I hope that may work. But thank you so much. I'll make sure to do as you've suggested. =3
@Dinogrrl thank you! My unkle should be at the store looking for formula after he gets off work (which is any minute now) so I hope that may work. But thank you so much. I'll make sure to do as you've suggested. =3
CPp4o9H.png
It's with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of the kitten, named "**** boy" for his dark raccoonish mask... there wasn't much we could do to prevent it....
It's with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of the kitten, named "**** boy" for his dark raccoonish mask... there wasn't much we could do to prevent it....
CPp4o9H.png
No offence, but the internet is no place to be when a cat's life is at stake. Go to a vet, or someone who knows how to care for issues and sick kittens. If you don't know how to fix things like this or find someone who can your cats should be spayed/nuetered.
No offence, but the internet is no place to be when a cat's life is at stake. Go to a vet, or someone who knows how to care for issues and sick kittens. If you don't know how to fix things like this or find someone who can your cats should be spayed/nuetered.
no