Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | My grandma fears me now.
1 2 3 4
@qweee she was... I miss her alot....the first full year without her passed by on the 25th...
at least I have the memories..right?
@qweee she was... I miss her alot....the first full year without her passed by on the 25th...
at least I have the memories..right?
frsig_by_shadria_anarchy-dc719i3.png
@Shadria oh, I'm sorry. Memories are good.
@Shadria oh, I'm sorry. Memories are good.
Aaaaaaa
evQCX9v.gifevQCX9v.gifevQCX9v.gifevQCX9v.gif
@Shadria:

Your mom sounds great. I'm sorry you miss her. I hope things get better.

@qweee:

My parents aren't like that. I'm not really close to my dad, so I don't talk to him about weird/geeky stuff I like, but my mom knows all about my obsessions. She's pretty cool with it, and I share my fanfics with her. She really enjoys reading them, and it's fun for me to send her new chapters because it's a lot more personal than random people reading it online, even though I do post my fanfiction online.

I feel bad for everyone in the thread whose parents don't get or outright dismiss the stuff they like. I don't get why some people think death metal or geeky stuff or whatever is weird or bad. I mean, if I had a kid who was emo or liked weird things, I wouldn't judge even if I didn't like what they were into, unless what they were into was extremely violent/full of sex/went against the values I was teaching them/etc.
@Shadria:

Your mom sounds great. I'm sorry you miss her. I hope things get better.

@qweee:

My parents aren't like that. I'm not really close to my dad, so I don't talk to him about weird/geeky stuff I like, but my mom knows all about my obsessions. She's pretty cool with it, and I share my fanfics with her. She really enjoys reading them, and it's fun for me to send her new chapters because it's a lot more personal than random people reading it online, even though I do post my fanfiction online.

I feel bad for everyone in the thread whose parents don't get or outright dismiss the stuff they like. I don't get why some people think death metal or geeky stuff or whatever is weird or bad. I mean, if I had a kid who was emo or liked weird things, I wouldn't judge even if I didn't like what they were into, unless what they were into was extremely violent/full of sex/went against the values I was teaching them/etc.
qvTNuJR.pnglogo16_zps302d6ac7.png Utter Phasma Trash
@MythGriffin24
I'm glad your mom gets you. My mom is always questioning my obsessions, and she downright hates Doctor Who.
@MythGriffin24
I'm glad your mom gets you. My mom is always questioning my obsessions, and she downright hates Doctor Who.
Aaaaaaa
@qweee:

Why would she question them? It sounds like you like pretty normal stuff. Also, why does she not like Dr. Who-does it go against her beliefs somehow or does she just think the show is bad? I don't watch DW but it seems like a pretty harmless scifi show to me.
@qweee:

Why would she question them? It sounds like you like pretty normal stuff. Also, why does she not like Dr. Who-does it go against her beliefs somehow or does she just think the show is bad? I don't watch DW but it seems like a pretty harmless scifi show to me.
@MythGriffin24 She doesn't like Doctor Who because she thinks it's too long, and she doesn't understand the British accents. She also laughed at me because I cried when Rose got put into another dimension. She also doesn't understand why I watch gamers on youtube, and why I watch Dan and Phil. And don't even mention Destiel or she will totally flip out, because she's religious. She also doesn't like how me and my dad love watching marvel movie, or how I will call my dad "ada" Which is elvish for dad. So, yeah... she doesn't get me.

Sorry for kinda ranting.
@MythGriffin24 She doesn't like Doctor Who because she thinks it's too long, and she doesn't understand the British accents. She also laughed at me because I cried when Rose got put into another dimension. She also doesn't understand why I watch gamers on youtube, and why I watch Dan and Phil. And don't even mention Destiel or she will totally flip out, because she's religious. She also doesn't like how me and my dad love watching marvel movie, or how I will call my dad "ada" Which is elvish for dad. So, yeah... she doesn't get me.

Sorry for kinda ranting.
Aaaaaaa
@qweee:

It's ok. Your mom sounds really judgmental.

Also, what kind of person doesn't understand British accents? I mean, there are so many British actors who are popular in America right now that you'd think most people could understand them. Unless the accents on DW are really thick, why would she not understand them? And OF COURSE it's long; all TV shows are basically long because that's just the kind of medium they're in! XD

AND WHO LAUGHS WHEN YOU CRY OVER A FICTIONAL CHARACTER? Has this woman never gotten attached to any fictional character? Everyone feels sad for a fictional character at least once in their life. Heck, when I watched HTTYD with my mom, she thumped her foot at the part where Toothless is chained up because she was worried about him. (My mom is a sap, so maybe that's beside the point. :P) EVERYONE gets attached. It's like crying for a friend. Just....

Is your mom one of those really religious people who finds everything that isn't religious offensive? I'm not trying to offend your mom, but she sounds really judgmental. It's one thing if she doesn't understand what you like but respectfully agrees to disagree with you. It's another thing to judge you and laugh at you for what you like.

I'm sorry, but your mom sounds kind of awful.
@qweee:

It's ok. Your mom sounds really judgmental.

Also, what kind of person doesn't understand British accents? I mean, there are so many British actors who are popular in America right now that you'd think most people could understand them. Unless the accents on DW are really thick, why would she not understand them? And OF COURSE it's long; all TV shows are basically long because that's just the kind of medium they're in! XD

AND WHO LAUGHS WHEN YOU CRY OVER A FICTIONAL CHARACTER? Has this woman never gotten attached to any fictional character? Everyone feels sad for a fictional character at least once in their life. Heck, when I watched HTTYD with my mom, she thumped her foot at the part where Toothless is chained up because she was worried about him. (My mom is a sap, so maybe that's beside the point. :P) EVERYONE gets attached. It's like crying for a friend. Just....

Is your mom one of those really religious people who finds everything that isn't religious offensive? I'm not trying to offend your mom, but she sounds really judgmental. It's one thing if she doesn't understand what you like but respectfully agrees to disagree with you. It's another thing to judge you and laugh at you for what you like.

I'm sorry, but your mom sounds kind of awful.
Before my great aunt passed, she thought everything I drew was Pokemon or Spyro. xP (Of course, that came along after she had a stroke. She never understood that Sonic was not a Pokemon.)

My parents are perfectly okay with and try to keep up with my interests (since I insist on talking about them a lot anyways), although my dad is truck driving a lot and doesn't really get to keep up with things. He does love watching Gravity Falls with me; just got caught up today! ^^

My mom also likes to watch GF, but can also name at least 10 Pokemon off the top of her head, at least 15 Sonic characters, and almost every FNaF character. She's currently learning Undertale characters. xD So far she only really knows Papyrus, Sans, and Flowey, but hey. Progress. (I think I now have her terrified of flowers too.)
Before my great aunt passed, she thought everything I drew was Pokemon or Spyro. xP (Of course, that came along after she had a stroke. She never understood that Sonic was not a Pokemon.)

My parents are perfectly okay with and try to keep up with my interests (since I insist on talking about them a lot anyways), although my dad is truck driving a lot and doesn't really get to keep up with things. He does love watching Gravity Falls with me; just got caught up today! ^^

My mom also likes to watch GF, but can also name at least 10 Pokemon off the top of her head, at least 15 Sonic characters, and almost every FNaF character. She's currently learning Undertale characters. xD So far she only really knows Papyrus, Sans, and Flowey, but hey. Progress. (I think I now have her terrified of flowers too.)
8550aee9e6b0240ca32ebdcfd04fa62ae2e7e644.gif
73a7d53744f1550afcf2d03fe0ec197aeb84e76d.gif1b1f6d94f932296bf41fbe9a2c0ff9d5292c69d8.gif54b04308bbd423d93f4e5fc7fb40a5afee4f256d.gif6c8b9aca5e1946f522f766dc4d5891390b55bf3d.gif
z3FSuck.pngU0bFCPN.pngl8NOdbs.png
FqAY3t1.pnghh5n4WA.pngsbmtjDC.png
g31.png
@MythGriffin24 Idk about the accents part they aren't very thick, and there's a thing called subtitles. She also doesn't like Harry potter. WHO DIDN'T LIKE HARRY POTTER AT SOME POINT! Well, it was my first fandom, so I might be bias.
As for the crying over fictional characters, I KNOW she cried over Mufasa in the lion king. She's not overly religous, but she doesn't like any romance that's not straight. I mean, I have a lesbian friend! Just geez, mom.

Edited for spelling.
@MythGriffin24 Idk about the accents part they aren't very thick, and there's a thing called subtitles. She also doesn't like Harry potter. WHO DIDN'T LIKE HARRY POTTER AT SOME POINT! Well, it was my first fandom, so I might be bias.
As for the crying over fictional characters, I KNOW she cried over Mufasa in the lion king. She's not overly religous, but she doesn't like any romance that's not straight. I mean, I have a lesbian friend! Just geez, mom.

Edited for spelling.
Aaaaaaa
@qweee:

I dunno. Maybe she just doesn't like people from other countries? I mean, I can't imagine anyone not understanding British accents. They're some of the easiest accents to understand, more or less. As for Harry Potter....well, I'm kind of neutral because I read most of the books as a kid, but I don't have strong feelings about it. :/ But that's cool that it was your introduction to fandoms!

So whenever you're crying over fictional characters, bring up that she cried during The Lion King. Hah! Hypocrite.

Sorry your mom isn't accepting of people who aren't straight. I hope that she's ok with your friend, and if she isn't, I hope your mom never bugs your friend, because nobody deserves to be harassed for who they love.

@qweee:

I dunno. Maybe she just doesn't like people from other countries? I mean, I can't imagine anyone not understanding British accents. They're some of the easiest accents to understand, more or less. As for Harry Potter....well, I'm kind of neutral because I read most of the books as a kid, but I don't have strong feelings about it. :/ But that's cool that it was your introduction to fandoms!

So whenever you're crying over fictional characters, bring up that she cried during The Lion King. Hah! Hypocrite.

Sorry your mom isn't accepting of people who aren't straight. I hope that she's ok with your friend, and if she isn't, I hope your mom never bugs your friend, because nobody deserves to be harassed for who they love.

1 2 3 4